HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov wants to stay in Montreal and wants one more contract

Old
11-14-2013, 01:09 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penalty shot View Post
pk at 8 fine .. pay him and leave him alone

the other 2 at that money your nuts especially Diaz who is a waste and a dime a dozen
I agree there are many slight defencemen whose agents try to get a paycheck by promoting their "puckmoving" skills Diaz is nothing special and not a good fit for our team. But MB is negotiating with the elfin no matter what we think. And MB seems to be an ATM when it comes to defencemen not named PK. So yeah our D is going to eat up a huge chunk of our budget. And leave my nuts out of this.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Gainesvillain

3 years/15-16 mil. Gitter done Marc.

Gainesvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I agree there are many slight defencemen whose agents try to get a paycheck by promoting their "puckmoving" skills Diaz is nothing special and not a good fit for our team. But MB is negotiating with the elfin no matter what we think. And MB seems to be an ATM when it comes to defencemen not named PK. So yeah our D is going to eat up a huge chunk of our budget. And leave my nuts out of this.
Diaz is solid in all 3 zones, with and without the puck. Breaks up plays, blocks shots, moves the puck.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
I think a good comparable to Markov is Gonchar, who just signed a two year, 5m deal in Dallas. Granted Sergei is a few years older than Andrei, but Markov seems to have more miles on him at his age than sergei does.

So i think the baseline for negotiations starts at 2 years/5m. My guess is that Markov tries to get an extra year out of his last contract, bringing his caphit down to somewhere in the 4.5-5 range.

My guess would be, if Markov and the Habs actually do want him here to end his career, that he signs a 3 year, 4.75m deal. I wouldn't be surprised with a 3yr/5m deal either.

The guy deserves to finish his career with the Habs. He's battled back from tough injuries, and was here for some really lean years where he was the only bright spot. Now that the team is trending upwards, it would be a shame to send him off somewhere else while he's still a very capable hockey player.
Gonchar is nowhere near the player Markov is at this point.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:28 PM
MsChanandlerBong
The Chan-Chan Man

2-3 year extension @ 4.5-5 mill/year is good with me.

MsChanandlerBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Gonchar is nowhere near the player Markov is at this point.
Well not this year, no. But after his season with the senators last year he seemed to have alot left in the tank. 27 points and a +4 while logging 24 minutes a night? That is very comparable to Markov's numbers last year and this year.

He's basically fallen off a cliff this year...which makes sense given his age, but that's the risk you take when signing a guy like Gonchar (or Markov).

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Shaby23

vCash: 50
It's either Montreal or KHL for Markov. There is no way Markov is going to go to an another NHL team. He's way too shy for that.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
It was just a guess, but Bergevin has over paid for everyone so far, so I didn't think the trend would stop.

I don't think he's worth that myself, I'm working on the premise Bergevin continues to over pay.

What do you think he'll be offered?
Sincerely, I don't even know what he'd be worth... Perhaps something around 2-2.5? I mean he passes kinda well, but until his shots can get to the freakin' net, which never happens even on the PP, he's not gonna be worth a lot more than that. Because I don't see his physical game improving in a near future.

Though you're right, perhaps MB will overpay for him. Certainly hope not...

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
It's either Montreal or KHL for Markov. There is no way Markov is going to go to an another NHL team. He's way too shy for that.
Being "shy" has never stopped playing from joining other teams. I'm sure fellow Russian Datsyuk would welcome AM with open arms in Detroit. Big money deals also take the shyness away...like booze!

Old
11-14-2013, 02:28 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Yes please. I want the General to retire a Hab.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Diaz is solid in all 3 zones, with and without the puck. Breaks up plays, blocks shots, moves the puck.
Diaz is soft in all three zones. Forces the play, fails to clear, loses the puck, always shots wide, etc.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Shaby23

vCash: 50
Quote:
Being "shy" has never stopped playing from joining other teams. I'm sure fellow Russian Datsyuk would welcome AM with open arms in Detroit. Big money deals also take the shyness away...like booze!
That's why he'll go in the KHL.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
In what world? God I'd like to see what others see.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Diaz is soft in all three zones. Forces the play, fails to clear, loses the puck, always shots wide, etc.
You have a strange view of reality.

The Habs PK has been on fire the last 3 weeks and he's been a big part. Must be doing a lot of things right.

Old
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I thought RDS told us all Markov is planning to bolt to the KHL at all costs, because he's a sneaky Russian who only cares about money.

Not that Tony is any more reliable a source by himself, but Markov does tend to communicate with the Anglo media more.
I'm not a marinaro apologist or fan but the dude is connected and is bang on with most of his info - especially related to markov

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
That's why he'll go in the KHL.
During the lockout no KHL team wanted him except for the league's poorest and worst. The idea that he's going to make Kovalchuk money just for being Russian isn't really based in anything but his nationality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
I'm not a marinaro apologist or fan but the dude is connected and is bang on with most of his info - especially related to markov
Right. And when it comes to Markov I trust him a lot more than I do RDS and their exclusive KHL report.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Feintastic

If he really wanna make big money then its easy to choose the KHL, I think he will stay in the NHL though.

My guess... The Habs will have to give him 6 milli per year

18 millions/3 years

or

24 millions/4 years

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I'd give him a 3 year deal, 5 million for the first two years, 4 million for the final.

Gonna be an expensive blueline though-

Markov (5 million) - Subban (8 million)
Gorges (3.9 million) - Emelin (4.1 million)

Guessing here but one or two of:
Diaz (3.5 million)
Beaulieu (1 million)
Tinordi (1 million)
Murray (1.5 million)
Drewiske (just under 1 million)
Pateryn (just under 1 million)
The only reason i'd keep Markov is to make life easier on the team for Emelin. There's a juicy 1st round pick waiting to be had, and i think Bergevin would be foolish to let it pass him by. My plan would be to trade him at the deadline or before, and then try to re-sign him next year. Markov is indeed playing great right now, but he's playing great on a team that won't win anything this year. Hopefully Bergevin has enough foresight to see that, and take advantage of it.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 03:40 PM
NewHabsEra*

2 years 12M

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
Three years at 13.5 - 15 mil should get it done. Markov should be priority right alongside Subban and Eller.

“Trust your instincts, because you’ve got great instincts” - Undertaker to Dean Ambrose
Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 03:48 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Slightly off topic but does anyone have that Photoshop of Markovs head on the body of a general? It looks like a painting

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

2 years 8 mill total.

He might be kind and take a little less.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 03:57 PM
ClasslessGuy

2x4.5

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Subban is pretty damn effective no matter how he is used. But there's as big a dropoff between Markov and the bottom 4 as there is between Subban and Markov.
This.

Subban makes Markov a lot better. On the flipside, it doesn't matter who Subban plays with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
During Markov's last contract negotiation he told Meehan that he wanted to play in Montreal and no where else and to get it done. He has always been a great member of this organization and a class act.
It would be a real shame should he not retire a Hab. While everyone raves about Subban and they should, Markov has been Montreal's best Dman this season. Any player who can chew up 25 minutes of ice time effectively playing in all situations cannot simply be allowed to walk.
If the guy absolutely wants to retire a Hab... sure. Sign him.

But I'd actually rather deal him for a younger player. I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but Markov is older and if he wasn't paired with Subban we'd see how old he really looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Yes please. I want the General to retire a Hab.
Robinson, Roy, Lafleur... none of them retired a Hab. I don't see why we have to have Markov do this. I'd rather get something for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feintastic View Post
If he really wanna make big money then its easy to choose the KHL, I think he will stay in the NHL though.

My guess... The Habs will have to give him 6 milli per year

18 millions/3 years

or

24 millions/4 years
There's no way we should do either of those deals. Way too much cash. Hell, I wouldn't want to do it for longer than two years let alone four.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 04:29 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Robinson, Roy, Lafleur... none of them retired a Hab. I don't see why we have to have Markov do this. I'd rather get something for him.
I don't know Robinson's situation. However, we know that it's not "right" that Roy and Lafleur didn't retired with the Habs. Actually, it's a travesty how both ended their stints with this club.