HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov wants to stay in Montreal and wants one more contract

Old
11-14-2013, 10:12 AM
goman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The big question is:

Do we give him a NTC?
I don't see any way he doesn't get a NTC. If he's saying he wants to retire a Hab then there's no way he doesn't get one. Otherwise, he can go somewhere else and probably get more money and actually control where he goes.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:13 AM
odishabs

Ideally: 1-2 year deal for 4.5 per

Reality: 3-4 years for 5.5-6 per

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:13 AM
ChoseLa

Markov never took a discount, he was always paid fairly by the Habs.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Beendair Donedat

I'd give him a 3 year deal, 5 million for the first two years, 4 million for the final.

Gonna be an expensive blueline though-

Markov (5 million) - Subban (8 million)
Gorges (3.9 million) - Emelin (4.1 million)

Guessing here but one or two of:
Diaz (3.5 million)
Beaulieu (1 million)
Tinordi (1 million)
Murray (1.5 million)
Drewiske (just under 1 million)
Pateryn (just under 1 million)

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:15 AM
TT1

in order to maximize subbans efficiency he needs to be paired with an elite passer like markov, who do we have in our organization that can replace him?

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The big question is:

Do we give him a NTC?
Absolutely, he's earned it.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Uber Coca

I thought Markov would like to stay because he loves the city. 4M$ to 5M$ for 3 more year sounds about right.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:29 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

I've always said I wanted him to retire as a Hab. But at the same time, keeping Markov means we can't go for free agents. I have my eye on Girardi, and can see the Rangers move him if they struggle to maintain a winning record and a playoff spot. I think having Prust in our line-up would help a lot to acquire Girardi. Both were leaders of under Torts, and play a similar game and I'm sure they are good friends. Is that enough to make him accept the sur-tax situation in Quebec? not sure, but I like to think so. Another player that should be taken into consideration is Brooks Orpik, who I expect, would sign under similar terms as his current contract. We have an abundance of puck-moving defensemen, and I think we need to add physicality and toughness which Markov does not bring. If we keep Markov, we should go after Orpik and move Diaz. If we move Markov, we need to go after Girardi.

Anyway, I'd be cautious in regards to the length of the term. I'd go for 2 years, 10mil. Previously mentioned by another poster, I like the 3 years, with decreasing salary but I think that starting at 6mil is just too much. I like 5, 4.5, 3.5 for the next 3 years. Let's not forget that he was paid a huge amount of money while being injured for the most part of his contract. I hope this will be taken into consideration during negotiations.

next year d-core:
a.
Subban Gorges
Markov Emelin
Orpik Tinordi/Beaulieu
Drewiske in the AHL

b.
Subban Girardi
Gorges Emelin
Beaulieu/Tinordi Diaz
Drewiskee in the AHL

I'd be super-stoked with either of these

Last edited by attachetatuque: 11-14-2013 at 10:42 AM.
attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Saundies

Let's be real, Markov's not gonna take less than he's making now especially with the cap growing. He's stayed in Montreal this long, so I'm gonna assume he enjoys the status-quo and takes the same money he's been making. It's just the term that I think is debatable right now.

I say it's 3 years, 5.75M/per.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Subban is pretty damn effective no matter how he is used. But there's as big a dropoff between Markov and the bottom 4 as there is between Subban and Markov.
Oh how easy we forget... Subban without Markov was not even able to crack the 40 pts mark.

Now, don't get me wrong I love Subban and think he is our best player but saying he wouldn't suffer without Markov is silly.

Markov is a guy who got 64 pts in 78 games playing on a horrible team and would have become the first D ( I think) to lead the Habs in scoring if he didn't miss the last 4 games.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Not true, when the habs chose him instead of Souray he signed for much cheaper then what he would have got on the UFA market.

And I am sure he will sign for lower than what he is making now, my guess 3 years at 5M per.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
I've always said I wanted him to retire as a Hab. But at the same time, keeping Markov means we can't go for free agents. I have my eye on Girardi, and can see the Rangers move him if they struggle to maintain a winning record and a playoff spot.

Anyway, I'd be cautious in regards to the length of the term. I'd go for 2 years, 10mil.
If we can't chase free agents, you can blame Bergevin for giving Desharnais and Briere 7.5 millions dollars combined.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:39 AM
FuzzyWuzzy
I'm still alive

Quote:
I've always said I wanted him to retire as a Hab. But at the same time, keeping Markov means we can't go for free agents. I have my eye on Girardi, and can see the Rangers move him if they struggle to maintain a winning record and a playoff spot. I think having Prust in our line-up would help a lot to acquire Girardi. Both were leaders of under Torts, and play a similar game and I'm sure they are good friends. Is that enough to make him accept the sur-tax situation in Quebec? not sure, but I like to think so.

Anyway, I'd be cautious in regards to the length of the term. I'd go for 2 years, 10mil. Previously mentioned by another poster, I like the 3 years, with decreasing salary but I think that starting at 6mil is just too much. I like 5, 4.5, 3.5 for the next 3 years. Let's not forget that he was paid a huge amount of money while being injured for the most part of his contract. I hope this will be taken into consideration during negotiations.

Girardi is a downgrade from Markov though... Although there's no reason as to why we couldnt have a top4 or Subban/Markov Emelin/Girardi. There is ample cap space and most of our best forwards are on entry level contracts.

FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:41 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
he's a canadian citizen now, is he not? I'd be surprised if he bolts to the KHL.

I'd offer him his current salary for another 2 years

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:46 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If we can't chase free agents, you can blame Bergevin for giving Desharnais and Briere 7.5 millions dollars combined.
yeah for sure, that goes without saying but what is done is done, I've moved on and accepted those mistakes at this point. If things keep going this way, the possibility of buying out Deez is very real if we can't move him

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
As a UFA I'm sure he could have gotten more money than his last 2 contracts. Look at skilled d-men on the UFA market the last 7-8 years, Campbell Suter Wisniewski Wideman Garrison and a pile of others have all gotten overpaid by 1-2 mil/year on the UFA market due to demand > supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I'd give him a 3 year deal, 5 million for the first two years, 4 million for the final.

Gonna be an expensive blueline though-

Markov (5 million) - Subban (8 million)
Gorges (3.9 million) - Emelin (4.1 million)

Guessing here but one or two of:
Diaz (3.5 million)
Beaulieu (1 million)
Tinordi (1 million)
Murray (1.5 million)
Drewiske (just under 1 million)
Pateryn (just under 1 million)
I see Gorges or Diaz being moved at some point if Diaz and Markov both return. It may only be in 2015-16 once the young guys start pushing for bigger roles.

Whatever Diaz gets it has to be a tradeable contract.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I've always said I wanted him to retire as a Hab. But at the same time, keeping Markov means we can't go for free agents. I have my eye on Girardi, and can see the Rangers move him if they struggle to maintain a winning record and a playoff spot. I think having Prust in our line-up would help a lot to acquire Girardi. Both were leaders of under Torts, and play a similar game and I'm sure they are good friends. Is that enough to make him accept the sur-tax situation in Quebec? not sure, but I like to think so. Another player that should be taken into consideration is Brooks Orpik, who I expect, would sign under similar terms as his current contract. We have an abundance of puck-moving defensemen, and I think we need to add physicality and toughness which Markov does not bring. If we keep Markov, we should go after Orpik and move Diaz. If we move Markov, we need to go after Girardi.

next year d-core:
a.
Subban Gorges
Markov Emelin
Orpik Tinordi/Beaulieu
Drewiske in the AHL

b.
Subban Girardi
Gorges Emelin
Beaulieu/Tinordi Diaz
Drewiskee in the AHL

I'd be super-stoked with either of these
If Orpik hits the UFA market he'll have a much higher cap hit than 3.75...closer to 5 mil. Girardi also.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Do it Marc!

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:15 AM
HCH

So where are all the posters that said Markov was injury prone, too slow and washed up.

Of course we need to try to re-sign him. Three years would be the max and two years would be preferrable. For those who suggest a declining contract, remember that the CBA has rules about how much a contract can vary from one year to the next.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:15 AM
sventington

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I heard that the Russian Space Federation offered him $500M per year to be their official Space General. He would oversee all things Ruskie that involved rockets.

I wouldn't be surprised if Markov took the offer.
that does sound like a good deal.

Bye Markov!

sventington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:30 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Diaz and Bouillon are the priority. Sorry Markov.
And we need to extend Desharnais too. (his body I mean)

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:31 AM
burduni

While I would agree with most people that it would be nice for him to retire a hab, I'm of the opinion that Andre Markov should be traded. He should be given the opportunity to win a cup because it will not happen here in Montreal in the next few years.

Also, I believe that while he has been excellent for the habs during the regular season (More PP's than playoffs) I can't think of a year when he was dominant in the playoffs.

I truly think now is the time to get rid of him and get something substantial in return. If Kaberle got that return for Toronto I believe Markov can get a more proven prospect and 1st rounder.

burduni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:33 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by burduni View Post
While I would agree with most people that it would be nice for him to retire a hab, I'm of the opinion that Andre Markov should be traded. He should be given the opportunity to win a cup because it will not happen here in Montreal in the next few years.

Also, I believe that while he has been excellent for the habs during the regular season (More PP's than playoffs) I can't think of a year when he was dominant in the playoffs.

I truly think now is the time to get rid of him and get something substantial in return. If Kaberle got that return for Toronto I believe Markov can get a more proven prospect and 1st rounder.
What kind of return and who would replace?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Tyrus
5 ft 8 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
So where are all the posters that said Markov was injury prone, too slow and washed up.
He was for a major part of the last season, there's a context for everything.

Give him 3 years at 15M, 6/5/4.

Tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:38 AM
AmeriHab

Wish he'd take a discount just since he was out 2 years getting paid... Maybe he'll feel he owes the organization something

AmeriHab is offline   Reply With Quote