HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Christoph Shubert Putting It All Together?

Old
12-20-2006, 11:51 PM
The Big Rig

vCash: 500
Christoph Shubert Putting It All Together?

Has it occurred to anyone else that Christoph Schubert seems to be putting his game together at the NHL level? To me, he is one of the most improved players on the team this year (others being Emery, Volchenkov and Vermette) and is starting to fulfill his potential as a solid NHL defenceman.

Drafted in the 4th round of the 2001 entry draft, the same year as Spezza and Emery, Schubert was touted as having all the tools to succeed as an NHL defenceman - ideal size, tremendous skating ability, excellent shot, and strong positional play. He was considered to have good hockey sense, keeping things simple, playing within his abilities and using his size to his advantage.

When Schubert came to Binghamton he could be described in one word - inconsistent. At times he could look fantastic, like a sure-fire NHLer, and at others completely lost. Schubert struggled through his first two seasons in the AHL before finally putting it all together in his third season in North America - the lockout year. While playing on a D-corps that also featured NHLers Brian Pothier and Anton Volchenkov, Schubert was often the best defenceman on the ice. He displayed confidence in his game, often rushing the puck up the ice and playing a strong physical brand of hockey on the back end while scoring 10 goals and 32 points with a lack of powerplay time (compared to 10-35-45 for Volchenkov and 12-36-48 for Pothier).

While his first season in the NHL was an adventure, playing part-time at both forward and defence, it seems that Schubert is following a similar path in the NHL as he did in the AHL. It seems that after an adjustment period, Schubert is able to become more comfortable and confident in his surroundings and put his game together. I think he is doing just that this year - having already surpassed his points total from last year in only 34 games, and playing a much more reliable defensive game than we've ever seen from him.

With the abundance of quality defencemen in Ottawa this season, Schubert is bound to continue playing both forward and defence, in the absence of injury, but I think he has earned himself a spot in the top six next year.

What are your thoughts on the development of Christoph Schubert? I think, in time, Schubert could turn into a more physical version of ex-Senator Sami Salo and in a few years could be a solid #4 defenceman in this league.

Discuss...

The Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:05 AM
The Fuhr*

Solid number 4 sounds good to me.

He will be able to play 20 minutes a night on both PK and PP units. Get 5-10 goals a year with 30-35 points. He will have 120 blocked shots and hits a season also.

Very reliable defenseman coming into his own.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Redden Punches Faces*

I'd rather have him out there with the game on the line than Corvo.

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:10 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Murray seems to be gaining confidence in him defensively as well, putting him on the 2nd PK unit ahead of Corvo (thank god for that).

He's playing much better this year in his own end, making better decisions. I'd like to see Corvo scratched and Schubert left in, but we all know that won't happen.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:52 AM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Murray seems to be gaining confidence in him defensively as well, putting him on the 2nd PK unit ahead of Corvo (thank god for that).

He's playing much better this year in his own end, making better decisions. I'd like to see Corvo scratched and Schubert left in, but we all know that won't happen.
At least Murray acknowledged today that Corvo is struggling. Baby steps.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:34 AM
arbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycountry View Post
At least Murray acknowledged today that Corvo is struggling. Baby steps.
Where'd he say that?

arbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 06:40 AM
DoctorDoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbo View Post
Where'd he say that?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189166&hubname=nhl

I'd like to see Murray reduce Corvo's role. He needs to play within his limitations.

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 08:31 AM
billpo

I'v always liked Shubert. I hope he finally gets the recognition he deserves.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:09 PM
The King of Town

Schubert's becoming one of my favourites this year.

In a season where there isn't much to cheer about, he's worth cheering for.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Brandi

About Joe, the article really just says : Joe tries to do too much," Murray said. "He tries to do more than his own job at times.

I don't think that necessarily means he's getting less time on the ice, but probably being instructed to keep his game more simple

As for Shubie ... I gotta say, it's not easy flipping back and forth. My brother has converted to a Dman, and halfway through a game, he'll get told to go upfront.

The adjustment may seem easy, but you really have to get your mind around what you've been doing for the better part of the game.

So hats off to Shubie ...

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
BigEyedPhish

We should trade corvo, he could make some good trade bait.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 04:50 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensMitch04 View Post
no.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Egil

I think Redden coming back will help Corvo simplify his game. All he has to do now is play D, shoot and pinch, no more outlet bombs. He just needs to pass to Redden in the D zone and let Wade work his magic.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensMitch04 View Post
Yeah, after a half a season with the team.

How does that make sense?

Those statements make me think, did you really mean it, or just talking for the sake of it?

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote