HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC 167 GSP vs. Hendricks (UPD Post 774: GSP announces semi-retirement/title forfeit)

Old
11-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Cando

vCash: 500
I hope he does retire after seeing him like that... looked like he was having a breakdown on the podium

Cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:18 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
His head is not straight. He needs to. His mentor was right this week.
I never said it was wrong. Just disappointing.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:19 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
"That being said, concussion or previous head injury does seem to be one of the risk factors correlated with an increased risk of development of depression."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle4171563/
Either that or being a perfectionist, his obsessive compulsive patterns got to him.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:19 AM
Mynameismark*

GSP was beaten tonight despite the judging of the fight.

GSP fought desperate in the last round. Why feel the need to do that if GSP himself didn't think he had to submit the guy or KO him to get a win?

Then after, GSP can barely summon the brain cells to speak properly, and Hendricks was totally alert and confident that he had won. I was shocked at the result as were all my buds. He doesnt get that win if his name isnt GSP.

GSP may have landed more, and I think he did well to come back after taking a beating in the first 2 rounds, but the other dude landed the better shots, they were more effective, and of higher quality. GSP was rattled.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:22 AM
No More Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Ehh I dunno, looked to me like Hendricks won that fight. GSP gonna retire on a bs decision? Disappointing for the best there ever was.
JH did win the fight, imo too. But again, as a challenger, you have to finish the fight and not let the judges make the decision. Judges have been ****ing up for many years now and challengers still never learn.

If I was JH, I'd be blaming myself for not knocking GSP out like how he'd been saying in the promos. Instead, he went 5 rounds with GSP, and we should know that its not a good idea to beat a champion.

No More Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:26 AM
WarrenBuffett

Who is GSP's mentor and what exactly were the comments made by the mentor this week?

WarrenBuffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:29 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Who is GSP's mentor and what exactly were the comments made by the mentor this week?
Kristof Midoux. He's Gsp's model and mentor. He said that GSP should walk out of mma NOW.

Old
11-17-2013, 01:31 AM
durojean

I understand how round 1 was to Gsp. He had 1 submission attemp and 1 takedown. He received maybe 1 or 2 stronger punches but gave more.

I do think that St-Pierre looked to have taken more damages in the fight than Hendricks but won the fught on statistics.

I think Hendricks would have won a normal fight against an other contender.

I don't think Hendricks won the belt as St-Pierre won on the stats sheet snd by doing that didn't let Hendricks win by decision.

St-Pierre won because he matched Hendricks and because he was the champion before the fight.

It's like in Hockey, you could do all the good things to wim but still lose by 1 goal even if you played better than the other team.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:31 AM
WarrenBuffett

Quote:
Christophe Midoux. He's Gsp's model and mentor. He said that GSP should walk out of mma NOW.
Thank you. The rationale behind this was because of GSP's health issues? ( + that he has achieved so much etc )

WarrenBuffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 01:33 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Thank you. The rationale behind this was because of GSP's health issues? ( + that he has achieved so much etc )
Here's the link:
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/sports...9_article_POS3

Old
11-17-2013, 01:33 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
He tapped GSP's leg but i dont think he meant to.
He tapped but he didn't mean to what?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:00 AM
DJ Breadman

I thought big rig won, but I thought gustafsson beat bones jones, you gotta really pound the champ to win, that's an old boxing thing that carried over

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:04 AM
TheSenator
The other guys

It's GSP's perfectionism that's driving him to all of this. Both he and his trainer have been quoted saying that you can't be an elite competitor while balancing a family/normal life if you want to succeed in the UFC.

His mentor's also been quoted discussing how George doesn't want to be 40 years old, unmarried and burnt out with no family.

Taking that and his recent comments about settling down and opening an mma school along with the fact that he's been training a young up-and-coming fighter in the mix for a title shot of his own(before tonight anyway) in the same div. under his wing(Macdonald) into account, now seemed like as good of a time to take a step out of the spotlight as ever.

"I told him 'after this one, it’s over! Shine on that night. Finish that dude in front of everyone. Shut your detractors up. If you finish that guy, if you knock him out, then you’ll be free, you’ll be happy to take the microphone and to say that you’re done. To say that you are giving your place to others,'"

That's a quote from Kristof Midoux, GSP's long-time mentor on what he wanted to happen tonight.

Considering that:

A) GSP didn't decisively finish Hendrix

B) Rory MacDonald got beaten pretty badly tonight

and

C) He was most likely suffering from a concussion

His distraught/depressed appearance at the post-fight interview wasn't really surprising. The dude basically had a walk into the sunset planned, everything went wrong(except for the fact that somehow he kept his title) and when he went to address the fan's after his win they were booing him.

I don't know what's going to happen from here, but I definitely wasn't shocked by his actions tonight. I do however wish he was a little more clear about what he was thinking, but you've gotta respect the guys privacy/the fact the he just got punched in the head for 25 minutes before grabbing the microphone.

EDIT: Here's the link to a recent Kristof Midoux interview. It sheds a bit more light on the situation. http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ght-and-might/

Last edited by TheSenator: 11-17-2013 at 02:13 AM.
TheSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:07 AM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Ehh I dunno, looked to me like Hendricks won that fight. GSP gonna retire on a bs decision? Disappointing for the best there ever was.
a win is a win some are nice some are ugly, you watch habs games? LOL

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Hermamoud

It looks like Hendricks was tapping but it just looks strange that he taps a split second before GSP releases the choke...

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:18 AM
TheSenator
The other guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post

It looks like Hendricks was tapping but it just looks strange that he taps a split second before GSP releases the choke...
I caught that too, but I can't tell if his hands actually making contact with GSP's leg from that angle.

Old
11-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreene View Post
I caught that too, but I can't tell if his hands actually making contact with GSP's leg from that angle.
Good point, maybe he's making an "I'm okay" sign to his corner / ref.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:26 AM
Phil Parent
The Lama Of Levity

My feeling is, legitimately, Hendricks won this fight.

But there's a thing in combat where you have to decisively beat the champion to take his belt. And GSP is such a well established champ, that you have to VERY DECISIVELY beat him to take the belt.

Why didn't Hendricks go balls out in the 5th? He seemed content with stalling the fight on the fence. And then in the presser, he said he was only going 70%? What sort of idiot admits to that after losing (yes, he lost!) a fight?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:41 AM
TheSenator
The other guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
My feeling is, legitimately, Hendricks won this fight.

But there's a thing in combat where you have to decisively beat the champion to take his belt. And GSP is such a well established champ, that you have to VERY DECISIVELY beat him to take the belt.

Why didn't Hendricks go balls out in the 5th? He seemed content with stalling the fight on the fence. And then in the presser, he said he was only going 70%? What sort of idiot admits to that after losing (yes, he lost!) a fight?
Dana chewed him out for that.

But I believe you took what he said out of context. He said that because he'd never been in a 5 round fight before he was only throwing with about 70% of his power to retain energy for the championship rounds. Not that he literally want trying hard.

Old
11-17-2013, 02:43 AM
rudethedude66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post

Nuff ****ing said, how did GSP win the 1st round exactly, makes zero sense.
Watch the tape...Hendricks taps when in guillotine in 1st

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:51 AM
RonFournier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGreene View Post
Dana chewed him out for that.

But I believe you took what he said out of context. He said that because he'd never been in a 5 round fight before he was only throwing with about 70% of his power to retain energy for the championship rounds. Not that he literally want trying hard.
He said "70% was enough". I think that's what people didn't like, and I loved White's response to this!

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 02:58 AM
CanadianSharks

No doubt it was a close match, but it pains me to say that I think Kendrick's won that. Nonetheless, you won't hear me complaining about the judge's decision.

CanadianSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:00 AM
RonFournier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khal Drogo View Post
GSP was beaten tonight despite the judging of the fight.

GSP fought desperate in the last round. Why feel the need to do that if GSP himself didn't think he had to submit the guy or KO him to get a win?

Then after, GSP can barely summon the brain cells to speak properly, and Hendricks was totally alert and confident that he had won. I was shocked at the result as were all my buds. He doesnt get that win if his name isnt GSP.

GSP may have landed more, and I think he did well to come back after taking a beating in the first 2 rounds, but the other dude landed the better shots, they were more effective, and of higher quality. GSP was rattled.
Damage is not a UFC judging criteria. The damage done doesn't matter if you don't knock your opponent out. Go look at the stats, round 1 is very tight, rounds 3 and 5 clearly go to GSP. From there anything could happen, and we know the judges tend to give tight rounds to the champion (see: Jones vs Gustafsson). GSP won the fight not because he is GSP, but because he was the defending champion and Hendricks couldn't knock him out or clearly win 3 rounds.

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:13 AM
No More Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
Damage is not a UFC judging criteria. The damage done doesn't matter if you don't knock your opponent out. Go look at the stats, round 1 is very tight, rounds 3 and 5 clearly go to GSP. From there anything could happen, and we know the judges tend to give tight rounds to the champion (see: Jones vs Gustafsson). GSP won the fight not because he is GSP, but because he was the defending champion and Hendricks couldn't knock him out or clearly win 3 rounds.
Exactly. Most people just dont get this. Especially when it's a championship fight. If you're the challenger, you HAVE TO knock the champion out. Hoping for a decision is not going to win you the belt. It's all about points and winning rounds. And GSP knows this.

I do hope they change the judging system though but it is what it is. Its something the fighters and the fans have to accept.

No More Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 05:23 AM
RC51

At best he won the fight on the slimmest of margins. at worst he lost the fight on the slimmest of margins. but the one thing that is clearly true. The fat lady is on stage and belting out a BIG song right in GSP's ears.
as for the looser, yes he could have been given the win but hey you have to finish STRONG to take a belt away from a champ. This is NOT NEW, this is what GSP had to do to get to the top why should the new guy get a break that GSP did not. It's always hard to see your champ win on a single point given by judges and not on a clear overpowering defense of his title. I can sure imagine that exact same outrage if the judges went the other way by 1 point. In fact the loser did NOT knock out GSP, he did NOT win every round, he did NOT finish strong. YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE JUDGES WITH NO CHOICE AT ALL TO EARN A TITLE. That is where JH made his 1 mistake, I bet he won't do that again. GSP did that 9 times but this time GSP failed to do it and well THUS a last fight on a BIG controversy. GSP will retire now as he should.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote