HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Given your skillset..

Old
11-12-2013, 07:32 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Well generally hockey IQ is my strong point and I have good positioning around the net, so I may be able to put myself in a position for the Sedins to bank a shot on net off my stick... as long the opposing 'crease clearing' dmen promise to not hurt me

Fantasy-wise though stepping into an actual game is waaaaay to far out of reach, but I've always wondered what it would be like to partake in some offensive zone drills with an NHL team or NHL players.

I've been pretty lucky so far in my hockey playing days in that while that team is no more now I got to play with some Czech and Slovak junior level players on a B div team. Highest level player I got to line up against was a guy that played top level US College hockey, and last season I finally had a bit of an offensive breakout with 16 points in 25 games playing a Pascal Dupuis-like role.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:48 PM
iLandHer

vCash: 500
The only real 'skill' I have is my ability to screen the goalie and pick up some garbage goals. If I was playing on the Canadian national team, put on the PP...maybe, just maybe I'd get a point by a shot hitting me in the ass and bouncing in.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:57 AM
Fanned On It

I can't believe some people are saying they would be "ok" IF this or THAT happened. I mean come on... just the physicality of the NHL would probably have you injured in your first game. Especially considering most of us on here haven't really played high level travel or Juniors/College or whatever.. most of us would be out there with our heads down and get concussed in the first 3 seconds.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:22 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I can't believe some people are saying they would be "ok" IF this or THAT happened. I mean come on... just the physicality of the NHL would probably have you injured in your first game. Especially considering most of us on here haven't really played high level travel or Juniors/College or whatever.. most of us would be out there with our heads down and get concussed in the first 3 seconds.
Even if you've played travel/rep.

I play in a league that has a good few former NCAA (II/III), junior, minor pro (ECHL/Europe) players in it and 99.99999% of the people in here would be toast going up against NHLers.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:51 PM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
I imagine I'd be hit so hard in my first shift they'd need two stretchers to carry me off. So I guess I'd be remembered.
Exactly my thoughts. I don't doubt that there are a few good shooters/skaters/passers here, but I am sure that no one would be able to handle the speed the checks come your way. So yeah, I'd prolly be checked into Oblivion too the first time the puck came near my stick.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Stickchecked

I would be so slow getting out of the offensive zone to backcheck that I would get hit with a cherry picking pass and their centre coming back from the other end of the rink would still be able to catch me and strip the puck off of me before I got a shot off.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
In reality, being currently 6'1" and 137 (as well as not used to playing with body checking), I'd probably get rocked so hard my first shift on the ice that I'd never play hockey ever again. But, if we assumed a few things, such as me being able to handle the physicality of the NHL, and that the skills I actually do possess as a player were up to NHL caliber, I might make an okay offensive defenseman.

TLDR: "If I were a completely different person I could be an NHL player."

11-13-2013, 03:40 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Even if you've played travel/rep.

I play in a league that has a good few former NCAA (II/III), junior, minor pro (ECHL/Europe) players in it and 99.99999% of the people in here would be toast going up against NHLers.
You're both 105% right.

I've had the pleasure of playing in the same tournament with an AHL player over the summer at a local rink. He was doing it because he grew up there and figured it'd be a good time with all of his old friends. The best players who had gone on to play some college hockey and did the whole travel thing as teenagers were absolutely dominated when the guy decided to play 30% of his level.

He was the only player who didn't get tired at all, could play an entire game, would just score whenever he wanted but would hold off until time was winding down, constantly made tape to tape passes, and never put himself in a position to get hit or take a cheap shot from anyone. It's just amazing how much better AHL guys are then above average players, and how amazing retired NHL players still are. I've heard stories of retired NHL goalies being the best offensive players in some recreational leagues. Just let that soak in a bit.

Old
11-13-2013, 03:53 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
It's just amazing how much better AHL guys are then above average players, and how amazing retired NHL players still are. I've heard stories of retired NHL goalies being the best offensive players in some recreational leagues. Just let that soak in a bit.
None of that really surprises me, I think the biggest difference between NHL players and beer leaguers, is the fact that most people have a day job that doesn't allow them to skate 7 days a week.

NHL players are on the ice 6-7 days a week since they are children, anyone that has that luxury is going to get very good at hockey, unless you are just extremely uncoordinated.

I don't think it's fair to compare a normal being to someone that spends their entire life dedicated to hockey, 7 days a week. Obviously natural skill set has a say too, but there is plenty of guys in the NHL who wouldn't be there if they weren't groomed to be there from birth, there is ton of politics when it comes to making it to the NHL, it's not all skill.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
CanucksSayEh

I would make Crosby my punk....

Seriously, tho, I would just challenge my scronny 5'11 self against the biggest goon, Macintyre, Mcgrattan, Orr ect. Get one punched, receive injury pay, and be remembered as a total boss.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I've heard stories of retired NHL goalies being the best offensive players in some recreational leagues. Just let that soak in a bit.
I don't doubt that at all. A friend of mine plays D1 net (recently drafted to the NHL but not there yet). He skates as a defenseman for us in summer league and is easily, without really trying, one of the league's top scorers and best players.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Geo73

I'd look awesome out there.

Until the ref dropped the puck.

Geo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:45 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
None of that really surprises me, I think the biggest difference between NHL players and beer leaguers, is the fact that most people have a day job that doesn't allow them to skate 7 days a week.

NHL players are on the ice 6-7 days a week since they are children, anyone that has that luxury is going to get very good at hockey, unless you are just extremely uncoordinated.

I don't think it's fair to compare a normal being to someone that spends their entire life dedicated to hockey, 7 days a week. Obviously natural skill set has a say too, but there is plenty of guys in the NHL who wouldn't be there if they weren't groomed to be there from birth, there is ton of politics when it comes to making it to the NHL, it's not all skill.
You're right with the time they dedicate to the sport. But most really wouldn't think that they'd be that much better than guys who played in college or any other kind of competitive situation.

The fact that there is such a difference between an AHL All-Star and an NHL All-Star is pretty crazy, given that the AHL player would dominate in any competitive level below that. I can't comprehend what it would be like playing with an NHL-er and more specifically the All-Stars.

Plus goalies being able to dominate in roles outside of the net is pretty scary when you think about it too. They don't even play out full time and mostly do it while goofing around later on in their lives.

Old
11-13-2013, 07:56 PM
boo10

Quote:

This is the most sensible thing I have read in this thread. As a bantam there was a kid behind me on the depth chart and I was definitely more skilled than he was at that time. That kid went on to win an Art Ross trophy and will most likely be in the Hall of Fame one day. The point is that this guy did not develop his uber skillset until junior when he was on the ice every single day.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:04 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

My "speed" skating is alright. I don't think I would be too out of place in the NHL in that regard, but my finesse skating isn't close to a NHL level. My positioning would be okay. My main problem would be strength. I'd get murdered out there. My game plan would be to get the puck, gain the red line, and dump it or give it to a line mate, but as soon as Chara decides to step up at me, I'm done.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Haha I would definitely be noticed, for all the wrong reasons. You could put me with Crosby as centre and Ovechkin as left wing and I still doubt I'd get more than 5 pts over the course of a season.

I've played with guys who are average Junior A players, and they are miles better than me and would look terrible in the NHL, beyond terrible. So I can't even imagine what I'd look like
LOL this. All my points would probably come from just trying to clear the puck and by dumb luck, hitting a teammate and something coming out of it.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27jmr2008 View Post
If given the opportunity to play in the NHL for 1 game while playing first line minutes could you be impactful/ or at least be "noticed" in a game?
Impactful? Noticed? Haha...

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:

No.

Im not even talking about NHLers. Im talking about guys who played lower level pro, got a cup of coffee at the lower level pro legues.

These guys are streets ahead of 99% of beer leaguers.

NHLers are on another planet.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

I'm 15, 5'6 and 145 lbs. Sure I'd get noticed.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:37 AM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
This is the most sensible thing I have read in this thread. As a bantam there was a kid behind me on the depth chart and I was definitely more skilled than he was at that time. That kid went on to win an Art Ross trophy and will most likely be in the Hall of Fame one day. The point is that this guy did not develop his uber skillset until junior when he was on the ice every single day.
Exactly, most professional athletes aren't just born with the ability, some of them yes, obviously the elite of the elite (gretz,crosby,howe,etc etc) but when we're talking about standard NHL players, these are guys that were groomed to play in the NHL from birth, and wouldn't make it if they weren't on skates at 3 years old. It comes down to doing something EVERY SINGLE DAY, and quite frankly most people don't have that luxury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
No.

Im not even talking about NHLers. Im talking about guys who played lower level pro, got a cup of coffee at the lower level pro legues.

These guys are streets ahead of 99% of beer leaguers.

NHLers are on another planet.

What? You're response is a little strange and I'm not entirely sure what you're responding to.

There is a ton of politics when it comes to making it to the NHL, unless we're referring to the elite of the elite (top 50 NHL'ers) then there is more guys out there then you realize who could play those roles in the NHL but will never get the chance.

Old
11-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think what he meant was that even minor leaguers and what we consider "hacks" in the NHL are still far, far better than the vast majority of beer leaguers. And by extension, regular to good NHL'ers would be absolutely unbelievable.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:04 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think what he meant was that even minor leaguers and what we consider "hacks" in the NHL are still far, far better than the vast majority of beer leaguers. And by extension, regular to good NHL'ers would be absolutely unbelievable.
Oh yes, absolutely, even fringe NHL'ers are way better then high end house leaguers, but again, these are guys that have spent 6-7 days a week on the ice since they were small children.

Old
11-14-2013, 12:32 PM
w00t99

I actually don't think if 99% of people were able to play every single day from when they were 3-18 they would even come close to the NHL. Professional athletes are born with inherit physical abilities/attributes (hence why so many professional athletes are extremely talented at multiple sports). I do agree that out of those with the necessary natural abilities, it comes down to a work ethic but sadly you can't out work genetics.

Just for the record I absolutely fall into the noticed category. Maybe some sort of record for being the only guy skating away from all other players at all times?

w00t99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Kyndig86

I'd say my skillset currently would be best suited for shootouts and penalty shots.

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:05 PM
CunniJA

If you stepped out as a goalie, you would still make a few saves. :p

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote