HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Duhatscheck previews 11/12 GM meeting

Old
11-11-2013, 10:43 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Duhatscheck previews 11/12 GM meeting

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...15/?cmpid=rss1

GMs meeting tomorrow (after HHOF inductions). "Emery Rule" and fighting seem to be some of the hot button issues.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:13 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Not going to lie... if they overreact and effectively ban the chance of any and all goalie fights, I will be ticked.

Could easily just make a rule that opposing goaltenders are auto banned if they enter the other team's zone except when they're going to the bench (and even that qualifier probably isn't necessary). In other words, there couldn't be a situation where an unwilling combatant would be forced into a fight, as all he have to do is stay on his side of the blue line, and if both sides were willing they'd just dance in the neutral zone.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...54/?cmpid=rss1

Bettman wonders if fighting debate is getting too much attention

Old
11-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Not going to lie... if they overreact and effectively ban the chance of any and all goalie fights, I will be ticked.

Could easily just make a rule that opposing goaltenders are auto banned if they enter the other team's zone except when they're going to the bench (and even that qualifier probably isn't necessary). In other words, there couldn't be a situation where an unwilling combatant would be forced into a fight, as all he have to do is stay on his side of the blue line, and if both sides were willing they'd just dance in the neutral zone.

Really? I can't remember the last night I dialed up a game and hoped for a goalie fight. I get the passionate response, heat of the moment type thing during scrums around the net, or obviously between skaters, but one guy skating down the length of the ice to fight with another player with whom he has no contact whatsoever?

I still think the commissioner has it as his discretion to act outside the rules if he feels a player's actions, on and off the ice, make the league look bad.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 10:53 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Sure, but when was the last time you tuned into a game and hoped to see a goalie score? They're just fun and unexpected, so long as both parties are willing to go.

As I said, don't let them go into the other team's zone. Boom, a goalie would never be forced to dance against their will as a result and the option is still open.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:32 PM
chasespace

Go with what NFS said, if the goalies want to fight they meet in center ice. If one crosses the opposing blue line then they get a punishment of some sort.

I'd also like to see them remove the trapezoid, but that's just me.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Go with what NFS said, if the goalies want to fight they meet in center ice. If one crosses the opposing blue line then they get a punishment of some sort.

I'd also like to see them remove the trapezoid, but that's just me.
While I completely agree with removing the Trapezoid as yet another failed & absurd experiment, I do take serious issue with staged fights in hockey & two goalies going at it is the absolute pinnacle of that kind of idiocy. Straight out of Slapshot. Its an embarrassment to the game, the league, the players. Just when, where & how those Carny act's even started I have no idea. Its a disgrace. Not Old School Code, its No Code.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 11:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Talk on NHL Live today with McKenzie was that hybrid icing will also be on the agenda.

Perhaps some tweaking (like when does the linesman have to make a decision).

Old
11-12-2013, 10:49 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Apparently ten minute OTs are also on the schedule for discussion.

https://twitter.com/darrendreger/sta...01933530841088

Old
11-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:

I generally agree with this. And I am not a fan of fighting, but I do accept it.

The only rule they need is that an opposing goalie can't cross the other team's blueline for the purpose of instigating, or involving themselves in a fight. If both goalies want to go, they just need to meet at centre ice, and then they can dance where ever they please.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 02:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...t-gm-meetings/

Bullying on the agenda as well.

Old
11-12-2013, 02:32 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Not sure why goalies are being targetted? No player should be subjected to what Holtby was. Ban any fighting where there are not two willing combatants.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 03:01 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

3 on 3 OT is at least on the table moving forward, for better or worse.

https://twitter.com/darrendreger/sta...67009398931456

Old
11-12-2013, 04:19 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

I've heard proposed that OT be up to 10 minutes:

5 minutes 4 on 4
5 minutes 3 on 3

Old
11-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Blue Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Not sure why goalies are being targetted? No player should be subjected to what Holtby was. Ban any fighting where there are not two willing combatants.
It's called the instigator. Whether or not it's effective as a deterrant is a separate debate, however.

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 01:10 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...duce-shootouts
AP recap
Quote:
Overtime was one of many topics discussed at Tuesday's annual general managers meeting after Hockey Hall of Fame induction night, along with fighting, hybrid icing and the playoff format that was introduced for this season.

No formal rule changes came about, though the purpose of this get-together is more to set up the next meeting in March.
Also clarification of playoff format (see separate thread), reminder of "what's not acceptable" (ala NFL hazing issue), fighting (including goalies).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...81/?cmpid=rss1
Duhatschek's recap

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ing-hot-topics
LeBrun's recap

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...ts-at-meetings
Stubits recap

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=691132
NHL recap

Old
11-13-2013, 06:47 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:

Here is the thing. How often have we seen goalies (or those lovely overstuff teddy bears on the ice as my ex-wife called them) jump in and help one of his players in a scrum. If the teams are at even strength and the fights break out and the one goalie gets into making it a 6 on 5 fight thing--he should get the book thrown at him as well

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote