HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player grades (MOD: Midseason)

Old
11-11-2013, 03:57 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

vCash: 500
Player grades (MOD: Midseason)

Well folks, its 4am on a Monday and I just finally finished my research paper. Sleep isn't an option, so I figured it would be the perfect time to start a new thread

Since we're near the quarter-mark (18 games into the season), I thought we could start up a thread giving each player a letter grade pertaining to their performance so far this year (same kind of thing we did last year). You can give more insight to your rankings if you want, I'm just doing it because I have all the time in the world

Mark your grades based on your expectations for that player coming into the year.

Zetterberg A+ On pace for over 40 goals, most consistent player on the team - brings it each and every night
Datsyuk A Great as always, a bit inconsistent but nonetheless great
Bertuzzi A- Thought his career was over - one of the few players who plays well with Pavel - deserves more credit for first line's success
Franzen D Haven't given up on him like most but he's gotta do better when he returns
Weiss D+ Obviously not thrilled but he's earned his contract the past week or so - great in all three zones - needs consistent linemates who can finish
Alfredsson B+ Way better than expected from the old guy, but wish he would contribute more on ES especially with Weiss
Tatar B Really earning Babcock's trust lately - he's a puckhound and is real feisty - sometimes tries to do too much (though understandable)
Andersson C- Picked up his game recently, always been smart but needs speed around him
Abdelkader C Didn't work out with D&Z - doing fine when down in the lineup
Helm A+++ Just happy to see him out there - still got the speed too
Cleary F Worst forward on the team by far - even Babcock of all people his noticing his poor play
Miller D+ Needs to be better
Eaves C- Okay, no expectations
Samuelsson C- Same as Eaves
Glendening C Doing a good enough job filling in

Kronwall A+ Not getting enough love around here - he's played like a legit #1 on both sides of the ice
Ericsson B Just solid
DeKeyser A- Really caught fire recently - gonna be here for a while folks
Kindl C Not a good start offensively but really picking it up recently - steadily improving defensively - needs some more help around him on the PP
Smith D+ Not nearly as bad as people are saying around here but still not great - can't blame him too much for not producing when he's an offensive defenseman being played like a pure shutdown defenseman - give him time people! (and a better partner)
Quincey F No comment
Lashoff B Well he's no longer the worst defenseman on the team, been okay as a filler - somewhat surprising considering last year
Ouellet B+ Solid in both games - believe he's our 5th best defenseman
Almquist B+ Underrated around here - his abilities are tough to come by and letting him go would be a mistake

Howard C- Two good games and his stats will be back to normal - just way too inconsistent right now albeit an poor defense in front of him
Gustavsson A++ Jimmy who?
Mrazek A+++ Jonas who?

Looking at my rankings, it pretty much follows the idea that the Wings need their depth and Jimmy to step up.

Last edited by SoupNazi: 01-08-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Title
The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Tomas W

Pretty good grates Nose, I agree for most part. Dont know if I have the energy to grade them all.

Think Weiss deserves a C or C-, his stats arent good, but I think I've seen enough potential to have some hopes for him, whenever he comes back from injury.

Alfie, maybe a B+ is a bit much, I give him a plan "B", even if he is 40+ of age I have high expectations of him, as he actually makes a pretty good sum of money, plus he is still fit enough to score a bit more often than what do right now.

The A+++ you give is with players that have of natural reasons not played much, I guess that's why you gave them such goofy grades, although yes they have played well from what I've seen
I think the wings should maybe think of leting Gus or Mrazek play some more games, just to let Jimmy know that beeing inconsistant is not expected from a NHL starter.

Last edited by Tomas W: 11-11-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:07 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Zetterberg A+ On pace for over 40 goals, most consistent player on the team - brings it each and every night
Bertuzzi A- Thought his career was over - one of the few players who plays well with Pavel - deserves more credit for first line's success
Franzen D Haven't given up on him like most but he's gotta do better when he returns
Weiss D+ Obviously not thrilled but he's earned his contract the past week or so - great in all three zones - needs consistent linemates who can finish
Alfredsson B+ Way better than expected from the old guy, but wish he would contribute more on ES especially with Weiss
Tatar B Really earning Babcock's trust lately - he's a puckhound and is real feisty - sometimes tries to do too much (though understandable)
Andersson C- Picked up his game recently, always been smart but needs speed around him
Cleary F Worst forward on the team by far - even Babcock of all people his noticing his poor play

Kronwall A+ Not getting enough love around here - he's played like a legit #1 on both sides of the ice
Ericsson B Just solid
Kindl C Not a good start offensively but really picking it up recently - steadily improving defensively - needs some more help around him on the PP
Smith D+ Not nearly as bad as people are saying around here but still not great - can't blame him too much for not producing when he's an offensive defenseman being played like a pure shutdown defenseman - give him time people! (and a better partner)
Quincey F No comment
Lashoff B Well he's no longer the worst defenseman on the team, been okay as a filler - somewhat surprising considering last year
Almquist B+ Underrated around here - his abilities are tough to come by and letting him go would be a mistake

Howard C- Two good games and his stats will be back to normal - just way too inconsistent right now albeit an poor defense in front of him
Mrazek A+++ Jonas who?

Zetterberg A
Datsyuk A+
Bertuzzi B
Franzen C-
Weiss C
Alfie B
Tatar B-
Andersson C
Abdelkader B+
Helm A
Cleary isnt a low enough grade
Miller F
Eaves D
Sammy D
Glendening C+

Kronwall B
Ericsson B
Dekeyser A
Kindl C-
Smith F
Quincey isnt a low enough grade is worst than cleary somehow which is AMAZING
Lashoff C
Ouellet A
Almquist C+

Howard B
Gustavsson A
Mrazek A

I gave Weiss a C basically get production issue but figured he would struggle early with the wrist he has but he looks good and playing him with scrubs doesnt help.

Think if put him with alfie or bertuzzi and tatar we would have a second scoring line lol. Cant put cleary or abby on that line though with weiss just aint gonna work

Anyone with a D or lower grade I am ok with just cutting and moving on sammy makes no sense so pressbox him. Cleary aint getting cut.

Still have hope for smith but got to get him away from quincey.

I am really hoping if we are waiving guys eaves etc.. just let quincey go instead of others honestly cant see the kids AA or Ouellet really playing much worse actually think we will get a better product lol.

I have never been as high on smith and his offense as the rest of you it seems. I see better guys coming so to me he is a whatever. I will give him more time cause he plays well with ouellet or others. I dont see him here though in future I have been wrong though before

The goalies for back ups gave higher grades than howard but they are no where no way shape or form the better options. I gave them A's cause of in back up rolls they have been perfect

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:07 AM
ReliEnt

I agree for the most part. I think Glendening could easily play eaves, and sammy for that matter, out of a job. I expect a little more out of abdelkader. Hes had top line minutes in the part, somewhat undeserving, but he really hasn't been an offensive threat at all. What I do disagree with are you goaltending rankings. I think Jimmy has been solid. Room to improve but given the amount of breakaways we give up hes kept us in games for sure. Gus has been good but once again he cant stay healthy for more than a few games. Mrazak was good in his spot start but the wings dominated Edmonton and only allowed 14 shots.

Howard B+
Gustavson B-
Mrazak B

ReliEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:12 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliEnt View Post
I agree for the most part. I think Glendening could easily play eaves, and sammy for that matter, out of a job. I expect a little more out of abdelkader. Hes had top line minutes in the part, somewhat undeserving, but he really hasn't been an offensive threat at all. What I do disagree with are you goaltending rankings. I think Jimmy has been solid. Room to improve but given the amount of breakaways we give up hes kept us in games for sure. Gus has been good but once again he cant stay healthy for more than a few games. Mrazak was good in his spot start but the wings dominated Edmonton and only allowed 14 shots.

Howard B+
Gustavson B-
Mrazak B
Abby has hands of stone is just what it is if he is on third or fourth line and physical and gets offensive shots etc..? I am happy as hell and that is happening I do not expect him to produce. He just is not a finisher I really think though he is one of our best players when used correctly and him and helm will get better and better and scare people in the future. That is what is needed for teams to be a little more afraid instead of saying ok go full force against detroit lower lines they suck.

I want them afraid of a shorthanded goal. I want them afraid to go back and forth. Helm's speed and abby physicality and play to me is scary got to figure out best fit with them and man if we had a finisher on that line man that might be interesting as hell.

Old
11-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Forwards

Zetterberg - A I have to say, he's really impressed me this season. I think he's been the best forward on the team and that's obviously saying something with #13 on it too.
Datsyuk - A Even though I rank Zetterberg ahead of Pavs, there's no doubt that Datsyuk has still been great. Still the better defensive forward, and I just hope he stays healthy. A little inconsistent offensively, but he still plays substantially better than half the forwards on the team.
Alfredsson - A- Did anyone really expect Alfy to play like he has? He has been a great piece on the power play, and the numbers are nice too.
Helm - A- He hasn't lost and step, and his presence was needed.
Tatar - B In games where we're getting dominated, he tends to be a bright spot. Too many turnovers, but he's been good.
Bertuzzi - B Has looked in the top 6, compliments the top line well
Weiss - B- The numbers will come with time, his overall play is actually decent. PK and even strength.
Franzen - C+ Obviously expect more from him, but that's been the case with Mule for a while now.
Glendening - C+ I don't understand how he hasn't gotten much praise in the time he played here. He's essentially a lesser Helm. Good energy, and good PKer. Can't ask for much more out of a 4th line fill-in.
Andersson - C Vanilla player, but really doesn't stand out as good or bad. Good at faceoffs
Abdelkader - C- I'm not even sure what to expect from him anymore. No finishing touch, but can play the body. I've never been a big fan of Abby though.
Miller - C- Similar case as Andersson, not good, not bad.
Eaves - C- Haven't seen a lot of Eaves yet, but he's been decent.
Samuelsson - D+ He serves no purpose on this team... And hasn't even looked good out there.
Cleary - F The guy can't even skate anymore. How does this team think he can provide anything else?

I'll do defense/goaltending later.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Players who deserve to be DRW and not waived/traded/etc

Zetterberg A+
Datsyuk A
Helm A
Bertuzzi B+
Weiss C
Alfie B
Tatar B
Glendening C+
Tootoo C+
Andersson C
Abdlekader C

Kronwall A
Dekeyser A
Ericsson B
Ouellet B
Almquist C+
Lashoff C

Howard B
Gustavsson B
Mrazek A

Players who deserve to be waived/traded/etc

Franzen D
Cleary F-
Miller D-
Sammy D
Smith D
Quincey F-
Kindl D-
Eaves- D

Kindl and Smith deserve to have longer periods of "look" however if the right deal were to come along I wouldnt hesitate to move either one

Franzens contract should be bought out the minute we can, if not, his albatross contract should be traded to anyone dumb enough to take it, this isnt 2008 so what he did in those playoffs means jack ****.

Miller hasent earned his three contract and his role and skill set can be found for 1/2 the cost from Grand Rapids

Quincey is a boat anchor maybe edmonton would be interested

Cleary should be waived, its time holland does his job and puts personal loyalties aside for a change and thinks with his head

Sammy is quite possibly the worst 3 million dollar NTC player in the NHL

Last edited by SoupNazi: 11-11-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Don't circumvent the filter
Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:20 AM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
Players who deserve to be DRW and not waived/traded/etc

Zetterberg A+
Datsyuk A
Helm A
Bertuzzi B+
Weiss C
Alfie B
Tatar B
Glendening C+
Tootoo C+
Andersson C
Abdlekader C

Kronwall A
Dekeyser A
Ericsson B
Ouellet B
Almquist C+
Lashoff C

Howard B
Gustavsson B
Mrazek A

Players who deserve to be waived/traded/etc

Franzen D
Cleary F-
Miller D-
Sammy D
Smith D
Quincey F-
Kindl D-
Eaves- D

Kindl and Smith deserve to have longer periods of "look" however if the right deal were to come along I wouldnt hesitate to move either one

Franzens contract should be bought out the minute we can, if not, his albatross contract should be traded to anyone dumb enough to take it, this isnt 2008 so what he did in those playoffs means jack ****.

Miller hasent earned his three contract and his role and skill set can be found for 1/2 the cost from Grand Rapids

Quincey is a boat anchor maybe edmonton would be interested

Cleary should be waived, its time holland does his job and puts personal loyalties aside for a change and thinks with his head

Sammy is quite possibly the worst 3 million dollar NTC player in the NHL
only one disagreement I will reword it Sammy is quite possibly the worst healthy 3 million dollar ntc player in the NHL. I put Clowe as the worst guy after what he has done last year and how he got that contract is just amazing.

He is injured but he will never be worth 3 million again and he gets paid more lol imo. Worst deal of year and is saying something to be in that category lol. Cause there is cleary lol.

Old
11-11-2013, 08:34 AM
odin1981
There can be only 1!

Give clarkson 2 more years tops in toronto and the fans will kill him from the disgust in his play.

odin1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Henkka

I don't think Sammy has been that bad on the ice. Don't remember bad turnovers like Alfie has done or anything.

Babcock just won't use him, so of course his small usage against his high caphit looks bad.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:47 AM
DatsyukianDeke*
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin1981 View Post
Give clarkson 2 more years tops in toronto and the fans will kill him from the disgust in his play.
I currently live in Toronto, and it's already happening. Most Toronto fans didn't even like that contract.

DatsyukianDeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I don't think Sammy has been that bad on the ice. Don't remember bad turnovers like Alfie has done or anything.

Babcock just won't use him, so of course his small usage against his high caphit looks bad.
Yeah, I thought Sammy's looked alright so far. He's skating really well, he's worked for pucks, he's taken the body, etc. If they keep him off the point on the powerplay, I'd like to see him get a longer look while sitting a few others.

11-11-2013, 10:47 AM
odin1981
There can be only 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
I currently live in Toronto, and it's already happening. Most Toronto fans didn't even like that contract.
Lol he hasn't even started to age regress yet oh boy this will be a fun one to watch. Starts making popcorn.

odin1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Johnz96*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Well folks, its 4am on a Monday and I just finally finished my research paper. Sleep isn't an option, so I figured it would be the perfect time to start a new thread

Since we're near the quarter-mark (18 games into the season), I thought we could start up a thread giving each player a letter grade pertaining to their performance so far this year (same kind of thing we did last year). You can give more insight to your rankings if you want, I'm just doing it because I have all the time in the world

Mark your grades based on your expectations for that player coming into the year.

Ericsson B Just solid
Quincey F No comment

Mrazek A+++ Jonas who?

Looking at my rankings, it pretty much follows the idea that the Wings need their depth and Jimmy to step up.
I think that's a pretty accurate asessment although I think you gave too much credence to Bertuzzi. The top line has been equally impressive with all the different players that have played with Pav and Z this season.

Johnz96* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Yeah, I thought Sammy's looked alright so far. He's skating really well, he's worked for pucks, he's taken the body, etc. If they keep him off the point on the powerplay, I'd like to see him get a longer look while sitting a few others.
Yeah, if you ignore the contract. He's looked much better than others given the few games he's played.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Frk It
#TwentyFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz96 View Post
I think that's a pretty accurate asessment although I think you gave too much credence to Bertuzzi. The top line has been equally impressive with all the different players that have played with Pav and Z this season.
That's not true at all. Their numbers are significantly better with Bertuzzi than they are with Abdelkader.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz96 View Post
While Z/D are good even if they have to play 4 on 5, there's really no arguing that Bert has done well up there. Put a guy like Abby or Cleary up there, they might pick up some phantom assists or get pucks bounced off their bodies, but Bert is actually scoring because he has the hockey intelligence to do the right thing with the puck and be in the right place. 5 goals in 18 games ain't too shabby considering he's only been playing up there for a few games.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:06 PM
drw02
I beg to differ

I disagree about Z having an A+. His production is good but he's had a lot of turnovers this year and to me looks slower. He seems to be getting caught by backcheckers much more frequently, stamina seems to be an issue. He's not challenging defenseman. Losing a lot of board battles. He's been alright but A+? No chance.

drw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:30 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
That's not true at all. Their numbers are significantly better with Bertuzzi than they are with Abdelkader.
Isn't most of Bert's scoring happening on the PP though?

I also think that is partially reflected in Franzen's numbers. Johan has collected a ton of points on the PP until this season, if he can't get scoring on the 2nd unit he is going to be in for a really rough year as he is really a PP weapon type taking that away from his game is a big deal.

Bert has played well up on the first line and I am okay with it, always has been about balance, hopefully Abdelkader and Helm can get playing together and create another line with an identity, because we need that.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 05:50 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw02 View Post
I disagree about Z having an A+. His production is good but he's had a lot of turnovers this year and to me looks slower. He seems to be getting caught by backcheckers much more frequently, stamina seems to be an issue. He's not challenging defenseman. Losing a lot of board battles. He's been alright but A+? No chance.
His production is good? No, his production is outstanding. And he doesn't really turn the puck over much. Less than Datsyuk anyway. In fact, he still protects the puck in the offensive zone better than anyone in the league. His speed is average, but it's always been that way. Losing board battles? Sure, maybe 25% of them. He's been the best player on the team, an easy A+.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Isn't most of Bert's scoring happening on the PP though?
6 on es, 3 on pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
In fact, he still protects the puck in the offensive zone better than anyone in the league.
can't agree with that, even with players of similar size. crosby is better.

i agree that his production has been absolutely amazing.

that is also somewhat worrying. bc players don't generally become better players at even strength in their mid30s; and zetterberg is on pace to have his best season 5on5. almost twice more points per ice than what he produced last year. playing with dats helps for sure but there is going to be a drop imo.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:03 PM
drw02
I beg to differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
His production is good? No, his production is outstanding. And he doesn't really turn the puck over much. Less than Datsyuk anyway. In fact, he still protects the puck in the offensive zone better than anyone in the league. His speed is average, but it's always been that way. Losing board battles? Sure, maybe 25% of them. He's been the best player on the team, an easy A+.
His production is good as in he's producing at the level he's expected to. I don't think he's been amazing though. Not trying to hate on the guy, he is a great player, I just don't think his effort has been consistent from game to game and even period to period. A little sluggish at times for my liking.

drw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Frk It
#TwentyFour

I always scoff at any debate where people say Zetterberg>Datsyuk, since I'm a huge Datsyuk homer.

But I believe up until this point so far this season, Zetterberg has been a better player than Datsyuk.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:09 PM
silkyjohnson50*

Zetterberg's production shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. It would be disappointing if it wasn't as good as it is. Who has he played the entire season with? Go back and look at the predictions thread just prior to the season. My first prediction was that Z would have one of his most productive seasons assuming he spent most of the year alongside #13.

Even when Datsyuk doesn't get awarded with points he makes life that much easier for his wingers and creates opportunities. Datsyuk had a pretty poor game by his standards vs Tampa and finished with zero points yet he still directly impacted both of Zetterberg's goals. Neither of those goals happen without Datsyuk's hockey IQ.

With that being said I'd still like to see Datsyuk play more aggressively. He needs to carry the puck through the neutral zone with speed more often. He should be the driving force offensively on his line every single game yet sometimes he sits back. It especially annoys me at 4-on-4 when there's more space. Demand the puck with speed, beat a defender and create a scoring chance dammit.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 04:35 AM
joe89

Quote:
I don't think he's been amazing though. Not trying to hate on the guy, he is a great player, I just don't think his effort has been consistent from game to game and even period to period. A little sluggish at times for my liking.
Have to disagree. I think Z's consistency is literally what's keeping him at a point per game pace. Because he's not the fastest guy(sluggish is the right word, but that's because he actually is slow, not that he isn't trying), not the biggest guy, not the most skilled guy on any given night. Points in his last five games, points in 13 of 18 games on the season. He doesn't have four point nights often like some of the more dynamic offensive threats in the league, who can then go scoreless in a couple of games and still keep their paces.

Quote:
His production is good as in he's producing at the level he's expected to.
27th highest cap hit among forwards in the league. 7th in scoring. Most guys around him in the scoring race would be labeled offense only players, Z is a consistent top10-15 two-way forward. We have our best two forwards on bargain deals(Pavel's new one is maybe "fair enough") and should be thankful they're outproducing their deals on a yearly basis. We've just come to expect it. I think that makes Z/both of them A+ any time they're hovering around point per game and keep steady possession stats(or +/- for the dinosaurs).

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote