HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowes sorry record for the Oilers...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2013, 04:28 AM
  #276
Isaak16
The Universe Is Here
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 413
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I dunno if any of you watch The League but doesn't Pete look like a younger K Lowe?

I see it

Isaak16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:25 PM
  #277
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
This is true, so the only solution is to stop giving Katz's Oilers money until it hurts.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 12:38 PM
  #278
Dorian2
Positional Bias.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,991
vCash: 500
Beerfish.

I owe you an apology for anything I've posted in this thread.

Sorry.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 05:05 PM
  #279
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever
 
Gret99zky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,717
vCash: 1010
Watch that press conference video again and judge for yourself.

Is this the guy who should be running the hockey operations of a professional team?

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 08:35 PM
  #280
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
This is KLowes rebuild and our nightmare. Fire KLowe NOW!

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:35 PM
  #281
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Although I am not saying a billboard calling for Lowe's head outside of Rexall would work, but how much would it cost to rent one for a month? It would certainly get people talking, especially the media.
You never heard this from me (as a Flames fan) but this is actually a really good idea. Have it on Wayne Gretzk or the Yellowhead and I betcha 1/4 of the city would read it at least once during the course of the month. 10% would probably see it on their regular commute. And you know the media would talk about it every chance they get, thereby forcing Lowe to give his usual responses to any form of criticism.

The first question to ask is what would it say? "A whole new level of Lowe"

The second, and less important, question to ask is are there any legal issues, such as slander?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:59 PM
  #282
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,505
vCash: 50
Oilers hockey has reached a new Lowe.

Fire Kevin Lowe Now!

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:12 AM
  #283
oilexport
Registered User
 
oilexport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Lowe- the biggest loser on the face of the planet and in all of history, even during the dinosaur years.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:33 AM
  #284
AssistantCaptain*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
You never heard this from me (as a Flames fan) but this is actually a really good idea. Have it on Wayne Gretzk or the Yellowhead and I betcha 1/4 of the city would read it at least once during the course of the month. 10% would probably see it on their regular commute. And you know the media would talk about it every chance they get, thereby forcing Lowe to give his usual responses to any form of criticism.

The first question to ask is what would it say? "A whole new level of Lowe"

The second, and less important, question to ask is are there any legal issues, such as slander?
"At an all time Lowe."
costs about $2200

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:50 AM
  #285
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
"At an all time Lowe."
costs about $2200
Holy moly. That's more than I was expecting. Is that for those giant, like 20ft x 10ft monster billboards? Does that include complex artwork, such as this bag-over-the-head concepts that have been floating around? The location is good too?

Its too bad the guy who made it known that he thought it was the "city of potholes" wasn't actually more of a rabid hockey fan

Anywho... I would love to see this billboard! "Don't Kevin Lower your standards"

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:53 AM
  #286
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,505
vCash: 50
How Lowe can we go?

Save Our Season.

Fire Kevin Lowe.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:55 AM
  #287
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
You never heard this from me (as a Flames fan) but this is actually a really good idea. Have it on Wayne Gretzk or the Yellowhead and I betcha 1/4 of the city would read it at least once during the course of the month. 10% would probably see it on their regular commute. And you know the media would talk about it every chance they get, thereby forcing Lowe to give his usual responses to any form of criticism.

The first question to ask is what would it say? "A whole new level of Lowe"

The second, and less important, question to ask is are there any legal issues, such as slander?
I think this would be fun, and I'm willing to pitch in. Who knows, maybe it could take off like the "Vote For Rory" campaign did.

The legal issues is a good point. I don't think there should be an issue... we wouldn't have to say anything that isn't 100% true.

However, billboard companies are sometimes reluctant to take on "controversial" billboards. Especially when the "controversy" might offend a potential customer. Billboard companies might be worried about upsetting the Oilers out of fear of losing a major customer.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 01:24 PM
  #288
AssistantCaptain*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Holy moly. That's more than I was expecting. Is that for those giant, like 20ft x 10ft monster billboards? Does that include complex artwork, such as this bag-over-the-head concepts that have been floating around? The location is good too?

Its too bad the guy who made it known that he thought it was the "city of potholes" wasn't actually more of a rabid hockey fan

Anywho... I would love to see this billboard! "Don't Kevin Lower your standards"
Yeah it's the price for the standard billboard and artwork has to be provided on our end. It's the flat rate despite the location but the prime locations tend to have a single client that's contracted to advertise for months even years. There's usually 3-4 ads in queue so its not like your ad will be thrown on instantly. Billboards are half the price in bigger Canadian cities. Toronto comes in at about $1200

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 03:12 PM
  #289
chris11inter
Registered User
 
chris11inter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 490
Does anyone have an idea on what Kevin Lowe has done since inception?

I would love to see in his 13 years here what he has done?
Oilers Record?
Free agents who were signed?
Contract Extensions he has given people?
Trades?

chris11inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 03:49 PM
  #290
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
Does anyone have an idea on what Kevin Lowe has done since inception?

I would love to see in his 13 years here what he has done?
Oilers Record?
Free agents who were signed?
Contract Extensions he has given people?
Trades?
4 years in the playoffs out of 13 and that is including his year as coach where he took over not a bad team.

- Offer sheeted Vanek (would have cost us multiple 1st rounders.)
- Offer sheeted Penner
- Chased Heatley trade (thank god that fell through)
- Chased Nylander (thank god that fell through), blasted Nylanders wife for going crazy. Had a hand in putting out an embarrassing full page ad in the paper at the time threatening legal action.
- Didn't listen top Pronger when half way through the year he said he wanted out after the season. Acted shocked after the request was reiterated and then made a trade horribly quick when he had all the cards. Bad mouth Pronger and his wife.
- Tried to make Comrie cough up 2 million to be traded to Anaheim in a deal that was going to net us Corry Perry and a 1st rounder.
- Black balled Souray for having the gall to question the medical team and management.
- Black balled Omark for having the gall to question the team.
- Publicly blasted Burke in a most embarrassing interview even bashing Bobby Ryan in the process.
- After getting asked the 1st tough question in 10 years during MacT's hire press conference he goes bat shi* talking about tiers of fans, management dream teams, that half the NHL would switch rosters and his 6 rings.
- Hired and fired Tambo
- Still at the top for the Quinn, Renney, Kruger hirings and firings.
- Hired rookie gm formerly a under achieving coach with part of one year of front office experience as a vice president in charge of something.
- Hired a former assistant GM who was a fail in Columbus.
- Tries to acquire anything with an oil king jersey on it.
- Allowed, encouraged forced, two crappy assistants on each coach over the last 5 years.
- Did not shop Ryan Smyth around when he was dealt but took the trade 'that is in my back pocket'
- How could I forget this one...Signed Horcoff to huge money and long term deal coming off a shoulder injury and assuming he was going to be better than he ever was before at any part of his career.

I'm sure there's more.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 04:11 PM
  #291
AssistantCaptain*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
4 years in the playoffs out of 13 and that is including his year as coach where he took over not a bad team.

- Offer sheeted Vanek (would have cost us multiple 1st rounders.)
- Offer sheeted Penner
- Chased Heatley trade (thank god that fell through)
- Chased Nylander (thank god that fell through), blasted Nylanders wife for going crazy. Had a hand in putting out an embarrassing full page ad in the paper at the time threatening legal action.
- Didn't listen top Pronger when half way through the year he said he wanted out after the season. Acted shocked after the request was reiterated and then made a trade horribly quick when he had all the cards. Bad mouth Pronger and his wife.
- Tried to make Comrie cough up 2 million to be traded to Anaheim in a deal that was going to net us Corry Perry and a 1st rounder.
- Black balled Souray for having the gall to question the medical team and management.
- Black balled Omark for having the gall to question the team.
- Publicly blasted Burke in a most embarrassing interview even bashing Bobby Ryan in the process.
- After getting asked the 1st tough question in 10 years during MacT's hire press conference he goes bat shi* talking about tiers of fans, management dream teams, that half the NHL would switch rosters and his 6 rings.
- Hired and fired Tambo
- Still at the top for the Quinn, Renney, Kruger hirings and firings.
- Hired rookie gm formerly a under achieving coach with part of one year of front office experience as a vice president in charge of something.
- Hired a former assistant GM who was a fail in Columbus.
- Tries to acquire anything with an oil king jersey on it.
- Allowed, encouraged forced, two crappy assistants on each coach over the last 5 years.
- Did not shop Ryan Smyth around when he was dealt but took the trade 'that is in my back pocket'
- How could I forget this one...Signed Horcoff to huge money and long term deal coming off a shoulder injury and assuming he was going to be better than he ever was before at any part of his career.

I'm sure there's more.
Ethered

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 04:18 PM
  #292
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
Yeah it's the price for the standard billboard and artwork has to be provided on our end. It's the flat rate despite the location but the prime locations tend to have a single client that's contracted to advertise for months even years. There's usually 3-4 ads in queue so its not like your ad will be thrown on instantly. Billboards are half the price in bigger Canadian cities. Toronto comes in at about $1200
Maybe an alternative means should be explored. Unless the location is prime, I can't see a billboard being effective at getting the media's attention. The goal would be simple: get TSN, Sportsnet, Team 1260, CBC, Edmonton Sun, etc. to make a story about the "fire Lowe" campaign. Someone would have to write a column about it. Maybe it makes the cover of THN. Have twitter and facebook blowing up and discussing the campaign. One shouldn't be out-casted if they show up to a home game raising a poster that reiterates this message. And so fourth. All movements start out as a snowball before becoming an avalanche.

The pressure will come. Katz's assistant would have to bring an newspaper article to Katz's attention. If nothing more, it plants a seed. Eventually it would hurt the pockets of Katz. Businesses wouldn't want their logo along the boards at Rexall. The "official Oilers after party" would change their identity. Charity golf tournaments might prefer an Eskimo. Maybe more. Perhaps SN would rather air 5 less games for their winter schedule. Who knows.

I think if everyone was legit and serious about it, action could be done. Maybe a website would be better. I recall Basilie's "make it 7" getting a little attention. Might be a good way to garner donations for this billboard. Maybe, eventually applying to the city to permit a protest and then calling CBC to make a story about it. Keep the movement going.

Anyways. Good luck. It would be fun to see a shake-up in Edmonton. It would improve the conversations around the coffee machine at work

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:01 PM
  #293
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
4 years in the playoffs out of 13 and that is including his year as coach where he took over not a bad team.

- Offer sheeted Vanek (would have cost us multiple 1st rounders.)
- Offer sheeted Penner
- Chased Heatley trade (thank god that fell through)
- Chased Nylander (thank god that fell through), blasted Nylanders wife for going crazy. Had a hand in putting out an embarrassing full page ad in the paper at the time threatening legal action.
- Didn't listen top Pronger when half way through the year he said he wanted out after the season. Acted shocked after the request was reiterated and then made a trade horribly quick when he had all the cards. Bad mouth Pronger and his wife.
- Tried to make Comrie cough up 2 million to be traded to Anaheim in a deal that was going to net us Corry Perry and a 1st rounder.
- Black balled Souray for having the gall to question the medical team and management.
- Black balled Omark for having the gall to question the team.
- Publicly blasted Burke in a most embarrassing interview even bashing Bobby Ryan in the process.
- After getting asked the 1st tough question in 10 years during MacT's hire press conference he goes bat shi* talking about tiers of fans, management dream teams, that half the NHL would switch rosters and his 6 rings.
- Hired and fired Tambo
- Still at the top for the Quinn, Renney, Kruger hirings and firings.
- Hired rookie gm formerly a under achieving coach with part of one year of front office experience as a vice president in charge of something.
- Hired a former assistant GM who was a fail in Columbus.
- Tries to acquire anything with an oil king jersey on it.
- Allowed, encouraged forced, two crappy assistants on each coach over the last 5 years.
- Did not shop Ryan Smyth around when he was dealt but took the trade 'that is in my back pocket'
- How could I forget this one...Signed Horcoff to huge money and long term deal coming off a shoulder injury and assuming he was going to be better than he ever was before at any part of his career.

I'm sure there's more.
You've completely overlooked Lowe's brilliance at the draft.

-Alexei Mikhnov 17th overall. 9 of the 13 players drafted after him in round 1 went on to significant NHL careers, not a single pick below him played fewer NHL games than Mikhnov.
-Jesse Niinimaki, 15th overall. 0 NHL games played, never even threatened to make an NHL roster. 9 of the remaining 15 picks played at least 230 games.
-Most legendary of all, passing on Zach Parise to trade down and draft Marc-Antoine Pouliot, who proved to be one of the only busts in the best draft in the last 30 years. Parise or Getzlaf were lost by trading down, Richards, Kesler, and Perry were passed on in favour of Pouliot.
-Drafted Rob Schremp at 25 instead of his London teammate Dave Bolland, who went a few picks later.
-Came away from the 2007 draft with Alex Plante and Riley Nash in the first round, both busts. Max Pacioretty, Mikael Backlund, and David Perron were taken immediately after Nash.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:24 PM
  #294
Lay Z Boy GM
Registered User
 
Lay Z Boy GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,325
vCash: 500
I still remember when we drafted MAP. I really wanted Weber or Perry at the time, would have been happy with Getzlaf. Then we later get the chance to make a steal of a trade for Perry and Lowe screws it up by asking one of his employees for 2 million dollars.

What really boggles my mind is how Katz is apparently also an idiot because he somehow doesn't see how Lowe is running his org into the ground. Hundreds of millions of dollars at stake for Katz and somehow he doesn't see how badly Lowe is screwing it all up. He's either got some master plan that is just beyond our comprehension, or he's a stupid rich guy.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:42 PM
  #295
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
"Drop your tickets for Lowe" .... kinda has a nice ring to it.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 12:16 AM
  #296
Hammer8
Registered User
 
Hammer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 856
vCash: 500
There's ample more with Lowe. Pettiness, vindictiveness, arrogance. It's just a bad scene with that twit.

He can shove his 6 rings up his ass. What's he won in the last 20 years.

Hammer8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:34 AM
  #297
DisgruntledGoat
Registered User
 
DisgruntledGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Has Kevin Lowe ruined his legacy with the Oilers now?

IMO, yes. As good as he was as a player (which wasn't as great as he thinks but still), he's now done more harm than good at this point.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:41 AM
  #298
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,396
vCash: 508
absolutely. he will be remembered as the guy who couldn't make even a decent team with 3 first overalls (maybe 4), a 2nd or 3rd overall (this year), a 6th, a 7th an a 9th.

his name will forever come up as a reminder of how not to conduct a rebuild.

his only hope of saving this eventuality is if he gets the last laugh; namely, the patience works out and they win or contend. but, that is looking more like a long-shot then an inevitability.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:50 AM
  #299
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,615
vCash: 1360
"Now"?

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:51 AM
  #300
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
Without a doubt. It was done a long time ago, and is beyond ruined.

He will no longer be remember as a quality d-man; but an obstinate, arrogant, manager, who was arguably that worst in the history of the game - and who absolutely decimated a franchise with his egotistical nepotism.

I believe he is the worst manager in the history of hockey, and perhaps in the history of prosports ...

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.