HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread - LXXI - Everyone is better than us... except the Oilers!

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2013, 08:08 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Really don't see how anybody can defend that hit.
I can see some people maybe defending that hit somewhat but how some Leaf fans can defend the hit on Backstrom and say it was unintentional and an accident is mind boggling.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Kadri hit on Granlund.

Quote:
Really don't see how anybody can defend that hit.
Man, the only thing I see wrong there is Granlund staring at his feet while trying to do something at the blueline.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
He's hunched over with his head down. Sure, I agree. Kadri is still coming in, with a full head of steam, and he knows Granlund has his head down. To deliver a hit like that, it's disgusting.

Kadri is a puke.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
11-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
It's a 2 minute boarding penalty for me - defenseless (ya he did it to himself, that's fine) and violently hit into the boards. Doesn't have to be facing the boards or sideways for it to be boarding despite common belief

Old
11-14-2013, 08:13 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Man, the only thing I see wrong there is Granlund staring at his feet while trying to do something at the blueline.
Granlund was staring at his feet for roughly 2 minutes at that point. It was obvious. He didn't change his stance at the last second. Kadri was looking right at him and hit him in the head. He doesn't try to alter his course to get him in the shoulder, and he still follows through with his arms.That's open and shut. Someone being vulnerable doesn't give you carte blanche to put him in the hospital.

The hit itself was borderline intent to injure. Were I a ref, I give him intent to injure considering his antics earlier in the game.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Halak was pretty bad on that one, at least it's Mackinnon who scored.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Et le But

You're off the case Bobrovsky.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Wow the Jackets have been brutal in this game. Anything else but a win tomorrow would anger me.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Granlund was staring at his feet for roughly 2 minutes at that point. It was obvious. He didn't change his stance at the last second. Kadri was looking right at him and hit him in the head. He doesn't try to alter his course to get him in the shoulder, and he still follows through with his arms.That's open and shut. Someone being vulnerable doesn't give you carte blanche to put him in the hospital.

The hit itself was borderline intent to injure. Were I a ref, I give him intent to injure considering his antics earlier in the game.
Kadri goes in with his hands initially tucked and actually lower than the crest on his jersey, and pushes straight through the 3" smaller Granlund's chest. If he had attempted to go shoulder to shoulder, it would have been shoulder to head, and THEN what do we see and what are we saying? I don't care if the push made him hit his head on the glass, or if the follow through of the hands was a bit high (if a ref wanted to be strict just a decade ago, that would have been called 2 mins for roughing for high hands), that's why you don't stand still at the blueline for longer than a Mississippi staring at a puck in your feet without doing something to make yourself less vulnerable - if you're committed to playing the puck, of course.

Every hit is "borderline attempt to injure", as is every slash, and certainly every fight. I don't subscribe to the same bleeding heart, players should be bubble-wrapped philosophy some of you seem to share.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:33 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
It's the definition of a predatory hit. There is intent to injure IMO.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Alexdaman

Well it seems that Boston after that goal just decided to blatantly stop playing good until the rest of period.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Et le But

Filppula is so underrated.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
It's the definition of a predatory hit. There is intent to injure IMO.
To me you can't have "predatory" without a hit from someone that a player had no chance to see - i.e. "blindside" hits or hits from behind. Every hit has "intent to injure", and I can't help but chuckle when I see actual attempts to argue otherwise. Granlund had plenty of chance to see Kadri coming, if he just took a look once instead of standing still fumbling the puck so long with his head down at the blueline. His back was pretty much parallel to the boards, with the entire ice in front of him. Never used to have to be a professional to have trolley track alarm bells going off there, but reverse Darwinism is in full effect in the NHL it would seem.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Habsawce

Is there anyone here that can explain to me how the Gionta and Reimer incident is anywhere remotely similar to the Kadri and Backstrom hit? I honestly try to see it and understand all the outrage but I just can't figure it out, the only thing similar is a player hitting a goaltender but they're nothing alike.

There has to be a rationale explanation for this, because all the posts I've read about people complaining cannot put forth a decent reasoning.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:56 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Leafs fans are actually trying to compare the Gionta incident with the Kadri one? What the hell?

Old
11-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Is there anyone here that can explain to me how the Gionta and Reimer incident is anywhere remotely similar to the Kadri and Backstrom hit? I honestly try to see it and understand all the outrage but I just can't figure it out, the only thing similar is a player hitting a goaltender but they're nothing alike.

There has to be a rationale explanation for this, because all the posts I've read about people complaining cannot put forth a decent reasoning.
There is no explaining or understanding. Can't believe Dreger's promoting that BS.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:00 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
To me you can't have "predatory" without a hit from someone that a player had no chance to see - i.e. "blindside" hits or hits from behind. Every hit has "intent to injure", and I can't help but chuckle when I see actual attempts to argue otherwise. Granlund had plenty of chance to see Kadri coming, if he just took a look once instead of standing still fumbling the puck so long with his head down at the blueline. His back was pretty much parallel to the boards, with the entire ice in front of him. Never used to have to be a professional to have trolley track alarm bells going off there, but reverse Darwinism is in full effect in the NHL it would seem.
Granlund was standing still i that position, Kadri saw him in that position the whole time, he knew he would make contact to the head if he hit but he decide to hit him anyway, and he even does a "follow trough", IT IS an attempt to injure.

seems way easier to find excuses for the hitter than the one getting hit...

Old
11-14-2013, 09:01 PM
sheed36

Quote:

The only thing remotely similar about the hits is the end result with both goalies ending up with concussions. The few Leaf fans trying to compare both hits saying they're identical are out to lunch and clueless.

I should also add that it doesn't help matters when you have morons like Jeff O'Neill defending Kadri on TSN's "That's Hockey" saying Backstrom made no effort to avoid the hit either. WTH was Backstrom suppose to do?

Old
11-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Alexdaman

I feel bad for Columbus, they should be up 5-2 by now.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
The only thing remotely similar about the hits is the end result with both goalies ending up with concussions. The few Leaf fans trying to compare both hits saying they're identical are out to lunch and clueless.

I should also add that it doesn't help matters when you have morons like Jeff O'Neill defending Kadri on TSN's "That's Hockey" saying Backstrom made no effort to avoid the hit either. WTH was Backstrom suppose to do?
A lot of people in T.O know nothing about hockey, but still jump on the bandwagon and the forums.

Here too but the language barrier on HF and a smaller population makes somewhat of a filter.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Kenny Powders

freaking Steen again

Old
11-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Old
11-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
A lot of people in T.O know nothing about hockey, but still jump on the bandwagon and the forums.

Here too but the language barrier on HF and a smaller population makes somewhat of a filter.
I got attacked in that thread because I mentioned that the Kadri on Granlund hit could be viewed as boarding. I was told I was arrogant, I didn't play hockey and I have no knowledge of the sport. Then Bob McKenzie went on TSN and said it could be viewed as boarding or charging and no one said anything. I think it's unfair to say people there don't know anything about hockey, just like it was unfair for those comments against me.

Either way, I have come to think that the people comparing the hits are doing it out of emotion and not reasoning. I understand that, but I think enough time has passed for it to be let go and rationale to overcome emotion.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
I got attacked in that thread because I mentioned that the Kadri on Granlund hit could be viewed as boarding. I was told I was arrogant, I didn't play hockey and I have no knowledge of the sport. Then Bob McKenzie went on TSN and said it could be viewed as boarding or charging and no one said anything. I think it's unfair to say people there don't know anything about hockey, just like it was unfair for those comments against me.

Either way, I have come to think that the people comparing the hits are doing it out of emotion and not reasoning. I understand that, but I think enough time has passed for it to be let go and rationale to overcome emotion.
the main board is a cesspool

Old
11-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Please, not every hit is an attempt to injure. We're talking real injuries, like commotion.

Kadri could have easily hit Granlund "horizontally" but watch the replay, he actually launches his body upward to cause more damage and hit Granlund as high as possible. Players usually don't hit like that. If tell me you really don't see that Kadri is trying his best to hit as high as possible, you're clearly blind.

Kadri had no intention to hit the player to separate him from the puck, the puck was right there but he saw a guy with his head down and try to hurt him with a high hit. It's not the first time he does this, in the "your most hated players thread" on the main board, I said Kadri because he likes to hit high on players with their head down and I said that BEFORE the Leafs and Wilds game. So this is no accident. The guy has no code, he actually hits to injure and thrive on that because it's gives him the look of a guy that throws big hits. It's not because a guy has a head down means you have to take opportunity on that to hit his head/or as high as possible.

For me, Kadri could have hit Granlund "normally" but he chose to cause more damage by launching his body upward to hit Granlund near the head area. If the NHL really have want to protect their products and prevent concussion, this hit should be suspended since it's avoidable(high hit) and Kadri aim high.

Imagine it was Crosby or Briere, each concussion is like a strike, at one point, a dirtbag who rather hit high when he clearly can hit low, will end/shorten a career just because the league let those hit happen.

Closed Thread