HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'd consider Bobby Ryan a dominant goal scorer though, all those 30 goal seasons and probably a 30 goal season last year if not for the lockout!
Bobby Ryan is coming to the Flyers!!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 04:24 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
It's an undeniable truth that Bobby Ryan is just biding his time before he signs an 8 year, $8 million deal with the Flyers. That's a total of $8 million by the way, he will sign for 1 a year because he loves the team that much.

11-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Timmeh P. and all his drone followers would be thrilled.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 04:25 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Kimmo is a -2 while having the third highest TOI (according to ESPN)

He's def. aging, but worst Dman is a far stretch.
Not a far stretch at all , My ranking of the guys playing most games , and I love Kimmo

Streit
Coburn
Grossman
Schenn
Gus
Kimmo
Mezz
Gill

I think you could make an argument for 4th, but at 6 mill we shouldn't be fighting to give him 4th spot ??

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 04:45 PM
hckyplayer8
Don't bang the glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Not a far stretch at all , My ranking of the guys playing most games , and I love Kimmo

Streit
Coburn
Grossman
Schenn
Gus
Kimmo
Mezz
Gill

I think you could make an argument for 4th, but at 6 mill we shouldn't be fighting to give him 4th spot ??
Arguing that he is overpaid (which I agree he is) i slightly different than arguing hes our worst D.

Don't know how anybody could rank Colburn above Grossman, Kimmo and Gus.

Guy is a turnover magnet and seriously lacks hockey IQ.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 06:24 PM
FlyingPhilly
Flyers Win 201x Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Especially since after 47 of them he was probably our best D man.
I agree that LSchenn was the team's best d-man last season, but tbf that isn't saying too much. Being the best d-man on a bad team isn't that hard or amazing; all the other d-men just looked like such crap, Schenn looked amazing in comparison. Objectively, I think on a good team, LSchenn from last year is a second pairing d-man at best.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:42 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Quote:
But people only want him because he is a local kid. We have enough goal scorers!

OzFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Norm MacDonald

Although Schenn has been brutal, I still want him on the team over Gill because he's the only right handed shot we have. Not that it matters for offense, but teams can just direct the forecheck to force the right side D to clear or play the puck on his backhand. There are so many times the Flyers get hemmed in their zone because the D can't make strong, quick plays from the right.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 06:57 PM
The Nightman Cometh

No way Schenn is worse than Mesz, Gill or Timonen right now.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Although Schenn has been brutal, I still want him on the team over Gill because he's the only right handed shot we have. Not that it matters for offense, but teams can just direct the forecheck to force the right side D to clear or play the puck on his backhand. There are so many times the Flyers get hemmed in their zone because the D can't make strong, quick plays from the right.
Well there is always Gervais...he is right handed...ugh

Embiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
It's an undeniable truth that Bobby Ryan is just biding his time before he signs an 8 year, $8 million deal with the Flyers. That's a total of $8 million by the way, he will sign for 1 a year because he loves the team that much.
He can only sign for 7 unless the Flyers trade for his rights.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:33 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Arguing that he is overpaid (which I agree he is) i slightly different than arguing hes our worst D.

Don't know how anybody could rank Colburn above Grossman, Kimmo and Gus.

Guy is a turnover magnet and seriously lacks hockey IQ.
Coburn has easily been their best d man this season. I love how Grossman gets a pass on these boards. Off the top of my head he blew at least two games for them.
VAN game with his coverage on the goal that tied the game and the CAR game with the boneheaded icing.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Defensively the best Dman has probably been Grossmann. He's facing mostly the same competition as Coburn but he's holding up better defensively. He's consistent.

Coburn remains inconsistent, which is maddening at his age.

11-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I agree that LSchenn was the team's best d-man last season, but tbf that isn't saying too much. Being the best d-man on a bad team isn't that hard or amazing; all the other d-men just looked like such crap, Schenn looked amazing in comparison. Objectively, I think on a good team, LSchenn from last year is a second pairing d-man at best.
There's something wrong with that? Quality top four D are a valuable thing regardless.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Defensively the best Dman has probably been Grossmann. He's facing mostly the same competition as Coburn but he's holding up better defensively. He's consistent.

Coburn remains inconsistent, which is maddening at his age.
Grossmann is also by far our best shot blocker at both ES and on the PK.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Grossman looks like an oldschool standup goalie at times.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 683
Quote:
Grossman looks like an oldschool standup goalie at times.
His SV% is probably similar to Masons. And yeh, he gets the toughest minutes on D arguably, I would say his are slightly harder than Coburns relatively, he gets some extra shifts which are *****es... whereas Coburns extra shifts are a bit nicer.

That triple save earlier in the year was awesome/hilarious.

I have actually been pleasantly surprised by the D this year (outside of Mez ofc) while there has been some inconsistency the only one who has been really disappointing is Kimmo, and he has been ok in his own zone (usual Kimmo really in own zone) just not himself going up the ice. They have even looked better at breaking the puck out of the zone.

I know Mason has done his part as well, (and a big one at that) but they look a different D in front of him compared to Bryz, if they had not had to pull the goalie so often due to not scoring the D would be on the cusp of top 10 in the NHL in GA/G, and are in the middle (15/16) in SA/G, allowing less than 30 a game. And that is with that Washington game ruining the averages as well.

One thing though... Coburn, Grossmann and Gus have been eating disproportionate amounts of hard minutes compared to the others.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:15 AM
MR28
9 17 32 14 55 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
His SV% is probably similar to Masons. And yeh, he gets the toughest minutes on D arguably, I would say his are slightly harder than Coburns relatively, he gets some extra shifts which are *****es... whereas Coburns extra shifts are a bit nicer.

That triple save earlier in the year was awesome/hilarious.

I have actually been pleasantly surprised by the D this year (outside of Mez ofc) while there has been some inconsistency the only one who has been really disappointing is Kimmo, and he has been ok in his own zone (usual Kimmo really in own zone) just not himself going up the ice. They have even looked better at breaking the puck out of the zone.

I know Mason has done his part as well, (and a big one at that) but they look a different D in front of him compared to Bryz, if they had not had to pull the goalie so often due to not scoring the D would be on the cusp of top 10 in the NHL in GA/G, and are in the middle (15/16) in SA/G, allowing less than 30 a game. And that is with that Washington game ruining the averages as well.

One thing though... Coburn, Grossmann and Gus have been eating disproportionate amounts of hard minutes compared to the others.
Which is why I'm so rattled when Gus gets scratched.

MR28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:01 PM
dats81

I just noticed Gus being the only Flyers defenseman with an even +/- rating so far this season.

Luke Schenn is at the bottom of the list (-7) which definitely reflects his rough begin of the season.
How Mark Streit manages to end up with a poor - 6 despite scoring 6 assists already so far is beyond me.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I just noticed Gus being the only Flyers defenseman with an even +/- rating so far this season.

Luke Schenn is at the bottom of the list (-7) which definitely reflects his rough begin of the season.
How Mark Streit manages to end up with a poor - 6 despite scoring 6 assists already so far is beyond me.
Schenn has had to support Streit a lot defensively, and that's hurt him. Unlike Streit, Schenn doesn't rack up points, either.

I don't think Schenn is ready to carry a pairing defensively, which is probably what he'll need to do if he continues to be paired with Streit. There are times when Streit looks good defensively and then times where...ew.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Schenn has had to support Streit a lot defensively, and that's hurt him. Unlike Streit, Schenn doesn't rack up points, either.

I don't think Schenn is ready to carry a pairing defensively, which is probably what he'll need to do if he continues to be paired with Streit. There are times when Streit looks good defensively and then times where...ew.
As a passenger on the Streit bandwagon, I still agree with this.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:53 PM
FlyingPhilly
Flyers Win 201x Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
There's something wrong with that? Quality top four D are a valuable thing regardless.
Never said anything was wrong with that. I was only pointing out that he was good, but may not have been that good last season; Top 4 D-men are valuable, but on a team with only 1.5 to 2.5 PMD, four defensive d-men are redundant, especially ones that can't skate.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 07:59 PM
ahthorne

I like Streit, and I think Streit-Grossmann is a solid pairing. If Schenn was playing like he did last year, Streit-Schenn could've been a quality pairing.

It's obvious that Luke Schenn's conditioning and skating have been awful this year. After the year he had last year I'm not sure what happened, but clearly he came into camp and completely underwhelmed the staff. His play thus far hasn't impressed either (not to say he's been 'bad'). He's in the doghouse, stretching back to training camp. Kinda hard to turn your game around instantly when you're out of shape.

I'm all for trading the Schenn brothers if we can get an elite player in return. I don't think either Schenn will be elite or high-end by any means, and if we could acquire a high-end, smooth skating defender or a top-line goal scorer I'd be enamored.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
i'l hearing that the Flyers are trying to move Luke Schenn

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:02 AM
MsMeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
I like Streit, and I think Streit-Grossmann is a solid pairing. If Schenn was playing like he did last year, Streit-Schenn could've been a quality pairing.

It's obvious that Luke Schenn's conditioning and skating have been awful this year. After the year he had last year I'm not sure what happened, but clearly he came into camp and completely underwhelmed the staff. His play thus far hasn't impressed either (not to say he's been 'bad'). He's in the doghouse, stretching back to training camp. Kinda hard to turn your game around instantly when you're out of shape.

I'm all for trading the Schenn brothers if we can get an elite player in return. I don't think either Schenn will be elite or high-end by any means, and if we could acquire a high-end, smooth skating defender or a top-line goal scorer I'd be enamored.
Weren't the Schenns working out with Shea Weber or someone like that during the off season?

Also, I can't see anyone elite coming back for them at this point. Luke is constantly a healthy scratch and Brayden hasn't done a whole lot.

MsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote