HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Hasek on the CBJ

Old
12-22-2006, 10:39 AM
PubOFH

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
We are still the 4th worst team in the NHL...and to make people respect us...wins will only do.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Nice first post 'spoon.

What hacks me off most about Hasek's post is its validity. I love the way the Jackets are playing lately, but then I check the standings and.... dammit!

This is not to suggest the sky is falling or I'm extra down on the team, just cold reality.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:15 AM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Nice first post 'spoon.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
What hacks me off most about Hasek's post is its validity.
Nothing burns like the stone cold truth.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
We are nowhere near playoff hopeful status because we still never play better than our weakness(es) on any given night.

If we're tired, we never play like we ain't.
If we're intimidated, we never play like we ain't.
If we're panicked, we never play like we ain't.

When we score first, we're competitive. But when a game tightens up, when we give up an early goal, when we see a team making a comeback, when a call goes against us, we are in trouble. We play bad, bad hockey when the other team pushes back.
Now that is some insight..... very nice, I'm sure confidence has alot to do with the things you have described as well as experience and ability....we have a ways to go before the league truely respects us, but we are making some positive strides for the first time in six years.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:58 AM
213 Sentinel

In the interest of screen space, I'm omitting the quote. But good job, Spoon.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:14 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'm sure confidence has alot to do with the things you have described as well as experience and ability
Oh, ITA. Totally! In fact, I think that ability to play beyond one's shortcomings is really almost completely about experience and will to win and fire and drive and so on. The "intangibles", as they say.

Only semi-related, I think that's why hockey is such a great sport, NHL in particular. In my opinion, it is the only major sport in which sheer will can battle overwhelming talent to a standstill on a regular basis.

Most other leagues, you match up position by position, figure out where the most talent lies and you will have a very good chance of picking the eventual champion. Hockey isn't nearly so crystalline. The only other stuff that comes close are one-on-one sports like boxing and mixed martial arts, where the better fighter often loses to someone who just plain wants it more.

Last edited by OnYourIgnoreList: 12-22-2006 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Lax approach to spelling
OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Oh, ITA. Totally! In fact, I think that ability to play beyond one's shortcomings is really almost completely about experience and will to win and fire and drive and so on. The "intangibles", as they say.

Only semi-related, I think that's why hockey is such a great sport, NHL in particular. In my opinion, it is the only major sport in which sheer will can battle overwhelming talent to a standstill on a regular basis.

Most other leagues, you match up position by position, figure out where the most talent lies and you will have a very good chance of picking the eventual champion. Hockey isn't nearly so crystalline. The only other stuff that comes close are one-on-one sports like boxing and mixed martial arts, where the better fighter often loses to someone who just plain wants it more.
Another on the mark post Spoon..... I said once that the talent of professional NHL hockey players is pretty close (superstars excluded)....700 of the best to ever play the game. The thing that separates the winners from the loses is sheer will and desire to overcome adversity as you so eloquently described..... in other words...heart.

Old
12-23-2006, 02:41 AM
14ari13

Wings fan here.
That was not very profecional of Hasek to say. I did not like it when I read it.
Anyhow, see the positive about it. Maybe it fires up your players. I think this comment is better than "they are a good young team". Maybe this comment will do more good to your team than any other comment.
Good to see your team and the Hawks playing better lately.
I hope you make playoffs this season.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:52 AM
Blades of Steel 1972

Send a message via Yahoo to Blades of Steel 1972
Im also a Wings fan, and while Hasek should have worded his thoughts better, he was right. Maybe Europeans are more blunt? LOL

Colombus is on the upswing, and Im glad to see it, but they have been horrible since entering the league.

Do you know how many times I have to hear "The Wings only win because every team in your division other than nashville sucks"?? Ugh hearing that makes me mad, but it has truth to it.

Every team gets the same thing until they stop sucking. The Wings got it in the 80s, and they really sucked back then.

anyways, those are my thoughts.

Blades of Steel 1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Steel 1972 View Post
Im also a Wings fan, and while Hasek should have worded his thoughts better, he was right. Maybe Europeans are more blunt? LOL

Colombus is on the upswing, and Im glad to see it, but they have been horrible since entering the league.

Do you know how many times I have to hear "The Wings only win because every team in your division other than nashville sucks"?? Ugh hearing that makes me mad, but it has truth to it.

Every team gets the same thing until they stop sucking. The Wings got it in the 80s, and they really sucked back then.

anyways, those are my thoughts.
Everything you said is true...I hope to get a bump from the Hasek comment....I think he was pissed he did so poor Monday and was pulled....I hope he starts next week aganist us....

Old
12-23-2006, 09:32 AM
CBJSlash

Something I'm sure all of us face is the casual fan base. When people find out that I'm a CBJ fan it is usually followed by a "but they suck don't they." I'm sure you've all heard it before.

When I explain the differences in the style of play since Hitchcock came aboard they look like I'm blowing smoke up my own ***.

People look at records to determine success. Our record sucks, it never should have gotten as sucky as it did, but it does. Until we can change the overall record we are subseptible to these types of things.

This is the only comment since the HE began. Most of the comment we have heard from other teams are that "these are not the same Jackets", comments like that.

Sticks and Stones fellas Sticks and Stones.

Wasn't it Hasek that ruined his team's season last year?

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:59 AM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Cup contenders consistently play better than their weaknesses. Playoff hopefuls usually play better than their weaknesses. Doormats rarely play better than their weaknesses.

Using this as a guide, it's definitive that the CBJ are still a doormat. We are nowhere near playoff hopeful status because we still never play better than our weakness(es) on any given night.

Really sums up the past five-plus seasons of CBJ hockey in a concise and easy-to-read format. Nicely done.

Quote:
Even with our recent win streak (which, I will admit, had me hopped up on goofballs), what we see is that we play well when adversity is removed from the equation, but we fold up like a hooker in the back of a Pinto when things get rough. When we score first, we're competitive. But when a game tightens up, when we give up an early goal, when we see a team making a comeback, when a call goes against us, we are in trouble. We play bad, bad hockey when the other team pushes back.
Hard to top that first bit quoted above, IMO. But you've done it ...

We've gotten the Hitchcock bounce. Looking at the past few games, with the CBJ clawing and scratching to maintian leads in their wins, I really don't think we'll get much more out of them until Hitchcock has had a chance to input a bit on personnel. I think the "expansion" culture simply runs too deep in this current bunch.

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 11:07 AM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
The NHL is divided into two camps, playoff teams and losers. I know some people get upset when we talk about making the playoffs like it is the goal of the season but the fact is that the playoffs are a right of passage. The Cup is the ultimate goal but to get any respect a team has to start playing past April. Look at Nashville. They used to be a joke too but look at them now.

Until we can make it to the post-season on a regular basis we will be "a team like Columbus." Hasek's comment shows a lack of tact but he only said what any player on an "elite" team would be thinking in that situation.

The Dancin' Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 02:02 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

More proof that "The Dominated"'s time has passed and he has become senile and crotchety in his old age... I think "Dom" should worry about what might happen the next time he trys that move against Nash again and he ends up breaking a hip...

I hate you Hasek, I hate you more than Maltby, Hell, I even hate you more than Holmstrom. When I go to the Nat and you're in the Net, I'm going to boo you and I will curse your name everynight before I retire to bed.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
I hate you Hasek, I hate you more than Maltby, Hell, I even hate you more than Holmstrom. When I go to the Nat and you're in the Net, I'm going to boo you and I will curse your name everynight before I retire to bed.
Now this is dedication

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 10:10 AM
213 Sentinel

You know, as of right now as I write this, it sure looks like Mr. Hasek has more insight into our team than us deluded fans. Check our record. Check it over the last five-plus seasons. How is he not justified in saying what he says? Is it classy? No, but it's true. The more shocking thing is that more veteran players like him haven't said that same thing in the past.

A team that can't ever win without scoring the first goal sucks. A team that can get a goalie pulled one night and then get shut out by that same goalie two nights later and allows five goals against them sucks. A team that gets shut out seven times before even one half of the season is over sucks.

Hasek's statement was a reality check. I for one am glad he said it. Like some have said on here, it should be a bulletin board item in the locker room. He is far from the only player in the NHL who feels the way he does about this team.

Old
12-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Matt

I donb't think God to take over the coaching of this team and make them a winner.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 10:27 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Like a poker player that doesn't know how to bluff.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 10:31 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 Sentinel View Post
You know, as of right now as I write this, it sure looks like Mr. Hasek has more insight into our team than us deluded fans.
Q: What would Jim Mora say about the Blue Jackets historically?
A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3NDiMorX-o

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 10:44 AM
213 Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Q: What would Jim Mora say about the Blue Jackets historically?
A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3NDiMorX-o
That about says it all for last night.