HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Contract extension talks for Subban AND Diaz have started

Old
11-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Price My Man Crush

vCash: 500
Yeah more and more Diaz when trying to protect a lead les boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL HAIL MT!!!!!!!!

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

I think it's a good sign that Bergevin wants to get the Subban contract done early.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MXD

I don't hate Diaz, but I don't see much point in signing him already... considering the players we'll have to sign.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
If Diaz returning means the end of Bouillon, then I guess I'm alright with it.

Meh.
Should be the end of Bouillon regardless...

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
LMAO! Cluelessness all over this thread.. You don't let a dman as good as Diaz walk for nothing. If they can't reach an agreement, you can bet Diaz will be traded at the deadline. He's a good defenceman, I really don't understand the hate?
You're coming to the wrong place if you expect deeply thought out hockey knowledge. This is knee jerk central. Only the flavour of the month is good, everybody else has to play for next to nothing.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
I don't know why all the hate for diaz, I think he's pretty good. Considering he's played in switzerland all these years he's fit into the nhl pretty well. He's slick with the puck and can put a pass on the tape. Maybe you guys are just jumping on the bandwagon. I wonder if you guys really watch the games or just smell blood. The guys a GOOD player.
Actually like I said, I don't have anything against the guy... I'm not saying he's a bad player, but we would need physical d-men who are more defense oriented. With Subban-Markov-Gorges-Emelin-Tinordi, if I had to choose between Diaz and a defensive D, I think I'd go with a defensive d.

But then again, I understand your comment wasn't necessarily directed to me don't worry

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:00 PM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
If they let Diaz go, you bipolar *******s will claim we lost him for nothing.

As long as he gets a reasonable deal (not like Emelin or DDs) he will be an asset to have.

Otherwise I would hold off in extending him and see if we can trade him in a package. Puck-skilled NHL dmen have decent value in the league.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I don't hate Diaz, but I don't see much point in signing him already... considering the players we'll have to sign.
It depends on how much he costs. If his pricetag is close to Emelin then it will be tough, at around 3 mil it's fairly easy to digest.

Old
Phil Parent
The Lama Of Levity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Should be the end of Bouillon regardless...
I think evolution will have passed Bouillon by the end of the year, and he'll be smart enough to know that.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Where's the respect for Diaz. He's quietly doing the job, soft or not.

Edit: why is the Therrien version of the r word censored

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:01 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
What does being mad at negotiations with him insinuate, genius? Did I say that someone explicitly stated to let him walk for nothing?

It'd be total incompetence to not see what his demands are before making any decisions on him. If you can sign a guy like him for cheap, those are the kinds of contracts that you win with. With all due respect, people calling him a #6-7 dman or equivalent to Bouillon, are literally clueless. I don't mean to insult anyone but come on, the guy is a good player.
Hmmm, maybe they want him traded? I think most habs fans realize that it would be stupid to let him walk at the end of the year when you can get a decent return right now or at the deadline. I'd like to keep Diaz if his salary demands aren't excessive.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:02 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
It depends on how much he costs. If his pricetag is close to Emelin then it will be tough, at around 3 mil it's fairly easy to digest.
True.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:02 PM
MXD

Quote:
...At this point, Diaz should be priority no. 4 :

- Subban
- Markov (or not)
- Eller.

THEN, you CAN THINK about Diaz. Signing Diaz before Subban and Eller, and before a definitive decision is taken, would be dumb.

Old
11-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
Actually like I said, I don't have anything against the guy... I'm not saying he's a bad player, but we would need physical d-men who are more defense oriented. With Subban-Markov-Gorges-Emelin-Tinordi, if I had to choose between Diaz and a defensive D, I think I'd go with a defensive d.

But then again, I understand your comment wasn't necessarily directed to me don't worry
They have Murray and Emelin with Tinordi on the way. If things get crowded you trade one, pleasant problem to have. It beats having to trade a pick for a d-man if a couple guys get hurt.

Old
11-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
I'm all for signing Diaz he he comes relatively cheap (3m or less). I'm not sure he will sign for this amount, though, as he could probably get more as a UFA. He's been a little underwhelming so far this season, though, so maybe it'll work out.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

GTFO Diaz. Toi many good young d-men banging on the door for next season. Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn and Nygren.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Kenny Powders

vCash: 1000
Quote:
He's already excelling as a #3-4 guy who plays PP and PK and 2nd pair 5 on 5 minutes...why would he need to be demoted to #6 or 7? Ridiculous.

Lars Eller would make a good #4 center, let's sign him for 3 years at 750k/year.
Excelling is a huge word for Diaz.

May I remind you he never played a full season too? Last year he was completly exausted from playing tough minutes.

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...At this point, Diaz should be priority no. 4 :

- Subban
- Markov (or not)
- Eller.

THEN, you CAN THINK about Diaz. Signing Diaz before Subban and Eller, and before a definitive decision is taken, would be dumb.
I don't agree, it doesn't necessarily work that way.

Subban is the Habs top priority but if they are apart on the deal and it goes till August 1st does that mean Bergevin should sit on his hands and let the parade go by until Aug 1st and not sign Emelin Diaz Markov Eller and co even if a good deal is out there? Nonsense.

Old
11-12-2013, 05:11 PM
MD thaivuN
Anime Music Hipster

vCash: 470
Quote:
LMAO! Cluelessness all over this thread.. You don't let a dman as good as Diaz walk for nothing. If they can't reach an agreement, you can bet Diaz will be traded at the deadline. He's a good defenceman, I really don't understand the hate?
Because being soft is the equivalent of being bad defensively on this board

MD thaivuN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
My Velouria
roygbiv

The only reason why I don't want Diaz signed his because I'm afraid that Bergevin will give him $4M per year for 4+ years...

My Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
Excelling is a huge word for Diaz.

May I remind you he never played a full season too? Last year he was completly exausted from playing tough minutes.
He's been a good contributor this year and last.

He's played 100 NHL games, more than enough to make a call on keeping him or not and at what price.

One angle on this...signing Diaz now is smart because at least Markov's agent can't hold them hostage for a blank cheque. Diaz is not Markov but can play in similar roles and situations. If Markov re-signs you still have the option of trading a d-man.

Old
11-12-2013, 05:15 PM
sheed36

As long as Subban re-signs for 8 years I'll be happy. I have a feeling MB will give Diaz too much though.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MXD

Quote:
I don't agree, it doesn't necessarily work that way.

Subban is the Habs top priority but if they are apart on the deal and it goes till August 1st does that mean Bergevin should sit on his hands and let the parade go by until Aug 1st and not sign Emelin Diaz Markov Eller and co even if a good deal is out there? Nonsense.

Old
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
I don't know why all the hate for diaz, I think he's pretty good. Considering he's played in switzerland all these years he's fit into the nhl pretty well. He's slick with the puck and can put a pass on the tape. Maybe you guys are just jumping on the bandwagon. I wonder if you guys really watch the games or just smell blood. The guys a GOOD player.
It's typical of today's generation. It's a "FAD" era because of all these instant social platforms. Here on Habs HFboards and elsewhere in Habsland, "size" is the current trend. It's insecurity at it's finest actually. They'd rather replace Diaz, who excels in his role, because he's soft, rather than a guy like Gorges who is a decent player, but fails in his role as a stay at home physical defenseman. All that because our total height/weight will be higher.

A good friend of mine, who knows his hockey inside/out, actually said "we don't need another small forward" when we were talking Yakupov earlier, and I thought to myself, this has gotten insane. You take a player of that caliber and run, headcase issues aside obviously as that can be a deal-breaker, but talent trumps all. We can find guys to compliment and add jam to our team much easier than find guys who are actually uber talented at hockey. Diaz is a poor man's version of what I'm saying, but fact remains, the dude is good at hockey. Pair him with a crease clearer and he'll do the rest.

I for one would take Emelin (4.1M)-Diaz (2.75M) any day over Emelin (4.1)- Gorges(3.9). Gives you the time for Beaulieu to take over and then you can actually play Diaz on a bottom pair as Murray-Diaz or Tinordi-Diaz, and not feel sick about it. As of right now, imo Gorges creates a problem for our D going forward. I don't think he's good enough to remain top-4 for us in the future, and it will be sad to have a 4M bottom pair D.. Just thinking out loud here lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Diaz may be playing better but still do not want him back. Problem is it seems MB can be an ATM for average players, scared he'll give Diaz $4m, but then penny-pinch with Subban.
Well that's fear based on your own perception, not reality.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:17 PM
dkdaniel
GO HABS GO

Send a message via Skype™ to dkdaniel
I don't really want Diaz with us next season but he can play as a 6/7 man I guess.

dkdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote