HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Level One Coaching Clinic, what to expect

Old
10-17-2013, 03:51 PM
mzm119

vCash: 500
Level One Coaching Clinic, what to expect

I'm a long-time hockey player but never coached. My son (6 years old) started a beginner's hockey clinic a few months ago so I thought it would be good to start getting certified so that I would be able to coach him, if/when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm just wondering what I can expect at the initial nine-hour clinic. I assume it's a lot of powerpoint/handbook type stuff but I thought I'd ask.

I apologize if this has been answered before. I could only find posts regarding Level 4-5 clinics.

Thanks!

mzm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 06:41 PM
MeltingPlastic

Honestly, when I went last year they just preached small area games and stuff like that. It's really just an introduction to etiquette of coaching etc. One thing that the instructor in mine stated that I may actually do is if you plan on coaching for the long haul, take the first level ref class and see things from the otherside. If i can actually find an open coaching position i may actually do that.

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 07:18 PM
mzm119

Thanks for the info. It said to bring skates, stick, gloves, helmet but I'm assuming it won't be any kind of fun ice time, especially considering there are 90 attendees.

Old
10-18-2013, 08:55 AM
pelts35.com

Depending on where the clinic is being held, there is an on ice component where USA Hockey brings in a bunch of local kids and they run various drills for the group to observe. The last one I went to they had a "lottery" for attendees to be on the ice as well.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 10:05 AM
mzm119

That makes sense. It's the Voorhees, NJ on at Flyers Skate Zone. Of course the one 10 miles from me in North Jersey was sold out so I get to drive 2.5 hours. Thanks!

Old
10-18-2013, 10:51 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzm119 View Post
That makes sense. It's the Voorhees, NJ on at Flyers Skate Zone. Of course the one 10 miles from me in North Jersey was sold out so I get to drive 2.5 hours. Thanks!
I suspect that there will be an on ice portion then. You'll be asked to observe the stations and then discuss what you observed once you are back in the classroom setting.

Most likely there will be an instuctor there by the name of Alex. He's full of knowledge and very high energy. Just wait until he does his discussion on goaltending and gets the classroom out of their chairs.

Old
10-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting much (also went to Voorhees before...trying to work my way into a Level 2 one, but they're all filled...I asked Mike Lichtenberger he said I could just walk up to the one in Montclair, but I live in Philadelphia, so the one in Voorhees is better for me [plus, I'm away with one of the teams I coach this weekend]. Anyway, I wasn't expecting too much from the Level 1 and it actually wasn't bad. Because I'm used to coaching college level and up players, I have a pretty firm grasp of tactics, but my youth player development skills are lacking and they focused on that which was helpful to me.

I don't recall being told to bring skates and a helmet or anything...I thought that was for later levels. I'm pretty annoyed that I might not get to a level 2 in this short "coaching clinic season"

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 02:08 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much (also went to Voorhees before...trying to work my way into a Level 2 one, but they're all filled...I asked Mike Lichtenberger he said I could just walk up to the one in Montclair, but I live in Philadelphia, so the one in Voorhees is better for me [plus, I'm away with one of the teams I coach this weekend]. Anyway, I wasn't expecting too much from the Level 1 and it actually wasn't bad. Because I'm used to coaching college level and up players, I have a pretty firm grasp of tactics, but my youth player development skills are lacking and they focused on that which was helpful to me.

I don't recall being told to bring skates and a helmet or anything...I thought that was for later levels. I'm pretty annoyed that I might not get to a level 2 in this short "coaching clinic season"
Normally once a clinic "fills" they open it up as soon as someone contacts them asking them to. It must truly be full.

As for the on ice portion, if USA Hockey can get the ice (translated, the rink donates it) they demonstrate ADM at work with various stations going on at the same time to maximize ice and it is typically those in Level 1 who must attend. I believe there is a more in depth on ice portion at Level 4.

I got much more out of Level 2 than I did Level 1.

Old
10-18-2013, 02:55 PM
mzm119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much (also went to Voorhees before...trying to work my way into a Level 2 Because I'm used to coaching college level and up players, I have a pretty firm grasp of tactics, but my youth player development skills are lacking and they focused on that which was helpful to me.
"
How can you coach college level players without the certifications? I guess I'm confused as to how enforcement of the certifications work because I've read a lot of people saying they coach higher levels without certifications.

Old
10-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
How can you coach college level players without the certifications? I guess I'm confused as to how enforcement of the certifications work because I've read a lot of people saying they coach higher levels without certifications.
I am certified. I don't know what level I was supposed to be (if applicable at all), but I've never been asked much more than "are you a certified coach?" - I also haven't exactly been coaching in the NHL...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Canadiens1958

Coaching Certification

Cannot comment on the situation in the USA or othe Canadian jurisdiction but in Quebec to coach youngsters under the Hockey Quebec umbrella a person needs appropriate coaching certification.

This has produced interesting situations where a former NHL assistant coach - Rick Green, could not coach his son's youth team because he did not have appropriate certification.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2013, 01:32 AM
beth

The coaching clinics are hit and miss. They usually consist of a variety of presentations about kids development, ADM practices, dryland training, etc. Some presentations are really good and some are pretty rambly with no substance. Depends on who is there that day. If you have an on-ice portion, it will be a demonstration of a six-station ADM practice and they will run all the coaches through them (yes, all 90 of them). Be prepared for a lot of coaches showing off and some newbie coaches who can hardly skate trying not to kill themselves. It's a little crazy!

The best part of the clinics is talking with all the other coaches there and networking with them. You can share your favorite drills/games and I've gotten so much more out of that aspect of the clinics.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Lefty9420

I believe it has changed a lot. I did my level 1 and level 2 about 10 years ago, before the ADM stuff came out. It was an absolute waste of time. If you have ever spent 5 secs. at a rink you would be bored. It was this is a stick, this is a puck stuff. Brutal. Level 3 was ok. The one I got the most out of was level 4. I did that in Pittsburgh about 6 years ago. It was cool having pro and college coaches talk about stuff and hear their stories and pick their brains. Also I never once did any on ice stuff. I did level 1-4 and there was never an on ice compnent to it.

I think this has changed. I am a head coach for a high school team. I have 2 new assistants this year who needed to get certified. They said their was some decent stuff and they had an on ice portion. I really think that the ADM model has really changed their coaching clinics for the better.

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 12:37 PM
mzm119

I had the clinic this past Saturday.. it was ok and only semi boring. We had Matt Herr (drafted by the Caps in '94) speak to us for an hour and then some other filler type stuff. They could only take 50 of the 100 of us for the on ice portion so they used birth month to select the skaters. In a weird coincidence, 50 of the 100 in attendance had a birthday in November or January! Haha. I did not get to go on the ice but it was only an hour long.

What confused me is the number of people who are already coaching kids. My six-year-old is currently working his way through the "Learn to Play Hockey" clinics so it was my plan to get certified in time to be able to coach him while he's a mite next year. However, I think I was the only person who did not raise their hand when asked the question "Who is currently coaching a mite, pee wee or squirt hockey team?"

I guess I STILL don't understand how certification works if everyone in the level 1 class was already coaching kids prior to attending.

Old
11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I had the clinic this past Saturday.. it was ok and only semi boring. We had Matt Herr (drafted by the Caps in '94) speak to us for an hour and then some other filler type stuff. They could only take 50 of the 100 of us for the on ice portion so they used birth month to select the skaters. In a weird coincidence, 50 of the 100 in attendance had a birthday in November or January! Haha. I did not get to go on the ice but it was only an hour long.

What confused me is the number of people who are already coaching kids. My six-year-old is currently working his way through the "Learn to Play Hockey" clinics so it was my plan to get certified in time to be able to coach him while he's a mite next year. However, I think I was the only person who did not raise their hand when asked the question "Who is currently coaching a mite, pee wee or squirt hockey team?"

I guess I STILL don't understand how certification works if everyone in the level 1 class was already coaching kids prior to attending.
Coaches have until December 31 to attend their Level I coaching clinic and do the online age specific module. If one does not do both of these by December 31 then they are not eligible to coach.

Old
11-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Mickaleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Coaches have until December 31 to attend their Level I coaching clinic and do the online age specific module. If one does not do both of these by December 31 then they are not eligible to coach.
This is correct. Im an assistant coach on my daughters Squirt team, but have not been able to get certified yet. I will be doing so this weekend in Plattsburgh NY. Looking forward to it.

Mickaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Mickaleen

Other then the almost 2 hour drive each way, I thought the clinic was great. Very informative, and the on ice portion was great. There were just about 50 of us and we were all on the ice.

Mickaleen is offline   Reply With Quote