HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2004 wjc team

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
2004 wjc team

Does anyone remember if Zherdev played for the russians at the wjc?

Canada obviously would have liked to have had Staal, Horton and Nash there, I was just wondering if we were the only country to not send all their best players.

Old
01-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Bohologo

I think Zherdev was on the Russian poop list for having flown the coop to Columbus amid controversy over his military service, but he was penciled in as the team captain. Would have been nice to see him play at the WJC, but he's on to bigger & better things now.

Old
01-21-2004, 07:32 PM
jadeddog

ive thought about this numerous times in the past..... pretty much every year canada has 2-3 players that are eligable (sp?) toplay, but are playing so well with their respective NHL clubs, that they arent allowed to go play for the WJC team..... i know other countries sometimes have this happen as well, but its not NEAR as common

it would be interesting to see if our teams would have done any better over the years (not like they have done poorly, lol) with these players consistantly on the WJC team

Old
01-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Bohologo

I'm not so sure; this was always the excuse when Canada would finish 7th at the Olympic hockey tourney.

I think you have to win with the guys you have, the ones wearing the Maple Leaf on the day. No excuses-you don't hear much about how '72 would have been different if Bobby Orr & Bobby Hull had played, and those guys would have changed the complexion of the series...on paper.

For any given game or series, someone's hurt, someone's missing, someone's girlfriend just dumped him, etc. I agree the lineup could have been stronger, but everyone can make excuses. Example: the Russians played poorly because of a historical animosity between the Suomi and Slavic people, and the visiting Russians had hurt feelings. Bottom line-you have to win with the guys who show up, and not lament the ones who don't/can't/won't.

Closed Thread