HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gotta give the Flyers credit tonight

Old
12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Flyers_01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Didn't get a chance to watch the game only listened to part of it over the web, but both write-ups on the game over at philly.com says Johnson was Pitkanen's man, and he let him go without even trying to do anything, while Zhitnik was playing the pass. So I'll have to see what other people say, but the WIP announcers seemed to be mostly positive about Zhitnik, other than his penalties.
I'll have to take a look at the writeups but Markov carried the puck into the zone. Zhitnik played the man (Markov), Markov then passed to the uncovered Johnson. I believe there was a third man on the other side that pitkanen was guarding. Zhitnik should've played the pass but didn't resulting in the Markov to Johnson pass which is why Nitty was out of position for the goal.

I have to say the Comcast announcers on TV were pretty much gushing about Zhitnik the whole game and refused to lay any blame on him when he got beat for those two goals. I'm guessing there's a comcast media "honeymoon period" with him.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Zhitnik also drew a penalty, had 5 very solid shots on goal (If Flyers were screanning Aebischer results would be better) and had a point on PP. Also was second best behind Hatcher on PK..
To be fair then Zhitnik committed 2 interference penalties and drew one so he's still in the negative there. He does have a canon from the point but didn't seem particularly accurate. I remember at one point the comcast announcers said Zhitnik missed intentionally wide so that the Flyers could complete a line change. So yea other than his mistakes that led to all 4 Canadian goals he played well.

Quote:
How can you blame Zhitnik? He made a pass and then recieved the pass back on the blue line with Canadien player right on him..
It was inside the blueline, I think (don't really care either way) but shouldn't Zhitnik be playing the pass and not the man on an odd man rush?

Quote:
If Carter did not fell down on his arse in the middle of the ice loosing the puck and creating a turn over.
I'm not absolving any of the other mental screwups other Flyers made but Zhitnik was in position to stop Higgins and Higgins undressed him but the tendancy so far has been to not to hold Zhitnik accountable for anything. Regardless of who screwed up orginally Zhitnik made the last mistake that cost us the goal. I don't care if Zhitnik looks great for 25 minutes and only looks bad for 3, if those 3 minutes cost us goals then it's a problem.

Old
12-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
I'll have to take a look at the writeups but Markov carried the puck into the zone. Zhitnik played the man (Markov), Markov then passed to the uncovered Johnson. I believe there was a third man on the other side that pitkanen was guarding. Zhitnik should've played the pass but didn't resulting in the Markov to Johnson pass which is why Nitty was out of position for the goal.

I have to say the Comcast announcers on TV were pretty much gushing about Zhitnik the whole game and refused to lay any blame on him when he got beat for those two goals. I'm guessing there's a comcast media "honeymoon period" with him.
Johnson was Pitkanen's man. Watch the highlights.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Dimitrios*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Invisible. I think he made maybe one nice pass in the first period. After that, you really had to look to notice him.
I didn't even know he was playing, I heard his name maybe twice

Dimitrios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
To be fair then Zhitnik committed 2 interference penalties and drew one so he's still in the negative there. He does have a canon from the point but didn't seem particularly accurate. I remember at one point the comcast announcers said Zhitnik missed intentionally wide so that the Flyers could complete a line change. So yea other than his mistakes that led to all 4 Canadian goals he played well.
Zhitnik missed 2 shots. Had 5 heavy shots on goal.
Quote:
It was inside the blueline, I think (don't really care either way) but shouldn't Zhitnik be playing the pass and not the man on an odd man rush?
Well I do not care either... You do not pass back to Zhitnik when he is covered inside the blue line on PP. Dump the puck deep. At that point Zhitnik had no room.
Quote:
I'm not absolving any of the other mental screwups other Flyers made but Zhitnik was in position to stop Higgins and Higgins undressed him but the tendancy so far has been to not to hold Zhitnik accountable for anything. Regardless of who screwed up orginally Zhitnik made the last mistake that cost us the goal. I don't care if Zhitnik looks great for 25 minutes and only looks bad for 3, if those 3 minutes cost us goals then it's a problem.
Well since you are talking about how badly Zhitnik sucked.. Lets talk about what forwards were doing. Knuble lazy penalty, Carter two high sticking and falling on his arse turning the puck over Higgins got the pass and was home free.. Well if forwards do not give the puck up like they do in center of the ice, we wouldn't be talking about Zhitnik catching up Higgins. Those kind of turn overs lead to goals and scoring chances.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Well since you are talking about how badly Zhitnik sucked.. Lets talk about what forwards were doing. Knuble lazy penalty, Carter two high sticking and falling on his arse turning the puck over Higgins got the pass and was home free.. Well if forwards do not give the puck up like they do in center of the ice, we wouldn't be talking about Zhitnik catching up Higgins. Those kind of turn overs lead to goals and scoring chances.
I agree but what do the Flyers do about it? I think the biggest problem is the mental mistakes but how do they correct it and is it even correctable this year? Do the Flyers just go down in a big ball of flames or do they try to take something positive away from this season before the season ends? I think mentally most of the Flyers have shut down. Lazy or mental-lapse type penalties are way to common. Way to many turnovers have occured when a player makes a bad decision with the puck (or forgets how to skate).

Old
12-22-2006, 09:58 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I agree but what do the Flyers do about it? I think the biggest problem is the mental mistakes but how do they correct it and is it even correctable this year? Do the Flyers just go down in a big ball of flames or do they try to take something positive away from this season before the season ends? I think mentally most of the Flyers have shut down. Lazy or mental-lapse type penalties are way to common. Way to many turnovers have occured when a player makes a bad decision with the puck (or forgets how to skate).
You correct mistakes like that with a smart, experienced, legit NHL head coach. Maybe someone who has won a cup. And you give him more then 8 games to fix his team's issues.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I am not sure what a mental mistake is at this point. If your team is hurt you just try to play safe. I know it is boring but you try to play a steady game especially against good counter attack teams like Habs. We have young team on both O and D mistakes will happen no matter what. Head coach at this point can not do anyting about it. There is no time to prepare, we have players in and out because of injuries plus trades. Some one counted 38-40 players that played for the Flyers this season not to mention head coach and GM changes.
THis whole season is a mental mistake and at this point all I want to see is effort.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
I am not sure what a mental mistake is at this point. If your team is hurt you just try to play safe. I know it is boring but you try to play a steady game especially against good counter attack teams like Habs. We have young team on both O and D mistakes will happen no matter what. Head coach at this point can not do anyting about it. There is no time to prepare, we have players in and out because of injuries plus trades. Some one counted 38-40 players that played for the Flyers this season not to mention head coach and GM changes.
THis whole season is a mental mistake and at this point all I want to see is effort.
I hear you about playing safe but taking offensive zone penalties, penalties away from the puck, and unforced turnovers are all correctable regardless of talent. I saw Nitty go behind the net last game and instead of clearing it one way to an open defenseman he shot it the other way around the boards into the feet of a montreal forward. Now I don't think anything came of it but that's just a mental mistake and not the safe play. Mentally these guys need to be rebooted.