HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Fri., Nov. 15, 2013|Flyers 2 at Jets 3 (SO)

Old
11-16-2013, 01:12 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Someone fill me in please! I need a full report, no matter what. I promise I won't get mad.
Jets were all over the Flyers for the first 5 minutes. Mason made some big stops to keep the game scoreless. A little later Byfuglien scored on a PP, bad line change by Flyers, Buff came streaking down the right wing and scored short side (Buff did a bow and arrow celebration).

The Flyers rebounded quickly when Harthell scored on a wrap around. And later they took the lead on a PP goal from Simmonds after a scramble in front.

Scoreless second period.

Like the beginning of the first, the Jets took it to the Flyers for most of the third period. After a couple of no calls on the Flyers, the refs called Downie for a penalty and Buff scored again with a bomb from the point. Mason appeared to be screened by Kimmo. Oh, and Byfuglien did a cool () little dance at center ice.

Forgot to mention, the Flyers had a PP while still leadinig 2-1 in the third and didn't do anything on it.

Flyers were the better team in OT and had some great chances to win, including a 2 on 1 down low that resulted in Pavelec making a nice save on Coburn.

The shootout was typical. Shooters for Flyers were Lecavalier, Giroux, Read, Schenn, and Timonen (yes, Timonen). Mason gave them a chance to win in the shootout after making a few saves but besides Giroux, no one could score.

That took me entirely too long to write. Hopefully it wasn't too confusing. Maybe someone else could fill in the parts I left out.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Thanks!

Timonen in the shootout is an interesting decision.

11-16-2013, 02:01 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

A win would have been nice but I will take 7 out of 8 points at this stage.
Jets are the kings of the shootout so expected to lose.

Last edited by OzFlyer: 11-16-2013 at 03:26 AM.
OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 03:38 AM
dawkins121

I remember kimmo being pretty good in the all star shootout competition a few years ago. Gotta love how actual games are decided by something in the all star skills night

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 04:52 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
Did anyone else just laugh and say screw it when Timonen was announced the shooter like I did?
Yes, I actually did.
And at the same time I was desperately trying to come up with a forward's name who could do a better job other than the guys who had already gone but couldn't grab one. Apart from Giroux, Read and maybe Lecavalier nobody is even half decent in a one on one.

As for the whole Big Buff talk: who would not want a defenseman who can play 30min a night and score goals if the price was right?
On a side note Enström who is a complete different type of hockey player but just as valuable played 29minutes and seemed to fly out
there.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 06:11 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Yes, I actually did.
And at the same time I was desperately trying to come up with a forward's name who could do a better job other than the guys who had already gone but couldn't grab one. Apart from Giroux, Read and maybe Lecavalier nobody is even half decent in a one on one.

As for the whole Big Buff talk: who would not want a defenseman who can play 30min a night and score goals if the price was right?
On a side note Enström who is a complete different type of hockey player but just as valuable played 29minutes and seemed to fly out
there.
They should have had Hartnell do his shootout/run into the goalie shot. Would have had Pavelec on his heels for the rest of the shooters. LOL!

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 110
Just watched the Kimmo shoot out attempt, that was quite bad, he shot like those Timbit kids do during the intermissions in their mini games

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
I give Timonen's shootout attempt 3 1/2 Couturier shrugs

Hahaha, I hope this becomes a thing.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Yes, I actually did.

there.
Enstrom is how kimmo used to look.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
yuck.

11-16-2013, 09:22 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Enstrom is how kimmo used to look.
Enstrom is much faster than Kimmo ever was. Timonen was better in every other aspect of the game though.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:52 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Coburn looked like Bobby Orr in overtime. If only he could've buried one of his chances.

Oh well. Another good game from Mason. I hope the Flyers "sitting back" in the third was them just being tired and didn't want to be burned by the Jets quickness.

And just wondering, since TCN didn't show a replay of the Downie penalty, was it a bad call/make up call or was it legitimate?
Bobby ore? He got lucky to have the puck find him and he did **** with his 4-5 chances.

Why did we keep going five hole? We put kimo out there? It was obvious we needed deeks to beat him. We should have had simmer or jake.

I hope we were just tired because we really can't be sitting back like that.

I thought downie and couts looked a little sub par.

And finally thank god we have Steve mason. Another great trade by homer.

All together great road trip and look to get a win at home Tuesday.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:44 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I am pure kryptonite I've decided at live games. At least now I'm 0-9 and 1

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:50 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I noticed our passing was crisp last night, and our forwards were supporting the defense well. I've liked what I've seen of Rinaldo on the PK so far, albeit a small sample size. He hasn't gone out of the way for a hit and taken himself out of position

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Good: Mason, Coburn, Couturier's line.

Bad: Kimmo's shootout attempt.

Ugly: Trying to sit on the lead in the third period. They still can't confidently close out games.
I don't think they had the legs to play the third properly.

Ugly was Downie not realizing that they would take any chance to call a penalty on him and they missed his obvious trip in the third. The guy is dumb.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:54 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
I hope the Flyers "sitting back" in the third was them just being tired and didn't want to be burned by the Jets quickness.
It had nothing to do with them being tired. It was the same game plan they used against Pittsburgh and were lucky to hang on in that one.

11-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos4 View Post
So, did everyone enjoy Buff's audition for the Flyers?
I don't want to pay the price to trade for him, but anyone who thinks a high scoring defenseman who can skate really well and plays 26 minutes a game wouldn't help the Flyers is delusional.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:36 AM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I don't think they had the legs to play the third properly.

Ugly was Downie not realizing that they would take any chance to call a penalty on him and they missed his obvious trip in the third. The guy is dumb.
They never showed the call on him right after that. Did anybody see it? Was it a make up call or another legitimate penalty?

Sucks we only came out of that with one point when we could've gotten the 2nd so many times. Can't be unhappy with 5/6 points on that road trip though.

blinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 224
Jets before getting that peanlty were like a midget team skating for the first time

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
It had nothing to do with them being tired. It was the same game plan they used against Pittsburgh and were lucky to hang on in that one.
Where they were also tired from the night before...

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 01:37 PM

**** the shootout. It's a free point to those who don't deserve it. Winnipeg are flying up the standings right now despite not actually beating anyone. It's ********.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:58 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Where they were also tired from the night before...
They get a pass for taking the foot off the gas during two third periods in three games because they're tired? The best teams in the NHL aren't routinely shutting down in the third period when they're winning because they're tired. Had the Flyers been losing going into the third period of either game would they get a pass for not scoring in the third if they were "tired"? I doubt it. If we're worried about the team being tired in back halves of back-to-back games or the third game in four nights, this team is definitely not making the playoffs.

They play 14 back-to-backs this year and play 3 games in 4 nights 11 times, often with break being after the fist game and having the 2nd & 3rd games back-to-back.

Tired legs is an excuse that isn't going to cut it for falling into a defensive shell in the third period.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Garbage Goal

My exact feelings as Timonen was announced in the shootout:

"What the ****? Come on Berube...ah **** it, why not?"

It was a horrible lineup decision yet again, but at the same time we don't have many forwards good at shootout-type goal scoring and we didn't really deserve to win anyhow.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Garbage Goal

Also, yeah you can't say they were tired as an excuse for leaning back on a lead and letting a parade of shots come through.

This is supposed to be a professional NHL team with professionally trained athletes, not some beer league team. They should be able to handle one back-to-back especially when any given NHL season involves numerous back-to-back situations.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 03:10 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

You're a glass half full kind of guy, aren't you, Garbage Goal?

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote