HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Diaz close to signing an x-term contract!

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2013, 07:34 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
If we can get Diaz signed for under 3m I'm all for it. Underrated player on this board despite his complete softness.

Old
11-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Its simple. You package Diaz with a prospect or a pick and find a trade partner for a more physical DMan who is not a liability when he has the puck.

GMs do this all the time.

Boston unloaded Seguin and they look pretty good still. For a team to get better, they have to address needs and be willing to trade assets to get assets. Staying put with a team that is not a threat to win a Cup will mean that next year we will be a team that is not a threat to win a Cup.

Not sure why there is such an attachment to players here. Everyone is tradeable and that is how you improve a team. Waiting on prospects to develop is what Edmonton is doing right now.
Ok, here's the issue I see. Many post that he is terrible defensively, soft and at approx 3M, overpaid. So what GM is going to trade you a big physical dman for that? What prospect do you give up?

Keep in mind, the team is adding a big physical shutdown dman today, so Diaz gets moved down to 3rd pair with 2nd wave PP duties, exactly where he belongs.

I have zero attachment to Diaz, and feel that Beaulieu can replace him by the deadline so that makes Diaz a tradeable asset worth a pick (2nd, 3rd)

And lets be clear, a cap next year of 68-70M means that 3M is 0.04% of that cap, rather affordable.

Old
11-16-2013, 07:48 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
If we sign Diaz then we pretty much have to move Gorges, or else we're not signing Markov. Because with Subban's contract up too, we'd have Subban, Marky, Emelin, Gorges and Diaz all making big money. That also means one of Gorges or Diaz is actually our #5 d-man, which is fine, good depth and all that, but a #5 d-man at $3+million? No.

One of Diaz or Gorges has to go eventually.
Once Diaz signs, we'll have 2 bottom pairing dmen making $3M+

Old
11-16-2013, 07:50 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Ok. Tell us how you could upgrade the D.
By not re-signing him.

I'd take my chances with Beaulieu and/or Tinordi stepping in.

Old
11-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Halifaxhab*

Wow. Most of you must wear hard hats all the time when you're outside......I haven't seen so many chicken littles in one place.

Old
11-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
By not re-signing him.

I'd take my chances with Beaulieu and/or Tinordi stepping in.
I have no issues trading him off and letting them play....if they've earned it.

But seriously, a playerr making 0.04% of a teams cap is tradeable. And RH PMDs, even a lesser one are always a trade asset.

Old
11-16-2013, 08:51 AM
le_sean

He looked real good when he made an errant pass under no pressure with 3 minutes left in a tied game. Forced the team to take a timeout and Columbus almost scored on the ensuing play. Can't wait to have him for more years!

Old
11-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Bob Cole

why why why why why why

bergevin is clueless

Old
11-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Another thing that really ****ing bugs me is that we are even entertaining the thought of extending Diaz when Subban hasn't signed yet.

Diaz shouldn't be re-signed but if MB is going to continue with his rookie mistakes of falling in love with his players, he should be locking up PK before even thinking about god damn Diaz. Jesus.
Same goes for Markov. Diaz should be at the bottom of the signing list.

Old
11-16-2013, 09:02 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Once Diaz signs, we'll have 2 bottom pairing dmen making $3M+

Gorges a bottom pairing defenceman? are you serious?

Old
11-16-2013, 09:09 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Gorges is a 4-5-6 kinda guy, but be honest, he hasn't played wll since signing for3.9M he jst hasn't...

Old
11-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Habs

Kick Diaz to the curb, send Josh with him please.

Old
11-16-2013, 10:43 AM
rockjngo

This is a game of mistakes and gorges doesn't make many despite fans calling for his head. He has virtually no acceleration and is slow. However he does what is expected for a bottom pair defenseman. I don't think it's wise to resign Diaz. He's undersized and often can't make up his mind with the puck. I definitely won't resign him for over $3million. With Subban up to cash in, we need the money for Markov. I expect us to test the ufa market in the summer to fill out our top 4 Subban Markov Emelin

Old
11-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I have no issues trading him off and letting them play....if they've earned it.

But seriously, a playerr making 0.04% of a teams cap is tradeable. And RH PMDs, even a lesser one are always a trade asset.
There's no reason to sign him.
He did it with DD and it was a mistake. He did it with Emelin when he hasn't even played a game yet since injuring himself, that could easily become a mistake too, and I don't see the discount Emelin has given us by getting a 4year deal before returning.

Now with Diaz, again, there's just no rush to extend him, none. So why do it a month into the hockey season? Let's wait, let's see where we stand half year, let's see how Diaz progresses, let's see what other teams are in need of, let's just wait and freaking see.
Sure, signing him doesn't mean we can't trade him, but if we don't it does mean having him for next 3 years. Staying with the current status quo is just bad.
Even if Bergevin is banking on Tinordi/Beaulieu stepping up, there's nothing wrong in improving the team. If we have a bunch of #3-4D fighting for the same spot, then it only gives us assets to trade. I just don't see Diaz having a great value.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There's no reason to sign him.
He did it with DD and it was a mistake. He did it with Emelin when he hasn't even played a game yet since injuring himself, that could easily become a mistake too, and I don't see the discount Emelin has given us by getting a 4year deal before returning.

Now with Diaz, again, there's just no rush to extend him, none. So why do it a month into the hockey season? Let's wait, let's see where we stand half year, let's see how Diaz progresses, let's see what other teams are in need of, let's just wait and freaking see.
Sure, signing him doesn't mean we can't trade him, but if we don't it does mean having him for next 3 years. Staying with the current status quo is just bad.
Even if Bergevin is banking on Tinordi/Beaulieu stepping up, there's nothing wrong in improving the team. If we have a bunch of #3-4D fighting for the same spot, then it only gives us assets to trade. I just don't see Diaz having a great value.
I don't mind the Emelin signing because he's clearly a difference maker, and he has something that the team needs badly. Diaz brings literally nothing to table except being utterly average. Locking him up just impedes the promotion of younger more talented D like Tinordi and Beaulieu and even Nygren. There's really no point of doing this.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:38 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion
Just because we sign Diaz to a 3-year contract paying 3 million per year doesn't mean we can't trade him.
Indeed, a player like him might have surprising value. Just looking at what Goligoski returned is mind boggling.

Thats why I'm OK that we re-sign him, I just don't think he'll stay for a long time. Hopefully Bergevin inks a good contract to ''up'' is value a little more and trade him at the right time.

Old
11-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Ok, here's the issue I see. Many post that he is terrible defensively, soft and at approx 3M, overpaid. So what GM is going to trade you a big physical dman for that? What prospect do you give up?

Keep in mind, the team is adding a big physical shutdown dman today, so Diaz gets moved down to 3rd pair with 2nd wave PP duties, exactly where he belongs.

I have zero attachment to Diaz, and feel that Beaulieu can replace him by the deadline so that makes Diaz a tradeable asset worth a pick (2nd, 3rd)

And lets be clear, a cap next year of 68-70M means that 3M is 0.04% of that cap, rather affordable.
4 %, not .04%.

Old
11-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He looked real good when he made an errant pass under no pressure with 3 minutes left in a tied game. Forced the team to take a timeout and Columbus almost scored on the ensuing play. Can't wait to have him for more years!
Did you catch Captain Kelowna's 3 panic moves in the final 8 minutes? Watching him and Diaz under pressure is driving me to drink .

Old
11-16-2013, 04:45 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

I could do an exercise in futility and combine Diaz with every prospect that we have and then combine them in multiple packages with different picks and then go down the list of teams who have players who could help our backend and put all of this down on a spreadsheet along with CapGeek numbers and implications to the future of the Canadiens organization for the next decade.

And it would be irrelevant and an exercise in futility because regardless of what I say and propose, Bergevin has the last word.

So I will sum it up by saying that the Habs can do better than Diaz on the blueline. And to improve a team, GMs trade assets pretty much every season.

Hope this helps.

Old
11-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Spearmint Rhino

I'm not a Diaz hater but now that we've re-signed Tank and rumours Markov is coming back I don't see the need especially with the D prospects we have

His cap hit concerns me a bit but bigger picture is we need a top 6 RW more than anything and he could be used in a package to acquire

Old
11-16-2013, 05:04 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I like Diaz, he's a solid puck moving dman, but I'd rather save a spot for a rookie and give that money to sign a stud forward.

Old
11-16-2013, 05:07 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I like Diaz, he's a solid puck moving dman, but I'd rather save a spot for a rookie and give that money to sign a stud forward.
How many stud forwards will make it to UFA, and after that, which ones are you confident we can outbid everyone else for?

Old
11-17-2013, 07:58 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
How many stud forwards will make it to UFA, and after that, which ones are you confident we can outbid everyone else for?
I hope Bergevin will try to sign Matt Moulson.

Old
11-17-2013, 08:02 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
He's good at blocking shots and good at positionning, which makes him a good PK d-man. He's not very good at nothing else, and that is exactly what you ask of a #5-#6 (and #7) d-man.

If Habs want to win a cup sunday, they have to think like a team who want to win the cup. Gorges is the perfect #6 d-man for such team.

Old
11-17-2013, 08:29 AM
Bryson

Habs need an upgrade on Gorges or another Top 4 d-man. This is not debatable. Status quo is not going to win us a stanley cup sorry folks.

Closed Thread