HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov wants to stay in Montreal and wants one more contract

Old
11-14-2013, 11:43 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The big question is:

Do we give him a NTC?
hell, i'd give him a rose-colored poodles if that's what he wants

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:43 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
Wish he'd take a discount just since he was out 2 years getting paid... Maybe he'll feel he owes the organization something
It's only beer money.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:45 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I heard that the Russian Space Federation offered him $500M per year to be their official Space General. He would oversee all things Ruskie that involved rockets.

I wouldn't be surprised if Markov took the offer.
He could pioneer space hockey - played in zero g with jetpacks on an orbital rink outside the ISS. Imagine the speed of those slapshots, the puck basically wouldnt slow down!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:45 AM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I'd give him a 3 year deal, 5 million for the first two years, 4 million for the final.

Gonna be an expensive blueline though-

Markov (5 million) - Subban (8 million)
Gorges (3.9 million) - Emelin (4.1 million)

Guessing here but one or two of:
Diaz (3.5 million)
Beaulieu (1 million)
Tinordi (1 million)
Murray (1.5 million)
Drewiske (just under 1 million)
Pateryn (just under 1 million)
Sincerely, I'm absolutely not a Diaz hater, but I just don't see why he would deserve 3.5 millions a year. I mean he's not a bad defenseman, but he hasn't done anything spectacular to deserve that kind of money... he's a kinda small, non physical offensive defenseman who right now is on pace for 30 points...

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Maxpac

Screw Diaz, Beaulieu and Tinordi will both be ready next season.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
Sincerely, I'm absolutely not a Diaz hater, but I just don't see why he would deserve 3.5 millions a year. I mean he's not a bad defenseman, but he hasn't done anything spectacular to deserve that kind of money... he's a kinda small, non physical offensive defenseman who right now is on pace for 30 points...
It was just a guess, but Bergevin has over paid for everyone so far, so I didn't think the trend would stop.

I don't think he's worth that myself, I'm working on the premise Bergevin continues to over pay.

What do you think he'll be offered?

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:59 AM
CarrePrisme

Markov has made every D-man paired with him look good, even Mike Komisarek. Hopefully he stays in Mtl.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Tyson

During Markov's last contract negotiation he told Meehan that he wanted to play in Montreal and no where else and to get it done. He has always been a great member of this organization and a class act.
It would be a real shame should he not retire a Hab. While everyone raves about Subban and they should, Markov has been Montreal's best Dman this season. Any player who can chew up 25 minutes of ice time effectively playing in all situations cannot simply be allowed to walk.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Tyson

Quote:
It was just a guess, but Bergevin has over paid for everyone so far, so I didn't think the trend would stop.

I don't think he's worth that myself, I'm working on the premise Bergevin continues to over pay.

What do you think he'll be offered?
I think Markov would take a hometown discount, I really do...3 years at 4.5 would probably get it done.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
During Markov's last contract negotiation he told Meehan that he wanted to play in Montreal and no where else and to get it done. He has always been a great member of this organization and a class act.
It would be a real shame should he not retire a Hab. While everyone raves about Subban and they should, Markov has been Montreal's best Dman this season. Any player who can chew up 25 minutes of ice time effectively playing in all situations cannot simply be allowed to walk.
With all respect, a legend like Larry Robinson didn't retire in Montreal... And he has done much much more as a Hab.... That was a shame. I like Markov quite a bit, but I don't think it would be as much of a shame if he was moved.

I don't think he will, and I think he's needed for the Habs to stay competitive, but it wouldn't kill me either if he was moved.

Old
11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Maybe the Gorges overpayment set the standard, but if Subby, Marky and Diaz pull close to $8m, $6m and $4m respectively as some are suggesting they will then we're approaching $30m on D! That seems kinda high considering all the criticism of our D on these boards.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well, I think the KHL is an option for him, in the sense that if the Habs try to lowball him too much, he will take offers elsewhere both in North America and Russia. That's perfectly reasonable, you can't expect a player who is still really good to take a Douglas Murray contract.

But there's no reason to think he's expecting Subban money unless you believe in stereotypes about Russian players. It makes no sense for Markov.

Hopefully he gets one more contract.
Well sure, if he gets a lowball offer, but I don't see why he should.
This team has used him as their #1 Dmen, the guy they trust the most and in every situation, so I have a hard time understanding how they'll offer him scraps. Then again, wouldn't be the first time this management group takes decision that make little sense.
A 3year deal at 5M sounds too good to be true. It would be a perfect deal and I've seen a lot more bad deals from this management than good ones so I'm skeptical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Markov never took a discount, he was always paid fairly by the Habs.
Taking a discount doesn't mean getting an undervalued deal. Markov could have gotten more on the open market, that's why they say it was a discount. It was fair money, still, he could have gotten more.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:22 PM
burduni

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
What kind of return and who would replace?
Say the Wings wanted him to make a push. I would see them giving Smith and a 1st. That's the type of deal I would expect MB make. Also, Markov is dealt to a team that has a good chance of winning alla Toronto/Boston in Kaberle deal or Bourque Avs/Boston deal.

To me he is a great depth guy on a very good team throughout a long playoff run. I don't think he can do that for us logging those types of minutes. He just hasn't been a factor in any of the playoffs the team have been in throughout his entire career.

Give him the chance elsewhere, I think he deserves it and so does the team.

burduni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:23 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
With all respect, a legend like Larry Robinson didn't retire in Montreal... And he has done much much more as a Hab.... That was a shame. I like Markov quite a bit, but I don't think it would be as much of a shame if he was moved.

I don't think he will, and I think he's needed for the Habs to stay competitive, but it wouldn't kill me either if he was moved.
I think Markov would have fit in quite well on those 70's Habs teams and won a ton of Cups. He's much better defensively than Robinson was imo. Apples and oranges.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:30 PM
penalty shot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Was he quoted on that? Context please.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I'd like for him to retire a Hab but on the other hand would be nice to get something in return for him if we are out of the race.
trade him and get the best you can for him to a contender

why are we even considering an extension in the 3 year range when we are not winning anything ?

no issue with the player but its time to move on like it was time for Iggy to move on

moving forward , Gorges , PK , Emelin , Tinordi , Peteryn , and Nathan should be our 6 and depth fillers can be found anywhere

we need a fresh start on the backend , I have no issue if we were a legit contender with a title shot in 3 years , but we are still a middle of the pack team

turn Markov into more assets like you did Rivet

penalty shot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Quagmier

I think a good comparable to Markov is Gonchar, who just signed a two year, 5m deal in Dallas. Granted Sergei is a few years older than Andrei, but Markov seems to have more miles on him at his age than sergei does.

So i think the baseline for negotiations starts at 2 years/5m. My guess is that Markov tries to get an extra year out of his last contract, bringing his caphit down to somewhere in the 4.5-5 range.

My guess would be, if Markov and the Habs actually do want him here to end his career, that he signs a 3 year, 4.75m deal. I wouldn't be surprised with a 3yr/5m deal either.

The guy deserves to finish his career with the Habs. He's battled back from tough injuries, and was here for some really lean years where he was the only bright spot. Now that the team is trending upwards, it would be a shame to send him off somewhere else while he's still a very capable hockey player.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:32 PM
penalty shot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Maybe the Gorges overpayment set the standard, but if Subby, Marky and Diaz pull close to $8m, $6m and $4m respectively as some are suggesting they will then we're approaching $30m on D! That seems kinda high considering all the criticism of our D on these boards.
pk at 8 fine .. pay him and leave him alone

the other 2 at that money your nuts especially Diaz who is a waste and a dime a dozen

Old
11-14-2013, 12:33 PM
penalty shot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by burduni View Post
Say the Wings wanted him to make a push. I would see them giving Smith and a 1st. That's the type of deal I would expect MB make. Also, Markov is dealt to a team that has a good chance of winning alla Toronto/Boston in Kaberle deal or Bourque Avs/Boston deal.

To me he is a great depth guy on a very good team throughout a long playoff run. I don't think he can do that for us logging those types of minutes. He just hasn't been a factor in any of the playoffs the team have been in throughout his entire career.

Give him the chance elsewhere, I think he deserves it and so does the team.
your not getting Smith and a first for Markov

Old
11-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I think Markov would have fit in quite well on those 70's Habs teams and won a ton of Cups. He's much better defensively than Robinson was imo. Apples and oranges.
Much better defensively?

Give your head a shake. Robinson was one of the best ever. Markov is not, nor will he ever be. A solid hockey player, but not one of the 5 greatest defensemen of all time like the Big Bird.

Old
11-14-2013, 12:35 PM
penalty shot*

Quote:
Diaz is way overated , and should be gone , he will disappoint when it matters come playoff time if we get there

too soft and gets pushed around

Old
11-14-2013, 12:38 PM
penalty shot*

Quote:
Much better defensively?

Give your head a shake. Robinson was one of the best ever. Markov is not, nor will he ever be. A solid hockey player, but not one of the 5 greatest defensemen of all time like the Big Bird.

agreed , Larry is head and shoulders over Markov , Markov is not a great defender

Old
11-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by penalty shot View Post
trade him and get the best you can for him to a contender

why are we even considering an extension in the 3 year range when we are not winning anything ?

no issue with the player but its time to move on like it was time for Iggy to move on

moving forward , Gorges , PK , Emelin , Tinordi , Peteryn , and Nathan should be our 6 and depth fillers can be found anywhere

we need a fresh start on the backend , I have no issue if we were a legit contender with a title shot in 3 years , but we are still a middle of the pack team

turn Markov into more assets like you did Rivet
Calgary was in clear rebuild mode and moving iginla and bouwmeester made perfect sense at the time due to their lack of young nhl ready talent. the habs do not have that problem.

Also, that D looks pretty speculative when only three of the dmen you mentioned are playing consistently at the NHL level. You don't think there's room for a veteran puck moving PP QB in that rotation? Seems like there's enough physicality there that a guy like Markov would be exactly what the doctor ordered. It would give Bealieu a chance to learn how to PP a QB before being thrust into the main role.

Lastly, how can you state with such confidence that the Habs won't be a contender in the next three years? Just because they are struggling this year (as most people thought they might) doesn't mean there isn't alot of optimism for the future. Briere, Parros, Bouillon, Gionta, and Murray will all likely be off the team within the next two years. The EGG line will all be entering their prime years. Subban should likely be locked into a long term deal. Price has looked stellar so far this season. The Habs aren't Calgary, in that there is alot of young NHL level talent to be excited about here.

Basically, three years is alot of time as far as pro sports go. I'd say there's as good a chance that the habs emerge as legit contenders over the next few years as there is a chance we suck.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Not true, when the habs chose him instead of Souray he signed for much cheaper then what he would have got on the UFA market.

And I am sure he will sign for lower than what he is making now, my guess 3 years at 5M per.
I'm not so sure of that. Even a home town discount would be around 3 years 16.5 to 17.25 mil. I'm sure a guy like him can get 3 years and 19.5 to 4 years and 24 mil from a team like Detroit, Edmonton, Colorado and possibly a few more. How many legit #1 or 2 d-men have been on the UFA market the last 3-4 years...4 maybe 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If we can't chase free agents, you can blame Bergevin for giving Desharnais and Briere 7.5 millions dollars combined.
Chasing free agents brings the same type contracts fans are complaining about with Desharnais and Briere. The whole reason good players end up as UFA's as they refused a "good" offer to go for a "great" one as UFA. See Richards, Suter, Parise, Clarkson, Horton etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
So where are all the posters that said Markov was injury prone, too slow and washed up.

Of course we need to try to re-sign him. Three years would be the max and two years would be preferrable. For those who suggest a declining contract, remember that the CBA has rules about how much a contract can vary from one year to the next.
I believe you could still do a small "decline". I would offer him 4 years and 22 mil.
1st-6.75 mil 2nd-6.25 mil 3rd-5 mil 4th-4 mil...5.5 mil cap hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by burduni View Post
While I would agree with most people that it would be nice for him to retire a hab, I'm of the opinion that Andre Markov should be traded. He should be given the opportunity to win a cup because it will not happen here in Montreal in the next few years.

Also, I believe that while he has been excellent for the habs during the regular season (More PP's than playoffs) I can't think of a year when he was dominant in the playoffs.

I truly think now is the time to get rid of him and get something substantial in return. If Kaberle got that return for Toronto I believe Markov can get a more proven prospect and 1st rounder.
He wasn't dominant in the playoffs because the years he was healthy it seemed we barely snuck it and got our ***** kicked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
Wish he'd take a discount just since he was out 2 years getting paid... Maybe he'll feel he owes the organization something
It's not like he just took those years off or was on the beach drinking daquris and eating like a pig, he was reahabbing like crazy trying to get back.

Quote:
3.5 mil is a tad high, but on the UFA market I think Diaz can get 3-4 mil over 3-4 years. At 2.75 x 4 years I would sign quick and give him a 2 mil signing bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
I think Markov would take a hometown discount, I really do...3 years at 4.5 would probably get it done.
A home town discount would be closer to 5.5-5.75. As a UFA I believe he can get 6-6.5 mil/year for 2-4 years. Just look at the crazy money Wideman, Wisniewski, Ehrhoff, Suter etc got. He won't get as many years but he would cash in.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:48 PM
burduni

Quote:
Originally Posted by penalty shot View Post
your not getting Smith and a first for Markov
Obviously it would be a lot for Detroit to give up but you get the idea as to what type of trade I would want MB to make.

burduni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
I think a good comparable to Markov is Gonchar, who just signed a two year, 5m deal in Dallas. Granted Sergei is a few years older than Andrei, but Markov seems to have more miles on him at his age than sergei does.

So i think the baseline for negotiations starts at 2 years/5m. My guess is that Markov tries to get an extra year out of his last contract, bringing his caphit down to somewhere in the 4.5-5 range.

My guess would be, if Markov and the Habs actually do want him here to end his career, that he signs a 3 year, 4.75m deal. I wouldn't be surprised with a 3yr/5m deal either.

The guy deserves to finish his career with the Habs. He's battled back from tough injuries, and was here for some really lean years where he was the only bright spot. Now that the team is trending upwards, it would be a shame to send him off somewhere else while he's still a very capable hockey player.
Gonchar is not as complete a player as Markov...but not a bad starting point if you are MB.

Gonchar is not living up to his deal so far...2 assists and -6 in 18 games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote