HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Leafs Peca done for the season??

Old
12-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Pascal

vCash: 500
Damn, so the Leafs won't get the chance to eliminate the Sens yet again this year.

I'll be glad if TO doesn't make the playoffs, they've played quite well vs us this year.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Good. Then you shouldn't have any trouble finding a quote.
I'm not going to waste an afternoon combing through Google to find quotes of over emotional coaches. Suffice to say Maurice went overboard, but it was an emotional reaction to losing a player. Players do it all the time, so do coaches.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Damn, so the Leafs won't get the chance to eliminate the Sens yet again this year.

I'll be glad if TO doesn't make the playoffs, they've played quite well vs us this year.
I doubt it'll matter. It'll take some catastrophic changing of the standings for us to meet up with the Leafs in the first round. I think we'll play the Rangers, to be honest.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecliptica View Post
I doubt it'll matter. It'll take some catastrophic changing of the standings for us to meet up with the Leafs in the first round. I think we'll play the Rangers, to be honest.
Could be the last year for all that though if the reported re-aligment is true. Leafs and Habs could be playoff rivals! Wouldn't that be something? I've been dying for it to happen since the '93 playoffs when we came so close!

Old
12-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

It will be a minor miracle if Peca returns this year.... Speedy recovery Mike

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
I'm not going to waste an afternoon combing through Google to find quotes of over emotional coaches. Suffice to say Maurice went overboard, but it was an emotional reaction to losing a player. Players do it all the time, so do coaches.
We've been through this before, you realize. Coaches do not say this all the time. You then claimed these sort of comments were everywhere. That's an untrue statement until you prove otherwise. If they were everywhere, as you claim, then you would not need to spend much time on Google as it is.

It was a classless statement on both their parts. It is not common for coaches or players to make these sort of classless statements. There's no real point in denying this unless you're willing to prove your point. And there's certainly no point in insulting my comment by calling it 'bullcrap' if you're unwilling to back your statements. That's the basis of trolling, you know.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
We've been through this before, you realize. Coaches do not say this all the time. You then claimed these sort of comments were everywhere. That's an untrue statement until you prove otherwise. If they were everywhere, as you claim, then you would not need to spend much time on Google as it is.

It was a classless statement on both their parts. It is not common for coaches or players to make these sort of classless statements. There's no real point in denying this unless you're willing to prove your point. And there's certainly no point in insulting my comment by calling it 'bullcrap' if you're unwilling to back your statements. That's the basis of trolling, you know.
Let me clarify. I agree that the comments were over the top. They didn't show a ton of class (although I don't think it's necessarily an indicator of their overall level of class). I'm just saying that the comments were made in the heat of the moment and were EMOTIONAL. Players and coaches make emotional comments like this almost ALL the time when something like this happens, even moreso when a player is hurt badly. I just think it's rather foolish to start saying that the comments were groundbreaking. Wrong yes, out of line, yes, completley new and only akin to Paul Maurice? Not even close.

Old
12-23-2006, 01:08 PM
znk

Quote:
Prove it. You claim that's bullcrap? Then back up your words: find me another coach who has made similar statements in that sort of situation.
LOL...come on man. We've seen and heard worst through the years.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
LOL...come on man. We've seen and heard worst through the years.
You're not understanding here. I'm saying they were classless comments, unecessary, and being in the heat of the moment is not an excuse; that unfortunate injuries such as this are common-place, and classless comments from coaches are not the norm as a response. I would say Gainey/Carbo would have more reason to say something regarding Williams after last year's playoff series, for example, and yet they didn't.

Do you understand now?

It has little to do with hearing/seeing worse, and more to do with it being classless and not excusable due to being 'in the heat of the moment'.

I really don't understand why I need to clarify these simple points.

Old
12-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
You're not understanding here. I'm saying they were classless comments, unecessary, and being in the heat of the moment is not an excuse; that unfortunate injuries such as this are common-place, and classless comments from coaches are not the norm as a response. I would say Gainey/Carbo would have more reason to say something regarding Williams after last year's playoff series, for example, and yet they didn't.

Do you understand now?

It has little to do with hearing/seeing worse, and more to do with it being classless and not excusable due to being 'in the heat of the moment'.

I agree that it's no excuse, I was simply contending with your earlier point of not remembering ever hearing anything worse from a coach.

Old
12-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Let me clarify. I agree that the comments were over the top. They didn't show a ton of class (although I don't think it's necessarily an indicator of their overall level of class). I'm just saying that the comments were made in the heat of the moment and were EMOTIONAL. Players and coaches make emotional comments like this almost ALL the time when something like this happens, even moreso when a player is hurt badly. I just think it's rather foolish to start saying that the comments were groundbreaking. Wrong yes, out of line, yes, completley new and only akin to Paul Maurice? Not even close.
Groundbreaking? No. But they're certainly not common. Players get cheapshotted regularly. Players get hurt regularly. Good to great players get hurt regularly. I don't even recall the last time a coach said such degrading remarks about a player's skill level when that had nothing to do with the incident itself. For you to claim it's so common, yet not being able to cite any incidents off the top of your head, also speaks to the rarity of this.

So no, it's not groundbreaking. And no, it doesn't and won't define Paul Maurice as a person, who, from all indications, is a nice chap. But they are classless comments that are rare in the league, in my opinion, and not excusable because they were said in the heat of the moment.

Old
12-23-2006, 01:17 PM
znk

Quote:

Do you understand now?

The difference here is the guy got a 5 minute penalty for attempt to injure. Not having seen the replay both Maurice and O'neil concluded that it was an intentional cheapshot. That's the context and it's alot different from Willimans's high stick last year.

I did not like the comments but I know where they're comming from. I seem to vagly remember in the last couple of years a time where hab players were commenting on an incident and saying that other guy was a 4th liner etc...etc.. Does anybody remember soemthing like that?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 05:21 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I saw the hit, it was so obviously not a cheapshot. It's what we call "accidents" (believe it or not, they do happen!).

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:02 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I saw the hit, it was so obviously not a cheapshot. It's what we call "accidents" (believe it or not, they do happen!).
Yeah I just saw it too, completely not a dirty hit. In fact, and it's too bad that Peca got injured on the play, but he stuck his own knee out! Vandermeer was leaning in for the check. It wasn't his fault.

12-23-2006, 07:20 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The difference here is the guy got a 5 minute penalty for attempt to injure. Not having seen the replay both Maurice and O'neil concluded that it was an intentional cheapshot. That's the context and it's alot different from Willimans's high stick last year.

I did not like the comments but I know where they're comming from. I seem to vagly remember in the last couple of years a time where hab players were commenting on an incident and saying that other guy was a 4th liner etc...etc.. Does anybody remember soemthing like that?
Hmm, problem here is Jim Vandermeer is no AHL - borderline NHL player at all. Imagine such comments were made on Francis Bouillon, for example.

What does the player status have to do with the injury ? As someone pointed out, would it have been better if Ovechkin injured Peca ?

I can understand Maurice and O'Neill talking trash on Vandermeer right after the game, but dismissing his hockey skills ? That's just moronic...

Finally and most importantly, get well, Mike.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote