HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The AAA 2013 Draft

Old
11-13-2013, 12:34 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Teams always tried to play their best checkers against the best opposition and their best forwards against the weakest checkers.

Vigneault's innovation was changing the emphasis away from matchups and towards zone starts. And it makes sense - prior to 2005, teams could purposely ice the puck or throw the puck into the stands to get the matchups they wanted. With those tactics abolished, getting matchups became much more difficult.
You've absolutely right that it's way more about zone stats than matchups. But matchups are still a part of it. Somehow he manages to keep Malhotra or kesler or Pahlsson against the best guys, to the Sedins' benefit, as they played relatively weak competition, aside from last year.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 01:17 PM
jkrx

Wolverines selects super pest Matthew Barnaby, RW

to make up for yesterday, we will add Larry "The Rock" Zeidel, D to the line-up.

Quote:
When the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in 1950, Larry (The Rock) Zeidel wore the Star of David around his neck. He later played for the Chicago Blackhawks and Philadelphia Flyers. Zeidel, one of the toughest players to come down the pike, helped Philly to first place in the Flyers first season, 1967-68.
Quote:
"It wasn't always easy being a Jew playing hockey," Zeidel once told me. "I learned that as a kid growing up in Montreal where I had plenty of fights to establish my toughness. This continued later in the minors and the NHL."

Zeidel is notorious for having engaged in two of the most vicious fights -- sticks and fists I'll have you know -- in the ice game's annals.

When The Rock played defense for the Edmonton Flyers -- a Red Wings farm club -- and Jack Evans played for the Rangers farm club in Saskatoon, the pair engaged in battle, swinging sticks like machetes until the wooden shafts broke. Nonplussed, the pair went at it with the broken shafts until the bloodied battlers were separated and sent to the infirmary for repairs.

Late in the 1967-68 season when Zeidel was on the Flyers, he was baited with anti-semitic slurs by members of the Boston Bruins. A stick fight with Boston's Eddie Shack followed, accompanied by more uncomplimentary barbs. Following the match, Zeidel phoned his wife, Marie, about the nerve-wracking incidents and she, in turn, phoned me.

At the time I was writing for the Toronto Star, then Canada's leading evening newspaper, and the story about the anti-Jewish baiting hit the sports page the next day. Eventually, the episode made its way to then NHL President Clarence Campbell, who once had been a judge in post-war Germany during the Nuremberg Trials of Nazi war criminals.

To his credit, Campbell wasted no time censuring the Bruins and, furthermore, issued a "White Paper" insuring that similar incidents would not happen again.

Last edited by jkrx: 11-13-2013 at 01:27 PM.
jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 01:18 PM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Yeah, all the modern guys are gone! No but really, I haven't really even been looking at the individual eras. My picks have just worked out that way.

Always nice to have a combination of different eras though.
I have too many players from the 1980-1994 era on My team, but I tried to look at each era when picking My team.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 01:26 PM
seventieslord

Thanks for drafting Barnaby! Plett and Maloney needs someone to punch.

Hey, we should figure out divisions, eh? Let's assume everyone qualifies for the playoffs at this point (if not, an add/drop can do the trick anyway)

Old
11-13-2013, 01:29 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Thanks for drafting Barnaby! Plett and Maloney needs someone to punch.

Hey, we should figure out divisions, eh? Let's assume everyone qualifies for the playoffs at this point (if not, an add/drop can do the trick anyway)
Good, they'll be in the penalty box and then they'll get beaten up by Orlando and Zeidel

Old
11-13-2013, 01:44 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Wolverines selects super pest Matthew Barnaby, RW

to make up for yesterday, we will add Larry "The Rock" Zeidel, D to the line-up.

Oh my. I lived during that period and I don't know anything about this. Incidents like this and the recent Joel Ward incident infuriates me. Trust me on this, the majority of folks in my hometown Boston do NOT tolerate this BS.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 02:01 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Good, they'll be in the penalty box and then they'll get beaten up by Orlando and Zeidel
Orlando has a shot, as he, Plett and Maloney were in the conversation for best fighter in the game top 3 for sure. But Zeidel? Was his toughness regarded that highly?

Old
11-13-2013, 02:21 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Oh my. I lived during that period and I don't know anything about this. Incidents like this and the recent Joel Ward incident infuriates me. Trust me on this, the majority of folks in my hometown Boston do NOT tolerate this BS.
This wasn't isolated to Boston as Zeidel faced this most of his career (an example would be Cherry's statement that Zeidel racked up PIMs because he wanted to win the PIM league), semi-confirmed rumours at the time were that Zeidel was traded from Detroit because Adams had a problem with him being a jew.

Old
11-13-2013, 02:25 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Orlando has a shot, as he, Plett and Maloney were in the conversation for best fighter in the game top 3 for sure. But Zeidel? Was his toughness regarded that highly?
He was a menace both with the fists and with his stick. Biggest gripe I have against Cherry is for what he I said my previous post when Zeidel basically was a big reason that Cherry could play as he did.

Old
11-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Rome selects G Niklas Backstrom and D Yevgeny Paladiev

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:02 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Rome selects G Niklas Backstrom and D Yevgeny Paladiev
Considered Backstrom big time but I've always wondered if his success was due to the Minn Wild defensive system of Lemaire's.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 03:11 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Considered Backstrom big time but I've always wondered if his success was due to the Minn Wild defensive system of Lemaire's.
I wonder too, but we're down far enough and he's done it long enough that he's good pick.

Old
11-13-2013, 03:14 PM
seventieslord

I would like to pick twice tomorrow. Who wants to give me tomorrow's pick and their last, in exchange for Friday and Saturday's picks? You move up two picks for moving me up one.

Old
11-13-2013, 03:15 PM
tony d
The Future

Backstrom is the 4th goalie I thought of picking when I went with Potvin, in fact it could have been ranked for me Potvin, Winkler/Backstrom, Backstrom/Winkler, Hrudey, undrafted.

11-13-2013, 03:15 PM
seventieslord

Does anyone other than hedberg and I ever pick Paladiev?

Old
11-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
I feel bad taking players two drafts in a row, but if it's decent value it's hard to avoid. Paladiev suffers too much from his poor Summit series. A lot of defencemen in this draft would also struggle at that level of competition and any other Soviet with his career would have already been picked.

Old
11-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Great pick for a goon who can play. Sittler inflated his stats for a while but he obviously had way more talent than most fighters. My original bio included where he ranked in polls as a hitter and fighter... you should find that!

Honestly, considering he did well in that role, if he slipped out of this draft I'd have taken him early in the AA to be scoring line muscle.
Cool I'll have to dig that up and do some combining.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 04:19 PM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Quote:
I had Him on My list ,but felt that other Russian Defensemen were ahea of Him.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:45 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Scuderi View Post
Cool I'll have to dig that up and do some combining.
Yeah, good idea. I wish everyone would find the most recent bio and just add to that. That's what I strive to do, and it's how I want my bios to be used.

Old
11-13-2013, 07:04 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Yeah, good idea. I wish everyone would find the most recent bio and just add to that. That's what I strive to do, and it's how I want my bios to be used.
Yeah I've been looking for added stuff for mine. Just have the old bios up for now in my roster page.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 10:01 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
I would like to pick twice tomorrow. Who wants to give me tomorrow's pick and their last, in exchange for Friday and Saturday's picks? You move up two picks for moving me up one.
Hedberg and I are doing this deal. I will pick twice Thursday and Monday, and not on Friday or Saturday.

Hedberg picks twice Friday and Saturday, but not on Thursday or Monday.

On Sunday it's business as usual.

Make sense?

Old
11-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Hedberg and I are doing this deal. I will pick twice Thursday and Monday, and not on Friday or Saturday.

Hedberg picks twice Friday and Saturday, but not on Thursday or Monday.

On Sunday it's business as usual.

Make sense?
Confirmed. I can't wait to see who you want so badly tomorrow.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:39 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Confirmed. I can't wait to see who you want so badly tomorrow.
Haha! Nah, it's gonna be really anticlimactic. It's more a case of me doing a bunch of research and a bio I'm fairly proud of, and therefore wanting this player to be mine. And another one stands out as the BPA in a certain way so I want him too.

I feel I've been incredibly lucky with the players that have fell to me at just the right times this draft, and how I have gotten nearly every player I wanted. I can't help but feel that luck's about to run out so before it does, better make two more picks.

And neither one of them fill the role of 2nd line RW for me. That one is still top secret.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:41 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Backstrom had an outstanding last couple of years in Finland before coming over. Won the Finnish equivalents of the Vezina and Conn Smythe in both 2003-04 and 2004-05, leading his team to the championship both seasons. 2004-05 is particularly intriguing due to all the NHL players playing in Europe due to the lockout.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Backstrom had an outstanding last couple of years in Finland before coming over. Won the Finnish equivalents of the Vezina and Conn Smythe in both 2003-04 and 2004-05, leading his team to the championship both seasons. 2004-05 is particularly intriguing due to all the NHL players playing in Europe due to the lockout.
The finnish league werent exactly filled with pro's during the lockout. There were some ofcourse but less than SEL, Germany, Russia and so on.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote