HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov wants to stay in Montreal and wants one more contract

Old
11-16-2013, 12:33 AM
goman

vCash: 500
I think he could get 3 years from someone on the open market. Hamrlik got 2.

The 3rd might be difficult, but he says he only wants one more contract.
The other thing to consider is maybe he doesn't want 3 years, maybe he really only wants 2.

That said, if he really wanted 3 years I would give it to him, he's earned it I think. I don't know how much of a paycut he'll take, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he signs for the same amount.

He signed 4 x 5.75, then 3 x 5.75, maybe he'll sign 2 x 5.75 and then 1 x 5.75. I could see it happening.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Rock On

Again, if true for THE last contract, why would Markov retire at 37 ? It doesn't make sense. A dman of his caliber can be effective in a top 4 role until they reach 40. Why lose 2 or 3 years when you can earn many millions a year ?

IF it's something he really wants, he want MINIMUM 4 years.

Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:17 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock On View Post
Again, if true for THE last contract, why would Markov retire at 37 ? It doesn't make sense. A dman of his caliber can be effective in a top 4 role until they reach 40. Why lose 2 or 3 years when you can earn many millions a year ?

IF it's something he really wants, he want MINIMUM 4 years.
not everyone is Chris Chelios there bud

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:46 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynickname View Post
Anything is possible. Glen Wesley did it. He was trade from Car to TOR and signed with Caroline in the summer......
What is your solution to getting the team bigger and better in 2 to 3 years???
Keith Tkachuk did it, going to the Thrashers then returning to the Blues. Doug Weight was also sent to the Hurricanes by the Blues, then re-signed with them that summer.

Mark Recchi, that same year, was traded to the Hurricanes by Pittsburgh, won a Cup along with Weight, then re-signed with the Pens.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:50 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Keith Tkachuk did it, going to the Thrashers then returning to the Blues. Doug Weight was also sent to the Hurricanes by the Blues, then re-signed with them that summer.

Mark Recchi, that same year, was traded to the Hurricanes by Pittsburgh, won a Cup along with Weight, then re-signed with the Pens.
while true, still doesnt change the fact that a majority dont come back

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post

It's possible. You can't bank on it but sure we could do it.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I think some people need to brace themselves for the Markov signing . From some of what I've read here the "I'd give him" proposals are not realistic. Markov is in a good situation to call the shots for himself and I don't think Bergevin has realistic choices. Without Markov this team goes dramatically towards the basement offensively.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:15 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
In their prime, they were very similar players both offensively and defensively. They played the same kind of game. It was not night and day at all. Montreal fans like to believe this but it's simply not true. Very similar players.

Leaf fans back in the day described Kaberle's play exactly the same way you did for Markov - verbatim.
Lol Please. Kaberle never held a candle to Markov's defensive game. Always soft and tentative in his own zone. Not that Markov was more physical but he won't cough up the puct at the first signs of forecheck like Kaberle.

Leafs fans were dreaming. Proof - one is still playing at a high caliber and the other is out of an NHL job.

Quote:
He looked slow at the end of last year and wasn't very good this season in the few games that he played without Subban. If he isn't playing with PK he'll be exposed.

He's still got great talent and can still run a PP better than anyone. But nobody can reverse the aging effect. 34 is right around the age where you see the effects of decline. Some players (Lidstrom) can play at a high level forever but they are the exception not the rule. People who think that Markov is going to do this aren't being realistic. We're ALREADY seeing decline in his game
I cut him some slack last year since it was his first season back. Thought he struggled a bit but it was expected. This year, he's solid and I havent seen any dependency on Subban . The man can hold his own

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:18 AM
BLONG7

Markov will stay guys, probably a 3-4 yr deal...money, who knows, probably a 5.0M avg...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Lol Please. Kaberle never held a candle to Markov's defensive game. Always soft and tentative in his own zone. Not that Markov was more physical but he won't cough up the puct at the first signs of forecheck like Kaberle.
Yeah right... Kaberle was a train wreck and Markov was a God. This is *********. Leaf fans would tell you the same thing about Kaberle that you're saying about Markov. Smart player, played the angles, didn't make mistakes etc... And for the most part they'd be right.

Neither of these guys were great defensively. They weren't physical, played the puck instead of the man, would cough up the puck under pressure. Neither were a liability but they weren't great. What made both of these guys good was how they played with the puck. They could skate the puck out of trouble, great lead passes... Both were good blueliners but very similar.
Quote:
Leafs fans were dreaming.
But Hab fans see things without bias? Okay...
Quote:
Proof - one is still playing at a high caliber and the other is out of an NHL job.
All this shows is that some players decline earlier than others. And your post reinforces my argument that we should trade high on Markov.
Quote:
I cut him some slack last year since it was his first season back. Thought he struggled a bit but it was expected. This year, he's solid and I havent seen any dependency on Subban . The man can hold his own
He's still very good. But he needs to be paired with somebody who can handle the defensive side of the ledger. Maybe Emelin is the guy for the job. We'll see. But PK makes Markov look a lot better than he is not the other way around.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:33 AM
BLONG7

Just curious guys, if MB can get Markov to take a bit of a hometown discount, would PK follow? Probably, or not?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Dekar

Quote:

Leafs fans were dreaming. Proof - one is still playing at a high caliber and the other is out of an NHL job.

Except he was more physical. A LOT more physical. No one seems to remember how rough Markov was before his knee injuries.

It's a shame there's not much footage on YT, but this is a good start:

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:54 AM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Just curious guys, if MB can get Markov to take a bit of a hometown discount, would PK follow? Probably, or not?
PK already gave the team his discount. He has earned the right to really make bank now. I'd love it if he 'only' took $7M per on a long term deal but I won't count on it.

Plus, what a 35-yr old guy on the tail end of his career does is probably not going to be as relevant to Subban given that PK is going to be looking for his first really big contract.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:11 PM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
while true, still doesnt change the fact that a majority dont come back
I think with Markov he really only wants to play in Canada and for the Canadiens. I think he would do this for the Habs if MB sold him on the idea. Markov wold have a chance at winning the cup and than coming back to MTL.

I am not being naive about what Markov means to this team. We do still need him until the guys in the AHL can play at the NHL level.....But MTL is stuck in the middle of the NHL...always a boarder line playoff team, not going forward.
When your stuck like this you have to take 2 steps backwards so you really can move towards the top.
We need to acquire bigger and better 3rd and 4th liners and Markov is one asset that can bring us that. Teams will give us prospect for Markov along with picks......and I really hope he would sign back with us in the summer on a 2 or 3 year contract and after that we go year by year in signing him back.

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:21 PM
penalty shot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Last year's fade-out gives pause. Not convinced he can keep the current pace, his minutes will have to be managed.

I too am skeptical that there is a window of post-season excellence in the next coupe of years. His injury history makes him a ticking time-bomb, in parallel with his declining years.

Perhaps he could be a decent short-term signing, if the numbers make sense. More than likely, he might be gunning for a final big payday -- not sure we should be the ones giving it to him. We should really take stock of what the market has to offer and keep reminding ourselves that we may be dodging a bullet and that we have a slew of young defensemen who will be knocking at the door very shortly.
well put he was worn out by years end , I see the same this year

penalty shot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:27 PM
FF de Mars

If we trade Markov, it better be for a blue chip prospect, not for a late 1st and some scrap. I'd much rather hold on to the general for the next 4 years. For ex, I would have traded him last year for Philip Forsberg when the Caps put him on the market in order to get a Dman. I wouldn't like it if we traded Markov for a late 1st and a player like Christian Thomas.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:32 PM
poetryinmotion

Markov's value is at its peak right now. We'd get a hefty return for someone that's a few years away from retirement.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Rock On

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
not everyone is Chris Chelios there bud
Of course, playing in the NHL at 47 years old hapenned to only him and Gordie Howe as far as I know. I don't see how it is related to Markov. I never said that would happen.

If Bouillon can play bottom pairing minutes at 38, there's no way Makov won't be able to play top 4 at 40. A player never lose his hockey sense while aging. He won't be as good though

Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:39 PM
boynickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
If we trade Markov, it better be for a blue chip prospect, not for a late 1st and some scrap. I'd much rather hold on to the general for the next 4 years. For ex, I would have traded him last year for Philip Forsberg when the Caps put him on the market in order to get a Dman. I wouldn't like it if we traded Markov for a late 1st and a player like Christian Thomas.
I hear you.......If MB works hard and starts calling X, Y and Z GM every day like a nagging house wife he will win on the trades. MB needs to be persistent and out work the other GM's....that is what the best GM"s do.
You want your players to work hard you need to set the example... and you got to show them this by bringing in guys that will help them win a cup.

MB START WORKING HARDER ON MAKING THIS TEAM BETTER AND STOP WORRING HOW YOU LOOK!!!

boynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:40 PM
billy piton

Our young core (price, subban, galchenyuk, eller, gallagher, pacioretty, emelin) is about to break out and some of those guy are already there.

Why not to try what can they do next two or three years?

Trading markov for picks and prospects would kill any hope of doing anything significant for at least two-three years. Markov is a top pairing d-man and elite ppqb and it would be next
to impossible to find a replacement for god knows how long.

And, it's not like our prospect pool is empty so there is a pressing need to trade markov. Late 1st pick and b-prospect won't make us contender. Trading markov would make us big time non-contender for next few years and maybe some more.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:02 PM
HCH

Quote:
In their prime, they were very similar players both offensively and defensively. They played the same kind of game. It was not night and day at all. Montreal fans like to believe this but it's simply not true. Very similar players.
Maybe their points stats are similar but it ends there. Markov has always been a battler while Kaberle was an opportunist whose shot wouldn't break a pane of glass. Markov's passes are like rifle shots while Kaberle passes always seemed to run out of energy just as the got to his teammate. I don't think Kaberle could find the corner of rink with a map AND a GPS whereas Markov has always fought hard for the puck in all situations and in all parts of the rink. Saying they are comparable is just wrong.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:14 PM
billy piton

Not to mention that markov has a way better shot.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 06:05 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Yeah right... Kaberle was a train wreck and Markov was a God. This is *********. Leaf fans would tell you the same thing about Kaberle that you're saying about Markov. Smart player, played the angles, didn't make mistakes etc... And for the most part they'd be right.
The ****? I never said Markov didn't make mistakes. All I'm saying is that Markov was miles above Kaberle defensivley. They were made comparable due to similar offensive output but defensively it wasn't even close. Something that Leaf fans knew this but never admitted to it and something that Habs fans found out first hand when Kaberle played in Montreal.

Quote:
Neither of these guys were great defensively. They weren't physical, played the puck instead of the man, would cough up the puck under pressure. Neither were a liability but they weren't great. What made both of these guys good was how they played with the puck. They could skate the puck out of trouble, great lead passes... Both were good blueliners but very similar.
No. If you think Markov is defensively mediocre or coughed the puck under pressure, then you need to watch him play more. There's a reason why Montreal absolutely crumbled without him.

Quote:
All this shows is that some players decline earlier than others. And your post reinforces my argument that we should trade high on Markov.
No. All this shows is that Kaberle wasn't all that he was made out to be. They called it the Kaberle sweepstakes when he was on the trading block and sucked balls in Boston in the same year. Kaberle didn't decline. He was exposed.

Quote:
He's still very good. But he needs to be paired with somebody who can handle the defensive side of the ledger. Maybe Emelin is the guy for the job. We'll see. But PK makes Markov look a lot better than he is not the other way around.
I've seen PK get bailed out by Markov more than the other way around. Anywayz, I think they mutually benefit from each other's presence but in no way do I believe or seen that PK is carrying Markov in that pairing.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Edgy

Quote:
Neither of these guys were great defensively. They weren't physical, played the puck instead of the man,
Markov was never great defensively? Your definition for great and defense doesn't seem to be what everyone else understands it.

Quote:
would cough up the puck under pressure. Neither were a liability but they weren't great.
How does the above quote not contradict the below?

Quote:
What made both of these guys good was how they played with the puck. They could skate the puck out of trouble, great lead passes... Both were good blueliners but very similar.
Markov and Kaberle are similar?! In what world? I get you don't like Markov, but comparing him to Kaberle is beyond selling him short not to mention extremely disingenuous.

Quote:
Really now, you're just goading people into continuing with an inane argument so you could throw more inflammatory comments.

Praising Markov does not take away anything from Subban, one does not thrive at the expense of the other. The blind hate for Markov is uncalled for and completely unjustified.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 07:10 PM
RC51

the way that MB is handing out contracts, I don't know if Markov will be back. Habs can't keep 6 dmen at 4-8million per. Bouillion, Murry and Drewiske hav to be gone for Beaulieu and Tinordi. Markov for 2 years at 4.5 is my guess. Gionta must be gone for a bigger guy. Eller needs a raise to a 2 year 2.6 mil. Bournival needs to stay. some might be traded if possible . This would leave MB some room because the cap goes up.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote