HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers should make a move for Kulikov

Old
11-15-2013, 11:05 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Flyers should make a move for Kulikov

http://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-make-move-kulikov/

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:16 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I doubt they make a move for Kulikov. they already have 5 million worth of salary sitting in the pressbox(ok 4.7). One of those defenseman making 3 million or more would have to go. i severely doubt Florida takes salary back in a deal for Kulikov.
So IMO the Flyers and Panthers are not a good match for a deal for Kulikov.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:19 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Panthers fans sound like they haven't been too impressed with Kulikov this season. I don't know enough about him but, trading Voracek and Read for a struggling defensemen is not something I would consider. I think Holmgren's already done that and as of now, that deal isn't looking so good.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
That would be great...but it won't happen. The cost would be too high.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:26 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Unless they take Meszaros it wont happen. Who else would you take off the blueline? I am not interested in trading Gus for him. you should not be trading a cheap dependable defenseman for a defenseman whos about to be paid next offseason.
besides as someone as mentioned already, he has struggled this season. just stay away.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Psuhockey

I don't see the flyers having anything of value that they could spare right now. You could move either B. Schenn or Simmonds and move Downie up a line and let Raffl play on the 3rd but would you want too? If Laughton has a great world juniors his value will skyrocket but would you want to trade him especially when the flyers could use some cheap forwards on the roster.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:31 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Unless they take Meszaros it wont happen. Who else would you take off the blueline? I am not interested in trading Gus for him. you should not be trading a cheap dependable defenseman for a defenseman whos about to be paid next offseason.
besides as someone as mentioned already, he has struggled this season. just stay away.
The whole team has struggled this season. It's not just him. There have been very few bright spots. I'd consider taking Schenn off the blueline based on how awful he's been.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:58 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post
The whole team has struggled this season. It's not just him. There have been very few bright spots. I'd consider taking Schenn off the blueline based on how awful he's been.
Schenn is a better option then Gill or Meszaros. i know Schenn has had some issues this season but I dont like Gill and Meszaros has been brutal this season. The last game he played he basically gave the other team 3 goals.
I just dont think the 2 teams are a good trade match. Florida probably would want to unload him for prospects/picks. The Flyers, based on their current group of defenseman cannot do that.

Old
11-15-2013, 12:23 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post
Kulikov has been unimpressive for a couple of seasons now.
The way this board turned on Carle, I can't imagine what would happen with Kulikov. Especially if we would give up something substantial for him.

It's also a stupid idea to even bring up Voracek's name in talks about Kulikov.
And yeah, if the author of this article would've watched the Flyers he wouldn't write that the biggest problem is the D.

edit: Just saw the author is the same guy opening this thread and marking it with "speculation".
Can someone stop doing this. That's ********.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
I'd like to try and get MDZ instead... duno what the heck is going on with him, gone from one of the best young puck movers in the NHL to a healthy scratch in a year.

I mean, I watched quite a few Rags games last year when he had a bad year, and he could still move the puck fine, just his D and IQ was exposed more.

But his D problems I think are slightly overstated, his biggest flaw is he is too aggresive and slightly selfish offensively... he will try and pinch when it is not on, force plays when they are not on... which leads to some awful looking blown plays and odd man rushes, if they could be eliminated he would be decent on D. They also moved him to the other D side when he has played his whole career on the left, which has not helped him.

Not saying he is perfect or close to it, but he has all the tools to be a great puck moving D and has proven at a young age he can be. He is the kind of guy a change of scenery could do wonders for, he needs a kick up the arse, shock to the system etc.

If they could get him without giving up to much it is a risky move, but one that if it came off could set they team up very well going forward.

But doubt the Rags would trade to the Flyers... and he would probably command something stupid, so I probably just wasted 5 paragraphs.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Curufinwe

I would consider trading Simmonds for him. I think Kuilkov would benefit from a change of scenery.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I would consider trading Simmonds for him. I think Kuilkov would benefit from a change of scenery.
Still need to move a defenseman. a deal like that would make 7 defenseman making 2.5 per not including Pronger. if you do that deal then you might as well trade Gus.

Meszaros, a 3rd and a prospect for Kulikov

Old
11-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Curufinwe

You don't need to move a defenseman for cap reasons - Kulikov makes less than Simmonds. You can just wait for Meszaros, Gill and probably Timonen to leave after this season.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
You don't need to move a defenseman for cap reasons - Kulikov makes less than Simmonds. You can just wait for Meszaros, Gill and probably Timonen to leave after this season.
no but for roster reasons you do if you are looking to trade for him this season. trading for Kulikov during the season and not moving out a defenseman(preferably not named Gus) makes little sense.
if they want to make a pitch for him next summer then that is fine. Cost would likely be higher but that is fine.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:38 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

"good young player x is available, flyers should try to get him"

great idea

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:48 PM
WACCAttack

This isn't speculation; it's basically a trade proposal. I know OP is the author of the article and apparently lead Flyers writer, but THW is no more of a legitimate source than any post on this forum.

WACCAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Defense and Goaltending has been fine. Scoring has been the problem. Unless we can trade Luke schenn + for Kulikov then no sense in making this trade when we need to keep our forward depth.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:06 PM
flyershockey

I'm not interested in trading any of the young forwards (Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, or Read) to get him. It's telling that a team that's going into a full rebuild is so willing to part ways with a 23 year old defenseman. Obviously they're not that sold on him being a core piece moving forward. The only pieces I would consider would be L. Schenn, Laughton, or Hartnell. Hartnell's obviously a no-go for Florida because of his age/contract.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
You gotta try, Florida stinks, just because they want to give up on him doesn't mean he's not good.

If he can be had here, he can slide quietly into the defense. he won't play hard defensive minutes (grossman coburn) and he won't be SOLELY relied on for offense (Gus/Striet/Kimo)

It would actually be a fairly good situation to put him in. However now that I think about it, I think you have to sacrifice Gus + Forward for him.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Garbage Goal

Only if Meszaros is dumped and even then Kulikov's value in Florida's mind is probably way higher then it actually is considering his performance in his career to date.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:23 PM
PhillyFlying

the article focuses on our defense as being turnover machines...funny because lately the giveaways have been almost nonexistent. bad timing. you gotta think if homer's looking to make a move it's for another forward that can put the puck in the net.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Michael Del Zotto will be a healthy scratch tomorrow...sounds like the Rangers are listening, HOWEVER, I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe they will listen from the Flyers.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:38 PM
The Couturier Effect

Yeah the "patchwork defense" you describe has been the least of our worries since Berube took over. It's far from perfect, but considering who's on it, they've done a pretty good job.

Homer needs to be patient. It seems like things are starting to come together, so there's no reason to move anyone unless the deal is too good to pass up. And in this case, I doubt Florida will be selling low on Kulikov. So I don't see this happening.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:42 PM
3Fs

I think we have finally have turned that corner and season is back on track. I would not make a trade unless it makes our team better filling a need and we have to say we won the trade hands down. Otherwise leave things alone.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:16 PM
tymed

I'm certainly willing to admit my bias against investing quality assets in Russian hockey players....Simply just would not do it. They've done everything they possibly can in my mind to make the argument for me.

That aside, he's far from the piece we need on the back end if were going there. He'd be expected to fill a certain role to a degree of competence that he's really just not cut out to be.

Would he be an upgrade to our backend at this time? I could see arguments from both sides and just not enough pros to make it worth it.
I like his upside but we've got that in spades around here now. Considering the pricetag, I would label the move as being sideways at best.

If Florida of all teams already has this guy on the block in the state of their franchise, then for me there's already enough writing on the wall all-things considered.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote