HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
11-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
i'l hearing that the Flyers are trying to move Luke Schenn
From who?

It would be extra dumb to lower his value by playing stiffs like Gill and Meszaros ahead of Schenn, then try to trade him for peanuts.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 08:20 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Weren't the Schenns working out with Shea Weber or someone like that during the off season?

Also, I can't see anyone elite coming back for them at this point. Luke is constantly a healthy scratch and Brayden hasn't done a whole lot.
Luke was scratched for two games. I'm far from his biggest defender, but stop acting like he's constantly in and out of the lineup. In fact, he played very well against the Oilers; it was his best performance of the season.

Brayden is one of the few players that's producing anything on offense right now. Not bad for a kid that's never given a set position in the lineup.

Last edited by flyershockey: 11-12-2013 at 08:25 AM.
flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:15 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'll be livid if Holmgren doesn't get something good for Schenn if he is even on the block. Should have just kept JVR....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 09:21 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Looking at +/- for anyone on the team right now is hard because of how inept the scoring has been. Everyone will be a minus!

11-12-2013, 09:57 AM
BillDineen

Schenn looked much better last season when he was playing with confidence. His skating really stands out when he is not. I would personally like to see him lose (muscle) weight. I think both he and his brother train hard in the summer from what I have read, but he certainly does not need more muscle weight at all.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:10 AM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Schenn looked much better last season when he was playing with confidence. His skating really stands out when he is not. I would personally like to see him lose (muscle) weight. I think both he and his brother train hard in the summer from what I have read, but he certainly does not need more muscle weight at all.
From what I remember reading, both Schenn's trained with Weber which was more strength training than anything else. Not what Luke needs at all when skating is already such a huge issue. He's been noticeably better since Berube's had him doing skating drills and since he's been doing extra skating on his own.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:58 AM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
I'll be livid if Holmgren doesn't get something good for Schenn if he is even on the block. Should have just kept JVR....
yes
&
yes

they'll probably lose the next trade again, which compounds the first error...

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
From who?

It would be extra dumb to lower his value by playing stiffs like Gill and Meszaros ahead of Schenn, then try to trade him for peanuts.
I believe it's coming from Jim Matheson out of Edmonton.

"- The Flyers are vigorously shopping defenceman Luke Schenn (foot speed issues) and fellow blueliner Andrej Meszaros but both make too much money. Schenn, who came from Toronto for James van Riemsdyk, sports a $3.6-million cap hit for three more years, and Meszaros is $4 million, but he’s an unrestricted free agent in July. “They thought Van Riemsdyk was a little soft,” said one pro scout. Not so much in Toronto, and Schenn has been a healthy scratch three times."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...up-in-the-air/

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Schenn was pretty bad tonight. I think it would be wise to just dump him asap.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:26 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Not a good idea to judge a 23-24 y/o dman on a game by game basis. The kid needs to get his confidence back so hopefully they don't yo-yo the guy in and out of the line up.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
If the Flyers were looking to move him, what kind of return would they be looking for? Is it really at the point where the asking price would be fairly low?

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:33 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Not a good idea to judge a 23-24 y/o dman on a game by game basis. The kid needs to get his confidence back so hopefully they don't yo-yo the guy in and out of the line up.
I'm not saying you should trade him, but he has been not good for kind of a while now. But for all young players you do need to make a decision if you think he can improve or not. If you don't think they can improve enough to fit what you want them to do for your team you need to trade him while you can still get something for him. You're just shooting yourself in the foot if you keep a player around cause they're young even if you don't think it's likely that they can get better.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
If the Flyers were looking to move him, what kind of return would they be looking for? Is it really at the point where the asking price would be fairly low?
I'm tired of the way the Flyers approach some of their trade dealings. They traded JVR when his value wasn't high, Versteeg when his wasn't high, and now they'll trade Schenn when his isn't high. Maybe they should try to give players time to develop - both in skill and chemistry - before giving up. Versteeg had 20 games, JVR played great in the playoffs, got hurt the next year, and then was shipped out because he wasn't developing as planned. Everyone knows power forwards take longer to develop - except Holmgren. The same goes for defensemen.

Philadelphia has the least patience of any club. Maybe they should learn from well run teams who take time with their players like Detroit. Brendan Smith was drafted in 2007 and finally made the team full time last year. The Flyers would have given up on him 4 years ago.

What would you get for Schenn at this point? A third round pick? Matt Ellison? Matt Walker? Is that really worth it?

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I'm tired of the way the Flyers approach some of their trade dealings. They traded JVR when his value wasn't high, Versteeg when his wasn't high, and now they'll trade Schenn when his isn't high. Maybe they should try to give players time to develop - both in skill and chemistry - before giving up. Versteeg had 20 games, JVR played great in the playoffs, got hurt the next year, and then was shipped out because he wasn't developing as planned. Everyone knows power forwards take longer to develop - except Holmgren. The same goes for defensemen.

Philadelphia has the least patience of any club. Maybe they should learn from well run teams who take time with their players like Detroit. Brendan Smith was drafted in 2007 and finally made the team full time last year. The Flyers would have given up on him 4 years ago.

What would you get for Schenn at this point? A third round pick? Matt Ellison? Matt Walker? Is that really worth it?

Dude there is a reason why brendan smith is 24 and now finally getting regular minutes at the 6th dman. And it's not because Detroit is being patient with him, it's cause he sucks.

Dekayser walked right in and played top 4 minutes and has outclassed him in every sense.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 12:04 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I definitely see the foot speed issues..he was pretty bad tonight. I took note of the foot speed a little more than usual. I didn't notice it as much last year. This is very disconcerting considering what we gave up for him. I'm not sure it's an age thing with him....like with Couturier. I kind of see some red flags in his game but not sure why he has regressed from last year...is it really a muscle mass issue or he just dense and will never "get it" which is ironically what was said about JVR?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:23 AM
BillDineen

What would thoughts be around a trade involving Kulikov for L. Schenn? Kulikov has more upside IMO. Some KHL risk as an RFA though. I am not sure Schenn's upside is much more than Grossmann.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:48 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
What would thoughts be around a trade involving Kulikov for L. Schenn? Kulikov has more upside IMO. Some KHL risk as an RFA though. I am not sure Schenn's upside is much more than Grossmann.

Can Luke still go down to the Phantoms? I would hate to give up on him too soon!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
I cannot believe they would give up on him now when his value is probably at an all time low... when last year he was playing 22+ a night, was a top PKer and probably all round best D man. Plus the fact he is about 3 years off the start of his prime for a d man.

His career is following a bizarre path though. One good year followed by one bad seemingly three times in a row now. Seriously, 1st, 3rd and 5th year he showed he was probably a 3ish kind of guy (who could play as a shut down 2 with a more offensive partner) who could eat 22+ and play great D while chipping in 20-25 points, 2nd, 4th and (so far) 6th he has been a #5, 16-17 min average D kind of guy who gets 15 points.

The thing is, the first 4-5 games this year I thought he may well have been our best D man... then he had a few average games and one really bad one and he is scratched. Yeh, his foot-speed needs improvement, but his all round game apart from that is pretty solid, underrated passing, underrated shot and has shown he can PK and really play D while being tough, hitting and blocking.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:02 AM
Psuhockey

Depending how this season goes, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to package the brothers Schenn into a deal for something good if possible. One looks like he is skating in sand and the other some times looks like he isn't skating at all. For what the flyers payed for each, they have been disappointing even at their young ages.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:06 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I cannot believe they would give up on him now when his value is probably at an all time low...

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
No, he wasn't. He played over 20 minutes, was +1, made good passes and looked solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Depending how this season goes, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to package the brothers Schenn into a deal for something good if possible. One looks like he is skating in sand and the other some times looks like he isn't skating at all. For what the flyers payed for each, they have been disappointing even at their young ages.
BSchenn is tied for the team lead in scoring.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:31 AM
flyershockey

Yeah, I'm not sure why so many people are hell bent on including Brayden Schenn in trades. Most people expected a 50-55 point season for Schenn to keep up with his development, which he's doing despite the fact that the team's offense has been atrocious as a whole.

Old
11-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
No, he wasn't. He played over 20 minutes, was +1, made good passes and looked solid.
I counted 6 plays where he fumbled the puck in his own end without being pressured that lead to an eventual turnover, or prolonged offensive pressure from Ottawa.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why so many people are hell bent on including Brayden Schenn in trades. Most people expected a 50-55 point season for Schenn to keep up with his development, which he's doing despite the fact that the team's offense has been atrocious as a whole.
You have to give to get. Teams don't give away good players for the junk fans don't like. Simmonds and B. Schenn are probably the only trade commodities on this team that can get the high end players the Flyers need.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:37 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
You have to give to get. Teams don't give away good players for the junk fans don't like. Simmonds and B. Schenn are probably the only trade commodities on this team that can get the high end players the Flyers need.
Why even make a trade though? They're finally starting to show some signs of life. Why not just let it ride and see what this group is really capable of? I venture to guess it's closer to what we saw in 2011-2012 versus 2012-2013. The only difference is that this team now seems committed to playing defense and protecting their goalie.