HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

NYR shopping Michael Del Zotto

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2013, 02:29 PM
caley

vCash: 500
NYR shopping Michael Del Zotto

per Renaud Lavoie
Quote:
Michael Del Zotto est laissé de côté demain vs Canadiens. Il pourrait bien quitter les #rangers via transaction. Son nom circule dans la LNH
my translation
Quote:
Michael Del Zotto will be a healthy scratch tomorrow vs the Canadiens. He could very well leave the #rangers via transaction. His name is circulating around the NHL.
Funny, he was on the outs with Torts, now he's not playing under Vigneault. Is he a guy who just needs the exact right change-of-scenery or was his early potential a bit of a smokescreen masking a player who just doesn't have 'it', like, say, Alex Goligoski?

11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
umwoz

Winnipeg is in the market for a LHD, although I'm sure they aren't alone on that list.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:34 PM
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Winnipeg is in the market for a LHD, although I'm sure they aren't alone on that list.
He just hasn't been counted as part of the core for a long time now.

He's our third best LD and I think that plays a part in it. Staal and McDonagh are clearly ahead on the depth chart, and he can't play RD very well. He's been on the outs for quite some time now.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:36 PM
nikonsniper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

Funny, he was on the outs with Torts, now he's not playing under Vigneault. Is he a guy who just needs the exact right change-of-scenery or was his early potential a bit of a smokescreen masking a player who just doesn't have 'it', like, say, Alex Goligoski?
Vigneault is now able to really see all his players as they are, and is beginning to rebuild the team based on what he likes and doesn't like from his players. Del Zotto just may not fit the mold of what he wants his team to be.

I dont as much call it a need for a change of scenery for Del Zotto, as it is finding a home where his talents will be best used.

He's a 23 year old defender with years of NHL experience and is basically a 40-point player. Not too many of those in the league. If he can get in somewhere that can shelter his shifts, or pair him with someone who can cover for him, he can have a very nice career going for him. Even if he never improves much beyond what he is now, he still has value.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
He just hasn't been counted as part of the core for a long time now.

He's our third best LD and I think that plays a part in it. Staal and McDonagh are clearly ahead on the depth chart, and he can't play RD very well. He's been on the outs for quite some time now.
And John Moore is playing solid hockey as well and he's also a LHD.

Del Zotto and Pyatt in a package deal We need a RHD defenseman. Petry? Franson? Demers?

Old
11-15-2013, 02:37 PM
FlamesFan18
Regression Obsession

Whats his value?

Old
11-15-2013, 02:38 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Sbisa for Del Zotto straight up?

Old
11-15-2013, 02:39 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
If he was right handed I think the Flames would be all over him. As it stands maybe something around Cammy for Del Zotto could work for both teams.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:40 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan18 View Post
Whats his value?
If we are trading him, it will likely be for a roster player of similar age, either a RH dman or a LW.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:40 PM
p0ck3ts
BB Pisses Genius

I'd imagine the Avs are interested as they need of a LHD...

Old
11-15-2013, 02:41 PM
klingsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan18 View Post
Whats his value?
Couldn't be much lower than it is right now.

Pretty good risk if a team can get him on the cheap but Sather's usually too smart to trade like that unless he can find a sucker.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:42 PM
electricjib

I'm not against the Avs going after him.

Would be an upgrade over 2/3rds of our D. Not sure what his value is though. Not even sure what a good offer would be really. Don't want to overpay, or insult.

What would ranger fans realistically need and want back?

Old
11-15-2013, 02:42 PM
PizzaSteak

[QUOTE=caley;74447285]per Renaud Lavoie

my translation

Funny, he was on the outs with Torts, now he's not playing under Vigneault. Is he a guy who just needs the exact right change-of-scenery or was his early potential a bit of a smokescreen masking a player who just doesn't have 'it', like, say, Alex Goligoski?[/QUOTE]

It seems like he's been in the NHL forever, but he's only 23. I think there are two ways to look at Del Zotto:

1. His early play was a smokescreen, he doesn't have a solid enough set of skills to maintain that early play.

2. He has shown prolonged flashes of brilliance, and is just a young defender searching for consistency.

I don't buy reason 1, because of how well he responded to a huge sophomore slump (After a great rookie season) in his third season. After his third season, there was much agreement that he was in the process of molding himself into a very good second pairing Dman - he wasn't just a forward posing as a defender, he could be responsible in his own end.

He has experienced quite the bumpy road since then. He is a player that hasn't found his consistency, and his confidence dips and jumps a lot, with his play following, which can be very frustrating, especially after the great strides he made in his third year.

A fresh start could mean a lot for him. He needs to stop over-thinking so much, and trust his skills.

I say with confidence, if he finds a good situation (which it seemed like he would have under AV, but he has still struggled), he has a good chance at solidfying his original potential of a solid second-pairing defender who can also be a #2 PPQB.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Tyson Barrie for Michael Del Zotto and Taylor Pyatt would be fine

Old
11-15-2013, 02:44 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Inb4 my fellow Oilers fans offer Hemsky for him.

lol.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:45 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonsniper View Post
He's a 23 year old defender with years of NHL experience and is basically a 40-point player.
Is he, though? He has seasons of 37, 11, 41, 21 (pro-rated to 37), and 4 this year (on pace for 21). He's only cracked that 40 point barrier once.

For comparison's sake, Goligoski had seasons of 20 (pro-rated to36), 37 and 31 (pro-rated to 42) before he was dealt to Dallas and his play has been in decline since the deal, and that's what teams are afraid of when it comes to trading for MDZ.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:46 PM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rash View Post
Tyson Barrie for Michael Del Zotto would be just lovely
Maybe Elliot and a 3rd?

Old
11-15-2013, 02:48 PM
electricjib

[QUOTE=PizzaSteak;74447921]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
per Renaud Lavoie

my translation

Funny, he was on the outs with Torts, now he's not playing under Vigneault. Is he a guy who just needs the exact right change-of-scenery or was his early potential a bit of a smokescreen masking a player who just doesn't have 'it', like, say, Alex Goligoski?[/QUOTE]

It seems like he's been in the NHL forever, but he's only 23. I think there are two ways to look at Del Zotto:

1. His early play was a smokescreen, he doesn't have a solid enough set of skills to maintain that early play.

2. He has shown prolonged flashes of brilliance, and is just a young defender searching for consistency.

I don't buy reason 1, because of how well he responded to a huge sophomore slump (After a great rookie season) in his third season. After his third season, there was much agreement that he was in the process of molding himself into a very good second pairing Dman - he wasn't just a forward posing as a defender, he could be responsible in his own end.

He has experienced quite the bumpy road since then. He is a player that hasn't found his consistency, and his confidence dips and jumps a lot, with his play following, which can be very frustrating, especially after the great strides he made in his third year.

A fresh start could mean a lot for him. He needs to stop over-thinking so much, and trust his skills.

I say with confidence, if he finds a good situation (which it seemed like he would have under AV, but he has still struggled), he has a good chance at solidfying his original potential of a solid second-pairing defender who can also be a #2 PPQB.
Good post. Sounds like with a new system and Coach he could excel. At the same time sounds like someone could take a bit of a gamble on him at a cheaper price and possibly get a great player out of it. Or he could continue on the same trajectory.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:48 PM
p0ck3ts
BB Pisses Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
I'm not against the Avs going after him.

Would be an upgrade over 2/3rds of our D. Not sure what his value is though. Not even sure what a good offer would be really. Don't want to overpay, or insult.

What would ranger fans realistically need and want back?
Apparently they're looking for either a RHD of similar age or LW so immediately I think of Barrie and McGinn...although I'm terrible with value as well so...

Old
11-15-2013, 02:49 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Rangers fans, any interest in Brooks Laich or Troy Brouwer?

Old
11-15-2013, 02:50 PM
TOGuy14

I would assume that NJ and PHI would have a lot of interest in a good young PMD

Old
11-15-2013, 02:51 PM
quackquackquack

Sbisa and Hiller for MDZ, filler, and a pick!!!!!!

Old
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0ckets View Post
Apparently they're looking for either a RHD of similar age or LW so immediately I think of Barrie and McGinn...although I'm terrible with value as well so...
I don't know enough about McGinn to comment, but Barrie and Del Zotto seem to be in similar boats, no? Both need changes of scenery; both are still young and have potential, but are just not fitting in with their new coaches; both are offensive-minded defensemen, etc.

I think Barrie for Del Zotto makes sense for both teams and for both players

Old
McOvechking

Petry & Perron?

Old
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackquackquack View Post
Sbisa and Hiller for MDZ, filler, and a pick!!!!!!
What would we do with Jonas Hiller?

Closed Thread