HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Updated Jan 27

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2013, 05:59 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Is it weird that the Q records a dangerous shots/shot stat?
Either way, Roy had 8 shots tonight on top of those 3A's, all of which were "dangerous".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
He started out pretty great. I think he's seeing a reduction in ice time, he had some top 6 guys on his team returned from the NHL training camps they were at.

I like the Platzer pick, London Knights are pretty good at churning out NHL players so I'm hoping he can dark horse his way in, in a few years.
One of those times where you don't know whether it's a good or bad thing he's on a stacked team.

Speaking of which, Platzer and the Knights are playing Kingston on Sportsnet on Friday.

Last edited by 40oz: 11-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Dangerdanger

Khaira is back, had 1 assist today as well as a fight

Old
11-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post

One of those times where you don't know whether it's a good or bad thing he's on a stacked team.

Speaking of which, Platzer and the Knights are playing Kingston on Sportsnet on Friday.
The nice thing about Platzer was he was producing as a top 6 player when he was given the opportunity. Small sample, yadda yadda.

Old
11-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Darnell Nurse excites me. Can't wait to watch him at the Super Series and World Juniors.

Old
11-13-2013, 12:50 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Darnell Nurse excites me. Can't wait to watch him at the Super Series and World Juniors.
Wait a minute..

WAIT A MINUTE. WE GET TO LOOK FORWARD TO SOMETHING THIS YEAR!?!?

AND THE WJHC PROBABLY!

Old
11-13-2013, 01:25 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Wait a minute..

WAIT A MINUTE. WE GET TO LOOK FORWARD TO SOMETHING THIS YEAR!?!?

AND THE WJHC PROBABLY!
There's always the draft, and the promise of bold moves and optimism, before being disappointed again next season. Rinse and repeat.

Old
11-13-2013, 08:21 PM
rockinghockey

Oilers will make the playoffs next year ask management

Old
11-14-2013, 01:38 AM
40oz

Wow, the day the new CHL rankings come out, Marco Roy's #1 ranked Armada get blown out 6-0.

Also, Khaira with an assist.

Old
11-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Oilers4life1987

I really hope Moroz reaches his potential and more. If he could be our Lucic, that would be awesome. Ive watched some recent videos of him standing up for his teammates which the Oilers are sorely lacking. RNH got kneed 3 times and Ryan Jones came to his defence. Like seriously, Ference, Eager, Gadzic nadda.

Look at Jayden Hart crossed checked Lazar in the face

Hall - Gagner - Ebs
Moroz - RNH - Yak

Old
11-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
I really hope Moroz reaches his potential and more. If he could be our Lucic, that would be awesome. Ive watched some recent videos of him standing up for his teammates which the Oilers are sorely lacking. RNH got kneed 3 times and Ryan Jones came to his defence. Like seriously, Ference, Eager, Gadzic nadda.

Look at Jayden Hart crossed checked Lazar in the face

Hall - Gagner - Ebs
Moroz - RNH - Yak
He doesn't even have to reach Lucic status in order to be a major asset. If he ends up like any one of Clarkson, Clowe, Simmonds, Ladd, Morrow, Ott, Neil, etc. he would become a major asset to EDM

Old
11-14-2013, 07:12 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Halfway through the game and Nurse has another 2 assists giving him 22p in 19GP so far this season. 2nd highest scoring D in the OHL. Really glad we sent him back so he could avoid this cesspool.

Old
11-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Mikey71

Watching the Soo game on TV now and the Niagara broadcasters are actually raving about Nurse's howitzer of a shot. It has improved, but it is far from a howitzer. That said, he is playing solid again tonight.

Also playing REALLY well is the kid I have been pimping for our 1st round pick if we pick 5th or worse, Jared McCann. He has 2g 1a and is as legit a 2 way center as it gets, with hockey IQ thru the roof.

One thing that is fun to watch is the Soo powerplay. They all move around and seemingly every pass is tape to tape.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:21 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Just got back from the SOO Dogs game, ran into Lowe and a couple scouts. I figured I'd see him there tonight. Both Nurse and Perlini in one viewing.

I could comment on Nurse, but what's better is to use some quotes from my friend who was there with me that's a Habs fan. "He just controls the game so well." "He's clearly the most dominant player on the ice. Far more advanced than everyone else out there" "amazing!" (after blocking 4 shots in a row on the pk). He went on to say how he looks like he could develop into that stud #1 D-man.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Mikey71

I wonder if they will make their way down to Erie for tomorrow night's game between the Soo and Erie. It will be interesting to see how he does against McDavid et al. Nice matchup for sure.

Old
11-14-2013, 11:17 PM
40oz

I can't find the source of it other than when Bob says it during the MacT interview on Oilers now, but this is what the Erie Otters head coach Kris Knoblauch said about Nurse:
Quote:
-Darnell Nurse is the best defenseman he's seen in the OHL this year and it's not close
-he's a stud
-he's on another level
-the Oilers have a hell of a prospect

edit: Moroz with a Gordie Howe

Last edited by 40oz: 11-14-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old
11-14-2013, 11:50 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
what the Erie Otters head coach Kris Knoblauch said about Nurse:

Quote:
-Darnell Nurse is the best defenseman he's seen in the OHL this year and it's not close
-he's a stud
-he's on another level
-the Oilers have a hell of a prospect

Nurse could be our meal ticket, combine with Ekblad and forget about our first overalls, we're set!

Old
11-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Digger12

When I see Nurse play, my dream is that he can realize his potential of being a more physical and abrasive version of Jay Bouwmeester.

I could live with that.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:40 AM
tiger_80

Well, let's hope him and Klefbom are ready to contribute in a year or 2, because MacT won't be able to find much help through trade or free agent signings.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:32 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Watching him live last night makes me think we have a much better prospect than J. Schultz here. He carries the puck up the ice, passes, and skates with the same confidence, but he is so much better in his own end, He's a top pk guy, shot blockey, well positioned and hits well. When he adds weight, he will be a 'monster'

If we somehow get Ekblad in the draft, I would consider moving Schultz for more veteran help.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Watching him live last night makes me think we have a much better prospect than J. Schultz here. He carries the puck up the ice, passes, and skates with the same confidence, but he is so much better in his own end, He's a top pk guy, shot blockey, well positioned and hits well. When he adds weight, he will be a 'monster'

If we somehow get Ekblad in the draft, I would consider moving Schultz for more veteran help.
I watched a good part of the game last night and I must say I was very impressed. He has improved by leaps and bounds this year.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

We will ruin him. Is he old enough to play in the AHL next year?

Old
11-15-2013, 10:35 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post

I still wouldn't move Schultz. I don't think it's a coincidence that the PP and scoring overall has suffered badly since he went down.

If we get Ekblad this season, I think in 3-4 years a top 4 D of

Ekblad - Nurse
Klefbom - Schultz

Would be tremendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
We will ruin him. Is he old enough to play in the AHL next year?
Nope. Luckily he'll likely be going back to the OHL next season and staying far away from this freak show.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:47 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

He stuck around for so long already in this pre-season that I'm afraid the Oilers will rush him. In fact, I'm pretty much guaranteeing it. Hopefully Mac T seeing that Klefbom needed time in the AHL after being so high on him in the summer will give him some caution.

It would probably be perfect if Nurse could play in the AHL, the age restrictions seem idiotic to me. If he can play in the NHL, he should be able to play in the AHL.

I agree with s7ark, he'll dominate junior but so what, after another year there, he'll be ready I'd be for top 4 time.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
He stuck around for so long already in this pre-season that I'm afraid the Oilers will rush him. In fact, I'm pretty much guaranteeing it. Hopefully Mac T seeing that Klefbom needed time in the AHL after being so high on him in the summer will give him some caution.

It would probably be perfect if Nurse could play in the AHL, the age restrictions seem idiotic to me. If he can play in the NHL, he should be able to play in the AHL.

I agree with s7ark, he'll dominate junior but so what, after another year there, he'll be ready I'd be for top 4 time.
Mac T has shown a desire to insert NHL/pro players instead of rookies, much more than Tambo.

I see Nurse being brought along slowly.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:53 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I still wouldn't move Schultz. I don't think it's a coincidence that the PP and scoring overall has suffered badly since he went down.

If we get Ekblad this season, I think in 3-4 years a top 4 D of

Ekblad - Nurse
Klefbom - Schultz

Would be tremendous.

Nope. Luckily he'll likely be going back to the OHL next season and staying far away from this freak show.
I know there is big talk about trading our 1st round pick for the 14 draft but if we can get Ekblad we would be set on defense for the next 12 yrs. I know that they take a bit of time to develop but I think Klefbom will be ready next year, Nurse the following year and Ekblad the year after or because of his size he could be ready the same year Nurse is. Our core is young enough I would be ok with letting these kids come into their own. I don't think they will be 4 yrs away.
Next year our dmen are:
Petry
J.Schultz
Belov
Klefbom
Ference
Fedun
2015 we have
Petry
J.Schultz
Belov
Klefbom