HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Those that can't get RDS: How do you all feel about the so called HNIC?

Old
11-16-2013, 08:16 PM
beenhereandthere

vCash: 500
Those that can't get RDS: How do you all feel about the so called HNIC?

I am in the States and I find it disgusting, that the decision makers that be, forget that there's another team in Canada, that's almost as popular as the Leafs.
It's always been this way, even, when up until last year, the Leafs basically sucked and the Canadiens, usually made the playoffs, even if they lost in the 1st round most of the time.
There doesn't seem to be enough outrage, to have it even 2/3rds Leafs games and 1/3 Habs or even Ottawa.
I mean, if the Yankees were on the MLB game of the week in the States, every Saturday and the Red Sox were not, would you all think that would go over well?
Buffalo and Toronto, over the Habs and the Rangers for all except those near or in Quebec?
Or, do most Habs fans figure, since they can watch the games on RDS, that it's not that big a deal, even if, you tune down the sound and listen to English radio?

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Noob616

The Leafs just dwarf every other team for TV ratings in English. The Habs have a ton of support too but a large portion won't watch games in English on CBC regardless, truth be told I hardly ever watch the games on CBC even if it's available, I know enough French that I'd rather watch RDS even if they're massive homers at times. The Leafs and Bruins ratings last year in the playoffs were significantly higher than Habs-Sens, even with two Canadian team fanbases the language split for the Habs and the sheer size of the Leafs TV market was too much. It's annoying as a Habs fan to have a publicly funded "national" broadcaster that has such a hard on for the Leafs, but it's just not worth getting worked up for anymore. I'd rather just watch the games on RDS instead.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:48 PM
macavoy

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 08:55 PM
macavoy

OP,

I live in Texas and I bought the NHL package from Comcast, tonight is the 2nd night that the Habs game wasn't televised. I think this time it was because it was too far down the list of games that could be on the channels here, last time it was blacked out.

I paid $160 so I could listen to the english games. I could have bought Center Ice but I chose to get it on my TV instead and overall I'm happy with the decision becuase I never have to worry about stream quality.

I'm watching a decent stream tonight online http://freecast.in/ch1.html

Old
11-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
OP,

I live in Texas and I bought the NHL package from Comcast, tonight is the 2nd night that the Habs game wasn't televised. I think this time it was because it was too far down the list of games that could be on the channels here, last time it was blacked out.

I paid $160 so I could listen to the english games. I could have bought Center Ice but I chose to get it on my TV instead and overall I'm happy with the decision becuase I never have to worry about stream quality.

It's not on Center Ice tonight because it's being broadcast on the NHL Network.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:02 PM
yoyo999

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Leafs command more advertising dollars because as mentioned they generate higher ratings.

Hab fans have an option on which channel they want to watch the game. Leafs fans across canada have to watch it on CBC so everyone is funnelled to one network.

Hockey night in Canada used to be on in French on SRC, the french CBC so they technically were on nationally every Saturday. I live in the GTA and know several Torontonians who say they'd regularly flip back and forth.

if I'm not mistaken, even Quebec would get the leafs on CBC as their 7pm game. Please correct that if it's wrong though.

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:03 PM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

honestly, as much as I need full coverage of the Habs, RDS is pure garbage man. I have to watch the games through them when at home because my parents switched to the "french" package of Bell Expressvu not too long ago. I was vexed to say the least
90% of their panel is a complete joke.

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:04 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 284
Being a Habs fan in Nova Scotia, it sucks that if the Leafs are playing on a Saturday Night then that's the only game I see on CBC

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:49 PM
hockeyfan2k11

CBC doesn't give a poop about anyone or anything but $$$. It is what it is.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 09:51 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
CBC only cares about money. Leafs get them that.

I'd at least put the Habs on the second HD channel here though to give those fans not in the Toronto market an option.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them." - PK Subban
He has physical charisma. When he talks he sounds like a gps device in a car. "In 500 feet, belie dat!" - NewAgeOutlaw
M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:25 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo999 View Post

Leafs command more advertising dollars because as mentioned they generate higher ratings.

Hab fans have an option on which channel they want to watch the game. Leafs fans across canada have to watch it on CBC so everyone is funnelled to one network.

Hockey night in Canada used to be on in French on SRC, the french CBC so they technically were on nationally every Saturday. I live in the GTA and know several Torontonians who say they'd regularly flip back and forth.

if I'm not mistaken, even Quebec would get the leafs on CBC as their 7pm game. Please correct that if it's wrong though.
I was watching the Habs on an HD English channel, but I'm not exactly sure the channel number or broadcaster. I thought it was CBCMH channel 1030 but I could be wrong. It was in the 10nn range though. (I have Bell Expressvu satellite and just about every English channel offered.)

I get most games in HD English and there just a few that I have to go to RDS for (which I don't like since I only have RDS as regular definition RDS channel 123).

Last edited by RealityBytes: 11-16-2013 at 10:32 PM.
RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:38 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
OP,

I have Center Ice (on TV through my cable company) and the Habs were not televised either.

Its a contractual thing. When NHLN televises a game, none of the cable companies can carry it on their feeds. Its exclusive to NHLN.

Regarding the OP, its like anything else. I hate CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC and dont watch FOX. So I simply dont watch them.

And like macavoy said, the internet is a wonderful thing.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo999 View Post

Yes we get the Leafs games in Quebec. In the 90's everyone west of ontario got the Leafs games and everyone east of Quebec got the Habs game. Now its all Leafs all the time.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Beendair Donedat

CBC should read the TBC, it hasn't been "Canadian" for a very long time. Ottawa and Habs fans both get the shaft unless Crosby is coming to town.

It's kind of nice seeing the Leafs lose on television though on a regular basis, so it takes the sting off seeing those no good ****s every week.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:03 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

CBC HNIC is basically for English Canada WASP consumption. This demographic's focus is Toronto. It seems they've abandoned Montréal to RDS, and the commentators on CBC HNIC sort of align against the Habs.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:49 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I have Center Ice (on TV through my cable company) and the Habs were not televised either.

Its a contractual thing. When NHLN televises a game, none of the cable companies can carry it on their feeds. Its exclusive to NHLN.

Regarding the OP, its like anything else. I hate CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC and dont watch FOX. So I simply dont watch them.

And like macavoy said, the internet is a wonderful thing.
I haven't even checked if I have NHLN now that I paid for the center ice. So does that mean I could watch the game on NHLN if I had it? I know in the past, they would televise a HNIC Saturday night game.

Old
11-17-2013, 10:37 AM
JPGoHabsGo

The part that irks me is that on Rogers I have access to tons of regional CBC channels, but yet I STILL cant choose to watch the Canadiens game for some reason....

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:05 AM
bluenose1

I would rather just watch Habs on RDS....watched Coachs Corner last night to hear Cherry go on about how sexy he finds Ted Nolan..Cherry is one of the main reasons why I do not watch hockey on CBC.

bluenose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:08 AM
lostriver

I stopped watching HNIC a couple of years ago. Want my taxes back.

lostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
Being a Habs fan in Nova Scotia, it sucks that if the Leafs are playing on a Saturday Night then that's the only game I see on CBC
I seem to catch plenty of Habs games on CBC. For all the complainers, here`s the actual breakdown of the CBC HNIC broadcast schedule for this season:

Here is the breakdown.

29 Habs games---Montreal plays on 25 out of 26 Saturdays, two Sundays, and three weekday games
25 Leafs games---Toronto plays on 23 Saturdays and two weekday games
17 Senators games with 14 of them on Saturday, two weekday games, and one on Sunday
15 Canucks games with 13 of them on Saturday, one game on Friday, and one on Sunday
15 Jets games---11 of them on Saturday, two weekday games, and one on Sunday
13 Oilers games---11 of them on Saturday and two weekday games
12 Flames games---all of them on Saturday

So yeah, the CBC does the exact opposite of ignore the Habs. And whether or not I agree with every single panelist they`ve ever had on or not, it`s a much higher concentration and wider spectrum of NHL "wisdom", and I`ll take CBC`s production quality and less politically-driven rhetoric over RDS any day.

But yeah, when my cable box lets me down, the internet easily gets me around any regional blackout obstacles so a big QQ to the uninformed OP.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 12:44 PM
sandysan

Quote:
OP,

The have game was on nhl network last night, usually its the leafs but leafs sabres was moved to center ice. I'd prefer it was on nhln because its the only way to get it in high def, my cable provider broadcasts zero center ice games in HD.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:02 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I seem to catch plenty of Habs games on CBC. For all the complainers, here`s the actual breakdown of the CBC HNIC broadcast schedule for this season:

Here is the breakdown.

29 Habs games---Montreal plays on 25 out of 26 Saturdays, two Sundays, and three weekday games
17 Senators games with 14 of them on Saturday, two weekday games, and one on Sunday
15 Canucks games with 13 of them on Saturday, one game on Friday, and one on Sunday

So yeah, the CBC does the exact opposite of ignore the Habs. And whether or not I agree with every single panelist they`ve ever had on or not, it`s a much higher concentration and wider spectrum of NHL "wisdom", and I`ll take CBC`s production quality and less politically-driven rhetoric over RDS any day.

But yeah, when my cable box lets me down, the internet easily gets me around any regional blackout obstacles so a big QQ to the uninformed OP.
I can't remember the last time a saturday Habs game wasn't on CBC, I'm surprise they "only" have 25 of 26 this year.

reffree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Here is the breakdown.

The OP is talking about national coverage, though. You'll only get Habs games if you're in/around Quebec.

I imagine Toronto brings in higher ratings and I don't watch on CBC anyway, so I don't really care.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:

Here is the breakdown.

And most of those Habs games are 'aired' online only, and their streaming technology is a generation or two too old, at best. In the east you're stuck watching the laffs on the tube, or online you watch the cbc slideshow.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:52 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
The Leafs just dwarf every other team for TV ratings in English.
That's actually not true.

One thing that is often misreported when talking about television popularity for Canadian hockey teams is that the Leafs are the most popular.

When the Canadiens air on CBC proper, if you take their ratings plus the french language ratings, the Canadiens draw more viewers then the Maple Leafs to the network. Also, if you go by province, outside of Ontario, the Canadiens draw more viewers then the Maple Leafs in every other province.

Based just on English language viewers, the Leafs, thanks to the size of Ontario draw more viewers but to say they "dwarf" every other team is even close to factual. They are bigger, but the Canadiens, when on English CBC, draw a number that isn't that far off.

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote