HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Did Thrower get injured?

Old
11-11-2013, 04:46 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Silfverberg showed constant development throughout his SEL career. 0.33 ppg at 19, 0.64 ppg at 20 and 1.10 ppg at 21. If Collberg manages to get 30 or so points this year, I'd be more than satisfied.
30 points would be very good. When Eller was in his 19 year old season in the SEL with Frolunda, he had 29 points and was seen as having a very good year at the time. Although if Collberg continues to see time on the 4th line he likely won't be putting up too many points, on the other hand his team is among the top in the SHL and they know he's very likely gone after this season so it creates an interesting situation.

Since he's under contract, I just hope he has a good WJC, starts putting up some points in the SHL and then works hard in the off-season on getting stronger as it's going to be very interesting to see how he handles the jump to the AHL.

Speaking of the WJC', did a little write up on the 4 Nations and WJC's.

http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Did Thrower get injured?
believe so

Old
11-11-2013, 06:19 PM
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk

vCash: 50
Bozon scored. His line has looked good.

Old
11-11-2013, 06:26 PM
The Nightman

I read a few days ago, Thrower got injured by a Blindside hit from Mitch Moroz.

Old
11-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Reway seems to have good speed and unteachable-level high puck skill. I don't see the issue with work ethic in highlights/preseason play since to me he seems pretty relentless with the stickcheck/forecheck and goes after guys non-stop/not afraid of being physical play. I can't say I've seen him in the Q so can't comment there. Pretty good release/backhand too. For a mid round pick, he is really intriguing. The puck-hogging and being too fancy are things that are theoretically most easily fixed as opposed to teaching skill to a disciplined player.

For the most part, the 2013 draft picks are looking better/as expected outside of McCarron...but even he impressed in preseason. Aside from McCarron getting points, can't really ask for more at this point.

2012 draft might need to be re-evaluated. It'll likely be regarded as a good draft from getting Galchenyuk but it isn't looking as 'sexy' as it did an year ago. Collberg seems to light up his age group but can't do well against men. Thrower fell off the map last season but seems to be back on track in his overage year in the WHL. Bozon struggling to put up points after being one of the leagues highest scorers the previous 2 seasons. Vail having a decent season. Hudon seems to be feeling the pains of playing on a bad team. Nystrom might get a contract soon, from what I've seen more skilled than I anticipated.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 11-11-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
2012 draft might need to be re-evaluated. It'll likely be regarded as a good draft from getting Galchenyuk but it isn't looking as 'sexy' as it did an year ago. Collberg seems to light up his age group but can't do well against men. Thrower fell off the map last season but seems to be back on track in his overage year in the WHL. Bozon struggling to put up points after being one of the leagues highest scorers the previous 2 seasons. Vail having a decent season. Hudon seems to be feeling the pains of playing on a bad team. Nystrom might get a contract soon, from what I've seen more skilled than I anticipated.
Every draft should. Still too soon to tell. But for everybody who has been around this board, 2012 was probably the only draft when everybody were ecstatic about it. CLEARLY, that 2012 draft was a winner.....at draft day. But like most of us keep saying, it's great to declare a winner at draft day, but everybody knows this is not where it count the most....it's how they'll end up 4, 5, 6 years down the road of that draft. But 2012 was surely incredibly exciting to be a part of. I still have a lot of faith in Collberg. Thrower looked like a great package of offensive IQ and toughness despite the semi-small stature. Bozon looked like this great naturel scorer, Vail a future Chipchura and Hudon at that rank, was a steal. Nystrom...nobody knew him. But it's not too far fetch that outside of Galchenyuk, the best players to come out of that draft would be the last 2. This is going all over the place for that draft, it's pretty spectacular. But if it can drop like that....it can probably go up again. We'll see.

Old
11-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Every draft should. Still too soon to tell. But for everybody who has been around this board, 2012 was probably the only draft when everybody were ecstatic about it. CLEARLY, that 2012 draft was a winner.....at draft day. But like most of us keep saying, it's great to declare a winner at draft day, but everybody knows this is not where it count the most....it's how they'll end up 4, 5, 6 years down the road of that draft. But 2012 was surely incredibly exciting to be a part of. I still have a lot of faith in Collberg. Thrower looked like a great package of offensive IQ and toughness despite the semi-small stature. Bozon looked like this great naturel scorer, Vail a future Chipchura and Hudon at that rank, was a steal. Nystrom...nobody knew him. But it's not too far fetch that outside of Galchenyuk, the best players to come out of that draft would be the last 2. This is going all over the place for that draft, it's pretty spectacular. But if it can drop like that....it can probably go up again. We'll see.
Yeah, that's why I specifically single 2012 out - almost 'perfect' draft on draft day. 2013 for example was regarded as good on draft day but a lot of people voiced they would have chosen differently from the pick at 25 all the way to the last 3rd rounder. 2012 was probably the most hyped draft I've witnessed for the Habs even outside of the Galchenyuk. Way too soon obviously, I'm one of those people who aren't even a lick worried about McCarron yet, but it's something to think about.

Old
11-11-2013, 09:28 PM
penopekoo

I certainly wouldn't count Collberg out. Swedish league stats are notoriously difficult to interpret, and it can certainly happen that a prospect doesn't get great icetime and then comes to NA and fares much better. He is still practicing, etc, with the team -- I don't think his development year is being completely wasted.

This year is a good opportunity for Thrower to be a leader on his team. He seems to be up to the challenge so far. I don't think we could have hoped for a better season for him (unless, I suppose, he was in the AHL).

Nystrom -- by all reports it's pretty impressive what he's doing with the Dogs given his age, even if his stats don't tell us much. Sounds like he works harder than Avtsin did, and the fact that he signed a PTO for 25 games shows commitment. Really too early to tell with him, though.

Vail/Bozon -- not sure what to think. I doubt either will be a top line scorer in the NHL, but what do I know! As for Hudon, could be anything from a Gallagher to a Corey Locke.

I'd say it's still one of our most intriguing drafts in quite some time.

Old
11-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo View Post
I certainly wouldn't count Collberg out. Swedish league stats are notoriously difficult to interpret, and it can certainly happen that a prospect doesn't get great icetime and then comes to NA and fares much better. He is still practicing, etc, with the team -- I don't think his development year is being completely wasted.

This year is a good opportunity for Thrower to be a leader on his team. He seems to be up to the challenge so far. I don't think we could have hoped for a better season for him (unless, I suppose, he was in the AHL).

Nystrom -- by all reports it's pretty impressive what he's doing with the Dogs given his age, even if his stats don't tell us much. Sounds like he works harder than Avtsin did, and the fact that he signed a PTO for 25 games shows commitment. Really too early to tell with him, though.

Vail/Bozon -- not sure what to think. I doubt either will be a top line scorer in the NHL, but what do I know! As for Hudon, could be anything from a Gallagher to a Corey Locke.

As of now, if I'd be asked to have an opinion right away about certain players, I'd say that I don't expect Thrower and Bozon to ever make it. As most have said about Thrower, he does have a lot of things to go for him....but doesn't possess a great quality. And Bozon, well while he is seen as purely a scorer, I think that at the junior level you need to be more than that to "just" become a pure sniper at the NHL level. And I don't like his competitiveness or lack thereof. Some will say the same for Collberg though....he does possess an incredible quality which is an already NHL shot. Not a bad skater...problem right now do seem to be a question about his overall IQ of the game and how he'll do with the physical aspect of the game. But we'll see. Now....I did say that about Thrower and Bozon....but this is ONLY if I had to say something right now....Their progression isn't done. Might help both guys to have been traded. We'll see...too soon to give up.

Old
11-12-2013, 03:50 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo View Post

Hudon is a boss, don't compare him to Locke. Barring injury, he is pretty much guaranteed to be an NHL player with that skill/IQ.

Old
11-12-2013, 04:38 AM
TiCats

Mac Bennett

Is anyone following Mac Bennett?

Before camp I read an interview with Red Berensen where he said he expected Bennett to be a dominant player in the NCAA this year, even a top 10 player and candidate for the Hobey Baker. He's the captain at Michigan but I haven't read much on here. Three assists in eight games so far is the stat line, does anyone have more info / opinion? Unfortunately it feels like Kristo 2.0 but on defence.

Old
11-12-2013, 07:02 AM
rockjngo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiCats View Post

Before camp I read an interview with Red Berensen where he said he expected Bennett to be a dominant player in the NCAA this year, even a top 10 player and candidate for the Hobey Baker. He's the captain at Michigan but I haven't read much on here. Three assists in eight games so far is the stat line, does anyone have more info / opinion? Unfortunately it feels like Kristo 2.0 but on defence.
He might be one of those players great in junior but doesn't have what it takes for the NHL. Calvin de Haan captained his team and even team Canada and is a bust. I don't expect Mac Bennett to play in the NHL. At 5'11" 180lbs is very small for a defenceman. Francis Bouillon is 5'8" but is 200lbs. Bennett isn't exactly the fastest guy either. At 22 years old, Bennett should have bulk up.

Bennett is:
-small
-slow
-not offensive
-not defensive
-has leadership

Old
11-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Hudon is a boss, don't compare him to Locke. Barring injury, he is pretty much guaranteed to be an NHL player with that skill/IQ.
Tell that to Desharnais !

Old
11-12-2013, 07:55 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiCats View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
He might be one of those players great in junior but doesn't have what it takes for the NHL. Calvin de Haan captained his team and even team Canada and is a bust. I don't expect Mac Bennett to play in the NHL. At 5'11" 180lbs is very small for a defenceman. Francis Bouillon is 5'8" but is 200lbs. Bennett isn't exactly the fastest guy either. At 22 years old, Bennett should have bulk up.

Bennett is:
-small
-slow
-not offensive
-not defensive
-has leadership
Don't ever believe people that don't actually know the real size, weight, skating abilities or anything else about Mac Bennett or his Bloodline they all become good NHLers. Mac will play for the Habs and Pateryn was his Partner two seasons ago for the Wolverines, if no other knowledgeable great than coach Red Berenson says he'll be top ten and a Hobey Baker candidate, bet money on it. The poster below's post is filler, he obviously believes anything he reads.

Old
11-12-2013, 07:55 AM
yoyo999

never seen him play but based on descriptions could be signed as Bulldogs filler.

Old
11-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:

Bennett is:
-small
-slow
-not offensive
-not defensive
-has leadership
Lol what? Bennett is an excellent skater.

Old
11-12-2013, 08:45 AM
ChoseLa

Haha Bennet at 180lbs! He came in has one of the biggest player in camp, he looks like a weight lifter.

Old
11-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Habbadasher

I know nothing about Mac Bennett, but if I recall correctly, Whitesnake is high on him. By the way, Markov used to be listed at 5'11".

Old
11-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Tyson

Smooth skater, not very big. Every team can afford to have ONE D of Bennett's size. I predict the Habs sign him at the end of his senior year.

Old
11-12-2013, 09:11 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Here is an interview done recently with Bennett

http://thehockeyguys.net/leading-way...n-mac-bennett/

Old
11-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:

Bennett is:
-small
-slow
-not offensive
-not defensive
-has leadership
So what we can glean from this is that Bennett is a tiny, slow skating junior without offensive or defensive abilities. Huh! That's about as far off the mark as you can get.

I'm no Dehaan fan, but it's quite unfair to be declaring him to be a bust too. Missed f last season with injury...this is really only his second pro season. What many on here fail to keep in mind is that the average NHL dman doesn't become a regular in 24-25 years of age.

Old
11-12-2013, 10:26 AM
JAVO16

Quote:

Bennett is:
-small
-slow
-not offensive
-not defensive
-has leadership

If there's one thing that everybody should know about Bennett, it's that he's a very smooth and switft skater.

Old
11-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Could Bennett become our own version of Torey Krug?

Old
11-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Grant McCagg

Bennett is now listed at 6-0 and 193 pounds. No monster..but lets not exaggerate things - - basically the same height as Subban.... and bigger than Karlsson. Same size as Kronwall, who hits a ton. Solid defensively and has some offensive abilities as well. Most importantly he's good at getting the puck out of his own zone with his mobility and passing skills..such an important part of today's game. I still consider him to be a top ten Habs prospect, and a future NHLer.

Old
11-12-2013, 11:04 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
So what we can glean from this is that Bennett is a tiny, slow skating junior without offensive or defensive abilities. Huh! That's about as far off the mark as you can get.

I'm no Dehaan fan, but it's quite unfair to be declaring him to be a bust too. Missed f last season with injury...this is really only his second pro season. What many on here fail to keep in mind is that the average NHL dman doesn't become a regular in 24-25 years of age.
Haven't seen Bennett play so can't comment. Calvin de Haan I once heard he has a bad shoulder. Which makes sense would hindered his NHL devellopment.

Last edited by BrimStone64: 11-12-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Closed Thread