HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Do the Oilers take Ekblad?

Old
11-11-2013, 06:36 AM
spfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I'm not sure the gap between Ekblad and Haydn Fleury is all that big to be honest. Ekblad might be meaner and a little better defensively, but Fleury's a better skater and better offensive instincts.
Completely disagree. Ekblad is far and away better than Haydn Fleury. I'd rank Fleury as the 5th best d-men in the draft.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
In hindsight Oilers should have traded down in 2012 and taken Lindholm or Reinhart.
Lindholm was projected to go mid 1st round. I remember reading the Ducks were 1 of 2 teams that had him in their top 10 and I believe the other team was the Wild.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Drafting Ekblad should be the final piece to the puzzle for drafting high-end talent

Number 1 left-winger Taylor Hall
Number 1 Centerman Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Number 1 Right winger Nail Yakupov

Number 1 defenseman Aaron Ekblad

The Oilers would just need to fill the rest through free agency.
Ya its so easy to build depth through UFAs that you will have to overpay.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:07 AM
FlyOil

They should. They wont.

FlyOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:11 AM
FlyOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Drafting Ekblad should be the final piece to the puzzle for drafting high-end talent

Number 1 left-winger Taylor Hall
Number 1 Centerman Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Number 1 Right winger Nail Yakupov

Number 1 defenseman Aaron Ekblad

The Oilers would just need to fill the rest through free agency.

You're saying Yakupov is the number 1 right winger on Edmonton right now?

FlyOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Are you sure about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestLeafsFanEVER View Post
um too bad that the devils have no first round pick this year.
Got two.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:06 PM
ALI

The oilers can just trade Yak and gagner for 2 top 4 D or 1 star D. Then draft Nylander or Reinhart.

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Reinhart Hemsky

top 4 top 4

or

Top 2 Petry

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:21 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
I don't think there's anyway the oilers trade RNH for Brodin either. He's a great dman, but he just doesn't have enough offence imo.
Uh what? He has plenty of offense.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:18 PM
james30

I see Ekblad like Luke Schenn. Nurse is way more athletic. I would be trying to get a more experienced d. McTavish says he wants to do something big...time for it.

james30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOllieC View Post
They should have drafted Murray
It would have taken some balls to draft Murray 1st overall...but yeah, agreed 100%.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
It would have taken some balls to draft Murray 1st overall...but yeah, agreed 100%.
I don't think it would have been ballsy at all. The Edmonton media were all reporting the Oilers had decided on Murray, that Stu MacGregor wanted him, and that the decision to take Yakupov came from higher up the food chain. Tambellini has always stated that when it comes to the draft, Stu gets the final say. Take it for what it's worth though, mere speculation, but many believe the decision came from Katz/Lowe.

Now taking Galchenyuk, that would have been ballsy. Still not disappointed with the Yak pick given the options available.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by james30 View Post
I see Ekblad like Luke Schenn. Nurse is way more athletic. I would be trying to get a more experienced d. McTavish says he wants to do something big...time for it.
Ekblad plays nothing like Luke Schenn. Ekblad supposedly has one of the highest hockey IQs among defencemen the past few years, is a strong puck possession player, is one of the better puck handlers in the OHL, and can make tape to tape breakout passes. Luke Schenn is dumber than a kookaburra and handles the puck like a live grenade. The only thing similar about them is their ability to hit.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 05:43 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

The Oilers need a legit #2 centre as much as they need a top Dman. This is not why they shouldn't have drafted Yakupov, it's why they should have traded down (picking up assets along the way) and drafted Galchenyuk.

But aside from hindsight being 20-20, I would take Ekblad: a 6'4 Dman who's one of the better prospects to come around in a long time, could you imagine this top 4:

Nurse--Schultz
Klefbom--Ekblad

I like some of the other players in the Oilers system (Gernat, Marancin, Belov), but it remains to be seen if any of those guys really become top-3 or 4 Dmen. Ekblad, on the other hand, is a sure-fire top-2 Dman (if not #1 future Norris candidate), is a righty, and brings a complete game, including size & offense. I would take him and run.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 06:57 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by james30 View Post
You've never watched Ekblad then.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:12 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

Brodin=Rnh

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:20 PM
ponder

If by game 40 or so they're still awful, they need to fire absolutely everyone in the front office, and bring in some management who have at least a faint idea how to build a team. Then let the new management decide what to do come draft time.

I don't understand how Katz can look at years and years of utter incompetence from Lowe, and PROMOTE him instead of firing him! This is clearly not the man you want running an NHL team, yet Katz decided to promote him to president of hockey operations.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

I see Ekblad as a Dan Girardi. Not some wonderkid D as he's being touted.

Some of the other D's projections by draft time may be more valuable than his.

At the very least, Dal Colle certainly is ahead of him by purely consistent dominance. Bennett, Perlini, and Draisatls impact in a game is more noticeable and skillset more elite.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
If by game 40 or so they're still awful, they need to fire absolutely everyone in the front office, and bring in some management who have at least a faint idea how to build a team. Then let the new management decide what to do come draft time.

I don't understand how Katz can look at years and years of utter incompetence from Lowe, and PROMOTE him instead of firing him! This is clearly not the man you want running an NHL team, yet Katz decided to promote him to president of hockey operations.
We're all wondering the same.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

Agreed. You have to look at the common denominator throughout all this debacle (and it's not even mediocrity - it's utter failure). That's Lowe/MacT/ the rest of this old boys club.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:34 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
I see Ekblad as a Dan Girardi. Not some wonderkid D as he's being touted.

Some of the other D's projections by draft time may be more valuable than his.

At the very least, Dal Colle certainly is ahead of him by purely consistent dominance. Bennett, Perlini, and Draisatls impact in a game is more noticeable and skillset more elite.

Well, I think I'll trust the professional hockey scouts and Hockey Canada brass who granted him exceptional status. If his upside is "only Dan Girardi", then he will not be mentioned as a consensus top 2 or 5 pick come the time of the draft. But right now he is; so until that changes, and while you're entitled to your opinion, and considering you seem to be on an island with that one, he's very much in the discussion of who (insert team here, including EDM) should take 1st overall.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Well, I think I'll trust the professional hockey scouts and Hockey Canada brass who granted him exceptional status. If his upside is "only Dan Girardi", then he will not be mentioned as a consensus top 2 or 5 pick come the time of the draft. But right now he is; so until that changes, and while you're entitled to your opinion, and considering you seem to be on an island with that one, he's very much in the discussion of who (insert team here, including EDM) should take 1st overall.
What does his exceptional status have anything to do with his performance this year? You see his plus/minus? I have witnessed horrible hockey reads leading to goals from him. Ekblad's just as susceptible as other D in the draft class. Fleury is way more reliable with the puck behind his own net.

It's truly sickening other draft eligibles won't get the right credit because some people are too much of ******* to let go of the past. Ekblad is no McDavid. He does not have even a top 5 selection locked down in my eyes. Remember Angelo Esposito?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 03:43 AM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
What does his exceptional status have anything to do with his performance this year? You see his plus/minus? I have witnessed horrible hockey reads leading to goals from him. Ekblad's just as susceptible as other D in the draft class. Fleury is way more reliable with the puck behind his own net.

It's truly sickening other draft eligibles won't get the right credit because some people are too much of ******* to let go of the past. Ekblad is no McDavid. He does not have even a top 5 selection locked down in my eyes. Remember Angelo Esposito?
Yeah cause +/- is totally an indication of defensive ability...not.

Ekblad is really good offensively and even better defensively.

Barrie aren't the best of teams this year so far. Scheifele is gone and he was arguably the best player in the league last year. So of course they're going to suffer a bit. Ekblad has been very good this year and is a top 5 lock in almost everyone else's opinion.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 03:53 AM
Soundwave

There are three players in this draft that the Oilers will select if he's available at their pick

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Da Collie (sp?)

Otherwise I think there's a good chance that pick is being traded.

This is barring someone else moving up the draft table, which I suspect may happen this year.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 03:57 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOil View Post
You're saying Yakupov is the number 1 right winger on Edmonton right now?
Obviously, no.

Future 1st line Right Winger

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:34 AM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

If they are in the position they should take Ekblad. A number 1 dman is much harder to acquire than a number 2 center. (Assuming RNH is better than Reinhart/Nylander)

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote