HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The AAA 2013 Draft

Old
11-13-2013, 09:33 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

vCash: 500
Blackwood Bullies Select:
Igor Kravchuk Defenseman

NHL Stats:
699 Games
64 Goals
210 Assists
274 Points
28 PPG
291 Adjusted Points
1998 All Star

Olympics:
2X Gold Medal ( 1988 & 1992)
1 Sliver Medal ( 1998)
1 Bronze Medal ( 2002)

1986 WJC Gold Medal

Legends Of Hockey:
An excellent puck-handling defenceman with a good shot from the point, defenceman Igor Kravchuk peaked in the early 1990s. Late in the decade he was a useful role player, but overall his big league career was not as rewarding as many scouts had anticipated.
Kravchuk played with the Yulajev club in both the second and first division over a five year period. Internationally, he played for the USSR at the World Junior Championships, winning bronze in 1985 and gold in 1986. After joining the senior national team he played at the 1987 Canada Cup when the USSR lost a dramatic three game final to the hosts and captured a gold medal at the 1988 Calgary Olympics.

During the 1987-88 season he joined the prestigious Central Red Army team. He won a gold medal with the Soviet Union at the 1990 World Championships and a bronze the next year. Kravchuk played a major role on the 1991 Canada Cup and on the CIS team that won gold at the Albertville Olympics in 1992.

Chosen 71st overall by the Chicago Black Hawks at the 1991 NHL Entry Draft, Kravchuk joined the NHL after Albertville. He scored eight points in 18 playoff games as the Hawks reached the Stanley Cup final for the first time in 19 years. He played 38 games in 1992-93 then was traded to Edmonton with Dean McAmmond for Joe Murphy.

Kravckuk's mobility suited the speedy Oilers and he scored 50 points in 81 games in 1993-94 to lead all Edmonton defencemen. Much of his work was done on the club's improved power play. Kravchuk's play dropped off a bit in the lockout-shortened season and he was traded to the St. Louis Blues early the next year. He performed solidly if unspectacularly while playing all 82 games for the Blues in 1996-97. Following that season he was traded to the Ottawa Senators for veteran Steve Duchesne.

The fast skating game of the Sens suited Kravchuk and he scored 35 points for Ottawa in 1997-98 and was chosen to play for the World Team in the 1998 All-Star Game. He took a regular turn on the Sens' blueline in 1998-99 and helped the club set a franchise record with 103 points. His play tailed off the next year but he was still chosen to represent Russia at the 2000 World Championships. During the 2000-01 season, the veteran blueliner was sent to the Calgary Flames where his playmaking savvy helped the team battle for a playoff spot.

Last edited by ted1971: 11-13-2013 at 09:48 AM.
ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:35 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

My pick for today will be one of my coaches. He does receive flack at times but he has a very impressive resume with great teams. These are his records at different levels:

CHL: 331-277-35, 1x QMJHL Champion, 8/10 Playoffs Made
AHL: 44-24-12, 1/1 Playoffs Made
NHL: 417-275-33-73, 1x Jack Adams, 7/10 Playoffs Made

He has a track record of winning and is incredibly experienced. I feel comfortable with him at the helm of the Belleville McFarlands.

We select Alain Vigneault (Coach)

Last edited by chaosrevolver: 11-13-2013 at 09:41 AM.
chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:40 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

Vigneault was one of the 4 coaches I thought of picking, good pick, seems like a decent enough coach.

11-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Budbuster

I select a HHOF Rover to fill an era requirment Frank Rankin.

Budbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:42 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Vigneault was one of the 4 coaches I thought of picking, good pick, seems like a decent enough coach.
Obviously the "what have you done for me lately" makes him seem like he isn't that good...but he has like 25 years of coaching experience where he won a lot at different levels.

Hartley was on my list too. So good pick yourself.

Old
11-13-2013, 09:46 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

I've been pretty happy with how I've been able to divide my team quite equally into different era's.

1916 or earlier: Jim Riley, Cecil Blachford, Archie Hooper, James Stewart
1917-1942: Bill Carson, Earl Robinson, Mike Karakas, Armand Mondou
1943-1965: Murray Balfour, Frank Eddolls, Howie Meeker
1966-1979: Terry Crisp, Dale Rolfe
1980-1994: Mike Bullard, Doug Lidster, Alain Vigneault
1995-2004: Mike Cammalleri, Tommy Salo
in 2013: Alex Edler, Scott Hartnell

Old
11-13-2013, 09:48 AM
seventieslord

I'll say one thing for Vigneault... he may go down in history as an innovator. More than anyone, he started the whole "play your one dimensional superstars in the offensive zone and against weaker players as often as possible and get your strongest defensive forward against the opposition's stars in the defensive zone" thing. He probably won't the Sedins each a Hart. And he had team success doing this too. Presidents trophy and a cup final. Teams will start to copy this.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:50 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'll say one thing for Vigneault... he may go down in history as an innovator. More than anyone, he started the whole "play your one dimensional superstars in the offensive zone and against weaker players as often as possible and get your strongest defensive forward against the opposition's stars in the defensive zone" thing. He probably won the Sedins each a Ross, and the one Hart. And he had team success doing this too. Presidents trophy and a cup final. Teams will start to copy this.
Great points. I honestly never think of him as an innovator but you are absolutely right.

Old
11-13-2013, 09:51 AM
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat

vCash: 400
Dawson City are proud to select:

G Gilles Gilbert

Gilbert was a consistent NHL goaltender throughout the 70's.

He'll split time with Ron Tugnutt between the pipes up in the Yukon.

connor macdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:51 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I've been pretty happy with how I've been able to divide my team quite equally into different era's.

1916 or earlier: Jim Riley, Cecil Blachford, Archie Hooper, James Stewart
1917-1942: Bill Carson, Earl Robinson, Mike Karakas, Armand Mondou
1943-1965: Murray Balfour, Frank Eddolls, Howie Meeker
1966-1979: Terry Crisp, Dale Rolfe
1980-1994: Mike Bullard, Doug Lidster, Alain Vigneault
1995-2004: Mike Cammalleri, Tommy Salo
in 2013: Alex Edler, Scott Hartnell
Well I can't say you're going against the spirit of the draft!

I _finally got two from the early era, but I need an active guy. I've never been short an era this late in the draft.

By the way, if anyone's wondering, the player Ted picked based on bad info, is still available. If you don't know what I'm talking about... never mind.

Old
11-13-2013, 09:53 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Well I can't say you're going against the spirit of the draft!

I _finally got two from the early era, but I need an active guy. I've never been short an era this late in the draft.

By the way, if anyone's wondering, the player Ted picked based on bad info, is still available. If you don't know what I'm talking about... never mind.
Yeah, all the modern guys are gone! No but really, I haven't really even been looking at the individual eras. My picks have just worked out that way.

Always nice to have a combination of different eras though.

Old
11-13-2013, 09:54 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post
Dawson City are proud to select:

G Gilles Gilbert

Gilbert was a consistent NHL goaltender throughout the 70's.

He'll split time with Ron Tugnutt between the pipes up in the Yukon.
No Skudra?

Not that you can't have three goalies if you want. Just curious what the plan is.

If you have buyer's remorse on anyone, you can take advantage of an add/drop after we're done.

Old
11-13-2013, 09:54 AM
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat

DCN select:

D Bobby Connors

Connors died at age 27 when he broke his neck. Played two standout seasons for the Detroit Cougars. Will slot onto my bottom pair nicely.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:05 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
DCN select:

D Bobby Connors

Connors died at age 27 when he broke his neck. Played two standout seasons for the Detroit Cougars. Will slot onto my bottom pair nicely.
Hockey-reference has him as a LW/D on his profile and LA in each individual season.

In what way we're his seasons "standout"? He was sent to the minors following them

Certainly would be an intriguing pick if there was solid indication that he was a very good NHL player and the accident ended his NHL career, but it ended his minor league career.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:12 AM
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat

Quote:
Hockey-reference has him as a LW/D on his profile and LA in each individual season.

In what way we're his seasons "standout"? He was sent to the minors following them

Certainly would be an intriguing pick if there was solid indication that he was a very good NHL player and the accident ended his NHL career, but it ended his minor league career.
Connors was third amongst defensemen in NHL scoring in 28-29 (his sixteen points placed him three behind Eddie Shore and Hooley Smith).

Quote:
Legends of Hockey
Bobby Connors, a versatile player that was adept at playing both left wing and defense was born in Scotland on October 19th, 1904 and died at the tender age of just 26.

Connors was dealt to the Detroit Cougars for Frank Sheppard and he played a career-high 41 games that season. Connors scored 13 goals and 16 points that year. The next season he played 31 more games in Motown, but his production dropped to just 3 goals and 10 points.
I guess you're right, it's not a very big sample size. I might keep him on my scratches, just as a sentimental pick, since I found him.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:18 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Connors was third amongst defensemen in NHL scoring in 28-29 (his sixteen points placed him three behind Eddie Shore and Hooley Smith).

I guess you're right, it's not a very big sample size. I might keep him on my scratches, just as a sentimental pick, since I found him.
There's always a chance I'm wrong, but if you look at his goals vs assists that season, he certainly looks like a forward.

I will admit this; the GP played by other known defensemen on Detroit indicate someone else probably played a lot of D, and it may have been him.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:19 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Always cool to learn about guys you don't know about! Can't say I had heard of him before.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:26 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

Always nice to find out about older players and seeming them get drafted here. I rarely do it but I have a guy in mind to pick before the draft is over and I don't think he's been picked before.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Rob Scuderi

Dan Maloney, LW

Bio

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:37 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Always cool to learn about guys you don't know about! Can't say I had heard of him before.
Oh you tease!

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:42 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Scuderi View Post
Dan Maloney, LW

Bio
Great pick for a goon who can play. Sittler inflated his stats for a while but he obviously had way more talent than most fighters. My original bio included where he ranked in polls as a hitter and fighter... you should find that!

Honestly, considering he did well in that role, if he slipped out of this draft I'd have taken him early in the AA to be scoring line muscle.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:46 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Scuderi View Post
Dan Maloney, LW

Bio
Wow, a guy I never thought of before. Passed over him too many times. After reading the bio and looking at his stats I saw something that jumped out...his post-season PIMs were very low, indicating to me that he knew how important special teams were and didnt take stupid or extraneous penalties when it could cost his team during a Cup run.*My kind of guy, I'll be researching more about him and looking at him in the future.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:10 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Wow, a guy I never thought of before. Passed over him too many times. After reading the bio and looking at his stats I saw something that jumped out...his post-season PIMs were very low, indicating to me that he knew how important special teams were and didnt take stupid or extraneous penalties when it could cost his team during a Cup run.*My kind of guy, I'll be researching more about him and looking at him in the future.
Like Plett, he didn't deserve to drop like this. Both are MLD 4th liners. And you're right, Maloney didn't take that many penalties. Just 1.19 per game that went related to fighting. That's with misconducts included, since there's no way to remove them.

Old
11-13-2013, 11:11 AM
seventieslord

And actually, his stats didn't get nearly as inflated by better players as I originally said.

Old
11-13-2013, 11:23 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'll say one thing for Vigneault... he may go down in history as an innovator. More than anyone, he started the whole "play your one dimensional superstars in the offensive zone and against weaker players as often as possible and get your strongest defensive forward against the opposition's stars in the defensive zone" thing. He probably won't the Sedins each a Hart. And he had team success doing this too. Presidents trophy and a cup final. Teams will start to copy this.
Teams always tried to play their best checkers against the best opposition and their best forwards against the weakest checkers.

Vigneault's innovation was changing the emphasis away from matchups and towards zone starts. And it makes sense - prior to 2005, teams could purposely ice the puck or throw the puck into the stands to get the matchups they wanted. With those tactics abolished, getting matchups became much more difficult.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote