HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can someone tell Subban to stop over complicating things?

Old
11-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
Can someone tell Subban to stop over complicating things?

These dangles between the skates, these rushes when the crowd cheers him that are absolutely unnecessary, these dekes when he gets rid of an opponent chasing him. He wasn't doing that last year. Now we have shades of Subban from his rookie year, trying to do too much by himself instead of keeping it clean and simple.

Lately, he's been slapping a lot more than he used to. People knows how dangerous his slapshot is and usually, when he'd see them positioned to block it, he'd just blast a wrister straight to the net or fake a shot then pass to create a chance. He's become predictable the last few games, just like he was a few years ago. He does to many complicated things that are flashy and simply ineffective. I was amazed by how fast and simple was his game like years, he was always doing the smart thing instead of the flashy one. It's been the exact opposite for a few games.

His game had matured when he won his Norris but now it's regressed. Don't get me wrong, he's much better than two years ago as his rushes actually work now but what's the point of doing them if nobody can complete? As a dman, he can't shoot often after rushing the puck up the ice because if he does and the goalie gives a rebound, it opens the team up to an odd man rush and he doesn't want that.

Why can't he just shoot the puck when he has to, protect it and just pass when there is no option to shoot? He can protect a puck like almost no one in the league but when doing the fancy dekes, he often ends up losing it or the player chasing him closes in and pokes it away.

You don't have to impress us Subban. Just play like you did last year or at the beginning of the year.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
These dangles between the skates, these rushes when the crowd cheers him that are absolutely unnecessary, these dekes when he gets rid of an opponent chasing him. He wasn't doing that last year. Now we have shades of Subban from his rookie year, trying to do too much by himself instead of keeping it clean and simple.

Lately, he's been slapping a lot more than he used to. People knows how dangerous his slapshot is and usually, when he'd see them positioned to block it, he'd just blast a wrister straight to the net or fake a shot then pass to create a chance. He's become predictable the last few games, just like he was a few years ago. He does to many complicated things that are flashy and simply ineffective. I was amazed by how fast and simple was his game like years, he was always doing the smart thing instead of the flashy one. It's been the exact opposite for a few games.

His game had matured when he won his Norris but now it's regressed. Don't get me wrong, he's much better than two years ago as his rushes actually work now but what's the point of doing them if nobody can complete? As a dman, he can't shoot often after rushing the puck up the ice because if he does and the goalie gives a rebound, it opens the team up to an odd man rush and he doesn't want that.

Why can't he just shoot the puck when he has to, protect it and just pass when there is no option to shoot? He can protect a puck like almost no one in the league but when doing the fancy dekes, he often ends up losing it or the player chasing him closes in and pokes it away.

You don't have to impress us Subban. Just play like you did last year or at the beginning of the year.
What the **** dude, you must be new here? Subban has been doing this for years. I'm sorry but I stopped reading there.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:56 AM
hardcorehabs

Michel is that you?

hardcorehabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorehabs View Post
Michel is that you?
Lol exactly what I was thinking...

Like MT sent agents to save the poor fans out of their way. We need Salvation from Subban cause he will bring this franchise to new lows.

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Baloney . Subbans effectiveness is in his unpredictability and deception. The puck can't go in the net on every play. When Pk makes any move that draws attention to himself is a play that frees up another player and that usually means more chances to score.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:08 AM
dutchy29

yep absolutely love Subban, really one of the players on this team you don't have to worry about, if anything he should be getting more ice time, and from the media scrutiny surrounding this guy constantly since coming into the league we don't need our own fans scrutinizing him, norris trophy.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:12 AM
ArtPeur

Hey OP, have you seen the part when PK leaves the penalty box in the 3rd? Someone passes him the puck and he rushes/deke to the goalie, 2-3 players were rushing him then Subban passes through them to Eller who's by himself and can't shoot.

He's sometimes risky but that's what I like from him

ArtPeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Yeah Subban, stop being so awesome. You might not succeed 100% of the time and the 1% that you screw up will really piss off some posters on HF Boards.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:16 AM
hersky77

PK is the only reason why this team creates scoring chances. And the only reason they end up being created is by the risks he takes.

The team looks lost out their offensively when he is not on the ice.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorehabs View Post
Michel is that you?
As I read it, I was thinking the same thing...the Sens let Karlsson play, and we seem to stifle Pk's play...

He's a high risk high reward kind of player, glad to have him on the Habs!! He does a ton of good, compared to the odd gaffe, or penalty.

Let the thouroughbred run!!!!

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Baloney . Subbans effectiveness is in his unpredictability and deception. The puck can't go in the net on every play. When Pk makes any move that draws attention to himself is a play that frees up another player and that usually means more chances to score.
Not only that, but he will often rush in at the end of a 1min+ shift, dangle everyone and take a shot which results either in a nice juicy rebound, a goal (not as often i'll admit) or an offensive zone face off. It's win-win-win, at WORST, we get to send fresh forces in the offensive zone.

It drives me completely nuts that many of our so called fans want to see our coaching staff turn PK into something he's not instead of relying on what makes him so special. What he needs if anything is a coach that will let him loose and help him take that style of playing to the next level, not the other way around.

We have an exciting player that can dangle an entire team, but nooooooo, let's have him be a ****ing robot.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Mrb1p

OP put it badly.

But fact is that Subban can play much better. (By being is overcomplicated self, please.)

He's not playing himself right now and it looks like he's holding back too much I would say. When was the last time he rushed to the net ? Instead of stopping at the blue line ? When was the last time he went for a huge check?

Someone is trying to change P.K. in some kind of Lidstrom. He's not lidstrom and he never will be. Work with his strength. P.K. is much like Ovechkin and Malkin, see what happens when you try to change them or hold them back.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:24 AM
The EGG Line

Can someone tell Montreal Shadow to stop writing stupid posts?

Subban is that kind of player. People need to stop wanting to change him. It's part of his game. We've wanted a player like him for ages - we finally have one and we have people like you complaining.

Habs fans for you.

The EGG Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
As I read it, I was thinking the same thing...the Sens let Karlsson play, and we seem to stifle Pk's play...

He's a high risk high reward kind of player, glad to have him on the Habs!! He does a ton of good, compared to the odd gaffe, or penalty.

Let the thouroughbred run!!!!
Sure he's high risk high reward, but wouldn't you rather he was little less risky? Nothing wrong with that. He got to be responsible defensively - less give aways for sure....

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Big Lurk

But its true that he cranks his slapper way more that he did last year, he's back to the mega wind up, and its not as efficient (imo anyway)

Big Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:43 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
OP put it badly.

But fact is that Subban can play much better. (By being is overcomplicated self, please.)

He's not playing himself right now and it looks like he's holding back too much I would say. When was the last time he rushed to the net ? Instead of stopping at the blue line ? When was the last time he went for a huge check?

Someone is trying to change P.K. in some kind of Lidstrom. He's not lidstrom and he never will be. Work with his strength. P.K. is much like Ovechkin and Malkin, see what happens when you try to change them or hold them back.
outside the bodychecks, he's pretty much playing like he did previous seasons.

the thing he needs to learn (he will, with experience) is how to manage the games, like when to take risks and when to play safer...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Tyson

I agree that he does try to do too much and it could cost him a spot on the Olympic team. The kid is an amazing talent that is still developing.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

This isn't Josh Gorges where keeping it simple is best for the team. Subban is the key to almost all offense on the Habs and carries ES possession. Hopefully he does it more and more then continues to learn and adapt. At the start of the season he was doing it a lot and it was the best I've seen him play in a Habs jersey. Predictably, Habs stifle him and he's regressed to the point he's not even as good as he was in 11/12 where he was given top PK minutes, key ES minutes, and key shutdown roles. He's over-thinking and oversimplifying, his effectiveness dropped significantly and he struggled defensively at times. His 'fancy' plays draw so much attention and it helps the Habs maintain zone time while putting the opposition out of position.

Habs have plenty of low risk taking simple play D. Perhaps the lack of high level talent on the team so long has people too used to the 'keep it simple' players.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:57 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

the thing he needs to learn (he will, with experience) is how to manage the games, like when to take risks and when to play safer...
I feel like the first 5 games of the season he was playing even better offensivly. Seems like he's hesitant to shoot at 5v5, but maybe that's just me.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:

He's really not doing it. He's overthinking like someone is holding him back.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:03 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
This isn't Josh Gorges where keeping it simple is best for the team. Subban is the key to almost all offense on the Habs and carries ES possession. Hopefully he does it more and more then continues to learn and adapt. At the start of the season he was doing it a lot and it was the best I've seen him play in a Habs jersey. Predictably, Habs stifle him and he's regressed to the point he's not even as good as he was in 11/12 where he was given top PK minutes, key ES minutes, and key shutdown roles. He's over-thinking and oversimplifying, his effectiveness dropped significantly and he struggled defensively at times. His 'fancy' plays draw so much attention and it helps the Habs maintain zone time while putting the opposition out of position.

Habs have plenty of low risk taking simple play D. Perhaps the lack of high level talent on the team so long has people too used to the 'keep it simple' players.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Let PK play. Let him use his skills. What happened to Ovechkin when they tried to tame him? Yeah. Sometimes you just need to let the talent speak for itself and not try to make players something they aren't.

Are the Sens trying to turn Erik Karlsson into Adam Foote? No. Half the time he's below the offensive zone hash marks FFS.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Outside of becoming even better at getting pucks on net, decision making on what type of shots are better, and playmaking decisions in offensive zone, all which he he improved significantly from 11/12 to 12/13, I think the rest of his game has been pretty stagnant at best if not worse than 11/12.

It's sad because the coaching staff just doesn't think he has the ability to ever do it rather than trying to develop him into an all situation D like any other team would. They rather risk having players who regularly screw up simple plays than have someone who might screw up doing something more risky.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Let PK play. Let him use his skills. What happened to Ovechkin when they tried to tame him? Yeah. Sometimes you just need to let the talent speak for itself and not try to make players something they aren't.

Are the Sens trying to turn Erik Karlsson into Adam Foote? No. Half the time he's below the offensive zone hash marks FFS.
That's because their management appreciates his talent and impact on the team. Bobby Orr had a great quote:

Quote:
“I want to say one thing about the coach and whoever is allowing him to do this and I’ve been saying this forever: You get a guy who can skate like that, let him go, for gawd’s sakes,” said Orr. “He’ll get caught. I got caught. The players understand how he plays. They accept it. He’s fast enough to get back a lot of times. You have kids coming along where (the coach says) shoot the puck up the glass and shoot it in. The coach is letting (Karlsson) do it and since they’ve allowed him to do it, this kid has been unbelievable. But, let him do it. That’s how he is most effective. Is he gonna make mistakes? Yup. Is he gonna get caught? Yup. But the pluses are going to outweigh the minuses. There are probably some coaches who wouldn’t let him go like he does. They let me go. They let Coffey go. I couldn’t imagine playing any other way and I can’t imagine young Erik playing any other way, either.”
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/03/17/...rlsson-booster

We happen to have one of those coaching staffs that won't let studs be studs (and publicly **** on him no less ). What can we do.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lurk View Post
But its true that he cranks his slapper way more that he did last year, he's back to the mega wind up, and its not as efficient (imo anyway)
Lol PK's slapper has never changed, he's always done it the same way

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Shaby23

Quote:

Ewwwwwwwww no please. Might also tell Karlsson the same thing?

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote