HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov wants to stay in Montreal and wants one more contract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2013, 04:30 PM
  #101
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
This.

Subban makes Markov a lot better. On the flipside, it doesn't matter who Subban plays with.
Well, this isn't fair. Markov was effective without Subban for much of last season until burning out. In fact, he's one of the few players on the team who have a positive corsi away from Subban, and the only defenseman.

They actually compliment each other in that they are dominant together - not that Subban wasn't even without Markov, but even more so - plus they naturally play on different sides to begin with. And Markov did probably help Subban's power play production to some degree.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 04:32 PM
  #102
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,265
vCash: 500
I remember the outrage when Gauthier signed him, I'm so "shocked" everyone wants him signed now.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 04:44 PM
  #103
penalty shot*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Diaz is solid in all 3 zones, with and without the puck. Breaks up plays, blocks shots, moves the puck.
how did he look against Ottawa in last years playoffs ?

penalty shot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 04:46 PM
  #104
penalty shot*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
The only reason i'd keep Markov is to make life easier on the team for Emelin. There's a juicy 1st round pick waiting to be had, and i think Bergevin would be foolish to let it pass him by. My plan would be to trade him at the deadline or before, and then try to re-sign him next year. Markov is indeed playing great right now, but he's playing great on a team that won't win anything this year. Hopefully Bergevin has enough foresight to see that, and take advantage of it.
don't trust MB to pull this one off , too scared

penalty shot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 04:47 PM
  #105
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penalty shot View Post
how did he look against Ottawa in last years playoffs ?
He looked pretty much how he looked in the regular season post-concussion 'recovery'.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 05:04 PM
  #106
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Diaz is solid in all 3 zones, with and without the puck. Breaks up plays, blocks shots, moves the puck.
Diaz does a lot of things right. He's smart has a great stick and wicked little wrist shot. But his downside is that he can't engage physically, can't intimidate, and so he can be rushed or pushed off the puck relatively easily. And his offensive skills are hardly elite. Overall I don't think he's a good fit on a small team especially with D like Subban Markov and Gorges in the top four.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 05:15 PM
  #107
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penalty shot View Post
how did he look against Ottawa in last years playoffs ?
Nobody on the team looked good against Ottawa, does that mean you trade or let them all walk? It's onle playoff series where they had a huge edge in nets and we finished minus 5 or 6 regulars. He's not the guy that cost us the series.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 05:17 PM
  #108
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Diaz does a lot of things right. He's smart has a great stick and wicked little wrist shot. But his downside is that he can't engage physically, can't intimidate, and so he can be rushed or pushed off the puck relatively easily. And his offensive skills are hardly elite. Overall I don't think he's a good fit on a small team especially with D like Subban Markov and Gorges in the top four.
Long term I don't see him and Gorges both here, but if the deal is reasonable you trade him in 1-2 years. I'd rather have a d-man to trade in a year than be paying 2 mil for a crap veteran UFA to be a #5-6 next year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 06:18 PM
  #109
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Long term I don't see him and Gorges both here, but if the deal is reasonable you trade him in 1-2 years. I'd rather have a d-man to trade in a year than be paying 2 mil for a crap veteran UFA to be a #5-6 next year.
I would try to find a way to lock up subban and markov before I even think about diaz.

Markov is still a very important and irreplaceable asset for the club. His play right now is the best I've seen from him since the injuries. Very encouraging sign that makes me believe he's got a few more quality years in him

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 06:19 PM
  #110
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,756
vCash: 500
If we are seriously using last year's 5 game playoff sample size for everything, shouldn't we trade everyone but Bourque?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 06:46 PM
  #111
penalty shot*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Nobody on the team looked good against Ottawa, does that mean you trade or let them all walk? It's onle playoff series where they had a huge edge in nets and we finished minus 5 or 6 regulars. He's not the guy that cost us the series.
u let him walk or trade , don't need him

penalty shot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 06:47 PM
  #112
penalty shot*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Long term I don't see him and Gorges both here, but if the deal is reasonable you trade him in 1-2 years. I'd rather have a d-man to trade in a year than be paying 2 mil for a crap veteran UFA to be a #5-6 next year.
my 5-6 guys are in Hamilton , don't need to spend 2 mil on more Cube types

penalty shot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 06:48 PM
  #113
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penalty shot View Post
u let him walk or trade , don't need him
sure, who wouldnt love to see Bouillon play 25 minutes a game huh

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 06:52 PM
  #114
penalty shot*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If we are seriously using last year's 5 game playoff sample size for everything, shouldn't we trade everyone but Bourque?
not at all , nothing to with sample size

its finding the right mix

Markov, Diaz , Gorges , Cube all cant be in your top 6 and win anything

all struggle in their own end , and it will be the same as last year

we aren't built for the playoffs on the backend and in general we cant win 4 rounds of war with this lineup

penalty shot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:23 PM
  #115
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I don't know Robinson's situation. However, we know that it's not "right" that Roy and Lafleur didn't retired with the Habs. Actually, it's a travesty how both ended their stints with this club.
I don't disagree.

That being said, Markov is nowhere near the class of player that these guys were and if it makes our team better to deal him we should do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well, this isn't fair. Markov was effective without Subban for much of last season until burning out. In fact, he's one of the few players on the team who have a positive corsi away from Subban, and the only defenseman.

They actually compliment each other in that they are dominant together - not that Subban wasn't even without Markov, but even more so - plus they naturally play on different sides to begin with. And Markov did probably help Subban's power play production to some degree.
I didn't say he wasn't effective. But I am saying that Markov is not Subban. Its very clear who the better blueliner is.

And there's no shame in not being as good as Subban. Markov is still a good blueliner and still lethal on the PP. He's had a good year. I'd say he dukes it out with Gallagher for 3rd this season in terms of effectiveness behind Price and Subban who duke it out for first.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:37 PM
  #116
Rock On
Registered User
 
Rock On's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Saint-Jean
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
If it's true, that's good news. I'm sure MB will renew him. The thing is if he really wajt 1 last contract it have to be a 4 to 6 years deal. I wouldn't be surprised with a 25M$ for 5 years type of deal.

I can live with that.

Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:39 PM
  #117
Habsoil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort mac
Country: Canada
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I remember the outrage when Gauthier signed him, I'm so "shocked" everyone wants him signed now.
I love the guy but i sure hope MB is shopping him.
Trade him while his value is high!
Just business

Habsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:46 PM
  #118
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
I love the guy but i sure hope MB is shopping him.
Trade him while his value is high!
Just business
And then complain, we need a puck moving dman who is good on the PP...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:49 PM
  #119
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Markov is at the stage in his career where, if he truly wants to stay in Montreal, he needs to sign one year at a time. Heck, what's good for Niklas Lidstrom should be good for Markov!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:49 PM
  #120
Shaby23
Registered User
 
Shaby23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,191
vCash: 500
I'm afraid Markov is going to ask for 4years. I'm not even sure if i would accept 3years.

Shaby23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:52 PM
  #121
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
I love the guy but i sure hope MB is shopping him.
Trade him while his value is high!
Just business
trading a guy playing on your first pair while you're still in it for the playoffs ?

you sure are no businessman...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:57 PM
  #122
Le CH
Registered User
 
Le CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I remember the outrage when Gauthier signed him, I'm so "shocked" everyone wants him signed now.
So true LOL... 2 years @ $5M/per.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:58 PM
  #123
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity
 
Canadiens Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Smurfland
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
I'm afraid Markov is going to ask for 4years. I'm not even sure if i would accept 3years.
If Markov really wants only one more contract, I'm thinking he'll be wanting a 4 or even 5 years contract... so be very afraid.

Canadiens Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:26 PM
  #124
Tyson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 3,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Ghost View Post
If Markov really wants only one more contract, I'm thinking he'll be wanting a 4 or even 5 years contract... so be very afraid.
Then he needs to move on. At his age a three year deal would be great

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:29 PM
  #125
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
I'm afraid Markov is going to ask for 4years. I'm not even sure if i would accept 3years.
Yup. Brace for something stupid like 4 years for 20 mil or something like that... that way if it happens at least you're prepared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I remember the outrage when Gauthier signed him, I'm so "shocked" everyone wants him signed now.
Oh good, the Gauthier propaganda machine is here.

Markov should've been traded long ago as part of a rebuild. If we'd done it then we'd have players at the start of their careers now instead of the end.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.