HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nylander

Old
12-22-2006, 09:12 AM
King Rat

vCash: 500
Nylander

How do you miss 3 games with the "Flu" - what's up with that????? Is there something I missed? I've searched around and little is being said about this mysterious killer flu that knocking guys like Nylander out for a week +.

King Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Chimp

He had a stomach flu, yes, but according to some doctor report I read in the Florida GDT said it spread up to become a nasty ear infection as well.

So, flu + ear infection it is. We all hope he'll be back soon, the entire first line is crap without him. I hope this'll make the "it's all Jagr" fans understand how important Straka and Nylander are for Jagr as well. It's a symbiosis.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:16 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I read that the flu had also lead to an ear infection and that he was visiting a doctor for it. But you can't really be affective if you're sick with the flu. The team does miss him though, so I hope he's back soon.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Hopefully he and Henke will be back tomorrow for Tampa I hope that this is the last of Ranger players to get this "flu".

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Oddly enough I go to Yahoo and this is on the homepage :http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061222/...lu_forecast_dc

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

You can really see how much Nylander means to this team, theres a whole dynamic of puck possesion missing from the rangers. Their powerplay is weakened significantly and it alters the rest of the centerman (Ward, on the 1st line?!?!??!!) cmon.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
He had a stomach flu, yes, but according to some doctor report I read in the Florida GDT said it spread up to become a nasty ear infection as well.

So, flu + ear infection it is. We all hope he'll be back soon, the entire first line is crap without him. I hope this'll make the "it's all Jagr" fans understand how important Straka and Nylander are for Jagr as well. It's a symbiosis.
It also should be mentioned that if you have an ear infection, you really can't fly.

12-22-2006, 11:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Nylander has six kids who carry and contract all types of germs from the other kids

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:21 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Nylander has six kids who carry and contract all types of germs from the other kids
I am betting that the latest addition to the Nylander family is not bringing anything home - yet. But 5 is enuff to bring home all kinds of stuff.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

last year i got a really really bad stomach virus, i was basically unable to leave my bathroom or bed for 13 days. it was awful.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Edge

Well essentially you now have a team that now doesn't have a first OR second line center.

My guess is that he is out not because of the Flu but because of the ear infection, which as MJ stated , prevents you from flying.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Fletch

Nylander means a lot...

when your coach thinks that Jason Ward is the best center option and plays him 13 minutes at even strength (fourth liner who can't win a faceoff). Great, he scored a goal, but he's wildly out of place on a line that generated little otherwise, and that is supposed to dominate each shift.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:47 PM
SickNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
You can really see how much Nylander means to this team, theres a whole dynamic of puck possesion missing from the rangers. Their powerplay is weakened significantly and it alters the rest of the centerman (Ward, on the 1st line?!?!??!!) cmon.
Well said. I think Nylander is underappreciated because of his tendancies to overpass rather than shoot, carry the puck too long, and take bad penalties (mostly last year). But Jagr does look like he misses him...

I also think this is exasterbated by the fact the team has no legitamte 2nd line center to fill in. Throw in the fact that Jason Ward is replacing him (as opposed to sliding Straka into the first line C spot), and his hole is a gaping one.

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Fletch

I don't think Nylander is 'underappreciated'..

I think that the lack of offense gets accentuated when you both have no depth or a coach who wants to put together sensible lines. Further, it is painfully obvious that in the last few games, Jagr is not 100% and Shanahan is tired (perhaps due to all the minutes he's amassed thus far). Again, is Jason Ward the only guy Renney can find to replace Nylander's minutes?

EDIT: just read my post, it doesn't make sense given the title of my thread. Sorry, only getting a couple hours of sleep a night and the brain's only at 20%, and 20% of little is very little.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:06 PM
SickNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think that the lack of offense gets accentuated when you both have no depth or a coach who wants to put together sensible lines. Further, it is painfully obvious that in the last few games, Jagr is not 100% and Shanahan is tired (perhaps due to all the minutes he's amassed thus far). Again, is Jason Ward the only guy Renney can find to replace Nylander's minutes?

EDIT: just read my post, it doesn't make sense given the title of my thread. Sorry, only getting a couple hours of sleep a night and the brain's only at 20%, and 20% of little is very little.
Perhaps underappreciated isn't the right word, but I don't know how else to describe the situation considering, like you said, Jason Ward is the best optiotn to replace him?

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Edge

I don't know if it's really underappreciated per say, maybe so much as his importance is magnified with the current center situation.

Even if Nylander is really even just a very good second line center who happens to click with one of the best players in hockey, he's still the only legit top two line center we've got.

Jagr doesn't look 100% but he's also playing with Jason Ward.

All of this goes back to the belief that Jagr, Shanahan and others were getting WAAAY too much ice time and that it was going to catch up sooner or later. Well for all the delays, the depth problem seems to finally be catching up because now Renney HAS to go with his lesser guys.

Old
12-22-2006, 04:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I don't know if it's really underappreciated per say, maybe so much as his importance is magnified with the current center situation.

Even if Nylander is really even just a very good second line center who happens to click with one of the best players in hockey, he's still the only legit top two line center we've got.

Jagr doesn't look 100% but he's also playing with Jason Ward.

All of this goes back to the belief that Jagr, Shanahan and others were getting WAAAY too much ice time and that it was going to catch up sooner or later. Well for all the delays, the depth problem seems to finally be catching up because now Renney HAS to go with his lesser guys.
I think Fletch said it best (i think it was Fletch?)- Renney plays "not to lose"...

Thats why you see "responsible" forwards like Ward playing on the first line, instead of stacking a Shanny-Straka-Jagr line.

I think Renney is too concerned with matchups and playing to the other team, when he should just let the other team come to him, especially when you have a few world class players on the team. To me, that sends a message to your team saying "well, we are undermaned, so lets just do what we can here...." - instead of ... "Were stacking the top lines tonight, lets go kill those *******s..."

I indicated in the GDT the lines i (an mostly everyone else) thought he would go with. He screwed with the second line, after sticking with it during the whole 5 game winning streak. He could have had that intact, while leaving Straka with Jagr. JAgr had no support last night and was lucky to grab that point.

You need a guy who can recover the puck in the corners (straka) and also FLY back into the defensive zone and cover up when Jagr gives it away (as he always does) and actually possess the puck, make a move and come back the other way (Straka) - Ward cant do any of that. He is no way shape or form belongs on the first line, im sorry. and i like Ward.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 04:24 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
The problem you have with stomach viruses, like chim said, are ear infections. All too often, they cause labyrinthitis (severe vertigo). Worst-case scenario (IF Nylander has this) could be about 2-4 weeks or more of no play.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think Fletch said it best (i think it was Fletch?)- Renney plays "not to lose"...

Thats why you see "responsible" forwards like Ward playing on the first line, instead of stacking a Shanny-Straka-Jagr line.

I think Renney is too concerned with matchups and playing to the other team, when he should just let the other team come to him, especially when you have a few world class players on the team. To me, that sends a message to your team saying "well, we are undermaned, so lets just do what we can here...." - instead of ... "Were stacking the top lines tonight, lets go kill those *******s..."

I indicated in the GDT the lines i (an mostly everyone else) thought he would go with. He screwed with the second line, after sticking with it during the whole 5 game winning streak. He could have had that intact, while leaving Straka with Jagr. JAgr had no support last night and was lucky to grab that point.

You need a guy who can recover the puck in the corners (straka) and also FLY back into the defensive zone and cover up when Jagr gives it away (as he always does) and actually possess the puck, make a move and come back the other way (Straka) - Ward cant do any of that. He is no way shape or form belongs on the first line, im sorry. and i like Ward.

More and more Renney strikes me as an ideal assistant coach, a guy who works with players and can be a solid judge of talent but isn't necessarily the head coach type.

That's not to say he's inept, but I just don't know about him sometimes.