HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Contract extension talks for Subban AND Diaz have started

Old
11-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
The only reason why I don't want Diaz signed his because I'm afraid that Bergevin will give him $4M per year for 4+ years...
I agree 4 mil would be steep. Emelin had the KHL option which possibly raised the numbers a bit.

Ideally 3 years at 3 mil(2.75, I'd be doing cartwheels), more realistic DD's contract, 4 years 14 mil. Logically that's not big money, with the cap at 64.3 mil, the average NHL salary is 2.92. Unless he fell on his face he'd be relatively easy to trade, #3-4 d-man(on most teams) at 3.5 mil.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Andy

If Diaz comes cheap, they should totally retain him. Can never have too much depth on D and at least this time is will be quality depth. He's a good bottom pairing D man not playing in his proper role. Most of deficiencies are overstated because of his height and style of play. He makes as many errors as the other D-men in the lineup, Markov and Subban included, the difference is that people just lose their minds when he does. I'd take him over Boullion and Murray as a bottom pairing D 10 times out of 10.

Last edited by Andy: 11-12-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
It's typical of today's generation. It's a "FAD" era because of all these instant social platforms. Here on Habs HFboards and elsewhere in Habsland, "size" is the current trend. It's insecurity at it's finest actually. They'd rather replace Diaz, who excels in his role, because he's soft, rather than a guy like Gorges who is a decent player, but fails in his role as a stay at home physical defenseman. All that because our total height/weight will be higher.

A good friend of mine, who knows his hockey inside/out, actually said "we don't need another small forward" when we were talking Yakupov earlier, and I thought to myself, this has gotten insane. You take a player of that caliber and run, headcase issues aside obviously as that can be a deal-breaker, but talent trumps all. We can find guys to compliment and add jam to our team much easier than find guys who are actually uber talented at hockey. Diaz is a poor man's version of what I'm saying, but fact remains, the dude is good at hockey. Pair him with a crease clearer and he'll do the rest.

I for one would take Emelin (4.1M)-Diaz (2.75M) any day over Emelin (4.1)- Gorges(3.9). Gives you the time for Beaulieu to take over and then you can actually play Diaz on a bottom pair as Murray-Diaz or Tinordi-Diaz, and not feel sick about it. As of right now, imo Gorges creates a problem for our D going forward. I don't think he's good enough to remain top-4 for us in the future, and it will be sad to have a 4M bottom pair D.. Just thinking out loud here lol.

Well that's fear based on your own perception, not reality.
If Gorges becomes a #5 guy at 3.9 mil then he may be the one moved. Mostly for cap reasons. I think there would be a market for him.

Old
11-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdanielkli View Post
I don't really want Diaz with us next season but he can play as a 6/7 man I guess.
$3M plus in that role? He'd be more valuable as trade bait, if in fact he's as good as most here claim he is.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
The only reason why I don't want Diaz signed his because I'm afraid that Bergevin will give him $4M per year for 4+ years...
Lol ill be DONE with him if thats the case (truthfully, ..im waiting on my being DONE with bergevin until i see what he does with the gionta situation i.e. trading at deadline or resigning him..)

but theres just no way he better be giving diaz that much money ,...2 year deal at 2.5 per or whatever fine, but 4 x 4 and bergevins makin enemies not fans..

as long as the contract is TRADEable

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If Diaz comes cheap, they should totally retain him. Can never have too much depth on D at least this time is will be quality depth. He's a good bottom pairing D man not playing in his proper role. Most of deficiencies are overstates because of his height and style of play. He makes as many errors as the other D-men in the lineup, Markov and Subban included, the difference is that people just lose their minds when he does. I'd take him over Boullion and Murray as a bottom pairing D 10 times out of 10.
Depends on your definition of "cheap", he's going to make as much or more than Murray and Bouillon combined.

Old
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
$3M plus in that role? He'd be more valuable as trade bait, if in fact he's as good as most here claim he is.
I'd definitely use him as trade bait if we cant get hi at 2.25m

dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Depends on your definition of "cheap", he's going to make as much or more than Murray and Bouillon combined.
3 and under is fine with me. 3 will be a little expensive, but tolerable.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Lions999

We can wait till after season if we have to sign Diaz , its same as DD no rush.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Silly rabbit - 4M$ is for bigger kids. I'll say Diaz will sign for between 2.25 and 2.6 per season.

As to the whole "Why now?" question, Bergevin needs to nail down some of the furniture before the RFA/UFA storm hits. It's much easier to negotiate trades and assess budgets with three new contracts completed.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Would you want Gionta back at 3.5-4 mil/year? I'm assuming a 2 year deal here...or maybe 3 years 9.7-10.5 mil

Old
11-12-2013, 05:29 PM
ChoseLa

Worst GM in history, past present and future.... How can he extend Diaz? It's clear now that he'll never win the Norris anyways!!!!!!!@

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:30 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

And we need RH shots. But Diaz is gonna ask for too much.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iwishihadacup

the opinions on Diaz around here are totally laughable...

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
Actually like I said, I don't have anything against the guy... I'm not saying he's a bad player, but we would need physical d-men who are more defense oriented. With Subban-Markov-Gorges-Emelin-Tinordi, if I had to choose between Diaz and a defensive D, I think I'd go with a defensive d.

But then again, I understand your comment wasn't necessarily directed to me don't worry
Out of that list of dmen, all five should be considered as defensive dmen with Markov and Subban excelling at both ends of the rink. Now, why would you want or need another defensive dman unless some of them simply aren't doing their job? If that's the case, why not replace the defensive dmen that aren't holding their weight instead of losing the 2-way dman who is actually holding his weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Hmmm, maybe they want him traded? I think most habs fans realize that it would be stupid to let him walk at the end of the year when you can get a decent return right now or at the deadline. I'd like to keep Diaz if his salary demands aren't excessive.
Ok, let's play the other side of the argument for a second. So they don't think he's good enough for us to even negotiate a contract with, but that it'd be stupid for us to let him go for nothing? It's not like the guy is on his last legs, so that literally makes no sense at all. If he's good enough for other teams to give something of substance for him at the deadline and we aren't in a rebuilding phase, then it'd be ridiculous to trade him. Unless, of course, there were underlying issues with him(salary demands, headcase, locker room problems, bad fit for system), but considering we actually are negotiating with him, most, if not all of those issues are nonexistent.

As you said, "if his salary demands aren't excessive", well how else would you find out his salary demands?

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
The closer a player gets to UFA the price usually goes up.

I'd rather sign a guy now at 3 years 10.5 mil than wait and pay him 4 years 16 mil because UFA is right around the corner.

DD was going to be a RFA not a UFA(though he had arbitration rights which is inflationary). In hindsight MB would have waited and signed a shorter deal or gone to arbitration...but hindsight is always 20-20.

Old
11-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Why wait for him to test the market?

It's either a deal now (if he can be had reasonably) and if not, trade him for value -- esp. now that Emelin is returning.

Old
11-12-2013, 05:36 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Why wait for him to test the market?

It's either a deal now (if he can be had reasonably) and if not, trade him for value -- esp. now that Emelin is returning.
There's plenty of time after the Habs season ends to re-sign him before he hits UFA in July.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:37 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
If Gorges becomes a #5 guy at 3.9 mil then he may be the one moved. Mostly for cap reasons. I think there would be a market for him.
Yup, and that's where I see it heading for sure. Markov, Subban and Emelin as my clear top-3 for the mid-term. Diaz, Beaulieu, Tinordi, one of them will be the other top-4 with the other 2 and some cheap vets on the bottom pairing. No reason to have Gorges and that money when we need more talent and depth on forward. I love Gorges the person and the leader, but the player lost me when I saw Kyle Turris push him around for a whole playoff series...

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:38 PM
poetryinmotion

Diaz should be regarded as a 5-6th defenseman if we are to contend and should be paid like such especially since his skill set isn't unique to the team.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:42 PM
shamrun

On tsn radio they have a Y not PK subban theme playing. Its a rip off from YMCA. Very random but hilarious.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Harpo
Lyle forever

Quote:
Would you want Gionta back at 3.5-4 mil/year? I'm assuming a 2 year deal here...or maybe 3 years 9.7-10.5 mil
No. Not with Briere and Desharnais signed for the next season. If one of them goes, maybe, but not for more than 2 years.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Diaz should be regarded as a 5-6th defenseman if we are to contend and should be paid like such especially since his skill set isn't unique to the team.
Maybe he isn't around when we contend. If you get him at a good rate it's just a tradeable asset if a better player develops. I don't really see the downside.

Old
11-12-2013, 05:43 PM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
As long as Markov is also re-signed, im okay with Diaz being extended. If they think Diaz can replace the general I'll be livid.

Lets hope subban will be nice to us.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
There's plenty of time after the Habs season ends to re-sign him before he hits UFA in July.
The closer he gets to the deadline, the more likely he'll want to test the market. Seems to me this is the best opportunity to get him at a reasonable price point, assuming he's amenable.