HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
We are now on par with Leafs fans during the late Ballard era and 'Hawks fans during the Wirtz Sr./Pulford era.

It's not about not being a 'true fan,' it's refusing to be a masochist an continue to allow yourself as a fan to be shart all over by the current management group.
You know you have the bloody option to just stop right?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Psychoil

past my breaking point......apathy has set in. this yakupov stuff is entertaining once you take the emotions out of it

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Aplayaz2000

i dont cheer for a team because they're "good"
i cheer because am soul bind to it

it's more than just i like this team the best
are the oilers your team ?

or just a team you like

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
i dont cheer for a team because they're "good"
i cheer because am soul bind to it

it's more than just i like this team the best
are the oilers your team ?

or just a team you like
That's it right there.

Although I'm personally losing patience and trust with the org. It's hard to cheer for a team run by people who you think are absolutely moronic and egotistical cancers. I like the players a lot more than the suits and I just might end up following some of these players if they get dealt.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:43 AM
FlyOil

If something happens to Eberle.

FlyOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
actually, now that another 1st overall pick is possible and top 3 is probable, i won't break, but I will lose it if that pick is not traded for a real player or two. Especially this year, when there doesn't seem to be a real star player available. If this team thinks another 18 year old is the way to go.... OMG... i shudder at the thought. there wont be playoffs for 5 more years.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:40 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Classy response. If something is so terrible you can just remove yourself from the situation.
Generally fans who are posting on a message board are die hard fans so it's not so easy to detach yourself from the team. I know that you're an optimistic but i'm sure that you can understand the frustrations of the fanbase.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:41 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
actually, now that another 1st overall pick is possible and top 3 is probable, i won't break, but I will lose it if that pick is not traded for a real player or two. Especially this year, when there doesn't seem to be a real star player available. If this team thinks another 18 year old is the way to go.... OMG... i shudder at the thought. there wont be playoffs for 5 more years.
There's one star player in the draft:

Aaron Ekblad

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Generally fans who are posting on a message board are die hard fans so it's not so easy to detach yourself from the team. I know that you're an optimistic but i'm sure that you can understand the frustrations of the fanbase.
Optimistic? No, this team is ****. Just because I don't chose to enter the constant bashing of everything oilers related, doesn't mean i'm optimistic.

It's easy to take a step back and do something else. I'm a die hard too. Its not that hard.

IF someone refuses to be shat on, but continues to watch or participate, they are just asking for it.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:46 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Optimistic? No, this team is ****. Just because I don't chose to enter the constant bashing of everything oilers related, doesn't mean i'm optimistic.

It's easy to take a step back and do something else. I'm a die hard too. Its not that hard.
Isn't this board supposed to be a community designed to share in the joy with your fellow fans when the team is doing well and to vent your frustrations when the team is in the crapper? Why does somebody have to leave the team or take a step back if they are frustrated?
Die hard fans generally die hard with the team and we've been dying hard for a long time now, it actually seems to be getting worse every year so naturally you're going to read constant bashing of the team. Did you expect all positivity threads based on what has transpired?
I agree that the bashing and conspiracy theorists can be over the top at times (some of the accusations of Hall and Eberle in particular have been a bit much) but such is life with a passionate fanbase.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm starting to lose interest in the NHL because of the Oilers. Even friends here in Calgary don't troll me anymore. I get looks like my dog just died and they feel so bad for me.
This franchise is pathetic

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:50 AM
oilersfan11

One Scout (I don't remember exactly) said that in terms of players in the draft its:

Ekblad-Star Potential

Reinhart-Below star potential/But plenty of potential to be a good player long term.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else

Old
11-13-2013, 10:59 AM
oilersfan11

Aaron Ekblad could be 6'5 and around 220-240 pounds when he is fully mature.

So crazy.

Imagine having a defenseman like that on the backend for the next decade.

Old
11-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'm starting to lose interest in the NHL because of the Oilers. Even friends here in Calgary don't troll me anymore. I get looks like my dog just died and they feel so bad for me.
Empathy from Flames fans hurts my pride in so many ways. We'll know the Oilers have turned us into soulless NHL shells when Canucks fans stop acting like, uh, well, Canucks fans around us.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
There's one star player in the draft:

Aaron Ekblad
admittedly, I don't have any knowledge about the 2014 crop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Aaron Ekblad could be 6'5 and around 220-240 pounds when he is fully mature.

So crazy.

Imagine having a defenseman like that on the backend for the next decade.
hmmm. well, if you are prepared to go that way, and make the core of this team Nurse, Klefbom and Eckblad that would probably work eventually, but you are looking at at least 5 more years of futility. you would be supplimenting the said core with whatever you trade Hall/Ebs/RNH for, because they will be near the end of their 7 year contracts when the team finally competes for a playoff spot. And how many fans will final give up after over a decade without playoffs. the present is now more important than the future. I can't take it anymore. i watched Housewives of NJ last night instead of hockey!?!?!?!?! I'm to the point of hating hockey.

I've soured on these high picks. We have too many as it is. We should have traded the Yak pick, AFAIC.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
Empathy from Flames fans hurts my pride in so many ways. We'll know the Oilers have turned us into soulless NHL shells when Canucks fans stop acting like, uh, well, Canucks fans around us.
Go look at the Yakupov thread in the trade forum. Some people are willing to overpay just to help the Oilers out in their proposals

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Ghostbuster

I'm still an Oilers fan, but my support is at its lowest right now.

This management/owner have not taken the necessary steps to make this team a contender and this is over 8 years. We are the new Leafs. This is not acceptable and by giving the Oilers any form of support will probably allow them to do this more-so.

In the mean time I will be cheering my Broncos.

The fans who still will put out $$$ for the Oilers right now aren't helping. Empty seats speak loudest.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:29 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
Won't happen.

You underestimate the psychological damage your Oilers did to us older Canuck fans in the 80's.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Won't happen.

You underestimate the psychological damage your Oilers did to us older Canuck fans in the 80's.
No, I get it. I mean they're doing it to current Oilers fans now. But it does makes me feel good to know that some people with long memories still hate us.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:33 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

The only thing I do not like is that my brothers psyche is directly linked to how the oilers play and it sounds like he has gone off the reservation again

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
The 4-0 loss to the leafs was my breaking point. I have no passion for this team anymore and I actually want them to fail until Klown resigns or is fired.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Isn't this board supposed to be a community designed to share in the joy with your fellow fans when the team is doing well and to vent your frustrations when the team is in the crapper? Why does somebody have to leave the team or take a step back if they are frustrated?
Die hard fans generally die hard with the team and we've been dying hard for a long time now, it actually seems to be getting worse every year so naturally you're going to read constant bashing of the team. Did you expect all positivity threads based on what has transpired?
I agree that the bashing and conspiracy theorists can be over the top at times (some of the accusations of Hall and Eberle in particular have been a bit much) but such is life with a passionate fanbase.
I'm looking beyond sports here. I'm looking at this as a scenario in which causes great pain to people.

Put it this way: if you were always frustrated with something, you would try to change it. No?

Old
11-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Unlike some of the folks here, I'm an Oiler fan. I've been one since they entered the NHL in '79 and will be one until either, I die or, they move elsewhere.

I've seen great, good and bad times over those years. I've cheered, booed and gotten very frustrated at this team.

In my opinion,the majority of the issues coming to light now are because they are a losing team and have been for so long. Just about everyone is upset, apathetic or have just given up because of it.
I don't think there's one thing that can be pointed at that's the cause of this but what I see, from my own perspective, is this:

The Oil had a lot of loyal followers throughout the 80's and 90's. When they wern't winning, they were playing with heart, drive, perseverance, whatever. That started to wan in the 2000's. The excuse at the beginning was the Oilers couldn't afford to keep their stars and, after awhile, couldn't even pay the half decent ones.

Then came the lockout and subsequent 'even' playing field.

The cup run in 2006 was an aberation. It was the right players at the right time (including Pronger) and people, including Oil management, got caught up in the fever and thought this was how it was going to be in the future. Management didn't put enough effort into scouting, coaching, etc, and just led 'nature take it's course'.
When they finally realized the team was at the bottom and most likely couldn't climb back to the playoffs any time soon, they brain thrust decided to call a rebuild. Unfortunately, they still didn't shore up the scouting, minor development, coaching, etc. Lowe rested and didn't put near the focus on the team that it required. Not sure why, perhaps because he was focused elsewhere or didn't care, etc.

Lowe and company kept hiring inexperienced or poor GM's and coaches, while still not fixing the scouting, etc. What the Oil were left with was a bunch of poor management working with and teaching a bunch of young, skilled but inexperienced players, both on the big team and in the minor leagues. Due to poor management decisions and scouting, the team did not draft the correct mix of players and never did fill in the blanks that should have come from later draft picks. For instance, if you're drafting 1st overall, the 1st player in the next round should be as good as a bottom 1st round player and so on. The proper team wasn't built.

Other failures in my eyes:
  • Bringing in a young, inexperienced coach..again. The players can't learn that many systems in short order and still try to win with the mix they have.
  • Not trading Hemsky a few years back for whatever they could get
  • Not picking up a better mix on D or F by trading a young Gagner that was of the same ilk as the new players you brought in..Eberle?
  • We picked the BPA but that didn't give us a good mix. One of those top players needs to be traded to fill one of the significant needs.(I'd keep Hall and RNH).
  • Trading a known and needed commodity in Smid for, at the moment, what appears to be another small piece 4-5 years away.
  • Signing Smyth for 2 years

Outside the Eakins hire and the smid 'sale', I think MacT made some good moves (Joensuu, Perron, Belov, Gordon, Ference)
but didn't go far enough with D and goaltending, as well as the previous 'mix' issue I mentioned.

Those folks upset at Yak, Eberle and Hall either haven't been paying attention or probably just taking out their frustrations with a losing team.
Yak will be a 40 goal scorer someday but he needs time to learn this game at the NHL level. It's great to see that enthusiasm but he needs to temper it with learning the game.
Eberle is the most skilled player we have and probably one of the smartest next to RNH. If he were traded, we'd have need for that type of skill with the puck, especially if Gagner is also gone.
Hall is the catalyst that makes this team go and will be it's leader in the future.
RNH is probably the smartest and has the best overall upside on this Oilers team. As well, he's really the only top 6 C we have IMO.

I don't know if there are any locker room or on-ice personal issues with the team any more than anyone else. IMO, it's more people's assumptions and poor media interviewing looking for, and creating, stories but I really have no idea.

We can't go backward so, going forward, the management of this team will need to make hard decisions. They just can't continue to wait for draft picks to save the team but will need to move players that many of the fans, including myself, don't want to trade.
I'd love to get rid of KLowe, and I think the team should, because I think he's part of all the poor decisions the team has made, but I don't see that paying huge dividends in the immediate future.
MacT has made enough good decisions to allow him a short leash for another while.
Eakins isn't the right coach for this team at this time. Needs to be changed now.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 12:23 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
this is me as well.... i stayed loyal through the 30th, 30th, 29th finishes to get the #1 picks.... i bought the plan.... but if this team runs one of those picks out of town (as is CLEARLY happening right now) before he even plays 70 NHL games, that will be my breaking point

i'm done until we have a whole new management team if that happens, done

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
yup, exactly this, people feel bad for me now. they don't trash talk anymore because its actually becoming not cool to make fun of the oilers. We are the like the justin bieber or miley cryus of the NHL. we are such a mess that people aren't even bothering with us. I just have no fight back. I can't trash talk anyone cus our players suck and we are in like dead last.

the team has absolutely decimated its fanbase. this city is limping, we are ashamed of our sports teams....

i didnt think the oilers would be a bigger gong show than the eskimos, yet here we are.

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote