HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Diaz close to signing an x-term contract!

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
You don't even realize how your diagnosis of the current makeup of the Habs D is a clear sign that we need to upgrade on Gorges. Diaz is just fine in his role, and will be totally tradeable when Beaulieu is ready, so long as Bergy keeps his caphit down.
Actually I've been saying for the past two years we need to upgrade on Gorges.
For the time being though, he's on our team.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:53 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Gorges is another weak link in the d... like him and his heart but he's soft and weak too, and makes way too much money. You can get by with one guy like that. .. but adding Diaz is too much.

Old
11-15-2013, 04:58 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Another thing that really ****ing bugs me is that we are even entertaining the thought of extending Diaz when Subban hasn't signed yet.

Diaz shouldn't be re-signed but if MB is going to continue with his rookie mistakes of falling in love with his players, he should be locking up PK before even thinking about god damn Diaz. Jesus.

Old
11-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Hugo Sham

I'm tepid about the Diaz signing - doesn't do anything great, just ok...but very SOFT. 2nd PP unit needs him....so next year...

Subban / Gorges
Emelin / Markov
Diaz / Tinordi
Beaulieu / Drewiskie

murray/cube OUT

i can see why MB wants to sign him though..no guarantee markov resigns and risky to go into next year with two rookies in top 6

Old
11-15-2013, 05:38 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Another thing that really ****ing bugs me is that we are even entertaining the thought of extending Diaz when Subban hasn't signed yet.

Diaz shouldn't be re-signed but if MB is going to continue with his rookie mistakes of falling in love with his players, he should be locking up PK before even thinking about god damn Diaz. Jesus.
hes negotiating both of their extensions atm :d chill!

Old
11-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Would make no sense to me. I want us to move towards a better D. Signing Diaz would be accepting the statu quo which is totally unacceptable and VERY......INAPPROPRIATE. If so, Bergevin bets on stability. And I call it a bad hockey move as stability doesn't necessarily mean a great one. This D is average on a good day. This team is average as well. We have some good pieces, Diaz isn't one of them. If Bergevin does that, he falls in the lazy category instead of really working hard to improve this team. I will be pissed off if that happens, unless it serves him to trade him right after. But as of now....I'm not counting on Bergevin to be THAT imaginative.

Old
11-15-2013, 05:42 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Would make no sense to me. I want us to move towards a better D. Signing Diaz would be accepting the statu quo which is totally unacceptable and VERY......INAPPROPRIATE.
Agree 100% with this sentiment.

We need to upgrade, not stay the same.

Old
11-15-2013, 06:13 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Agree 100% with this sentiment.

We need to upgrade, not stay the same.
What scares me is our GM may think he is upgrading the D by making these "moves".

Old
11-15-2013, 06:13 PM
GoodKiwi

I would be alright with Diaz being in the club's plans at a bottom two defenseman, but I somehow doubt he'll be used as such and am afraid the contract will reflect that.

Old
11-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
What scares me is our GM may think he is upgrading the D by making these "moves".
Ok. Tell us how you could upgrade the D.

Old
11-15-2013, 09:36 PM
calder candidate

I don't mind signing Diaz (should be sign after the olympics just in case he get injured) signing a good contract will actually increase is value on the trade market.

Old
11-15-2013, 10:09 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Ok. Tell us how you could upgrade the D.
Its simple. You package Diaz with a prospect or a pick and find a trade partner for a more physical DMan who is not a liability when he has the puck.

GMs do this all the time.

Boston unloaded Seguin and they look pretty good still. For a team to get better, they have to address needs and be willing to trade assets to get assets. Staying put with a team that is not a threat to win a Cup will mean that next year we will be a team that is not a threat to win a Cup.

Not sure why there is such an attachment to players here. Everyone is tradeable and that is how you improve a team. Waiting on prospects to develop is what Edmonton is doing right now.

Old
11-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

I made a similar point earlier today -- except that I'd go further and get to Diaz only after knowing where we stand with Subban and Markov. Would make it a lot easier to circumscribe just how critical it might be to sign the likes of Diaz and at what conditions.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:06 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
Have you guys heard on AC that Diaz was close to signing a contract worth more the 3 millions per for 3 years? .... IF MB signs Diaz to that kind of money then I have lost faith in him to bring us to the promise land!
It's called sign and trade if desired. Big deal. Actually increases Diaz' value at the deadline.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:18 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Except that Markov is older and we'll need a player to handle the puck going forward. If you want to deal a guy, deal the older one.

Diaz isn't great but he's got some offensive talent. Hang onto him as the secondary offensive guy with PK. Move Markov for the pieces we need.
You and I diverge here LG. I see Markov as an effective 2nd pairing guy for 3 more years, maybe 4. I think he is in shape, and showing durability. A cerebral player who will last. I called this in the summer, and it looks to be happening.

Diaz can be signed and traded for a second at deadline, and easily replaced next year by Beaulieu or Nygren. Signing Diaz will increase his value at deadline.

In fact I think that is the plan.

I do agree with trading vets for youth and picks, as you know, but not Markov.

Gionta HAS to go at deadline for sure, and Moen should be moved to a contender as well. Both of these guys would be highly valued by true contenders this spring.

And: Bergy had better bloody well at least test what he could get for Pleks, who will now start his downward slide, but would be incredibly valuable to a contender this year.

Last edited by bsl: 11-16-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old
11-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Everyone talks about sign and trade, but they seem to be very rare in the nhl. I dont think that would be the intention at all.

The habs obviously like diaz more than I do.

Im getting increasingly concerned about the likelihood of signing markov. I fear that Diaz is going to stay in the top 4, markov leaves, and beaulieu/tinordi step in to a bigger role.

I am not thrilled with this approach.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:36 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Subban and Markov are eons ahead of Seidenberg and Chara offensively.
Aeons are a unit of time, not distance. I think you meant Light Years, which is a unit of distance, not time.

Last edited by bsl: 11-16-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old
11-15-2013, 11:41 PM
rockjngo

just saw the game, I must say Markov had a few shifts with Diaz and made Diaz look like an all star. How amazing when you take a mediocre defenceman paired him up with Markov and he look like a million dollar.

Old
11-15-2013, 11:55 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
Why? So we can lose him for nothing, something that people would whine about forever?

He has more value if we sign him before we ship him out of town. I don't understant how some people just want to let him walk, we're in no position to just lose assets for nothing, that would be terrible management. The only problem I have is that we could wait longer before signing him to see how he does in the next few months.
About time. 270 Posts before someone finally mentions that sign and trade if desired is possible, and that Diaz signed to a reasonable contract may be attractive to many teams. Jeezus.

Old
11-16-2013, 12:00 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Actually I've been saying for the past two years we need to upgrade on Gorges.
For the time being though, he's on our team.
I also agree. Gorges is not a top 4 D. Diaz is not the problem.

Bergy has to do something about Gorges at deadline or this summer.

Old
11-16-2013, 12:09 AM
MarkovsKnee

If we sign Diaz then we pretty much have to move Gorges, or else we're not signing Markov. Because with Subban's contract up too, we'd have Subban, Marky, Emelin, Gorges and Diaz all making big money. That also means one of Gorges or Diaz is actually our #5 d-man, which is fine, good depth and all that, but a #5 d-man at $3+million? No.

One of Diaz or Gorges has to go eventually.

Old
11-16-2013, 12:46 AM
4Beliveau

Judging by ice time, the coaching staff like him.

I think he fits the idea of the "efficient" d man. Like Hjarmalsson. I do question how effective he'll be in all those Leafs/Flyers/Bruins/Penguins playoff games we're sure to play in over the life of whatever contract he gets.

4 x 3.5 is my guess. But please let it be 3 x 2.5.

Old
11-16-2013, 05:16 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Its simple. You package Diaz with a prospect or a pick and find a trade partner for a more physical DMan who is not a liability when he has the puck.

GMs do this all the time.

Boston unloaded Seguin and they look pretty good still. For a team to get better, they have to address needs and be willing to trade assets to get assets. Staying put with a team that is not a threat to win a Cup will mean that next year we will be a team that is not a threat to win a Cup.

Not sure why there is such an attachment to players here. Everyone is tradeable and that is how you improve a team. Waiting on prospects to develop is what Edmonton is doing right now.
D + prospect for another D, I'd like you to give a few examples, and not just one or two since you started by saying it's simple...

Old
11-16-2013, 05:17 AM
DAChampion

Just because we sign Diaz to a 3-year contract paying 3 million per year doesn't mean we can't trade him.

Old
11-16-2013, 05:32 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
You and I diverge here LG. I see Markov as an effective 2nd pairing guy for 3 more years, maybe 4. I think he is in shape, and showing durability. A cerebral player who will last. I called this in the summer, and it looks to be happening.

Diaz can be signed and traded for a second at deadline, and easily replaced next year by Beaulieu or Nygren. Signing Diaz will increase his value at deadline.

In fact I think that is the plan.

I do agree with trading vets for youth and picks, as you know, but not Markov.

Gionta HAS to go at deadline for sure, and Moen should be moved to a contender as well. Both of these guys would be highly valued by true contenders this spring.

And: Bergy had better bloody well at least test what he could get for Pleks, who will now start his downward slide, but would be incredibly valuable to a contender this year.
Diaz is playing on our top 4, Beaulieu hasnt yet shown he can get a spot on a bottom pair and Nygren has yet to play a single NHL (reg. season) game.

easily ? really ?

Closed Thread