HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds Recall Marek Mazanec, Send Hellberg Back to Milwaukee

Old
11-11-2013, 09:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
He's 4-3-1 because we scored 4 goals in one win, 6 goals in another win and 4 goals in the shootout loss. So some of those games, we won in spite of his play.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter Brother View Post
I see a lot of critiicism of Trotz here recently and mismanaging the goalies could be one of his flaws since he's always been spoiled by having an elite keeper in Rinne.
I didn't realize Rinne was in his 15th season with the Preds...

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:00 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter Brother View Post
Hutton has been ok so far
Yeah, that .887 save percentage is completely acceptable.

Our defense is going to make mistakes; any defense, no matter how talented, will make some every game. The goaltender has to be able to turn away at least some of the opportunities stemming from those, or we're going to get habitually routed. Hutton has not shown any sign of doing that since Rinne went on IR.

I would give Mazanec a shot to start. The worst that could happen is we get blown out again.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Montross

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Yeah, that .887 save percentage is completely acceptable.

Our defense is going to make mistakes; any defense, no matter how talented, will make some every game. The goaltender has to be able to turn away at least some of the opportunities stemming from those, or we're going to get habitually routed. Hutton has not shown any sign of doing that since Rinne went on IR.

I would give Mazanec a shot to start. The worst that could happen is we get blown out again.
@WillyD1025: Mazanec tonight for #Preds. Poulin for Isles

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:41 AM
bloggerfanthe*

hallelujah!!!!

Word out of Nashville is that 6'3" rookie goalie Marek Mazanec from Czech Republic will be making his 1st NHL start tonight.

https://twitter.com/walsha

bloggerfanthe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Stu Grimson, normally a bit of a corporate shill, said there was "alarming concern" at the goaltending position at the moment, and that the team is and has been trying to bring someone in, but there's not much out there.

A name I've suggested that is available is Scott Clemmensen..

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I don't even care that Mazanec will be starting. It can't be worse than Hutton, but who's to say it'll be much better? It's still an inexperienced goalie playing behind a defense with a lot of issues. My fan strategy the rest of the way is basically to hope for the best and hope we don't give up any gnarly rebounds that are easy to capitalize on.

And yeah, Clemmensen is interesting......

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Are we allowed to use one of these?

I seem to remember having trouble scoring on this guy when I was five.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Smilodon

I'm glad they're giving Mazanec a chance. Give Hellberg a chance too. We need to find out which one is the best of a bad situation. Maybe one of them will surprise us.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:31 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Stu Grimson, normally a bit of a corporate shill, said there was "alarming concern" at the goaltending position at the moment, and that the team is and has been trying to bring someone in, but there's not much out there.

This is the most comforting news I've heard about the team since Pekka went on IR. At least the organization realizes there is a problem.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:41 AM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Are we allowed to use one of these?

I seem to remember having trouble scoring on this guy when I was five.

Shhhh.........don't give the Isles any ideas.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

That's great news. We need a back-up with an idea of what it's like to play in the bigs. Clemmensen would be a great pick-up.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
That's great news. We need a back-up with an idea of what it's like to play in the bigs. Clemmensen would be a great pick-up.
He looked a little rough at times when he was playing for Florida. But then again, their defense was A-W-F-U-L. I'd like that pick up a lot. He's a good locker room guy also.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Sutter Brother

vCash: 563
Mazanec looked pretty good last night, as did the team. The kid looks more and more confident with improved rebound control and a whopping 39 saves!

Sutter Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 07:27 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Looking back on the history of this franchise, WRT goaltending, I think we may have seen a sudden change in the depth chart.

Remember 10 years ago, our #1 goalie was Vokie, and #2 was Finley with Lasak behind him. In training camp for the 03-04 season, Lasak got kicked to the side - and he responded by leaving for Europe. Finley was still iffy, so the Preds got Wade Flaherty as a fill-in in Milwaukee while they grabbed Mason back off waivers to back up Vokie.

Mason turned out to be a competent second option (after becoming the third goalie to win a game in Preds history), while the Ads rode Flaherty to the Calder Cup.

While the NHL was in L-word mode, Finley seemed to regain his confidence as the starter in Milwaukee... and then the Cincinnati playoff series happened.

When Training Camps finally reopened in the fall of '05, Mase was being called "1B" by Trotz - and a young Finnish goalie named Pekka Rinne wandered in to become the #1 goalie in Milwaukee.

All this is a polite way of saying, "I think Carter Hutton might be in danger of getting passed on the depth chart when/if Pekka returns."

jwhouk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 07:58 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
All this is a polite way of saying, "I think Carter Hutton might be in danger of getting passed on the depth chart when/if Pekka returns."
I'm pretty sure that may have already happened. There's a reason why Hutton didn't start against Chicago.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 09:45 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

The kid may not walk with the swagger Hutton does, but I see much more potential in his play in this limited sample than I have seen in Hutton's stint in net. He really makes some sharp saves, better rebound control, more athletic... in short, even as a work in progress, he seems a better option in the meantime. Jedi Master Yoda needs to work with him extensively to fully develop him.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:35 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Mazanec played well against Chicago, and that buys him at least a couple more starts.. but Hutton actually looked good for a few games then it all went to hell. Confidence is a fragile thing with goalies.

Im all for continuing to play Mazanec but I would still be looking for another option if I was Poile...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 11:08 AM
token grinder

Mazanac wasn't hung out to dry as much either. Not arguing that he looked better than hutton, but the team played better defensively

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 12:21 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Mazanac wasn't hung out to dry as much either. Not arguing that he looked better than hutton, but the team played better defensively
Well he was once, facing Kane barreling down on him and the result was a goal. Rinne may not have stopped Kane on that play. I agree that he did have more help. He did seem to catch and cover the puck a little better than Hutton. And more importantly, no soft goals.

Let's see what he can do over the next 3-4 games. I still don't think he's ready to fill in till Pekka is back.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:10 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Well he was once, facing Kane barreling down on him and the result was a goal. Rinne may not have stopped Kane on that play. I agree that he did have more help. He did seem to catch and cover the puck a little better than Hutton. And more importantly, no soft goals.

Let's see what he can do over the next 3-4 games. I still don't think he's ready to fill in till Pekka is back.
I don't think there is a goalie in the world stopping that shot. Kane did some USA hate crime on Jones and made him look silly and just fired a laser beam of a shot.

Goalies are usually found gems, and you find them by throwing them into the fire. Maybe we can strike gold a fourth time here. (vokoun/rinne/lindback)

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote