HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL TV news and discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2013, 08:32 PM
  #276
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevreelander View Post
There's no reason a United States fan wouldn't pick up with a KHL team. Not to mention hockey games that are shown nationally are becoming more and more popular in the United States. NBC Sports has one almost every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The issue still is the lack of exposure in the United States. Hockey fans know it exists but have no access to it.
I suggest you visit the NHL Ratings thread at the Business of Hockey board. There's more information on how big the local influence is on that front. There's very limited chance that US fans would care about KHL. If the AHL isn't on national tv, why would there be KHL? Come on man, you your brains.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 03:35 AM
  #277
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
If the AHL isn't on national tv, why would there be KHL?
Because the KHL is a better, higher prestige league than the AHL.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:00 AM
  #278
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Because the KHL is a better, higher prestige league than the AHL.
But North Americans don't think so/know it/care about it. They care much more about their local teams (see the NHL ratings thread). Besides the games would be on at such times when the demographic that watches hockey, is at sleep/work or in school. There's no money to be made for any sports network which already have enough programming.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:52 AM
  #279
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
I certainly think an American poster like thevreelander would be in a better position to judge that than any European poster. He indicated there was no hockey-related programming for the KHL's usual time slots which would, by the way, typically be morning hours, not night hours. A shift KHL -> Amercan TV is a lot better manageable for fans than vice versa, because NHL games start between 1 am and 4:30 am here in Central Europe. In contrast, a typical KHL game might start at 11 am Eastern, 8 am Pacific, pretty good times especially at weekends. As you may have noticed, TV channels don't go off air between 9 and 5 on weekdays; lots of people watch daytime TV, too.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:28 AM
  #280
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I certainly think an American poster like thevreelander would be in a better position to judge that than any European poster. He indicated there was no hockey-related programming for the KHL's usual time slots which would, by the way, typically be morning hours, not night hours. A shift KHL -> Amercan TV is a lot better manageable for fans than vice versa, because NHL games start between 1 am and 4:30 am here in Central Europe. In contrast, a typical KHL game might start at 11 am Eastern, 8 am Pacific, pretty good times especially at weekends. As you may have noticed, TV channels don't go off air between 9 and 5 on weekdays; lots of people watch daytime TV, too.
KHL usual time slot is a lot broader than the NHL time window. Even in Finnish time there's games that start before noon and games that start in the evening (in the same day). There's far more time zones involved than in NA. But like I said, the hockey watching crowd isn't tuned in that time of the day (hardly any sports fans are). It's not realistic. If you spend some time on the NHL ratings thread, you'd find out thevreelander's opinions are a rarity. Simple fact is, if a network thinks there's money to be made from a sport, they'll put it on. That is not the case with KHL.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:53 AM
  #281
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
KHL usual time slot is a lot broader than the NHL time window.
Even so, a big majority of KHL games start in daytime hours in North America, not nighttime. That's different compared to NHL in Europe, where every single game on weekdays starts in nighttime.

If you ask me whether, as a hockey fan, I'd rather watch a boring talk show in the AM hours, or a live hockey game from the world's 2nd best league, the answer is clear.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:59 AM
  #282
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Even so, a big majority of KHL games start in daytime hours in North America, not nighttime. That's different compared to NHL in Europe, where every single game on weekdays starts in nighttime.

If you ask me whether, as a hockey fan, I'd rather watch a boring talk show in the AM hours, or a live hockey game from the world's 2nd best league, the answer is clear.
Yes but the point is, there's no viewership that's worth the invest in that time of the day.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:38 AM
  #283
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Just an assumption on your part.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:37 PM
  #284
thevreelander
Registered User
 
thevreelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Yes but the point is, there's no viewership that's worth the invest in that time of the day.
I think the viewership is there. Even European soccer/football club support is growing. Especially the BPL because of the recent NBC Sports TV deal. With American fans it takes TV to make the league even considered legit. Hockey is growing, the KHL simply needs to cash in on it. Right now there's no way for United States hockey fans to watch the KHL legally, the exposure isn't there.

thevreelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:52 PM
  #285
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevreelander View Post
I think the viewership is there. Even European soccer/football club support is growing. Especially the BPL because of the recent NBC Sports TV deal. With American fans it takes TV to make the league even considered legit. Hockey is growing, the KHL simply needs to cash in on it. Right now there's no way for United States hockey fans to watch the KHL legally, the exposure isn't there.
We're talking completely different sports here, football is the biggest sports in the world, hockey...not so much. Besides, EPL is played mainly on the weekend. It's impossible to get viewership on a weekday for that timeslot for hockey or for anything(that isn't Olympics or World Cup).

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:04 PM
  #286
thevreelander
Registered User
 
thevreelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
We're talking completely different sports here, football is the biggest sports in the world, hockey...not so much. Besides, EPL is played mainly on the weekend. It's impossible to get viewership on a weekday for that timeslot for hockey or for anything(that isn't Olympics or World Cup)..
Americans like hockey a lot more than soccer/football. You make this sound like the TV Deal has to be a weekday (it does not, though I believe this will even work too). An 11-12 start time, is only like 2-3 hours earlier then UEFA Champion's League on weekdays (which Fox Sports is already airing). Even a Saturday 11-12 game which features big teams would work (it would compete against the BPL) but once again hockey is more popular than soccer/football will ever be in the states. The KHL will have a lot easier time becoming popular in the States than MLS, BPL, UEFA, RPL, LL and CONCACAF had. It's hockey! People will watch!

thevreelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
  #287
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevreelander View Post
Americans like hockey a lot more than soccer/football. You make this sound like the TV Deal has to be a weekday (it does not, though I believe this will even work too). An 11-12 start time, is only like 2-3 hours earlier then UEFA Champion's League on weekdays (which Fox Sports is already airing). Even a Saturday 11-12 game which features big teams would work (it would compete against the BPL) but once again hockey is more popular than soccer/football will ever be in the states. The KHL will have a lot easier time becoming popular in the States than MLS, BPL, UEFA, RPL, LL and CONCACAF had. It's hockey! People will watch!
That's because KHL doesn't seem to have many games on weekends(based on the GDT's here).

I feel like saying something but I'd like to see you suggest this on the BoH board. Be prepared to be laughed at though. Seriously, if you really think a KHL game would outdraw Man United vs Liverpool/Chelsea/ARSEnal on US tv, then I don't know what to say.


Last edited by PG Canuck: 11-15-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:44 PM
  #288
thevreelander
Registered User
 
thevreelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
That's because KHL doesn't seem to have many games on weekends(based on the GDT's here).

I feel like saying something but I'd like to see you suggest this on the BoH board. Be prepared to be laughed at though. Seriously, if you really think a KHL game would outdraw Man United vs Liverpool/Chelsea/ARSEnal on US tv, then I don't know what to say.
They could schedule those kinda games for future seasons. It doesn't need to outdraw ManU vs anyone. What I'm saying is it will have viewership even when the BPL is on, and I'm also saying the transition/acceptance of the KHL into America will be easier than soccer/football acceptance in America (which only picked up recently).


Last edited by PG Canuck: 11-15-2013 at 03:03 AM.
thevreelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 02:00 PM
  #289
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevreelander View Post
They could schedule those kinda games for future seasons. It doesn't need to outdraw ManU vs anyone. What I'm saying is it will have viewership even when the BPL is on, and I'm also saying the transition/acceptance of the KHL into America will be easier than soccer/football acceptance in America (which only picked up recently).
Wow, you've really drank the KHL koolaid, haven't you.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 02:03 PM
  #290
thevreelander
Registered User
 
thevreelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Wow, you've really drank the KHL koolaid, haven't you.
Not drank the KHL koolaid, but the expanding of the KHL is great for hockey. The NHL's dictatorship and constant lockouts could be a thing of the past if the KHL were to seriously expand.

thevreelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 08:19 AM
  #291
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,996
vCash: 500
Who is head of KHL TV after Chaykovskaya leaving it?

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 11:53 AM
  #292
ult
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,713
vCash: 500
I have no idea. I haven't heard anything about it and the quick search I did right now returned nothing.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 12:02 PM
  #293
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
I have no idea. I haven't heard anything about it and the quick search I did right now returned nothing.
thx, I googled as well and found nothing.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:13 PM
  #294
Jamesgoods
Registered User
 
Jamesgoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gemona del Friuli
Country: Italy
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
Hi guys! Just wondering to get KHL TV for next year. 100 for all the games and the archived ones! Ijust wanted to know how does it work on a computer. I use to connect the laptop to the tv. How is the definition? Is a good price for the service? Thx in advantage!

Jamesgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 03:48 PM
  #295
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgoods View Post
Hi guys! Just wondering to get KHL TV for next year. 100 for all the games and the archived ones! Ijust wanted to know how does it work on a computer. I use to connect the laptop to the tv. How is the definition? Is a good price for the service? Thx in advantage!
Hi, I was also considering purchasing. Individual games works out to around 3 or 4 USD/ game, so depending on how much hockey you plan on watching, that may not be a bad choice. You can watch the highlights as a test of quality, some of the games (next season presumably more) in HD.

The only thing stopping me from purchasing is the payment method. I am not familiar with the service companies KHL uses as I am not from Europe so I don't know/trust the security of their systems. I would feel safer if they used Paypal. I have asked on these boards about the security, no one responded so IDK.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 05:55 PM
  #296
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
The only thing stopping me from purchasing is the payment method. I am not familiar with the service companies KHL uses as I am not from Europe so I don't know/trust the security of their systems. I would feel safer if they used Paypal. I have asked on these boards about the security, no one responded so IDK.
Well, it accepts Visa/Mastercard

__________________
Алексей Черепанов навсегда в наших сердцах
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 06:23 PM
  #297
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgoods View Post
Hi guys! Just wondering to get KHL TV for next year. 100 for all the games and the archived ones! Ijust wanted to know how does it work on a computer. I use to connect the laptop to the tv. How is the definition? Is a good price for the service? Thx in advantage!

Works just fine for me...

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 07:29 PM
  #298
Vicente
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
The only thing stopping me from purchasing is the payment method. I am not familiar with the service companies KHL uses as I am not from Europe so I don't know/trust the security of their systems. I would feel safer if they used Paypal. I have asked on these boards about the security, no one responded so IDK.
Security is not the problem - I purchased single games, daily packages and other passes in the past with my visa card easily.

But its not really user friendly for foreigners as everything is written in Russian - you should be able though to do it if someone helps you with the steps in case of questions. And the money they want is also kinda high compared to my NHL package...

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.