HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leafs/Oilers Moderate Swap

Old
11-16-2013, 11:36 PM
dubplatepressure

vCash: 500
Leafs next trade is to upgrade on D... not forward.

dubplatepressure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Mapleleafs Fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
You would be helping yourself alot too. Or would u prefer to have a 3rd line player centering your top line.
Is it too hard for you to understand that we don't have salary cap? I kept myself repeated again and again. We don't want ****ing Gagner without Bozak going back.

Mapleleafs Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I'd rather have Bozak centering our top line than Gagner at the cost of Franson, Kulemin and a 1st. Omark isn't doing anything in this league. If you can't see why this a bad proposal then there's really no point in discussing it.
I was talking about my proposal.

Kulemin + Holland for Gagner.

I think we can all agree the OP's deal was bad.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Mapleleafs Fan*

Quote:

Please don't stretch your comments. Vancouver needs #2 center badly. Start a new thread and convince Vancouver fans that Gagner is a steal.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

very brutal...

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Hurt

Quote:

I think we can all agree the OP's deal was bad.
Why do the Leafs acquire someone of similar to slightly better skillset to Bozak? He's expected to be back before the end of this month. It's not like Gagner is in some crazy upper tier over Bozak. Plus the cap doesn't work as someone mentioned.

11-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Mapleleafs Fan*

Quote:
This is the first time you mentioned the salary cap issue. Don't act like you repeated it. If u had mentioned it off the bat there wouldn't be a problem.
Wow, I don't believe this. A guy who is praising a player lots and lots of times, proving that he knows a lot about the guys in our team and Edmonton team and doesn't know the salary issues for either team. This is turning out to be quite interesting.

Old
11-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Auzzie19

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleafs Fan View Post
Please don't stretch your comments. Vancouver needs #2 center badly. Start a new thread and convince Vancouver fans that Gagner is a steal.
What are you talking about...

I'm not stretching anything, I said from the beginning the OP's proposal was garbage & I came up with my own idea.

And Santorelli is doing just fine as a 2C, then we can always move Kes back to C.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 12:02 AM
BayStreetBullies*

Liles for 2015 1st rounder, and that's being very generous.

BayStreetBullies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 12:07 AM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
Terrible proposal, but thats stretching it. Gagner is the most valuable asset in that deal IMO. Imagine him centering Kessel & JVR instead of say Bozak.

I rather have Bozak centering them than Gagner to be honest, everyone likes to give him a hard time but he does have great chemistry with Phil and he handles his defensive responsibility on that line very well.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Canada4Gold

don't want Gagner at what it would cost us. We have 3 compentant centers. Bozak at 1C isn't ideal but the cost of upgrading to Gagner wouldn't be worth the benefits

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:12 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Jesus View Post

Cody Franson
Nikolai Kulemin
1st round pick 2014

Sam Gagner
Linus Omark

Wow our 1st too? I'm not even going to bother. No.

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:42 AM
TorontoTrades

Take out the pick and Leafs still say no.

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:35 AM
seanlinden

I'm curious as to what makes Canucks fans think the Leafs want anything to do with Sam Gagner.

Yes, we're short on centres right now -- that's generally what happens when your #1 and #3 centres get hurt, and #2 centre gets suspended. A team who's been as good as the Leafs have been this year, is not going to trade for a $4.8m centre with 2 years remaining on his contract. The Leafs needed a body who can play a top 6 role, and they made the right move getting Peter Holland.

Without turning this into a whole Bozak debate again... I think it's important to remember that JvR-Bozak-Kessel is one of the most productive lines in the league when playing together. It's why the Leafs committed 5 years to him. They're not looking to replace him, and certainly not with a guy who cannot deliver what Bozak delivers to that top line. They don't need a more creative guy, they need a stablizing presence, and that's exactly what Bozak is.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Fabulous
Life & Death

That is a garbage deal for Toronto.

Fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Macslow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Jesus View Post

Cody Franson
Nikolai Kulemin
1st round pick 2014

Sam Gagner
Linus Omark
I don't see how picking up another 5-6 defenceman, another injury prone winter winger only to gut our center position even further helps the Oilers..

I guess there is that 1st round pick.

Macslow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Punch Drunk Loov
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 2835
Thank you for trying to address a need for Toronto, but this is not a good offer

Punch Drunk Loov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 09:52 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
And Gagner is better than all of them.

Imagine.

Gagner
Kadri
Bozak
McClement

Down the middle.
Gagner definitely gets a bad rap on these boards, but he's not exactly infinitely better than Kadri or Bozak. He's better offensively but not by much.

And he's not exactly a fit for us outside that we could use a center. Just like the Oilers, we lack size down the middle and a player capable of driving possession. Gagner doesn't fit that. What's more is his level of offensive isn't high enough above Kadri or Bozak to consider trading for him with his contract of 4.8 million a year. We simply can't justify adding a guy who's best season offensively doesn't even hit 20 goals or 50 points (albeit not in PPG).

Now he does have potential to improve at only 24 and being a past 6th overall pick, but unless the Oilers were willing to take on a fair chunk of his salary, the risk doesn't make sense for the Leafs.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:00 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Gagner definitely gets a bad rap on these boards, but he's not exactly infinitely better than Kadri or Bozak. He's better offensively but not by much.

And he's not exactly a fit for us outside that we could use a center. Just like the Oilers, we lack size down the middle and a player capable of driving possession. Gagner doesn't fit that. What's more is his level of offensive isn't high enough above Kadri or Bozak to consider trading for him with his contract of 4.8 million a year. We simply can't justify adding a guy who's best season offensively doesn't even hit 20 goals or 50 points (albeit not in PPG).

Now he does have potential to improve at only 24 and being a past 6th overall pick, but unless the Oilers were willing to take on a fair chunk of his salary, the risk doesn't make sense for the Leafs.
The one problem with expecting improvement from Gagner -- is that despite the fact that he's only 24, he's played over 400 games in this league. Because he came in at 18, he's got the experience that most guys in their late 20s have... so he's probably not getting any better.

That being said, the difference between Gagner and Bozak is that Gagner's better offensively / more creative, and Bozak is a much more well rounded player. Considering the type of offence that JvR/Kessel are capable of generating, what they really need is the stabilizing presence between them. The Leafs will take Kadri's potential on the 2nd line and Bolland's two-way game on the third line all over Gagner, and they're not going to trade for him to be a 4th line centre.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:04 AM
jacks

Ya i hate to but have to agree .This is just really bad for the Leafs.Really bad.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I would say this is payback for all the bad offers from you guys over the past week or so- but the fact Gagner is the best player in the deal is lost on you guys
Personally, i'd take franson over gagner....Kuli over Gagner...Hell, i'd prefer our 1st over gagne...so....no. Think about team needs and tell me why we need ANOTHER 2/3 center.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:34 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Oiler fan here . Omark has 0 value . Gagner does not get you those 3 pieces . While i think Gagner goes underrated on HF there no way you can expect those 2 players and the TML 1st .

I think Gagner is a good fit for the TML . I think Gardiner would be ok with a small plus on the Leafs side .

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
And Gagner is better than all of them.

Imagine.

Gagner
Kadri
Bozak
McClement

Down the middle.

No Gagner is an undersized, poor defensive center who does not win faceoffs. He is a much worse fit than Bozak or Kadri with Kessel and JVR. And he is not replacing Bolland on the 3rd line due to the 3 factors above

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Oiler fan here . Omark has 0 value . Gagner does not get you those 3 pieces . While i think Gagner goes underrated on HF there no way you can expect those 2 players and the TML 1st .

I think Gagner is a good fit for the TML . I think Gardiner would be ok with a small plus on the Leafs side .
At this stage with Bozak, Kadri, Bolland down the middle (while all are in the lineup), Gagner is NOT a good fit for TML. We do not need another #2-#3C and especially not at the cost of Gardiner PLUS something.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote