HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL 2013-2014 General Discussion - Part II

Old
11-06-2013, 02:38 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
KHL 2013-2014 General Discussion - Part II

Continue.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Hi friends to the East (and those educated with matters in the KHL)! I hope this is the right place for such a question.

I had just browsed eliteprospects for a few prospects for the 2014 NHL draft, and saw that Aaron Ekblad got drafted by a KHL team. I thought I'd take a look how many/which North American players got drafted in the last KHL draft to get a grip on how that works. I saw that especially the team that selected Ekblad in Podolsk selected a bunch of North Americans, and especially some College names I wasn't familiar with (Fortunato, Eichel, Larkin). Which seems a bit odd, to me. With Ekblad, I suppose that everyone knows about the odds of him ever playing in the KHL, but they just felt that late in the draft, there wasn't much other noteworthy talent, so just said hey, whatever, let's secure this guy's rights. But what's with the earlier selections of those College kids? Surely there was still decent talent available with good odds to play in the KHL some time.

I'm obviously not overly familiar with how the KHL draft works and what thoughts go into these selections, so I'd be grateful for any insight. Thanks in advance!

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 10:23 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Hi friends to the East (and those educated with matters in the KHL)! I hope this is the right place for such a question.

I had just browsed eliteprospects for a few prospects for the 2014 NHL draft, and saw that Aaron Ekblad got drafted by a KHL team. I thought I'd take a look how many/which North American players got drafted in the last KHL draft to get a grip on how that works. I saw that especially the team that selected Ekblad in Podolsk selected a bunch of North Americans, and especially some College names I wasn't familiar with (Fortunato, Eichel, Larkin). Which seems a bit odd, to me. With Ekblad, I suppose that everyone knows about the odds of him ever playing in the KHL, but they just felt that late in the draft, there wasn't much other noteworthy talent, so just said hey, whatever, let's secure this guy's rights. But what's with the earlier selections of those College kids? Surely there was still decent talent available with good odds to play in the KHL some time.

I'm obviously not overly familiar with how the KHL draft works and what thoughts go into these selections, so I'd be grateful for any insight. Thanks in advance!
All those names, especially Eichel are very good players. Though the only real logic behind those picks to use them on bodies that won't require any sort of compensation which would be the case if would pick a Russian kid. Also this is the reason why Dinamo Riga so easily gives away their picks or use them on local talant when they could easily land somewhat better prospects on marginal Russian youth teams.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
All those names, especially Eichel are very good players. Though the only real logic behind those picks to use them on bodies that won't require any sort of compensation which would be the case if would pick a Russian kid. Also this is the reason why Dinamo Riga so easily gives away their picks or use them on local talant when they could easily land somewhat better prospects on marginal Russian youth teams.
Oh, I didn't doubt Reichel and Co. were bad players, but with them being picked far ahead of Ekblad, I had to assume there were different factors than pure ability. The explanation with the compensation necessary for Russian kids explains it, though. Thanks!

Old
11-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post

There are several aspects to it.

1. If you think about Ekblad's chances of playing in the KHL, think again. Cam Barker, a former 3rd overall NHL draft pick is now playing in the KHL. You can't predict how a player's career will evolve. If there was a KHL and a KHL draft back in 2004 who knows, maybe Barys wouldn't be able to just sign Barker now.

2. Picking some college kids they are gambling on them to not become good enough for the NHL some day. In that case the KHL is the best option obviously at least from the money standpoint. Hard to say how many reason there is to those picks, but that brings us to the next one.

3. And now the main course. The draft has totally different importance in the KHL due to the fact that the teams are allowed to protect 5 players from their system. Most KHL powerhouses derive from a team owned hockey school where kid's are being developed from the youngest age. That's how the sytem worked since the beginning in the 40s. If you'd allow teams to draft anybody that would undermine this school system and force teams to give away prospects they invested a ton of time and money in developing for nothing. that means the draft in the KHL is by design not selecting the best available players. That leaves like Vityaz with the choice of trying to draft the best russian players still available after the best got protected or go with some crap shot foreigners while they have no real idea about whether they might come to the KHL some day. The top teams wouldn't do it just because they have their hands full protecting their prospects during the draft.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Thanks, Atas! Especially learning how that draft works without interfering with academy/junior work for the teams entirely makes it a lot clearer.

Old
11-14-2013, 10:05 AM
obskyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
2. Picking some college kids they are gambling on them to not become good enough for the NHL some day. In that case the KHL is the best option obviously at least from the money standpoint. Hard to say how many reason there is to those pick
According to their GM, Vityaz did have talks with every of those guys. So they must have some confidence in their picks, those aren't random choices of the first KHL drafts.

obskyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by obskyr View Post
According to their GM, Vityaz did have talks with every of those guys. So they must have some confidence in their picks, those aren't random choices of the first KHL drafts.
You can argue there is still litte chance the majority of the NA prospects drafted in the KHL draft will play in the KHL. Of course they ask. And what should a kid answer? You want to have a backup plan if you are considering a professional career. Why wouldn't you say you have no trouble coming to the KHL in the future. It's the same as with Russians always confirming their intention to play in NA before the NHL draft.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:40 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Anisin is trying to "pull a Zherdev" and will soon run out of potential suitors.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:31 PM
kp61c

well, in the light of recent events the game ufa vs donbass will be most interesting.
here you may see drunk and angry anisin in the ufa hospital
http://allhockey.ru/news/167503/

Last edited by kp61c: 11-16-2013 at 01:03 PM.
kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Peter25

Anisin's dad (former CCCP hockey player) should be ashamed of him.

Peter25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 05:18 PM
obskyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
First of all he let down Nazarov, who basically saved his career back in Chekhov and now brought him over to Donbass.

Terrible news. This wave of fishy NFLish stuff in the KHL is getting annoying already.

Old
11-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 187
What currency are players paid in? Does each team pay in their local currency? Which would mean Slovan is the only team that pays in Euros until Jokerit enters?

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by obskyr View Post
First of all he let down Nazarov, who basically saved his career back in Chekhov and now brought him over to Donbass.

Terrible news. This wave of fishy NFLish stuff in the KHL is getting annoying already.
not that it's a whole lot different from the NHL, what with the drugs, drinking, and craziness

but usually that's done quietly enough that it doesn't make the press, or hockey is low enough on the radar that it's not TMZ prone. Heatley and Toews wrecking their cars immediately come to mind in the 'Zherdev' mold, Ed Belfour was a drunk, Fleury prominent with the drugs, all CHL kids party like mad at the clubs, etc.

Just goes hand in hand with celebrity.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Ivan94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
What currency are players paid in? Does each team pay in their local currency? Which would mean Slovan is the only team that pays in Euros until Jokerit enters?
at 1/1/2014 Latvia joins Eurozone. Finland will be eurozone-country no. 3 in KHL

Ivan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan94 View Post
at 1/1/2014 Latvia joins Eurozone. Finland will be eurozone-country no. 3 in KHL
Yup, we're waiting for the day when chaos will ensue...
But even now I'd think Riga's players get paid in euros. Russian clubs perhaps pay in dollars, as it's been the most favourite foreign currency in Russia since forever. Maybe they are paid in roubles or lats and can choose in which currency to convert. Though if you live in Russia or Latvia you still need local currency for food, entertainment, rent etc...

But as regards Latvia yeah, less then a month and a half in future that won't be an issue anymore.

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Faterson

Congrats, it's great to have euros; I'd never want to go back. There should only be a single currency worldwide -- otherwise you're only getting fleeced with all the currency conversions, and they're so annoying and time-consuming. Waiting for the day when Kovalchuk's salary will be 2 bitcoins per month.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 02:24 PM
metmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Congrats, it's great to have euros; I'd never want to go back. There should only be a single currency worldwide -- otherwise you're only getting fleeced with all the currency conversions, and they're so annoying and time-consuming. Waiting for the day when Kovalchuk's salary will be 2 bitcoins per month.
You're really into the 'worldwide' thing eh? Worldwide league, currency, etc.. Interesting perspective.

metmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 06:11 AM
obskyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Yup, we're waiting for the day when chaos will ensue...
But even now I'd think Riga's players get paid in euros. Russian clubs perhaps pay in dollars, as it's been the most favourite foreign currency in Russia since forever. Maybe they are paid in roubles or lats and can choose in which currency to convert. Though if you live in Russia or Latvia you still need local currency for food, entertainment, rent etc...

But as regards Latvia yeah, less then a month and a half in future that won't be an issue anymore.
Salaries in the Russian clubs are paid in rubles, non-Russian clubs are free to use usd and euro at fixed rate.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by metmag View Post
You're really into the 'worldwide' thing eh? Worldwide league, currency, etc.. Interesting perspective.
There's nothing wrong with cosmopolitan attitudes, I hope. Unlike what prejudice says, one can be cosmopolitan and proud of one's own national heritage at the same time; there's no contradiction.

As to a world-wide hockey league and a world-wide currency, it's a matter of fairness and being practical. All these currency conversions undeniably are a hassle, and they are often misused for reaping profits. As to hockey, we had the Tampa Bay Lightning with Stamkos, and the New York Rangers with Gáborík playing against Slovan Bratislava here on our home ice recently, and I loved that. I'd like to see that on a regular basis, and not only in a friendly game. If there had been a world-wide hockey league, there could be (say) two trans-oceanic road trips of (say) 6 games each, per season, for every team from the American and European Conference, so that Slovan might get to play against 12 current NHL teams on our home ice every season. What's not to like about that? Why should the best players only be skating in North American arenas? Naturally, Eurasian teams must be competitive enough for such regular "American vs. Eurasian" league encounters to make sense and to be attractive for the current NHL teams and their supporters, too.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
There should only be a single currency worldwide -- otherwise you're only getting fleeced with all the currency conversions, and they're so annoying and time-consuming. Waiting for the day when Kovalchuk's salary will be 2 bitcoins per month.
Yeah I was wondering about the same thing, they could pay salaries in Bitcoins. Or KHL-coins. If the team plays well, the price of KHLcoin goes up and players receive more if exchange them to USD or EURO. If they play like Omsk, the value of coin goes down and they receive less money. That could also motivate players without the need to have bonuses.

I might try to find some IT guy and think about such a thing

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Dad's comments were quite clear while of course not openly condemning. This time he has no more no-matter-what support to spend for his head case of a son.

Old
11-20-2013, 09:38 AM
russianhockey

its very likely that the khl will increase the number of the games from 52 to 56 (from next season on).

Code:
Курбатов: Скорее всего, в следующем сезоне команды в "регулярке" сыграют 56 игр

russianhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Ivan94

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianhockey View Post
its very likely that the khl will increase the number of the games from 54 to 56 (from next season on).

Ivan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:49 AM
russianhockey

sorry

russianhockey is offline   Reply With Quote