HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Contract extension talks for Subban AND Diaz have started

Old
11-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 500
Happy for both. Those of you who don't want to keep Diaz don't understand the game as well as you think you do.

He's a solid player who makes a good first pass and who doesn't get himself in bad situations very often. Some of you guys also seem to believe that NHL calibre players grow on trees, but have you noticed that none of the players in our system have been able to stay with the big club this season? We would rather send Tinordi down than have him play over Bouillon, Murray, or Diaz. Next year he'll surely be better but I would like to keep Diaz on the roster for at least two years. Not to mention all the injuries we always have to deal with.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:11 PM
penalty shot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
ian white 111!!!!
Hainsey as well

penalty shot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:17 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by penalty shot View Post
Hainsey as well
i was being sarcastic btw, i thought the 1's would give it away

TT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:19 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Hainsey as well
He was making fun of you.

But yeah, Hainsey would have been a bargain. Tom Gilbert would have been a nice get for the 3rd pairing, too. Besides those two, nothing else out there, really. You have to assume someone doesn't outbid you and that they actually want to come play here. Factor in the difference we'd have to pay due to taxes...

Not so easy.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:20 PM
penalty shot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Happy for both. Those of you who don't want to keep Diaz don't understand the game as well as you think you do.

He's a solid player who makes a good first pass and who doesn't get himself in bad situations very often. Some of you guys also seem to believe that NHL calibre players grow on trees, but have you noticed that none of the players in our system have been able to stay with the big club this season? We would rather send Tinordi down than have him play over Bouillon, Murray, or Diaz. Next year he'll surely be better but I would like to keep Diaz on the roster for at least two years. Not to mention all the injuries we always have to deal with.
nothing against Diaz but he is overated and a UfA

we found him , Streit , etc... so we can find another one and we have Nygren in the minors

simply put I don't want 3-4 mil for a finesse player who is challenged on the defensive end in our lineup on a team that is challenged in size and overall team d

yes d don't grow on trees but he is not a core player that is a must to keep

look around the league and see how many 3-4+ mil type d are killing teams caps
Liles, Mezeros , etc...

Old
11-14-2013, 07:27 PM
penalty shot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

But yeah, Hainsey would have been a bargain. Tom Gilbert would have been a nice get for the 3rd pairing, too. Besides those two, nothing else out there, really. You have to assume someone doesn't outbid you and that they actually want to come play here. Factor in the difference we'd have to pay due to taxes...

Not so easy.
good points but no one wanted Hainsey , so if you offered 2 years at bargain money I would rather have him or Gilbert , than give Diaz 15/4 and disappoint us
Sidenberg took 4 mil , who is premiere shut down guy , not paying Diaz that money

that's my point , you pay your core stars Price , PK , etc...

you get burnt when Gio, Clarkson , and a host of 4-5 mil players who right now
teams would dump for nothing right now to get them of their cap

Old
11-14-2013, 07:29 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
agreed and it shouldn't be this way

Pk will get his money , Emelin done , Gorges signed

Tinordi and or Pateryn should of been phased in so they get some experience and can play as 5-6th guys thereby Cube, Murray etc... can leave

then we aren't scrambling in free agency to fill the gaps

I don't want Markov back at crazy money 1-2 years max , but I would trade him and get value back cause we aren't winning anything anytime soon

Diaz for me is a non factor long term , can be replaced if need be
of course we wont, cause by your logic we'd trade the good players we have since we arent winning anytime soon...

you cannot win if you don't keep your good players...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Runner77

Quote:
nothing against Diaz but he is overated and a UfA

we found him , Streit , etc... so we can find another one and we have Nygren in the minors

simply put I don't want 3-4 mil for a finesse player who is challenged on the defensive end in our lineup on a team that is challenged in size and overall team d

yes d don't grow on trees but he is not a core player that is a must to keep

look around the league and see how many 3-4+ mil type d are killing teams caps
Liles, Mezeros , etc...
All compelling points.

Plus, when did Diaz become a 2nd pairing D? How many of us are overvaluing him just cause his coach has been showering him with 20 mins of TOI, same coach who until recently had been capping the playing time of one of the league's best defensemen.

Diaz is Streit lite. Nygren is a more complete player who needs more games on our smaller ice surface but when he'll be ready, he'll be more suited to our needs than Diaz will never be.

And ... just because some of us are suggesting that Diaz should be shopped, doesn't at all mean that he should be liquidated.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:35 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
good points but no one wanted Hainsey , so if you offered 2 years at bargain money I would rather have him or Gilbert , than give Diaz 15/4 and disappoint us
Sidenberg took 4 mil , who is premiere shut down guy , not paying Diaz that money

that's my point , you pay your core stars Price , PK , etc...

you get burnt when Gio, Clarkson , and a host of 4-5 mil players who right now
teams would dump for nothing right now to get them of their cap
You have to consider that the NHL is at a very weird transition period with regards to the cap. Cap management only gets easier from here on out as it's likely to keep going up at a decent rate. At least until the next cba, anyway.

Diaz is no seidenberg, but Seids took a huge discount to stay with a cup contender. The general sentiment around here was that the bruins got a real awesome deal on that one. Diaz at 15/4 is no discount, but he'd get that much on the open market. Do I hope he takes less? Of course. I sign him and if a young guy passes him, you have a good asset to move. Better to overpay by half a mil or so than to end up with scrubs like Murray or bouillon patrolling your blue line

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
I think they see a young Markov in Diaz and while i agree he's an average d-man, he has shown flashes of being very effective. For me, he's a guy who has the potential to be a complete puck moving defenseman but who has softness and constancy issues.
If they see a young Markov in Diaz, then they are truly blind. Markov's been who he is for years now, and unlike Diaz he can actually be effective when games gets rough and he can actually get a shot through/hit the net from time to time. Plus Diaz's hockey IQ is not even close to Markov's, both defensively and offensively. People calling him a "Streit-lite"..... Streit can actually shoot the puck and hit the net/miss the opponents shinpads, which is what makes him semi-effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Best player is also one big concussion away from retirement but who needs to look at this when you're talking about trading a 24yo Norris winner never injured.
Crosby's in his prime, and he's only 26 years old... He MAY get injured, but if he doesn't he's guaranteed for at least 100 points for the next 5-6 seasons and most likely >80 for a number of seasons after that. I'm one of Subban's biggest fans, but anyone who wouldn't trade him for Crosby, regardless of "injury history", has no idea.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Crosby's in his prime, and he's only 26 years old... He MAY get injured, but if he doesn't he's guaranteed for at least 100 points for the next 5-6 seasons and most likely >80 for a number of seasons after that. I'm one of Subban's biggest fans, but anyone who wouldn't trade him for Crosby, regardless of "injury history", has no idea.
No idea that what???
Trade Subban for Crosby and who do we have on defense? a 35yo Markov? Other than him, who's there? Diaz??
And if he gets injured? We have absolutely nothing to show for. It's also not a question of whether or not he will get injured, it's more about when. I don't think Crosby will go on to have a healthy career. Guys that have had so many concussion issues don't usually end up playing an extra 10-15years.
As opposed to the center position where we have a possible franchise center in the making, with Eller and Plekanec as back up centers.

So maybe you're the one that has to think this through a little more. It's pretty simple to say ''Crosby is the best, therefore I'll take him'', but there's more to it than that.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I know that, but there's still no player with a 10M cap hit... and only 1 player with a 9M cap hit (2 next season)...
Sure, but that number will rise.

Old
11-14-2013, 09:50 PM
MXD

Gaston Therrien just said that one of his buddies in Switzerland told him that Diaz is negociating on a basis of a 3M/yr deal.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Impossible Glory

For some reason, I let my TV open and L'Antichambre is on.

Gaston Therrien () said one of his swiss contact told him Diaz was negotiating a deal worth 3M+ per year, length unknown. Take it for what it's worth, anyway.

Impossible Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:56 PM
ottawahabs

About the 3m for Diaz contract, although I know Gaston Therrien isn't always the brightest, he doesn't usually play the hockey insider game, so I would think his information is probably very credible if he's willing to divulge it on air.

ottawahabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:58 PM
TT1

never doubt gasthon therrien and has swiss connections

TT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:01 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Not a fan of Daiz, if he is re-signed IMO it's going to be hard to also re-sign Markov, and with the amount of mins Markov is playing its hard to think the team won't look to re-sign him.

It's also not going to come cheap to re-sign Diaz, the team has used him as a top 4 dmen for the past 2 years now, last year while Subban was out he played top 4mins and before getting hurt he was doing well. This year he is also playing top 4mins, playing top pk mins on a pk unit that is doing fine, him being a UFA and only 27, he knows he can get a ton of money elsewhere, just like Streit.

Hopeful Bergevin is just looking to see what his asking price is, but IMO Daiz is getting 3-3.5M on a 4 year deal somewhere.
I should be an agent

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Feintastic

Its ok to re-sign Diaz, still think he is a bit overrated but salary wise the cap will go up anyway...its cool he's righty...we need that... he's soft but that's life... the Montreal Canadiens is a soft team so I guess its ok

I just hate how Bergevin signs him and Emelin before Subban... personnal opinion

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feintastic View Post
Its ok to re-sign Diaz, still think he is a bit overrated but salary wise the cap will go up anyway...its cool he's righty...we need that... he's soft but that's life... the Montreal Canadiens is a soft team so I guess its ok

I just hate how Bergevin signs him and Emelin before Subban... personnal opinion
Subban's contract will be a MUCH more complex and longer one (with most like NTC/NMC and everything), so it's normal that it take longer to negotiate.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 06:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Not so easy.
Guys like Hainey and Gilbert ended up dirt cheap because half the NHL was in cap hell this past summer. In a normal year those guys probably get decent deals.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feintastic View Post

So if you are Nashville during the Weber negotiation, you let all your UFA's walk and don't extend any RFA's until Weber is signed?

That's a ridiculous way to do business. As a GM you want 8 guys back, obviouslky Subban is the priority and I'm sure they expect to use 6.5-8 mil of cap space for him next year and beyond, but beyond that it's business as usual with the rest of the roster. Often the best players are the hardest contracts to get done. Kovalchuk in New Jersey only got extended after he hit the UFA market in late July or August.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Guys like Hainey and Gilbert ended up dirt cheap because half the NHL was in cap hell this past summer. In a normal year those guys probably get decent deals.
Well there was absolutely no reason for Tanguay to sign a 1.7M/1y deal in TB after leaving our club, but that's what he got and it wasn't because of low cap. Some decisions make little sense and certain teams still have plenty of cap.
I would have gladly signed Gilbert to a better deal had we not extended Bouillon.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
So if you are Nashville during the Weber negotiation, you let all your UFA's walk and don't extend any RFA's until Weber is signed?

That's a ridiculous way to do business.
And where did he say you let your UFAs walk exactly??? Is there a rule now that says if you don't re-sign your UFAs by end of November then they will walk???
Btw, Markov is a UFA as well and he's a bigger priority.

We don't know what is going on, maybe Markov said he wants to wait. Who knows.
But without having info, he's right to question the timing and prioritizing of these extensions.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
For some reason, I let my TV open and L'Antichambre is on.

Gaston Therrien () said one of his swiss contact told him Diaz was negotiating a deal worth 3M+ per year, length unknown. Take it for what it's worth, anyway.
More like a waitress at SwissChalet

Blackshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Hullois

I know someone closed the thread about Subban contract negociations but it was new news:

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...es-avec-subban

«Nous avons commencé à négocier», a confirmé l'agent de Subban, Don Meehan, à la chaîne TVA Sports.

They started actual negociations, as per Don Meehan.

Hullois is online now   Reply With Quote