HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov wants to stay in Montreal and wants one more contract

Old
11-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Forsead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Markov is at the stage in his career where, if he truly wants to stay in Montreal, he needs to sign one year at a time. Heck, what's good for Niklas Lidstrom should be good for Markov!
Lidstrom was signing 1 year deal at 40 and 41 years old, it's not really the same thing.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well, this isn't fair. Markov was effective without Subban for much of last season until burning out. In fact, he's one of the few players on the team who have a positive corsi away from Subban, and the only defenseman.

They actually compliment each other in that they are dominant together - not that Subban wasn't even without Markov, but even more so - plus they naturally play on different sides to begin with. And Markov did probably help Subban's power play production to some degree.
Doesn't say much for last season seeing how he burned out after 20ish games. But as I said last year, I'm not going to hold it against him seeing how he played so little hockey over the past 3years and had some games in the KHL.
I was fully expecting Markov to get back to playing the way he is. He's just too good of player to not adapt and improve.

But no doubt Markov benefits more from PK than vice versa.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Milhouse40

Well, it's pretty easy and should be a no brainer:

Who will be our top 2 offensive D for the next 3 years:
- Subban/Beaulieu
- Subban/Diaz
- Subban/Markov

Pick one, not other alternative unless there's a major trade.
Is Beaulieu or Diaz able to replace Markov? Not even close.....

Or we could save that money and go out on the UFA market and get one of these great offensive D, hope he wants to come to MTL, give him a gigantic contract cause 29 others teams will want him.....NOT a good idea.

Markov will be 35 years old....not 38 or 39....

Some will think he should come cheap because of his injuries.
But his 40 points in his last 67 games since coming back means something.

Since he will be the best offensive D available next year in the UFA, he sould be paid accordingly. He won't take a paycut in these conditions, it's a non-sense!!

I think the price will be 4 years at a gigantic $6 millions/year.
Would i be willing to pay that price?
I would....no better options in the near future!

Markov - Subban for 4 more years, no problem with that!!

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:49 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Doesn't say much for last season seeing how he burned out after 20ish games. But as I said last year, I'm not going to hold it against him seeing how he played so little hockey over the past 3years and had some games in the KHL.
I was fully expecting Markov to get back to playing the way he is. He's just too good of player to not adapt and improve.

But no doubt Markov benefits more from PK than vice versa.
He did not burn out after 20 games he burned out after something like 60 games... He played in the Khl and that after not playing for nearly 2 years.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Lidstrom was signing 1 year deal at 40 and 41 years old, it's not really the same thing.
Lidstrom didn't suffer serious injuries so you're right, not really the same thing.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Hullois

Quote:
Lidstrom didn't suffer serious injuries so you're right, not really the same thing.
Doesn't mean anything, lately Markov has had flashes of the good old General in terms of speed and agility. And his game was always more cerebral than physical so even if he lost half a step, his game isn't affected by it that much.

It would be an insult to offer him one years deals at the level he's playing.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Bullsmith

3 years.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Still Markov is 34 years old...

Also I'm pretty sure Lidstrom got a higher salary because it was some one year deals and maybe he was the one wanting this, who knows. I prefer getting Markov on a lower salary.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
He did not burn out after 20 games he burned out after something like 60 games... He played in the Khl and that after not playing for nearly 2 years.
He played 21 games in the KHL and he burned out about midway through the year in the NHL.
Anyways, as I said, it's not a knock on him, it was very expected.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 11:35 PM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Doesn't mean anything, lately Markov has had flashes of the good old General in terms of speed and agility. And his game was always more cerebral than physical so even if he lost half a step, his game isn't affected by it that much.

I would say we are not close to winning a cup with this small team. We have to start moving pieces to get us bigger.
So I would deal Markov at the dead line for prospects or picks,and also tell him he is more then welcome to come back and sign with us in the summer. I would also give Diaz more pp time with Markov to boost his numbers and also trade him at the dead line.
In fact I would do that will all our up coming free agents.
MB needs to have a plan to gets us bigger....even if it is only guys for our 3 and 4 lines and also our 4,5 and 6 d-man.
We also need to eat DD contract and have only Gally as our only small top 6 forward. If we have small guys down on the farm with skill we bring them up at the start of next season and play them on the pp to stack some points and then trade them just like TB did with Cory Conacher to get bigger players.

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
I would say we are not close to winning a cup with this small team. We have to start moving pieces to get us bigger.
So I would deal Markov at the dead line for prospects or picks,and also tell him he is more then welcome to come back and sign with us in the summer. I would also give Diaz more pp time with Markov to boost his numbers and also trade him at the dead line.
In fact I would do that will all our up coming free agents.
MB needs to have a plan to gets us bigger....even if it is only guys for our 3 and 4 lines and also our 4,5 and 6 d-man.
We also need to eat DD contract and have only Gally as our only small top 6 forward. If we have small guys down on the farm with skill we bring them up at the start of next season and play them on the pp to stack some points and then trade them just like TB did with Cory Conacher to get bigger players.
Essentially, we have to become a conveyor belt operation in order to fast track our dwarfs and propel them on some other team in exchange for the bigger players they drafted over the dwarfs we saddled ourselves with.

I agree that Gallagher is the only small forward we should be rostering. How to get there sounds like a highly traumatic and uphill process -- not sure it's feasible, especially that we've seen another boatload of diminutive players get taken in the two drafts presided by Bergevin and more contracts doled out the likes of DD, Bouillon, Briere and acquiring another physical specimen in Thomas.

At times like these, I wish they had given the job to Pee-Air instead.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:12 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
i hope marky and his lady have little puck moving kids so we can draft them and have them play the powerplay together with little subbans. a proper farm team

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yup. Brace for something stupid like 4 years for 20 mil or something like that... that way if it happens at least you're prepared.
Pray tell who would be as good as Markov, willing to sign to a reasonable contract given his production and willing to sign in Montreal? Even at the end of those 4 years, I'd still take Markov over 90% of the players available for that price range now.

Quote:
Markov should've been traded long ago as part of a rebuild. If we'd done it then we'd have players at the start of their careers now instead of the end.
Sure, players that are not half as good or skilled as Markov but let's not look at what the guy can actually do. Let's just fret over his age, which isn't really old for a defenseman, and trade him so we can tank properly like Edmenton.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 07:52 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
This is the guy you should be trying to sign for 2-4 years.. not ****ing Diaz.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post

It means everything, unlike what you're claiming here. Insult? I'd rather insult a player than tie my hands in my back for multiple years. Too high of a risk, in my opinion of course (and I love Markov).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Still Markov is 34 years old...

Also I'm pretty sure Lidstrom got a higher salary because it was some one year deals and maybe he was the one wanting this, who knows. I prefer getting Markov on a lower salary.
With an over 35 contract which will count on the cap no matter what you do, I wouldn't offer a long term contract. Two years max. If he doesn't want it, bye-bye.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by penalty shot View Post
not at all , nothing to with sample size

its finding the right mix

Markov, Diaz , Gorges , Cube all cant be in your top 6 and win anything

all struggle in their own end , and it will be the same as last year

we aren't built for the playoffs on the backend and in general we cant win 4 rounds of war with this lineup
Bouillon is probably gone after this year. He won't be top 6 when MB has a team he thinks he can win with. I think once the dust settled Diaz and Gorges won't both be there, eventually the young guys will take one of those spots.

Chicago is a perfect example that you don't need a team of giants on defense to win in the playoffs.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
This is the guy you should be trying to sign for 2-4 years.. not ****ing Diaz.
You're right, because GM's can only talk to one agent per week.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Markov is at the stage in his career where, if he truly wants to stay in Montreal, he needs to sign one year at a time. Heck, what's good for Niklas Lidstrom should be good for Markov!
Lidstrom signed 2 year deals at 36(7.6 mil cap hit) and 38(7.45 mil cap hit). Then 1 year deals at 40 and 41.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Markov should've been traded long ago as part of a rebuild. If we'd done it then we'd have players at the start of their careers now instead of the end.
But we might not have a player of Markov's calibre in the lineup. Markov is still a very very very good defenseman. He's extremely hard to replace. We still don't have anyone close in the system to being able replace both his offensive and defensive game (I'm not counting Subban). Losing Markov leaves big shoes to fill, especially since right now he's looked to found his old game back more or less.

I would sign Markov at 2 or 3 years. He's that good.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Et le But

It's amazing how people thing Markov is easily replaceable.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Andy

Quote:
Yes, it's really upsetting. It's actually getting me angry how under appreciated he is.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yes, it's really upsetting. It's actually getting me angry how under appreciated he is.
Subban needs markov... More than ppl would think.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
I think a guy as old as Markov should be signed on a game-by-game basis. I mean, at his age, even just a year is way too long! We can't take that kind of risk with our precious cap!

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:17 AM
billy piton

Quote:
without markov and plekanec we are edmonton + goalie.

billy piton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Demon Wolf

Quote:
We'd be so much worse without him, for sure. He is still the best PP quarterback in the league in my opinion, and his even strength play this year has been superb. Not only does he look more agile than last season, he also keeps making smart decisions all over the ice.

Demon Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote