HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2013, 02:21 PM
That

vCash: 500
Watched the Frontenacs-Knights last night. It continued to reaffirm my opinion that difference between Sam Bennett and Jared McCann isn't the 11 or so draft spots that the ISS says they are.

While I still think that Bennett is the better prospect at this point, the difference between them is marginal. Both being terrific two-way players, dynamic offensive threats, and insanely competitive. The biggest difference between them, in my opinion, is skating. Bennett is faster and has a more powerful stride. McCann is still a good skater, but not quite on Bennett's level.

Old
11-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKing View Post
Goldobin.
Absolutely this. I haven't watched much Sting action this year, but last year I did and Goldobin was a very good, promising player. I'd be all for the Habs winning the Cup and selecting him with the 30th overall pick.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
11-16-2013, 04:09 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

That's unrealistic, Crimson. We would obviously deal that 1st for Jagr.

Old
11-16-2013, 04:24 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
That's unrealistic, Crimson. We would obviously deal that 1st for Jagr.
No no no. Don't you know Jagr doesn't want to come to Montreal. He'd have to waive his no-plekanec clause to come here. I'm pretty sure he said many times that he doesn't want to play with Plekanec. We'll just deal the 1st to Nashville for the rights to Radulov.

Old
11-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Mathletic

Another goal for Vanier today.

Old
11-16-2013, 05:44 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Watched the Frontenacs-Knights last night. It continued to reaffirm my opinion that difference between Sam Bennett and Jared McCann isn't the 11 or so draft spots that the ISS says they are.

While I still think that Bennett is the better prospect at this point, the difference between them is marginal. Both being terrific two-way players, dynamic offensive threats, and insanely competitive. The biggest difference between them, in my opinion, is skating. Bennett is faster and has a more powerful stride. McCann is still a good skater, but not quite on Bennett's level.
Bennett is definitely out of reach for the Habs without winning the lottery. While McCann is Bergevin's type of player as is Dylan Larkin, the RH center the Habs are missing could very well be in Bennett's class with development Nick Schmaltz is the real deal too.

Playing in the USHL, Schmaltz doesn't get the exposure that CHL players receive, but he's got speed, moves, playmaking skill and a good shot. He's still working at rounding out his defensive play but has made strides since stints with the USNTDP. Barbashev is the other center of note, IMO the Habs would be happy to draft any of the four. Depends upon which player they deem BPA when they draft, I would really like to see the Habs with three 1st round choices.

With Bergevin, Dudley, Timmins and a great scouting staff, the Habs could draft the final three pieces necessary for their future Stanley Cup Championship team. There are some very good players available in the 2014 Entry Draft and I believe they are ready for to swing for the fences. Much like Calgary, Columbus and Buffalo last year the Habs could draft a great line with 3 - 1st's, with players between picks 5-23 being very similar in value.

A line featuring McCann centering Draisaitl at LW and Connor Bleackley at RW could be a dominating force in the NHL within 3yrs. Three players in the mold of the Habs team for the next generation with a mix of great playmakers and snipers, the Habs top nine will be a force to reckon with.

Yes the Habs are close enough to the depth and quality on defence and goal for a SC Champion team. A select group of finishers to complement the prospects that will join the Habs over the next two years and they will have an "Elite Team". Capable of playing any type of game a team presents with authority, much like the Chicago Black Hawks have now.

Old
11-18-2013, 01:31 AM
AJMHABS
#31 for Vezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Bennett is definitely out of reach for the Habs without winning the lottery. While McCann is Bergevin's type of player as is Dylan Larkin, the RH center the Habs are missing could very well be in Bennett's class with development Nick Schmaltz is the real deal too.

Playing in the USHL, Schmaltz doesn't get the exposure that CHL players receive, but he's got speed, moves, playmaking skill and a good shot. He's still working at rounding out his defensive play but has made strides since stints with the USNTDP. Barbashev is the other center of note, IMO the Habs would be happy to draft any of the four. Depends upon which player they deem BPA when they draft, I would really like to see the Habs with three 1st round choices.

With Bergevin, Dudley, Timmins and a great scouting staff, the Habs could draft the final three pieces necessary for their future Stanley Cup Championship team. There are some very good players available in the 2014 Entry Draft and I believe they are ready for to swing for the fences. Much like Calgary, Columbus and Buffalo last year the Habs could draft a great line with 3 - 1st's, with players between picks 5-23 being very similar in value.

A line featuring McCann centering Draisaitl at LW and Connor Bleackley at RW could be a dominating force in the NHL within 3yrs. Three players in the mold of the Habs team for the next generation with a mix of great playmakers and snipers, the Habs top nine will be a force to reckon with.

Yes the Habs are close enough to the depth and quality on defence and goal for a SC Champion team. A select group of finishers to complement the prospects that will join the Habs over the next two years and they will have an "Elite Team". Capable of playing any type of game a team presents with authority, much like the Chicago Black Hawks have now.
Sounds good and all, but how exactly are the Habs supposed to get 3 1st rounders for this upcoming draft?

Even if we fall out of playoff contention and have a fire sale, I don't see us getting that much back, more like up and coming prospects and 2nd-3rd round picks with maybe getting one 1st round pick.

Old
11-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

All we need is Ritchie.

Old
11-18-2013, 09:12 PM
pcamp

Tkachev is small but he produced half the scoring chances that russia had tonight

Old
11-19-2013, 06:54 AM
BrimStone64

Ivan Barbashev or Ehlers at this point. Who should we take

Old
11-19-2013, 07:13 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Ivan Barbashev or Ehlers at this point. Who should we take
Barbashev.

Old
11-19-2013, 09:34 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Sounds good and all, but how exactly are the Habs supposed to get 3 1st rounders for this upcoming draft?

Even if we fall out of playoff contention and have a fire sale, I don't see us getting that much back, more like up and coming prospects and 2nd-3rd round picks with maybe getting one 1st round pick.
When I say 1st round picks, I'm not talking top ten picks, late 1st round picks are valuable when Timmins & Company have choices in the top 30. Connor Bleackley is ranked 27th, Eric Cornel @ 39th, B. Lemieux @ 46th, Ryan MacInnis @ 28th, Christian Dvorak @ 44th, there are players IMO that may be on the cusp of the 1st round and Timmins pays attention to details like no other Chief Scout. Those 25-30 picks could be the glue guys for a Championship team in the future, Jake Virtanen @ 57th is another.

If the Habs slip out of playoff contention instead of climbing, now that Prust, Emelin et al are back then the Habs pick could be top ten and their 2nd top 40. Add a couple of late 1st round picks and the Habs could fill many bottom six positions with high quality role players, similar to Kris Versteeg. The top ten pick could be Draisaitl or Ritchie two players that are very effective offensively and make room for a Lehkonen, Andrighetto, or Hudon type player.

It's time for our fans to learn that one line with size won't make the Habs a Championship team. All the teams around the league are way ahead of the Habs in this regard, years of trying to win with small talented players has left them behind. It's time to make positive steps into the new NHL, where having one Theoren Fleury is good and two too many.

Each player that's small, means finding two to make room that have extra talent to succeed.(A problem compounded by 30 teams doing the exact same things.) So getting those draft choices isn't only needed it's necessary, which calls for evaluating the talent in our system early, keeping the best. Deciding if trading for a draft choice is better than keeping certain prospects or veterans, players with limited upside DD, etc.

The Habs have a real strength in talent evaluating, with acknowledged experts in Bergevin, Timmins, and the cream of NHL scouting. This should be the greatest edge the Habs have going forward and other teams are acquiring draft choices, why not the Habs?

Old
11-19-2013, 09:56 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post

If we actually have a fire sale and trade Markov, Plekanec, Gorges and Gionta then I can see us getting more 1st round picks.

We still have Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Pacioretty, Bournival, Prust, Briere and Bourque for the top 9.

Defense would be very poor.

Old
11-19-2013, 11:14 AM
LeHabsMan

I have been reading through this thread waiting for it to be a bit closer to draft time before I put in my opinion on this draft. But I think our need with our 1st round pick is clear.

A solid, big, two-way defender.

Looking forward, we have Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Max Pacioretty, Lars Eller and Michael Bournival who are still young enough to be here for a while. Add in guys like Collberg, De La Rose, McCarron, Hudon and Lekhonen who have good chances of being impact NHL'ers.
Vail, Leblanc, Nystrom and Crisp as depth guys if all goes well and Andrighetto and Reway can also be NHL'ers but higher risk.

Then on D. PK Subban and Alexei Emelin should be here for a long time. Beaulieu and Tinordi are pretty much our only hopes at good top 4's. Pateryn, Dietz, Nygren and Thrower have top 6 upside but not really impact players IMO.

I think Ekblad is way too high for us so I think we should target Haydn Fleury, Roland McKeown and Brycen Martin. They should go between 10 and 20 which is where I think the Habs will draft. Jack Glover, Jacob Middleton and Alexis Vanier should go later in the 1st round and are also good targets.

Haydn Fleury: Left Handed, 6'3, 205 pounds
Roland McKeown: Right Handed, 6'1, 185 pounds
Brycen Martin: Left Handed, 6'1, 180 pounds
Jack Glover: Right Handed, 6'3, 175 pounds
Jacob Middleton: Right Handed, 6'3, 195 pounds
Alexis Vanier: Left Handed, 6'4, 210 pounds

Fleury, Martin and Vanier can make a great Partner for PK in the future. Righties like McKeown, Glover or Middleton can be the 2nd pairing right d-men.

Yes I am suggesting drafting to fill a need.

Old
11-19-2013, 01:45 PM
JAVO16

PK will be close to or in his thirties by the time these guys are ready to be top pairing defensemen. Picking a defenseman because he might be a good partner for Subban is a flawed way to plan for the draft. Some of the defenseman you mentionned might be good picks at our spot, but there's no need to reach for a defenseman imo.

Old
11-19-2013, 02:33 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

I was impressed by Gorbunov yesterday, can't wait to see him live tomorrow. Very good speed, his line with Barbashev and Zykov did damage.

He's an overager, I know, but he's intriguing.

Old
11-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
PK will be close to or in his thirties by the time these guys are ready to be top pairing defensemen. Picking a defenseman because he might be a good partner for Subban is a flawed way to plan for the draft. Some of the defenseman you mentionned might be good picks at our spot, but there's no need to reach for a defenseman imo.
Plus the system is deeper on defense than anywhere else. I would go with BPA once our pick comes.

Old
11-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I was impressed by Gorbunov yesterday, can't wait to see him live tomorrow. Very good speed, his line with Barbashev and Zykov did damage.

He's an overager, I know, but he's intriguing.
Can't be an overager, 93 guys are not eligible to play in the WJHC and this the Super Series.

Old
11-19-2013, 03:43 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Plus the system is deeper on defense than anywhere else. I would go with BPA once our pick comes.
Maybe it is.. but there's little in terms of what's near pro level.. Beaulieu, Tinordi are the top 2.. Nygren, Dietz, Ellis, Bennett, Thrower, Pateryn are the next tier of guys that have potential but we have yet to see if they can make the necessary steps. Then what?

Old
11-19-2013, 03:48 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
I never mentionned reaching for one. I think McKeown and Fleury are worthy of the 10-15 pick. The rest of the guys will move a lot throughout the year in the rankings.

So PK will be nearing 30. Then who do we have? Beaulieu and Tinordi? We dont have a defense for the future.

Old
11-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Maybe it is.. but there's little in terms of what's near pro level.. Beaulieu, Tinordi are the top 2.. Nygren, Dietz, Ellis, Bennett, Thrower, Pateryn are the next tier of guys that have potential but we have yet to see if they can make the necessary steps. Then what?
Not sure what you mean by "little in terms of what's near pro level"?

Beaulieu Tinordi Nygren Ellis Dietz Pateryn are all pro right now and Thrower Bennett Didier could be as early as next year. They won't all make it but there is quality and quantity in that group.

I have no problem drafting 2-3 d-men next June, guys that will play 2-3 more years CHL NCAA or Europe and enter the pipeline at that point, but it's not a pressing need.

Old
11-19-2013, 06:01 PM
S Bah

The Habs have an absolute need for two way offensive forward with physicality. Think David Backes or Connor Crisp type or a top end Center, Bennett, McCann or Larkin, Schmaltz as a RHC if picking out of top ten. Is Vladimir Tkachev #19 of Russia the clone of Pavel Datsyuk #13 of Detroit's star quite possibly from what I seen.

Last edited by S Bah: 11-20-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old
11-20-2013, 11:02 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

A few thoughts on the game tonight, and the draft eligible players I liked:

Obviously, Audette was impressive again, he didn't play much but made the most of it, his goal was a tap in from a great Dauphin setup, but you always love to see players go in the dirty areas. For a 17 year old, he looked better than I thought he would.

Tkachev is a name to keep in mind, I know, he's small, but he's slick. His hockey IQ is pretty high too.

Two other favourites of mine for Russia, Butuzov and Baldaev.

Butuzov gave a run for his money to Grégoire in the 2nd period, he's really quick in his change of directions. He's a big guy too, 6'1'' 200lbs. He's an overager, but I'll keep an eye on him for the remainder of the Super Series, so far I'm a fan. He was definitely one of the best forwards for Russia, with Zykov and Barbashev.

Baldaev is another overager, big strong D, good on both sides of the ice. Was to me, the best D for the Russians.

Barbashev is a gamer, should go top15, if not top10.

Old
11-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
A few thoughts on the game tonight, and the draft eligible players I liked:

Obviously, Audette was impressive again, he didn't play much but made the most of it, his goal was a tap in from a great Dauphin setup, but you always love to see players go in the dirty areas. For a 17 year old, he looked better than I thought he would.

Tkachev is a name to keep in mind, I know, he's small, but he's slick. His hockey IQ is pretty high too.

Two other favourites of mine for Russia, Butuzov and Baldaev.

Butuzov gave a run for his money to Grégoire in the 2nd period, he's really quick in his change of directions. He's a big guy too, 6'1'' 200lbs. He's an overager, but I'll keep an eye on him for the remainder of the Super Series, so far I'm a fan. He was definitely one of the best forwards for Russia, with Zykov and Barbashev.

Baldaev is another overager, big strong D, good on both sides of the ice. Was to me, the best D for the Russians.

Barbashev is a gamer, should go top15, if not top10.
Barbashev is a kid that you like more as you watch him more. Yes he has above average skill, but the thing I like about him is how he shows up defensively and in the physical game.

He's played LW in the SS, I find he is a better center but looked good on LW with Danault and Jaskin the last 25-30 games last season.

Old
11-21-2013, 11:25 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Not sure what you mean by "little in terms of what's near pro level"?

Beaulieu Tinordi Nygren Ellis Dietz Pateryn are all pro right now and Thrower Bennett Didier could be as early as next year. They won't all make it but there is quality and quantity in that group.

I have no problem drafting 2-3 d-men next June, guys that will play 2-3 more years CHL NCAA or Europe and enter the pipeline at that point, but it's not a pressing need.
Whoops, I meant to say that we have little that's not already at the pro level or almost there. We haven't drafted a D in 2 years except for Thrower.

Closed Thread