HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Svitov

Old
12-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Byrral

vCash: 500
I was a big Svits basher during the Gallant era. I still believe he is slow but it's because he stops moving his feet. Saying that, he is now playing in a system that allows him to play better positionally and use his big body. The system is playing to his strength and he is big and strong. He has greatly improved under Hitch and like I said before, he has a chance to stick around.......as a fourth line checking center (if he turns out to be our fourth line center, we have a good team). Feds contract is for one more year. I would like to see a top line free agent center signed for next year (use Carter, Berard and Erikssons money and you have a $5mil center). Brule and Brassard are the centers of the future but will they be ready to assume that role next year.....no.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I was a big Svits basher during the Gallant era. I still believe he is slow but it's because he stops moving his feet. Saying that, he is now playing in a system that allows him to play better positionally and use his big body. The system is playing to his strength and he is big and strong. He has greatly improved under Hitch and like I said before, he has a chance to stick around.......as a fourth line checking center (if he turns out to be our fourth line center, we have a good team). Feds contract is for one more year. I would like to see a top line free agent center signed for next year (use Carter, Berard and Erikssons money and you have a $5mil center). Brule and Brassard are the centers of the future but will they be ready to assume that role next year.....no.
good lord, where's our D?!? are we going to re sign foote? now everyone is startin' to really skeer me...

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
good lord, where's our D?!? are we going to re sign foote? now everyone is startin' to really skeer me...
Pluck....our D is fine for next year (Foote, Klesla, Westcott, OKT, Hainsey, Johnson). Next year Russell also has a chance to make the team. Foote and Feds contracts are up after next year which will relieve plenty of cash for your stud DMan . IMO we are hurting up the middle more than on D right now.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Pluck....our D is fine for next year (Foote, Klesla, Westcott, OKT, Hainsey, Johnson). Next year Russell also has a chance to make the team. Foote and Feds contracts are up after next year which will relieve plenty of cash for your stud DMan . IMO we are hurting up the middle more than on D right now.
well, as long as you promise me we'll have enough warm D bodies... i'm inclined to let you shop for your centre fair is fair.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:40 AM
coyote

Svitov

I was looking at his career stats and am very surprised that he was drafted so high. I would think that he would be a fourth line player and on wing not at center. Does not see the ice well enough to make the plays. ( head down ) Manny should be on the second line at center.

coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:21 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
I was looking at his career stats and am very surprised that he was drafted so high. I would think that he would be a fourth line player and on wing not at center. Does not see the ice well enough to make the plays. ( head down ) Manny should be on the second line at center.

I had entertaining ideas of moving him to the Wing to, but he's best served in the middle, he is sound defensively and he can be dominating in the faceoff circle.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Keep in mind that the year after he was drafted, he spent it sitting in a russian military base, not playing hockey. It killed his development.

It would be interesting to see how he would have turned out had this not happened.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:54 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
Keep in mind that the year after he was drafted, he spent it sitting in a russian military base, not playing hockey. It killed his development.

It would be interesting to see how he would have turned out had this not happened.
Too True. I think he may be starting to break out, he'll never be a 30 goal guy,
but maybe a consistent 10-15 goal guy with 20 assists and 115 PIMS.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 04:57 PM
coyote

After last nights scrap I can honestly say that he is not soft. He also made some good plays but not enough to warrant second line center duty. I like his physical play but his skateing and play makeing ability makes him a third or fourth line center or maybe a winger. His speed or lack of will really be noticeable against teams like Buffalo, Nashville, Edmonto etc. Keep him but not as a first or second liner.

coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
After last nights scrap I can honestly say that he is not soft. He also made some good plays but not enough to warrant second line center duty. I like his physical play but his skateing and play makeing ability makes him a third or fourth line center or maybe a winger. His speed or lack of will really be noticeable against teams like Buffalo, Nashville, Edmonto etc. Keep him but not as a first or second liner.
Agreed......

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
I agree that he isn't quite a 2nd liner. But you can't deny that he isn't starting to become one. And honestly, who would you put over him? Svitov>>>Malhotra IMO, especially recently.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 08:12 AM
osucbj03

Send a message via AIM to osucbj03
Svits is playing very well now. Just like EVERY other player, it took him 2 months to adjust to the new rules and stop hooking. Everyone went through it last year, Nash went through it in Jan last year when he came back from injury. So, for all intents and purposes, completely erase his penalties from earlier in the year from your memory. If you hold it against him, you are going to blind yourself to his skill.

Also, just like every other young player, the more confidence he gets the more he's going to dance with the puck. He has flashes of brilliance with the puck- that's one of the reasons he was drafted 3rd overall. But very few players can come straight to the NHL and dance with the puck, unless they are tremendously gifted players (Crosby, Ovechkin) or their strong suit is puck handling (Z).

Take Brule, he's going to start wowing us with puck handling and great passes. Svits will do the same, but it will be more big hits/defense/a little stick handling/nice passing. Fritsche is going to do the same, but to a much lesser extent. Most players start their career trying to keep up with the speed of the game and trying to pace themselves accordingly, so it's wrong to judge too quickly. Confidence breeds development.

It's my opinion that Svits and Fritsche will be fighting for the 2nd/3rd line spot for a while. Since they bring such different styles, it will be fun having a coach that can use them accordingly. Svits and Fritsche's role in Cbus will largely be due to what kind of lineup we have and who they are paired with.

osucbj03 is offline   Reply With Quote