HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is your breaking point as a fan?

View Poll Results: How much longer before you start questioning you allegiance to the Oilers
I bleed copper and Blue 124 41.61%
1 more year 10 3.36%
2 more years 10 3.36%
I am starting to follow another team aleady 31 10.40%
Cheering for the Flames already 18 6.04%
Looking at other options 37 12.42%
I am enjoying the fan meltdown after every lose 68 22.82%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2013, 01:14 PM
SerbianEagle

vCash: 500
I started following the Oilers in 1996, became a fan during the playoffs of 1996/1997, and got attached forever to this team during the ordeal of 1997-1998 when the team just about left.

I will never stop being a fan...err, I will never stop following them and having my life circle around Oilers games.

I can't call myself a fan because I don't have seasons tickets, and you know what the official team stance is on those who own vs. those who don't.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 01:18 PM
RisingSun
Registered Potato

Why would flames/Canucks fans come on our board and choose the cheering for flames option? Closet oilers fans?

RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
FlyOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
yup, exactly this, people feel bad for me now. they don't trash talk anymore because its actually becoming not cool to make fun of the oilers. We are the like the justin bieber or miley cryus of the NHL. we are such a mess that people aren't even bothering with us. I just have no fight back. I can't trash talk anyone cus our players suck and we are in like dead last.

the team has absolutely decimated its fanbase. this city is limping, we are ashamed of our sports teams....

i didnt think the oilers would be a bigger gong show than the eskimos, yet here we are.
Exactly. I have nothing to say to anyone who tells me that the Oilers suck. I still love the team though, and always will.

FlyOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Honestly....reading these boards. It's like a wisdom tooth extraction sans anesthesia most times...not too mention the bipolarism.

I'll always bleed copper and blue, and support my team to my death, but good lord it's painful wading through these posts sometimes.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Honestly....reading these boards. It's like a wisdom tooth extraction sans anesthesia most times...not too mention the bipolarism.

I'll always bleed copper and blue, and support my team to my death, but good lord it's painful wading through these posts sometimes.

You are just the kind of fan that Katz and Lowe loves. A tier one fan that is happy just to have a team. Funny thing about pro sports. Whenever anything is done not in the best interest of the fans or the city the team is in it is a 'business decision'. All other times you are expected to be a fan and happily accept the fact that you just have a team including paying for tickets, merchandise, watching commercials on tv broadcasts.

You are correct about bipolar part however. This team and management have been sheer and utter garbage for years and years and at times people actually think they are doing something right.

In the end the negative pessimists are just as important of fans if not more than the optimists because they actually see problems for what they are and try to affect change.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
You are just the kind of fan that Katz and Lowe loves. A tier one fan that is happy just to have a team. Funny thing about pro sports. Whenever anything is done not in the best interest of the fans or the city the team is in it is a 'business decision'. All other times you are expected to be a fan and happily accept the fact that you just have a team including paying for tickets, merchandise, watching commercials on tv broadcasts.

You are correct about bipolar part however. This team and management have been sheer and utter garbage for years and years and at times people actually think they are doing something right.

In the end the negative pessimists are just as important of fans if not more than the optimists because they actually see problems for what they are and try to affect change.
Wow...did i piss in your ceral Beerfish? Nice off handed insults there. Did i once mention how much i'm just happy to have a team, or that I'd happily drink the koolaid no matter the flavour?

Nope...just mentioned that most of the posts on here are mind-numbingly painfull to read (and induce an irrational urge to bang my head on my desk). If you take offence to that and feel the need to attack me, well then...what's your self conscience trying to tell you?

Freud would be curious.....

Old
11-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Oil and Avs

vCash: 958
I feel like I have been watching more games this year than usual. Its like a bad car wreck, you just can't look away!

Oil and Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:53 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Wow...did i piss in your ceral Beerfish? Nice off handed insults there. Did i once mention how much i'm just happy to have a team, or that I'd happily drink the koolaid no matter the flavour?

Nope...just mentioned that most of the posts on here are mind-numbingly painfull to read (and induce an irrational urge to bang my head on my desk). If you take offence to that and feel the need to attack me, well then...what's your self conscience trying to tell you?

Freud would be curious.....
So when are you infact fed up with all the losing? 5 seasons? 10? Is there anything that management or the owner could do that could possibly make you question anything with this organization?

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
So when are you infact fed up with all the losing? 5 seasons? 10? Is there anything that management or the owner could do that could possibly make you question anything with this organization?
Did i say that i'm not questioning anything with this org? Of course i am! I'll still be an Oiler's fan however...even when i have to wear a bag on my head.

I won't give up on my team. Period. It's kind of like this board...it makes me lose faith in humanity and it's intelligence on a daily basis, but i keep coming back.

Old
11-13-2013, 04:55 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
The last game I watched was versus Detroit, and I probably won't be watching another this season. It's difficult to watch this team regress, after they're "break through" 23rd place finish. Until some major changes happen, I just can't bring myself to watch this train wreck. I will always be a fan, but in respect to my time and resources, I'm stepping away for now.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Oiler fans need to do yoga in their spare time.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:01 PM
AssistantCaptain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Oiler fans need to do yoga in their spare time.
We already get bent over by this organization. That's about as much yoga I can take.

AssistantCaptain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Looking at other options. I watch sports because I love dramatic tension. With a sports match, you literally have no clue what the outcome will be. Will the good guys win or lose? Who knows! And that's what makes it compelling entertainment. If I go to a movie, I know going in that Tom Cruise will win the fight in the end. There's no tension, and so it's boring.

The problem with this club is that it's getting so that I know they're going to lose. When they went ahead of the Hawks last game, I KNEW they would lose. Just knew it. Wasn't even disappointed that they did. It was just a matter of sitting through the show to the end to see how they managed it. It was a tedious grind to sit through, to be perfectly honest.

I haven't missed a game in at least 4 years, but today I am more tempted than I have ever been to do something else and just check out the final score before bed.

What a shame.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
You know you have the bloody option to just stop right?
Posts like this are so needed in a thread about "what is your breaking point as a fan"

Whats wrong with people stating what the topic is about?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:21 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
We already get bent over by this organization. That's about as much yoga I can take.
If you practice downward facing dog on your own terms, it doesn't feel as uncomfortable later.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Wait, the pessimists try to affect change?

HOW?

Oh that's right. By posting every ****ing day how bad the team is on a message board.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Wait, the pessimists try to affect change?

HOW?

Oh that's right. By posting every ****ing day how bad the team is on a message board.
At least they express their opinion on a message board in a thread where said opinion is the focal point of the thread. You have about 10K posts on a message board most of them deriding others opinions without offering any of your own.

Hows that correcting the internet going for ya?

Get out of the thread if you don't like it.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:06 PM
schutney

Does anyone else just feel sad and depressed? Not really mad at how bad at we are, but just sad?

schutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:55 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Right now, I feel sad and depressed

but there was a post in the MacT presser where it said "we're not going to be 4-16 20 games into the season next year"

but if we were, I'm probably breaking out into full Crosby.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote