HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2013, 11:46 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
How did Wall get a max contract?
He's arguably a top-5 PG.

I don't think his contract is nearly as bad as its made out to be. The team built around him has been pretty terrible and the coaching is bad. Replace Wittman with a competent coach and it instantly adds 8-10 wins.

Old
11-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
He's arguably a top-5 PG.

I don't think his contract is nearly as bad as its made out to be. The team built around him has been pretty terrible and the coaching is bad. Replace Wittman with a competent coach and it instantly adds 8-10 wins.
He's not a top 5 PG. He still struggles to make wide open jump shots, his decision making in half court sets are awful, and people still blow by him on defense.

I agree with the Wittman sentiment, but that won't change with Ernie at the helm.

Old
11-14-2013, 10:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
He's not a top 5 PG. He still struggles to make wide open jump shots, his decision making in half court sets are awful, and people still blow by him on defense.

I agree with the Wittman sentiment, but that won't change with Ernie at the helm.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...n/pg/year/2013

You underestimate his level with regard to point guards in the NBA.

Who below him on the list would you put above him? Williams maybe?

A modest improvement in his shooting, and he's comfortably top 5.

I also think you're overselling the bad decision making and defense. The decision making has A LOT to do with coaching, scheme, and off-ball movement of his teammates, and the defensive metrics are pretty good:

http://www.hoopdata.com/defrebstats....3&gp=0&mins=30 - 7th among PGs in defensive plays (blocks + steals + charges drawn)

His upside (which he's relatively close to) is a bigger, more athletic Rajon Rondo. Rondo, despite his shooting woes, led a team to a title. Wall could certainly do the same with the right coaching and support. His contract is among the least of the team's worries.

Old
11-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Capitlols

I'd take Rose, Rondo, and arguably Williams over him.

Agree the decision-making can be a product of the scheme. He needs to be in an uptempo system that doesn't require many half court sets, which he is ineffective at.

He has highlight reel blocks, but he's hardly a consistent defensive player.

I don't deny his upside, even though a more athletic Rondo is a bit lofty. I question what he's done to earn a max contract. Too many injuries and too inconsistent to warrant that deal. I would have been comfortable trading him for the right return. As far as I'm concerned, Beal is developing into the franchise player.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Had to pay Wall, he would def get a max deal on the open market.

Tank Watch!
Wiz drop another in OT falling to 2-7 tied for worst in the east

Take on Minnesota Timberwolves tuesday taking on Kevin Love and ernies gift Rubio. looks like another L

Old
11-17-2013, 09:19 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Wiggins, Randle, or Parker?

Old
11-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsANDCaps View Post
Wiggins, Randle, or Parker?
im just hoping we dont end up with 4th pick

Old
11-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Weather in Chicago is looking bad

Go Ravens!!!

Old
11-20-2013, 10:35 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Wizards were out scored by 19 in 22 minutes with Jan Vesely on the floor tonight.

Old
11-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Capitlols

Vesely was actually pretty good, they almost blew a 27 point lead by having quick offensive positions/turnovers.

Old
11-21-2013, 08:28 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...n/pg/year/2013

You underestimate his level with regard to point guards in the NBA.

Who below him on the list would you put above him? Williams maybe?

A modest improvement in his shooting, and he's comfortably top 5.

I also think you're overselling the bad decision making and defense. The decision making has A LOT to do with coaching, scheme, and off-ball movement of his teammates, and the defensive metrics are pretty good:

http://www.hoopdata.com/defrebstats....3&gp=0&mins=30 - 7th among PGs in defensive plays (blocks + steals + charges drawn)

His upside (which he's relatively close to) is a bigger, more athletic Rajon Rondo. Rondo, despite his shooting woes, led a team to a title. Wall could certainly do the same with the right coaching and support. His contract is among the least of the team's worries.
Rose, definitely.
Rondo, probably.

Also, he's not even close to passing any of those 5 players ahead of him. That means there's absolutely no way he's above 7, and I'd put him at 8th on his best day.

Also, rough start to this season (with his best supporting cast to date): http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli.../_/position/pg

Old
11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Quote:
Vesely was actually pretty good, they almost blew a 27 point lead by having quick offensive positions/turnovers.
Watching Wizards games depresses me, I can only handle the box scores. And I'm also always checking on Anthony Bennett which is my favorite story in sports right now. If he gets through the season shooting under 25%, that's an unbreakable record for a #1.

Old
11-22-2013, 08:21 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Outscored 30-18 in the 4th quarter to lose by 8.

The Wizards are so bad.

Old
11-24-2013, 07:57 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 900
How about Maryland football, tried to ice the kicker, but the dumbass head coach waited until the last possible moment to call timeout.

By doing so, allowed the BC kicker to get a practice kick on a 52 yarder on a windy day. He missed. Of course, he adjusted and nailed the game winner.

It was awesome to see a blocked XP lead to a rare 2 pt conversion.

Old
11-24-2013, 11:27 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
How about Maryland football, tried to ice the kicker, but the dumbass head coach waited until the last possible moment to call timeout.

By doing so, allowed the BC kicker to get a practice kick on a 52 yarder on a windy day. He missed. Of course, he adjusted and nailed the game winner.

It was awesome to see a blocked XP lead to a rare 2 pt conversion.
LOL. That was an abomination.

Old
11-26-2013, 12:13 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

How about the terrible John Wall winning Eastern Conference Player of the Week? His stats are quickly climbing the PG ranks. Last I checked, he was 8th in PER.

In positive (assuming it's nothing long-term) tank news, Beal is out for at least 2 weeks. With the Wizards training staff, that likely translates to a month+. I guess that's what happens when you give your second year player the most minutes in the NBA.

Old
11-26-2013, 12:49 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
How about the terrible John Wall winning Eastern Conference Player of the Week? His stats are quickly climbing the PG ranks. Last I checked, he was 8th in PER.

In positive (assuming it's nothing long-term) tank news, Beal is out for at least 2 weeks. With the Wizards training staff, that likely translates to a month+. I guess that's what happens when you give your second year player the most minutes in the NBA.
DC sports cannot catch a break. Porter and Ariza back to practice, Beal is out. Although we mostly do it to ourselves. Why in the world are you playing Beal 40+ minutes a game when he ended his season injured and missed the USA work-outs due to... wait for it... stress injuries.

We're one Ovechkin injury away from a complete dumpster fire in DC.

Old
11-26-2013, 01:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsANDCaps View Post
DC sports cannot catch a break. Porter and Ariza back to practice, Beal is out. Although we mostly do it to ourselves. Why in the world are you playing Beal 40+ minutes a game when he ended his season injured and missed the USA work-outs due to... wait for it... stress injuries.

We're one Ovechkin injury away from a complete dumpster fire in DC.
Nagging shin splints (or something like that) would be the best thing to happen to that franchise. The Wizards would be starting Eric Maynor or Garret Temple at the 2 most likely. They'll suck it up in the year they were supposed to turn it around. Ideally, that leads to an EG firing and a high draft pick in this stacked draft.

Old
11-26-2013, 06:46 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Nagging shin splints (or something like that) would be the best thing to happen to that franchise. The Wizards would be starting Eric Maynor or Garret Temple at the 2 most likely. They'll suck it up in the year they were supposed to turn it around. Ideally, that leads to an EG firing and a high draft pick in this stacked draft.
That Ted guy though.

Old
11-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

that moment the wizards are the best DC team

Old
11-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Wizards will make the playoffs. You need to realize that. They are a decent team.

Old
11-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Capitlols

Wall still has one of the ugliest jump shots in the league, he looks like he's shooting on the way down.

Old
11-29-2013, 10:33 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Wizards will make the playoffs. You need to realize that. They are a decent team.
Not if the injury bug hits.

If healthy all year, yeah, they'll make the playoffs as a low seed. The upside of this group is to maybe nab a series win in the playoffs. No depth, no elite talent beyond Wall and Beal, and overpaid complementary players.

Old
12-02-2013, 02:24 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Here's an almost unbelievable stat:

John Wall is one of only five players in history to average at least 16 points, 8 assists and 4 rebounds through the first 200 games of his pro career ... joining Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, Damon Stoudamire and Chris Paul.

Seriously, I am having a hard time believing the list is that short.

Old
12-02-2013, 02:43 PM
kmdoom

Quote:
Not if the injury bug hits.

If healthy all year, yeah, they'll make the playoffs as a low seed. The upside of this group is to maybe nab a series win in the playoffs. No depth, no elite talent beyond Wall and Beal, and overpaid complementary players.
Maybe its my rose colored glasses but honestly there's plenty of depth with Ariza/Webster, Seraphin, and Vesely. They each bring that energy and quick offense dynamic.

Closed Thread