HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Contract extension talks for Subban AND Diaz have started

Old
11-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Yup - this is how I see it.

But if Diaz regains the swagger he had in February he could become a good 2nd-pair Dman who's worth keeping. He's regressed.
I don't think he's regressed, he's just playing over his head. He's not a long-term second pairing guy. Even at that, he hasn't been nearly as bad as portrayed on these boards. He's effective at the type of game he plays, but he shouldn't on the the second pairing.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:01 PM
jaffy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Are we actually upset about re-signing Diaz? As far as I'm concerned he has been one of the better, more stable defensemen this season. I'd welcome him back to the team with open arms, for the right price of course.
You must be talking about the Swiss national team......

jaffy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:08 PM
la25ecoupe

Sign Diaz to a good contract then trade him next year when bigger Beaulio replaces him.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:09 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
You must be talking about the Swiss national team......
So you don't think Diaz has been playing well? He's probably having his best season in the NHL. If only he was paired with someone a little better than Bouillon on the powerplay. He's been killing penalties very well, though.

I like him a lot, and it's really encouraging to see his progress.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't think he's regressed, he's just playing over his head. He's not a long-term second pairing guy. Even at that, he hasn't been nearly as bad as portrayed on these boards. He's effective at the type of game he plays, but he shouldn't on the the second pairing.
I don't know what to make of the guy. Last season I would've fought you on that and said that, yes, Diaz is a second pairing D, Markov-lite, smart, fast, etc. But this season, aside from two or three games, he's been meh. And on occasion he HAS been outright bad. That said, it's still early and despite the melodrama on this board, I'm still optimistic that Diaz and the entire team will be better than what we've seen the past six games.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:16 PM
hockeyfan2k11

People making the same mistakes with Diaz as they did with Gorges. Neither player is top 2 pairing dman but are treated like it around here..... Diaz is decent, he's just not right for this team.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Lshap

Quote:
So you don't think Diaz has been playing well? He's probably having his best season in the NHL. If only he was paired with someone a little better than Bouillon on the powerplay. He's been killing penalties very well, though.

Was he with Emelin last season? Honestly don't remember.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:41 PM
domdo345

I did not read the whole thread so I don't know if i'm completly off-topic.

Regarding Diaz, I am not a big fan of his. But he needs to be signed given the fact of how hard/expansive it is to sign FA defensemen. Now I am pretty sure many poeple are probably saying in this thread how we should let him walk to make room for Tinordi/Beaulieu. If there's one thing I've learned from many years of following NHL is that the young players need to make room for themselves, not management. Yeah, we need the presence of Tinordi. But we need the presence of a Tinordi that pushed Murray/Bouillon/Diaz to the pressbox, like Bournival did to some vets.

As for Subban, you sign him long term or you implode the team for a total rebuild, as simple as it can be IMO.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:49 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Not a fan of Daiz, if he is re-signed IMO it's going to be hard to also re-sign Markov, and with the amount of mins Markov is playing its hard to think the team won't look to re-sign him.

It's also not going to come cheap to re-sign Diaz, the team has used him as a top 4 dmen for the past 2 years now, last year while Subban was out he played top 4mins and before getting hurt he was doing well. This year he is also playing top 4mins, playing top pk mins on a pk unit that is doing fine, him being a UFA and only 27, he knows he can get a ton of money elsewhere, just like Streit.

Hopeful Bergevin is just looking to see what his asking price is, but IMO Daiz is getting 3-3.5M on a 4 year deal somewhere.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Runner77

vCash: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
People making the same mistakes with Diaz as they did with Gorges. Neither player is top 2 pairing dman but are treated like it around here..... Diaz is decent, he's just not right for this team.
Do we really need both Diaz and Gorges? Why don't we sell off the one that is easiest to move and brings the best return? I'm guessing that would be Diaz as he won't be making Gorges' 3.9M.

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
I am also. But i feel like some people might not be ready for these numbers
Letang starts making 7.25 million a season come next year. Subban beat out Letang for the 2013 Norris. Subban is currently averaging close to a point a game. So it only makes sense that Subban will similarly get north of 7 million.

That's why I wish the Habs would just get it done. Get your key guys signed so then you know what you have left to work with when it comes to guys like Diaz.

I could live with Diaz for 3 years/3 million a year. If the term or dollar amount is any greater than that, I won't be comfortable with it. He's definitely not worth more than that. No Cup contender has Diaz in their Top 4 D, and you shouldn't be paying over 3 million a year to a bottom pairing D. And 4 years or more for specialty players like Diaz worries me. There's always a chance they turn into a Gomez or a DD.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:38 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
If we give 2-2.5m to Diaz I don't see this team becoming a contender. Diaz to Robidas is not a comparison, Robidas is much stronger and grittier. He doesn't even seem to be a great skater.

I don't want to exaggerate, cuz he's definitely NHL caliber, but if we want to contend for a Cup...
Having Gorges in a key defensive role and playing top 4 minutes at 4M will prevent us from contending a lot more than Diaz as our 3rd PMD at 2.5M/per.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
People actually think we can do without Diaz? Really?

Dude is a big part of P Kill and plays the PP. Both are at the top of the league.

People are intellectually dishonest if they think we can toss the guy aside.
Funny thing, from the games i'm watching, he seems useless at both.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
If you do not want guys like Boullion on the PP you need guys like Diaz.

Diaz isn't expendable, even if Beaulieu is ready. Boullion gets off PP, beaulieu gets on. Diaz stays.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 08:57 PM
DAChampion

Diaz has 7 points and is +3 in 19 games with limited minutes and salary, I dont get why so many hate him.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Punkeater

With Diaz in the lineup in 14-15:

Subban Gorges
Emelin Markov
Tinordi Diaz
Beaulieu

Without Diaz in the lineup: Nathan Beaulieu could be ready next season or you go with a guy like Pateryn. That would be an "ok" defensive squad.

IMO I would prefer to trade Diaz at the trade deadline and go with kids next season. Out Gionta and Bourque aswell.

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Marc-E-

I'm sure the two first years of Subban contract's will be two years of transition. Like 6.5M the first 7M the next. It will give time to sponge as the cap grow. After those two first year it will be at 8M IMO.

Marc-E- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Frankenheimer

Here's something to think about. I think the realists here have quietly accepted 8million per season for subban but what if he asks for more, say 9? He might get that much on the open market. Would you give him 9 per year?

You have to consider that weber and suter are effectively getting 9-10 per year with those long term front loaded contracts.

Last edited by Frankenheimer: 11-13-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Diaz has 7 points and is +3 in 19 games with limited minutes and salary, I dont get why so many hate him.
As with anything once he gets a real contract people will bust but right now the criticism isn't warranted whatsoever.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:24 PM
jaffy27

Quote:

He's playing safe.....in a sense where he doesn't really excel in anything. Zero physicality, loses most of his one on one battles, he's ok offensively but not going to be worth the money he's gonna command. I don't think he's the type of defenceman you win Stanley Cups with, that's all, that's why I wouldn't re-sign him

Old
11-13-2013, 09:25 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

Quote:
Just wait for the **** storm when inevitably signs for more than people were hoping for.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Just wait for the **** storm when inevitably signs for more than people were hoping for.
More than what people hope for is probably like 2M+, which he will surely get. I don't have a problem with something around 3M personally, he'd be a "deluxe" 3rd pairing defenseman. I doubt that we can keep him and Gorges though, since we have Emelin (4M), Subban (7-8M) and Markov (5-6M) that have/will have big contracts through the next 3 years +.

Diaz isn't as bad as the majority of people here claim he is imo. He's just a bad fit since his physical game is inexistent. But pair him with a physical guy on the third (hell, Murray would be perfect if he was faster) and that will be a pretty good pairing. We're not in a position to give away assets for free. We can't let him walk for nothing, like we did with Souray/Streit/Wiz/etc. Since he has more value signed, I think it's a good idea to lock him up long term and eventually trade him when we can (or keep him if we get a physical defenseman somehow).

Hope Of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 09:37 PM
jaffy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Here's something to think about. I think the realists here have quietly accepted 8million per season for subban but what if he asks for more, say 9? He might get that much on the open market. Would you give him 9 per year?

You have to consider that weber and suter are effectively getting 9-10 per year with those long term front loaded contracts.
Those contracts were signed under old CBA, front loaded contracts are a thing of the past (10million first year and 1 million in last). Subban in my opinion will sign around 7.7 to 8.0 million per for 7-8 yrs

Old
11-13-2013, 10:07 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Funny thing, from the games i'm watching, he seems useless at both.
Not like he's on the most used pairing of the 6th best PK in the league at the moment

Quote:
He's 3rd in TOI and he's been on the ice for the least amount of goals against amongst defensemen on our team up until now. He's been doing quite well all things considered.

Last edited by JAVO16: 11-13-2013 at 10:17 PM.
JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Those contracts were signed under old CBA, front loaded contracts are a thing of the past (10million first year and 1 million in last). Subban in my opinion will sign around 7.7 to 8.0 million per for 7-8 yrs
I realize that. My question is he could ask for 9 and if so what is the answer?

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote