HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate Tom Renney's Coaching so Far...

View Poll Results: Rate Renney So far
Outstanding 3 2.13%
Above Average - Nothing that great but hes doing good 27 19.15%
Average 50 35.46%
Below Average - Winning some games yes, but it could hurt the future of the season/team 46 32.62%
Horrible - Wake up Renney, MANY problems! 15 10.64%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-06-2006, 03:12 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Thought I'd jot down another issue. How come Renney stopped rolling 4 lines this season? It worked all last season and it kept our older guys somewhat fresh in the condensed season. The extra Olympic games clearly took their toll and one can only imagine how we would have fair if not for that tournament. This season comes around and Renney bails on a winning formula. The only time I can recall him using 4 lines effectively this season was in San Jose to much success. Maybe one of our best all around games. He hasn't really gone back to that dispite the success in that game. And the only reason he did it was due to the 3rd game in 4 nights during a wester road trip. Just something else that bothers me in regards to his inability to notice the obvious.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Fletch

because...

he doesn't have the opportunity to play Hollweg/Hossa-Moore-Ortmeyer. Perhaps when Ortmeyer returns, so does the play of the fourth line.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:58 PM
94now

After rating him Outstanding I just found out that I was not the only one. That was strange, because thought I was alone. I don't consider Renney an outstanding coach. He, however, does quite excellent job under circumstances his moron boss subjected him to. After Jagr non-return, Cullen clearly showing Kamenski-Fleury syndrome, Immonen failure to impress up to expectations, Lundqvist being absent and Ortmeyer still ill, he managed to keep the ship afloat, positioned it for the deep run and sent the ball back to Sather's court: "Get me a valid Rucchin replacement or I will play Immonen!"

I rarely agree with anyone, but him. Thus, my rating is high.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:33 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

So um....does anyone want to change their vote?

Ill change my from Below average to HORRIBLE...WAKE UP RENNEY

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
After rating him Outstanding I just found out that I was not the only one. That was strange, because thought I was alone. I don't consider Renney an outstanding coach. He, however, does quite excellent job under circumstances his moron boss subjected him to. After Jagr non-return, Cullen clearly showing Kamenski-Fleury syndrome, Immonen failure to impress up to expectations, Lundqvist being absent and Ortmeyer still ill, he managed to keep the ship afloat, positioned it for the deep run and sent the ball back to Sather's court: "Get me a valid Rucchin replacement or I will play Immonen!"

I rarely agree with anyone, but him. Thus, my rating is high.
Well, it's a good thing you're not going to be his replacement .

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:52 PM
crisb

I'm going to say below average. Obviously, he hasn't done well at all, but it could be worse. We could be under .500 and then there will be some real problems. I think our future is dark, but it beats me as how the rangers are above .500

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 11:09 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I gave him a lot of credit last year, but this year I see him falling into a lot of predictable traps. Typical for a coach who doesn't have confidence:

1) Emphasize D to the detriment of offense. Every coach of course focuses on D, but because the coach has a lot more influence on D and generally has to simply trust the players to use their offensive prowess to score, the tendency of unconfident coaches is to focus on D more and more (this is particularly true in sports like hockey and soccer that are continually flowing).

Then, when the team loses he can say "hey, we only gave up two goals - I can't put the biscuit in the basket for them."

2) Play "responsible" players to the detriment of "creative" ones. This really translates to play vets over rookies and play grinders who will do whatever they can to coach asks of them (particularly as point 1 sets in), but really don't have much in the way of offense to contribute. In large part, this is the coach playing the guys he "trusts" - who he feels won't make him look like a fool.

3) Overplay the stars. They've done it before and the unproven kids haven't. So you don't take a chance on them and wind up burning out your most important players.

Look, Renney isn't the whole problem here, but I have to say that I think his decisions, particularly over who to play and how much are starting to fall into the below average category. Point 2 in particular drives me crazy about him.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 11:44 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Can you believe...

Renney was a candidate for the Jack Adams last year?

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote