HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Apparently there's talks of Hudon going over to Gatineau.
Are you connected to the Q, or just know who to follow ? You seem to have all the info for anything Q related.

Did Thrower kinda make Shinkaruk fight ? If not, then he should learn not to **** with Thrower. Man, is he ever one tough mofo.

Old
11-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Are you connected to the Q, or just know who to follow ? You seem to have all the info for anything Q related.

Did Thrower kinda make Shinkaruk fight ? If not, then he should learn not to **** with Thrower. Man, is he ever one tough mofo.
I love Thrower, i think he's one of our best draft picks in years, and even during his off year last season i wasn't worried in the least. You can just tell by his style of play that he's going to be an NHLer. To me he's exactly what you you need in a slightly undersized defenseman; a guy who's offensive but tough as nails. See Kevin Bieksa and Andrew Ference. This is also why the rumour of the Habs re-signing Diaz makes me want to vomit. Soft players, especially d-man, just can't cut it in today's NHL. You need every player on your team to have at least a little bit of grit. Even Nygren in Hamilton has it.

Old
11-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I love Thrower, i think he's one of our best draft picks in years, and even during his off year last season i wasn't worried in the least. You can just tell by his style of play that he's going to be an NHLer. To me he's exactly what you you need in a slightly undersized defenseman; a guy who's offensive but tough as nails. See Kevin Bieksa and Andrew Ference. This is also why the rumour of the Habs re-signing Diaz makes me want to vomit. Soft players, especially d-man, just can't cut it in today's NHL. You need every player on your team to have at least a little bit of grit. Even Nygren in Hamilton has it.
Same here.

I mean, I thought we were starting a trend.

Tinordi 6'6, Beaulieu 6'2, Pateryn 6'3, Nygren 6'1, Dietz 6'1, Ellis 6'2. Thrower is 6'0, but he's one guy who plays like he's 6'4.

Emelin at 6'2, Subban at 6'0, but he's obviously a star... We have players with size, toughness, physicality. They can skate and move the puck. Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn will likely need full time NHL jobs next season. Nygren might as well.

Gorges, Emelin, Subban*, Markov* That leaves 2 spots, which is still fine. 1 more season wouldn't hurt for either 3, but 1 more season for all might.

Diaz, at times, makes the play you wouldn't expect him to and he blocks a ton of shots, which you wouldn't really expect either. However, he's pushed off the puck easily and even makes it so he's 2nd into the corner. His shot is pretty weak and it's usually into shin pads, or wide.

Old
11-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Same here.

I mean, I thought we were starting a trend.

Tinordi 6'6, Beaulieu 6'2, Pateryn 6'3, Nygren 6'1, Dietz 6'1, Ellis 6'2. Thrower is 6'0, but he's one guy who plays like he's 6'4.

Emelin at 6'2, Subban at 6'0, but he's obviously a star... We have players with size, toughness, physicality. They can skate and move the puck. Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn will likely need full time NHL jobs next season. Nygren might as well.

Gorges, Emelin, Subban*, Markov* That leaves 2 spots, which is still fine. 1 more season wouldn't hurt for either 3, but 1 more season for all might.

Diaz, at times, makes the play you wouldn't expect him to and he blocks a ton of shots, which you wouldn't really expect either. However, he's pushed off the puck easily and even makes it so he's 2nd into the corner. His shot is pretty weak and it's usually into shin pads, or wide.
Honestly, i think whats going on is that Bergevin is still not being allowed to re-build exactly the way he wants to. I think there is still pressure from above to win now, and maybe as much as he wants to throw caution to the wind and play younger more inexperienced guys like Beaulieu and Tinordi, he's forced to play it safe by keeping guys like Diaz, and sign veteran d-men like Murray.
I personally don't see the Habs winning this year or next, and i feel like Bergevin is also smart enough to see this. However, maybe there is still that "we must make the playoffs" mantra coming from above, and he's not allowed to risk having two rookies playing on D, this year or next year for that matter.

Old
11-16-2013, 03:44 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
I am still for the Habs drafting Tyler Hill, a big LW that can play, needs work on his skating but has good hands and shot. Given the Habs already have Mike McCarron RW and Connor Crisp (Center) each capable players with size and grit, with Hill on LW. They would have a line 3rd or 4th for the rough going in the playoffs to send a message, when needed.

In the regular season the three could be distributed throughout the lineup, making room for the go -to players to set plays up, whilst they create havoc at the goalmouth.

Old
11-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
No, I don't have special connections. They talked about it on MaCommunauté last night during the Val d'Or vs. Baie-Comeau game. MaCommunauté is a channel available only for Telus users I believe. That said, I watch a bunch of games via the Q website. Since I'm a Telus user I get all games online for free, so during each game local commentators often give tidbits of info about whom might get traded where, so that's where most of my info comes from. Also, knowing former players also helps at times.

Old
11-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Honestly, i think whats going on is that Bergevin is still not being allowed to re-build exactly the way he wants to. I think there is still pressure from above to win now, and maybe as much as he wants to throw caution to the wind and play younger more inexperienced guys like Beaulieu and Tinordi, he's forced to play it safe by keeping guys like Diaz, and sign veteran d-men like Murray.
I personally don't see the Habs winning this year or next, and i feel like Bergevin is also smart enough to see this. However, maybe there is still that "we must make the playoffs" mantra coming from above, and he's not allowed to risk having two rookies playing on D, this year or next year for that matter.
Hopefully, but considering how bad Bouillon and Murray are, having a rookie, or two wouldn't hurt. Hopefully a spot is left open for a dman. There's also Drewiskie... He's on contract for next year, too.

Quote:
No, I don't have special connections. They talked about it on MaCommunauté last night during the Val d'Or vs. Baie-Comeau game. MaCommunauté is a channel available only for Telus users I believe. That said, I watch a bunch of games via the Q website. Since I'm a Telus user I get all games online for free, so during each game local commentators often give tidbits of info about whom might get traded where, so that's where most of my info comes from. Also, knowing former players also helps at times.
Ahh that makes sense.

I was really impressed by McCarron in that fight with Hill. He seemed a lot better.

Old
11-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I am still for the Habs drafting Tyler Hill, a big LW that can play, needs work on his skating but has good hands and shot. Given the Habs already have Mike McCarron RW and Connor Crisp (Center) each capable players with size and grit, with Hill on LW. They would have a line 3rd or 4th for the rough going in the playoffs to send a message, when needed.

In the regular season the three could be distributed throughout the lineup, making room for the go -to players to set plays up, whilst they create havoc at the goalmouth.
What does the video do for his case? Shows he can grapple with another big American kid learning to fight.

His skating "needs work" all right..he turns like a battleship. His shot has some zip when he gets it off but he's not a goal scorer. I suppose he'd hit more if he could skate, but I would not categorize him as gritty either.

There are reasons why 30 teams passed on him last year, the main one being his skating. He's improved some since the start of the season, but it's going to have to continue. Ottawa's not exactly a powerhouse and he'll get power play opportunities...on a team like London he'd be lucky to be in the lineup.

As for Thrower, I wouldn't go so far as considering him one of the best draft picks in years, but I'm not giving up on him either. You have to like the toughness and shot, but the issues with his decision making, inconsistency in effort, and average agility/skating skills for a dman his size remain. To his credit, he is improving in those areas, but it remains to be seen if he will be able to crack the Habs some day - he'll be competing with the likes of Bennett for a spot, and Bennett is a much better skater in all facets, and a better decision maker because of that skating ability. Thrower is still a long way away from the NHL. Hopefully he makes it some day.

Old
11-16-2013, 06:06 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
What does the video do for his case? Shows he can grapple with another big American kid learning to fight.

His skating "needs work" all right..he turns like a battleship. His shot has some zip when he gets it off but he's not a goal scorer. I suppose he'd hit more if he could skate, but I would not categorize him as gritty either.

There are reasons why 30 teams passed on him last year, the main one being his skating. He's improved some since the start of the season, but it's going to have to continue. Ottawa's not exactly a powerhouse and he'll get power play opportunities...on a team like London he'd be lucky to be in the lineup.

As for Thrower, I wouldn't go so far as considering him one of the best draft picks in years, but I'm not giving up on him either. You have to like the toughness and shot, but the issues with his decision making, inconsistency in effort, and average agility/skating skills for a dman his size remain. To his credit, he is improving in those areas, but it remains to be seen if he will be able to crack the Habs some day - he'll be competing with the likes of Bennett for a spot, and Bennett is a much better skater in all facets, and a better decision maker because of that skating ability. Thrower is still a long way away from the NHL. Hopefully he makes it some day.
Well thanks for straightening out the deficiencies in Tyler Hill's game, certainly sounds like he's got a lot of work ahead of him to make the ECHL. Like you say Bennett is going to be heavy competition for any Dman in Hamilton and IMO may make the Habs at training camp. As far as the fight video, I've had more physical square dances with some cowgirls and they could probably throw better punches.

Old
11-16-2013, 06:32 PM
CP31

Mccarron scores

Old
11-16-2013, 06:33 PM
vad87

The London Knights ‏@GoLondonKnights 2 min
GOALLLL!!! A centring pass from Basso finds @MacAttackUSA93 in a crowd in front and he makes no mistake. 1-0 good guys. #KnightsTalk

McCaron ends the streak!!!

Old
11-16-2013, 06:43 PM
vad87

He strikes again, 2nd of the night!

The London Knights ‏@GoLondonKnights 1 min
GOAL!!! @MacAttackUSA93 with his 2nd of the period courtesy of a nice feed from @10_CD on a 2 man rush. #Vision #KnightsTalk

Old
11-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Hallelujah.

Doing it against the team the Belleville team he refused to play for too.

Reway has 2 assists tonight. Up to 17th overall in the Q points race - with 3-5 fewer GPs than many players around him.

Old
11-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Nice to see Mac turn it on.

Old
11-16-2013, 07:10 PM
penopekoo

Anyone watching the London game? Wondering how he's looked.

Old
11-16-2013, 07:24 PM
FazChenyuk

Mccaron 2 goals here comes the monster

Old
11-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo View Post
Anyone watching the London game? Wondering how he's looked.
Timmins is ..he's at the game.

Old
11-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Mathletic

Only to stir the pot

McCarron's 3 goals have come against the two weakest teams in the OHL

Old
11-16-2013, 07:45 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
Quote:
Only to stir the pot

Hopefully he can score playing for weak teams... He's going to need it in a couple years...

Old
11-16-2013, 07:55 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Only to stir the pot

He is preparing himself to face the Leafs in the NHL.

Old
11-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Mathletic

my bad, thought he scored his first goal against Sarnia and not Saginaw. Had in mind the video from the Quest to the Cup series when he scored against Sarnia in pre-season.

Old
11-16-2013, 08:22 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
He is preparing himself to face the Leafs in the NHL.
The leafs are way better then us...

Old
11-16-2013, 08:27 PM
FazChenyuk

Collberg scored today

Old
11-16-2013, 08:33 PM
HCH

Did I hear right... 5 points for Reway tonight?

Old
11-16-2013, 08:41 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
The leafs are way better then us...
At fighting, not at playing hockey.

Closed Thread