HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2013, 10:38 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Lol if we got Ehlers and Vrana it would be absolutely stupid.

Button is a toolshed.
It's his list, it's not the order of the draft predicted.

I'm sure if the list of some teams would go public, we'd all be surprised how different they are.

Chill out with the Hatred.

Personally, I enjoy those. Not because they're dead on like Mackenzie's, but because it gives you an idea of how certain players are seen.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:39 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Is Aaron Ekblad soft? I see his size and PIMs and the first thing I think of is Jay Bouwmeester. While it's not a bad player to be compared to, he's always left us wanting more.
Ekblad can play a mean and nasty game if you need him to. That being said, he is also a mature player for his age and probably knows that he can not be in the box too often with a team that lost a lot of firepower this offseason. I do not think he has the high end talent of Jones, but I do think he will be nastier to play against in the NHL.

Old
11-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Glad I'm not alone on the Bennett bandwagon. Corey Pronman just hop on it. Hope there are others but they will be if you see him play....awesome player.
There's already been a lot of folks on the Bennett bandwagon for quite a while now. Probably the best 3-zone forward in this draft.

Old
11-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=690971

Old
11-14-2013, 06:32 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

There's a Cherepanov available for this draft, is he related?

Old
11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
S Bah

I see that LA Kings have a new kid line with Tanner Pearson centering Linden Vey and Tyler Toffoli and they just stuck it to the NYI's tonight. The Habs need another kid line coming within 2-3 yrs, similar with a defensive center (fast skating, stickhandling) as a conscience on the line with two fast wingers. It seems that every team that's rising through the ranks have a line like this and the Habs could manage that in the upcoming draft.

Old
11-14-2013, 08:50 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I see that LA Kings have a new kid line with Tanner Pearson centering Linden Vey and Tyler Toffoli and they just stuck it to the NYI's tonight. The Habs need another kid line coming within 2-3 yrs, similar with a defensive center (fast skating, stickhandling) as a conscience on the line with two fast wingers. It seems that every team that's rising through the ranks have a line like this and the Habs could manage that in the upcoming draft.
Pearson was at center and not Vey?

Old
11-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Disappearing Semin

I went to the London-Ottawa game and all I can say is wow Konecny is gonna be a really good player. Also , great pick by CBJ for Andersson he was the best player for london yesterday

Old
11-15-2013, 07:38 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Pearson was at center and not Vey?
To be honest Toffoli, Pearson and Vey are all centers, like the old Habs used to do, draft centers that play all three positions. Toffoli is listed as the center.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:47 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
I went to the London-Ottawa game and all I can say is wow Konecny is gonna be a really good player. Also , great pick by CBJ for Andersson he was the best player for london yesterday
What was McCarron and Tyler Hill's fight like? I really want the Habs to draft a big LW like Hill so they control the boards and corners when they need too.

Last edited by S Bah: 11-15-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old
11-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Disappearing Semin

Quote:
What was McCarron and Tyler Hill's fight like? I really want the Habs to draft a big LW like Hill so they control the boards and corners when they need too.
It was pretty boring to be honest lol they are twoo big guys who didnt fight a lot before and McCarron has a lot of trouble getting his right hand free to throw punches. If he learns to do that it is going to help him. A lot. McCarron's two biggest flaws right now is his balance( He has trouble with his skating and when he is getting checked because is centre of gravity is too high and he doesnt brace his knees when he is skating so he is easy to knock over when he's skating. Second flaw is his shot. Ouch. He has a 10 ft long stick and cant get a real shot on net. Everytime he shoots is like he's sweeping a broom. For what that i found impressive, he is good defensively and has good IQ so he can play on a 3rd line.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:47 AM
S Bah

Looking realistically at where the Habs are in the standings and teams that are close, it's conceivable they will finish with a top ten pick between 8th - 12th. That being the case the Habs could land one of the big fish next summer, most likely a forward and preferably a Center or LW. Amongst the players at that range with big upside potential are;

Centers:
Jared McCann - OHL - 6'0" -180 lbs.LH
Dylan Larkin - USNTDP - 6'1" - 190 lbs. LH
Nick Schmaltz - USHL - 6'0" - 170 lbs. RH
Ivan Barbashev - QMJHL - 6'1" - 185 lbs. LH

Left Wingers:
Nick Ritchie - OHL - 6'3" - 218 lbs.LH
Brendan Perlini - OHL - 6'2" - 205 lbs.LH
Leon Draisiatl - WHL - 6'1" - 210 lbs. LH
Nick Ehlers - QMJHL - 6'0" - 169 lbs.LH

Defence:
Haydn Fleury - WHL - 6'2" - 207 lbs.LH
Julius Honka - WHL - 5'11 - 180 lbs.RH
Brycen Martin - WHL - 6'1" -180 lbs.LH
Roland McKeown - OHL - 6'1" - 190 lbs.RH

An 8th choice OV would give the Habs some amazing players to choose from, some could complement previous picks like Collberg, De la Rose, Andrighetto and Lehkonen very well indeed. Honka the RH dman could be a great fit with Tinordi in the future or McKeown. Fleury is the best two way available after Ekblad and Martin very close if not equal.

Any of the LW's could make a good line with De la Rose & Collberg, Draisaitl being fairly creative in his own right along with the size as are both Ritchie and Perlini. Lehkonen with McCarron and Ehlers could be another devastating line with speed and power, many options for Timmins, Bergevin & Comp. to ponder.

The centers are the most interesting IMO and the Habs can't ever have too many good ones. All of them are creative players with huge upsides, while the Habs need a RH center most of all, Barbashev certainly has the talent and comes to play hard every night.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:07 PM
penaltykiller

I'll be at the Subway Series game on Wednesday... Any Russians I should pay attention to besides Barbashev? Russia is pretty much sending their B squad.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
To be honest Toffoli, Pearson and Vey are all centers, like the old Habs used to do, draft centers that play all three positions. Toffoli is listed as the center.
Not to spam the thread but Toffoli has been developed for the RW position since being drafted by the Kings. RW is also the only position he has played in the minors (Manchester Monarchs). Vey has centered the line and most of the fans on the Kings boards are hopefull that he could develop into a solid 3rd line center (he still has to add muscle and be more consistent battling for the puck along the boards). Pearson is a LW - that kind of plays the power forward kind of a game and has a wicked shoot. We are hopefull he could develop into a full time 2nd line winger...

Old
11-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
I'll be at the Subway Series game on Wednesday... Any Russians I should pay attention to besides Barbashev? Russia is pretty much sending their B squad.
Tkachev is another of their top 2014 eligibles.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:04 PM
kingdok

I haven't read this thread at all, but just want to say that I really want MTL to draft a defenseman in this draft. They only drafted 1 in the last 2 drafts and I a high profile Dman at this phase would only be good down the line. Of course I'm all for BPA but at equal value, I'm tilting toward D.

Old
11-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Mathletic

so far I think Vanier gets underrated quite a bit, I don't think anyone has him in their top-30

Old
11-15-2013, 03:48 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

The guy that intrigues me is Draisaitl. Has anyone actually seen him play live this season? His numbers seem good, and I hear his creativity is great.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:21 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Not to spam the thread but Toffoli has been developed for the RW position since being drafted by the Kings. RW is also the only position he has played in the minors (Manchester Monarchs). Vey has centered the line and most of the fans on the Kings boards are hopefull that he could develop into a solid 3rd line center (he still has to add muscle and be more consistent battling for the puck along the boards). Pearson is a LW - that kind of plays the power forward kind of a game and has a wicked shoot. We are hopefull he could develop into a full time 2nd line winger...
I guess the TSN's lineup for LA Kings has Toffoli and Vey's positions listed wrong then, not that wingers don't take draws all the time, when their center gets thrown out of the faceoff. Point is the line has played well in the few games they have played together and Vey has been the playmaker since his days in the WHL. It sounds like the LA fans have a winner with that line, maybe a little early for that but it looks promising.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:23 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Watched Leon since he came over. Great skills, improved his skating. Still not sure about willingness to play gritty. Pretty smart but I wanna see more jam. And I'm not talking about strawberry.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:50 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
so far I think Vanier gets underrated quite a bit, I don't think anyone has him in their top-30
I think people( and I include myself) still doubt his numbers are being truthful to what he brings.

Have yet to see him play live this year as I missed the Drakkar when they were in town.

One thing's for sure, he has the physical tools, and he seems to be pretty mobile. I personally think his numbers are getting inflated by the team he plays with.

A guy like Carl Neill would produce as much, if not more, with Baie-Comeau IMO.

Old
11-16-2013, 01:32 AM
AJMHABS
Chucky #27

I don't really know much about Barbrashev, and would what kind of player he is. Can someone give me a scouting report on him along with his potential?

I've heard of him but never seen him play.

Thanks in advance.

Old
11-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I think people( and I include myself) still doubt his numbers are being truthful to what he brings.

Have yet to see him play live this year as I missed the Drakkar when they were in town.

One thing's for sure, he has the physical tools, and he seems to be pretty mobile. I personally think his numbers are getting inflated by the team he plays with.

A guy like Carl Neill would produce as much, if not more, with Baie-Comeau IMO.
His numbers a inflated for sure but there's no denying in his skills either. Tonight he ended up with the assist because his shot was deflected but he can take bombs from the point. He skates really well. Kid is 6'5 225. Active stickwork defensively, could play more physical at times but isn't shy either. Him and Meloche are great to watch. Whenever Meloche carries the puck, Vanier is there to back him up. Most nights I've seen the Drakkar play, I thought they were the best defensive pair. They don't get the tough assignments Chênevert and Poulin get but they'll get it done against any lines from what I've seen so far.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:36 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Watched Leon since he came over. Great skills, improved his skating. Still not sure about willingness to play gritty. Pretty smart but I wanna see more jam. And I'm not talking about strawberry.
Blueberry?

Old
11-16-2013, 02:16 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
Goldobin.

Closed Thread