HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It was an even fight.

McCarron had a decent game. He makes smart plays, but simply doesn't create much offence on his own.
I was at the game. Neither guy threw many punches..Mac knows how to defend himself, and that's more than half the battle...he's already been taught not to expose himself.

Mac's game isn't going to be as a big creator..his stick is simply too long for him to be a great stickhandler..thing is about half a rink long. He doesn't have great hands in close with that long stick either. All that said he handles the puck well for his size..there's lots of work to do but some real nice pieces to his game. He's going to need the full two years in London - lots for the Hunters to teach him yet, but I look forward to seeing how he looks by the end of next season. Lots of depth on the London roster...he'll get more ice time next season. He is not a dominant player in the OHL...yet. It may take a year.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:00 AM
ChoseLa

Should we keep an eye on Tyler Hill this upcoming draft?

Old
11-15-2013, 02:12 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Should we keep an eye on Tyler Hill this upcoming draft?
Did he not get picked last draft?

Old
11-15-2013, 06:02 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
I see Connor Crisp has come back down to earth lately.
Last 10 games 0g-0a -5.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:30 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Saw him play Sunday...crazy how much skill, the puck follows him around. Kind of reminds me of St.Louis with his size, speed, hands and vision.
Haven't really seen much of Revay other than a few youtube vids (which were impressive) but if the emboldened above is accurante, those guys are as scarce as hen's teeth. That was the secret to "Lucky" Luc Robittaille's success. Ditto Zach Parise. This is DEFINITELY the kind of thing that just can't be taught (or learned). It's either there or it isn't. Makes Revay a much more interesting pick and prospect imho.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:49 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
I see Connor Crisp has come back down to earth lately.
Last 10 games 0g-0a -5.
He lost his spot on the second line to Matt "2 points in 21 games" Schmalz last night.

Crisp is and always has been an incredibly streaky point producer. He'll go on another tear soon and bring his stats near a point-per-game again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You guys are eager to see McCarron get his clock cleaned? Hill already has better technique.
He does? As noted by his two other (uneventful) fights in the OHL?

It was a pretty boring fight. Very long, but not a whole lot of punches thrown and even less landed. Probably a draw.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:09 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
Hope we'll see a video of it. Two mamouth american coming from non figthing league. I'm curious to see what happened.
Tyler Hill is Canadian born in Hagersville, Ontario, a good athlete that excelled in Lacrosse. His skating needs work, if he keeps up a good work ethic he could be a good 3rd or 4th line LW.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:10 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Tyler Hill is Canadian born in Ontario, a good athlete that excelled in Lacrosse. His skating needs work, if he keeps up a good work ethic he could be a good 3rd or 4th line LW.
I believe I took him in our last mock draft. Heard some really bad things about his attitude, though.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Haven't really seen much of Revay other than a few youtube vids (which were impressive) but if the emboldened above is accurante, those guys are as scarce as hen's teeth. That was the secret to "Lucky" Luc Robittaille's success. Ditto Zach Parise. This is DEFINITELY the kind of thing that just can't be taught (or learned). It's either there or it isn't. Makes Revay a much more interesting pick and prospect imho.
Getting a guy with that much skill in the 4th round is definitely a good thing. Obviously the size is not ideal and some will complain but I'd rather have a 4th rounder turn into Ray Whitney, Martin St.Louis or Jordan Eberle at 5'9" than a 6'4" Blunden or Quailer.

Obviously there were issues with his work ethic last year that knocked him down in the draft and affected his production. After the season, the lightbulb seemed to go on and from what I heard he came into camp in great shape and a transformed player. After a slow start, the last 12 games he has gone 6-17-23 including back to back 4 points game on the 2nd and 3rd nights of a 3 game in 3 night stretch for the Piques.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The funny thing about this board is, some fan just want the Habs to draft size, then when they do they are all upset when said players don't develop as fast as other 5'9" to 5'11" picks. Bigger players generally take longer to develop.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:23 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I believe I took him in our last mock draft. Heard some really bad things about his attitude, though.
Love the Termineller avatar, shocking to hear the bad attitude comments not unheard of around the NHL as Ted Nolan can attest. Apparently there are still detractors to having natives succeeding a sorry and sordid attitude for young Canadians to endure while merely competing for a living in professional sports.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Hudon got a concussion?

Espoirs ‏@Habsfuture 1m
RT @robystgelais: Charles Hudon vient d'être assommé au centre de la glace par Guillaume Gélinas. Un coup de coude directement au visage.
that sucks, not another one.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Wasn't that last year?

Old
11-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
The funny thing about this board is, some fan just want the Habs to draft size, then when they do they are all upset when said players don't develop as fast as other 5'9" to 5'11" picks. Bigger players generally take longer to develop.
Sure they do take longer, but you'd like your first round pick to show at least some signs of being a point producer as an 18 year old CHL forward. Undrafted big man Tyler Hill is outproducing him 2 to 1 right now while making the same transition to the OHL at the same age.

I'll be recording that game on Sportsnet tonight and I am very eager to see how he plays.

If Hudon really suffered a 3rd concussion in not even 2 years, then it's time to view him as nothing more than a ''bonus''. If he makes it, then great. If not, oh well, he was just a 5th rounder anyway. Looking more and more like the kid is too fragile to play the game at the pro level.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Sure they do take longer, but you'd like your first round pick to show at least some signs of being a point producer as an 18 year old CHL forward. Undrafted big man Tyler Hill is outproducing him 2 to 1 right now while making the same transition to the OHL at the same age.

I'll be recording that game on Sportsnet tonight and I am very eager to see how he plays.

If Hudon really suffered a 3rd concussion in not even 2 years, then it's time to view him as nothing more than a ''bonus''. If he makes it, then great. If not, oh well, he was just a 5th rounder anyway. Looking more and more like the kid is too fragile to play the game at the pro level.
He did show signs of being a point producer, then for some reason they started cutting his ice time and I believe he's spent a fair bit of time on the 4th line. I am concerned, but it's not like he is with Domi and not doing anything...possibly it's in part due to the shoulder injury.

Concussions have nothing to do with "fragility". They are usually hits to the head. Has it been confirmed that he has a concussion? I have not heard it from a reputable source.

Old
11-15-2013, 10:16 AM
S Bah

I'm content to leave McCarron in the capable hands of the Hunter Bros. and await the polished product, before judging any of his play.

A defenceman the Habs might take an interest in is Regina's Dimitri Sinitsyn the RD that can be signed on June 17th as a 20 yr. old. @ 6'2" & 205 lbs a solid Dman with considerable offence.

Another 20 yr. old undrafted LW from Everett Silvertips in the WHL, Joshua Winquist 4th OV in scoring playing without a great team, Mirco Mueller being their only notable player.

Old
11-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Treb

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Quote:
Wasn't that last year?
Quote:
He did show signs of being a point producer, then for some reason they started cutting his ice time and I believe he's spent a fair bit of time on the 4th line. I am concerned, but it's not like he is with Domi and not doing anything...possibly it's in part due to the shoulder injury.

Concussions have nothing to do with "fragility". They are usually hits to the head. Has it been confirmed that he has a concussion? I have not heard it from a reputable source.
Well, habsprospect said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
I read he got up right after with no problem and didn't leave the game.
So I do hope he doesn't have a concussion.

Old
11-15-2013, 10:25 AM
pcamp

I was at the game yesterday. Even fight but mccarron got a few more punches. They were wrestling more than anything. This is whay i posted in nhl draft 2014 thread since somebody asked .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
It was pretty boring to be honest lol they are twoo big guys who didnt fight a lot before and McCarron has a lot of trouble getting his right hand free to throw punches. If he learns to do that it is going to help him. A lot. McCarron's two biggest flaws right now is his balance( He has trouble with his skating and when he is getting checked because is centre of gravity is too high and he doesnt brace his knees when he is skating so he is easy to knock over when he's skating. Second flaw is his shot. Ouch. He has a 10 ft long stick and cant get a real shot on net. Everytime he shoots is like he's sweeping a broom. For what that i found impressive, he is good defensively and has good IQ so he can play on a 3rd line.

Old
11-15-2013, 10:30 AM
pcamp

And no Grant i didn't copy your text lol. Glad to see i saw the same thing as a pro scout.

Old
11-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
There's taking longer and taking longer. McCarron could be slighly under a PPG and STILL we would hear how he's far from making it 'cause he has so many other things to work on. So as of now, he seems he's doing well in the other departments, but doesn't show too much of an offensive mindset. Still ways to go. Nobody should abandon the idea of what he could become. But it is TOTALLY understandable to be the forwards with the worst stats of the first 2 rounds in last year's draft belongs to the Montreal Canadiens. I mean....there is a limit to struggle. Let's hope it's all about the injury which again brings the question...if it's an injury that is so detrimental to how you play the game, why the heck would they be playing you?

Also, when people want to take bigger players.....they don,t want to go out of their way to do so. There were comments about scouts that had a different opinion than our own Grant had. You have to believe that most thought it was way too soon for him. But in the end, Timmins and Co didn't want to take the chance......but reality is that maybe, if we would have just made the swap, taking De La Rose at 25, and Big Mac at 32....as strange as it sounds, there would not have been that many questions....A 1st round is a 1st round. With all that it means.

Old
11-15-2013, 06:22 PM
crakced

FYI - London vs Kingston on Sportsnet One right now if you have it.

Haven't seen much of McCarron yet.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:30 PM
gusfring

6 PTS in 18 games is pretty bad for a 1st round pick.

No matter what excuse you use.

Old
11-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Aceekay

Wrong thread

Old
11-15-2013, 09:31 PM
MarkovsKnee

If McCarron's stick is such an issue why doesn't he play with a shorter stick? He's a big guy with a long reach, so it's not like he needs a really long stick. Is there a reason why he is using such a long stick?

He was drafted at #25 so he has a better chance of busting than becoming an NHL player. That's just reality. If he was an offensive wiz, then he would've gone top 10 like Doan and other power forwards have.

There's a long way to go with McCarron, but if he winds up as a quality 3rd line NHLer then he could be very valuable. Kings won with big guys like Dwight King, Clifford, Nolan and Penner. We have nothing like that in our system.

The pick was a "need" pick but then our system is pretty desperate for quality big players like McCarron and DLR could be. At that point in the draft, I'm fine with that. If it was top 20 then I might be more upset, but I'm not. Way way too early to tell about Big Mac.

Old
11-15-2013, 10:10 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
Hope we'll see a video of it. Two mamouth american coming from non figthing league. I'm curious to see what happened.

Closed Thread